Happy Owner

10.1" capacitive, $269 for 8GB, $296 for 16GB, HDMI output, webcam...
rowdyjoe
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Happy Owner

Post by rowdyjoe »

I've been using my Archos 101 for nearly a month with no problems. I really like the little device as it frees me from my desktop and my laptop. No more bulky lump sitting in my lap heating up my, uh, lap while surfing or flinging Angry Birds. 8)
I use Skyfire for my browser and it does just about everything I want in that area. I've been able to find free or very low cost apps and games to load that are fun and useful.
The battery life is great and the portability is terrific.
I bought a leather fitted case for protection and, of course, a screen protector and added a 32gig SD card. The card was definitely over kill as I'll probably never use that much storage.

RJ
taylorabc
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: Happy Owner

Post by taylorabc »

It's nice to hear of other happy owners. Like you, I have had very few problems with my 101. We're part of a minority, though. :?
ChrisH
Archos User
Archos User

Post by ChrisH »

taylorabc wrote:It's nice to hear of other happy owners. Like you, I have had very few problems with my 101. We're part of a minority, though. :?
I have mine for 6 months or so and no major concerns... we may be in the minority on this forum but that's because most people here are looking for help/answers with problems. For my use it's a great machine and has more or less replaced the laptop.
8Gb Archos 101
jamie41
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by jamie41 »

Aww...

Bless
butterflygirl
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by butterflygirl »

I absolutely love my 101 and 70. I'm just bummed because the usb host port and deep sleep went out mine.
jrbmed08
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by jrbmed08 »

I'm pretty happy with my 101 too. It's had its share of problems, and I probably wouldn't recommend it to people who aren't already well-versed in the Android system, because mine required a lot of "tweaks" to get it to do everything I wanted it to do. But now I'm running UrukDroid, and it's pretty fast and stable. It can now tether with my Droid (now THAT was a saga!), and it plays all the videos and reads all the files I need. Yahoo messenger works pretty well, although I wish Skype supported video chat for Android (but that's not Archos's fault).

I have only a few complaints...
-it reboots randomly, and it occasionally gets stuck in an endless boot loop that drains the battery until I turn it off manually
-Google Music app doesn't work (force closes or reboots when I try to play a song)
-occasionally the touchscreen stops responding (fixed by a reboot)

But on the whole I'm happy with it - I take it everywhere, and it's almost has replaced my laptop for travel (I still take the laptop for longer trips). It was a lot cheaper than an ipad, and I prefer it over the ipad for its aspect ratio, microSD and USB slots, and the subversive feel I get from having an Android instead of an Apple! :D
jamie41
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by jamie41 »

butterflygirl wrote:I absolutely love my 101 and 70. I'm just bummed because the usb host port and deep sleep went out mine.
Sorry to hear you were bummed :( .

Have you tried one of these? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dunlopillo-43-2 ... 362&sr=1-7

I live in fear of the dreaded USB death, but I've never used Deep Sleep on any of my devices, so that doesn't bother me. :oops:

Do you prefer the A101 or the A70? Use one more than the other? Which one did you buy first?

Just being nosy :)
butterflygirl
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by butterflygirl »

jamie41 wrote:
butterflygirl wrote:I absolutely love my 101 and 70. I'm just bummed because the usb host port and deep sleep went out mine.
Sorry to hear you were bummed :( .

Have you tried one of these? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dunlopillo-43-2 ... 362&sr=1-7

I live in fear of the dreaded USB death, but I've never used Deep Sleep on any of my devices, so that doesn't bother me. :oops:

Do you prefer the A101 or the A70? Use one more than the other? Which one did you buy first?

Just being nosy :)
I think "bummed" has a different meaning in the US than in the UK ;)

I use the 101 more now than the 70 (mainly because of web and reading comics), but i carry the 70 in my purse. Bought the 70 first because i thought the 101 would be too big.
jamie41
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by jamie41 »

butterflygirl wrote: I think "bummed" has a different meaning in the US than in the UK ;)

I use the 101 more now than the 70 (mainly because of web and reading comics), but i carry the 70 in my purse. Bought the 70 first because i thought the 101 would be too big.
Bummed doesn't mean anything at all in the UK, but it sounded painful :( .

I bought the A101 first because I just had to have one of them just out of curiosity, and I thought the A70 was too much of an overlap with my A5ITs.

I eventually bought the A70 out of curiosity, because I was able to get it half price new, and because I bought the new Copilot app as a half price special offer for the A101. The new Copilot runs perfectly well on the A101, except for the fact that the display only shows in portrait mode. The A101 is ridiculous enough to use as a SatNav in the car, but in portrait mode it is crazy. Try finding any kind of (affordable) car mount for the A101, let alone one which works in portrait mode! I have found one, but I'm scared to mount it on the screen. The same Copilot runs the same way on the A70, portrait mode only, but is easier to mount vertically.

The one paradox about the 2 devices is the full size USB port of the A101. Given the limited storage capacity of the 2 devices (and my A5IT SSD devices for that matter), my little 1.8 inch 250 GB USB HDD is a godsend with the A5IT, and the A101, but would be of most use with the A70. Unfortunately the A70 USB port does not have enough juice to power the drive. Actually, the A70 doesn't even have enough juice to power my Sandisk 4 GB thumbdrive. So it's sdcards only for the A70. I've stuck a 32 GB micro sdcard in it. That should keep it going, lean and mean, for a while. I guess the A70 250 GB HDD device would make more sense from the point of view of portability combined with maximum storage space. But my experience with the A5IT HDD model has made me decide not have an HDD device like this again.

