Upgrade to Android 3.0?

10.1" capacitive, $269 for 8GB, $296 for 16GB, HDMI output, webcam...
Petter
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Upgrade to Android 3.0?

Post by Petter »

Dear Archos fans!

I recently purchased the 101 and is extremely satisfied, and pleased about all the information gathered in this forum! One thing I am wondering is if it is possible to upgrade the tablet to Android 3.0 in the future?

Cheers,
Petter
downlinx
Archos User
Archos User

Re: Upgrade to Android 3.0?

Post by downlinx »

as of right now no one knows, as the os is relatively new, but there is speculation about 2.3 (gingerbread)
Bad_Karma
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Bad_Karma »

Considering the amount of bugs that are introduced by Archos with each firmware update, imagine what a pleasure it would be to be working with Android 3 on your device..
KB3MMX
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by KB3MMX »

Bad_Karma wrote:Considering the amount of bugs that are introduced by Archos with each firmware update, imagine what a pleasure it would be to be working with Android 3 on your device..

Really?? Like what??

I've been super happy with my A101 tablet!
KB3MMX
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by KB3MMX »

Petter wrote:Dear Archos fans!

I recently