The A70 feels like a toy compared to the A101 :) Interestingly, small though it is, the A5IT doesn't feel like a toy - it feels like a workhorse.

When these Gen 8 devices die, I probably won't replace them. But I'd be lost without my A5ITs.
ponghclub
Archos User
Archos User

Post by ponghclub »

@jamie41.......thumbdrive work on my a70it but only 2g and less. I dont care much cause i use 16g sd for storage. It work flawless and a good toy to have. ;)
ponghclub
Archos User
Archos User

Post by ponghclub »

my A70it work so well....i'am thinking to get A101 cause larger screen.....good thinking or what?
racky
Archos User
Archos User

Post by racky »

7 itches is the best size for me, anything bigger than that then I would rather use a laptop.
jamie41
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by jamie41 »

racky wrote:7 itches is the best size for me, anything bigger than that then I would rather use a laptop.
I agree.

Or see a doctor :)
Todd6677
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Todd6677 »

I like my A101, but there are a few things I would really like to go away...

1. Occasionally my Archos Still reboots randomly and without explanation. I can have it sitting on the coffee table doing absolutely nothing while watching TV and suddenly without it even being touched I notice the boot splash.

2. Seems like it wakes up awfully slow. I think this has something to do with VTL though because when I first boot up the icons are slightly off and I have to interact with it to get it to center back again. Drives me nuts!

3. my keyboard reacts very slowly when I first start typing. sometimes i get through 2-3 words before it catches up to me.

These aren't "End of the world" things by any means, but minor nuisances. Overall I like the 101 quite a bit. I can't (And wont) use it for the real reason I initially bought it, (I wanted it for note taking in meetings at the office) but for surfing the web and general stuff I used my laptop for, this is a nice lightweight interface to use. I still use my laptop for other things, but the A101 has been pretty good by me.
ChrisH
Archos User
Archos User

Post by ChrisH »

Todd6677 wrote:I like my A101, but there are a few things I would really like to go away...

2. Seems like it wakes up awfully slow. I think this has something to do with VTL though because when I first boot up the icons are slightly off and I have to interact with it to get it to center back again. Drives me nuts!
I use VTL and don't have that problem with waking up slow. The off centre thing is common to other launchers - I used Zeam for a bit and that was the same though it doesn't bother me that much...

I also keep an eye on RAM and if it gets low so stuff slows down I kill all apps not needed. I did use AMM but didn't find it that good. Just wonder if that's why typing lags behind keyboard input? Don't really understand wht so many apps seem to start up in the background - definitely slows the machine down despite what I read about Android special memory management....
8Gb Archos 101
Todd6677
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Todd6677 »

I hear ya chris. Quite honestly it isn't THAT big of a deal when the launcher hoses up.

It just sucks when you have someone say "You have a tablet? Cool... Can I see it?" and you have to get the thing to act proper. It goes from "Oh cool" to "Oh... why didn't you get an iPad?" :(
introdium
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by introdium »

been an android user since April... love our tabs..we have 2...

no big issues at all....
but...
ONE WORD: launcher!

ADW makes mine launch so much faster and smoooooth!

Introdium
hodosil
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by hodosil »

I'm also a happy owner. But I would love more RAM. Which is why I tempted fate when I went to visit some friends that have a 1 year old daughter and I let her play with my 101. No harm done, not even a scratch on the screen (I don't have a screen protector). But I do wonder if there is a way to inactivate the buttons on the side, because she kept pressing them when she was turning it around.
ponghclub
Archos User
Archos User

Post by ponghclub »

hodosil wrote:I'm also a happy owner. But I would love more RAM. Which is why I tempted fate when I went to visit some friends that have a 1 year old daughter and I let her play with my 101. No harm done, not even a scratch on the screen (I don't have a screen protector). But I do wonder if there is a way to inactivate the buttons on the side, because she kept pressing them when she was turning it around.
You should do android reset when it get lag i did last week keep what you needed alway use app2sd.

To inactive the side buttons ...for happy owner and techless like me...no can do! ;)
jamie41
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by jamie41 »

jamie41 wrote: The new Copilot runs perfectly well on the A101, except for the fact that the display only shows in portrait mode. The A101 is ridiculous enough to use as a SatNav in the car, but in portrait mode it is crazy. Try finding any kind of (affordable) car mount for the A101, let alone one which works in portrait mode! I have found one, but I'm scared to mount it on the screen. The same Copilot runs the same way on the A70, portrait mode only, but is easier to mount vertically.
As un updae, in case anyone is interested.

I recently updated Uruk 0.7 with Uruk 1.0. One of the features of Uruk 1.0 is the ability to set "Full screen" mode. I wondered why this Premiunm version of Copilot displayed perfectly on the A5IT, but only in portrait mode on the A70 and A101.

Out of curiosity I tried the Fullscreen mode on my A70, then ran Copilot Premium. It worked. Landscape mode displayed perfectly. Granted, the A70 display now looks like an inflated A5IT, with the ugly fat top bar, but functionally UrukDroid 1.0 has extended the functionality of the Gen 8 devices greatly.

Add to this the large apps partition, and the inbuilt ability to connect to AdHoc Wireless networks, as created by phone apps like JoikuSpot for the Nokia devices, and I think UrukDroid rooting methos is a must have for Archos Gen 8 devices. Archos should think about adopting UrukDroid.

Return to “Archos 101 Internet Tablet”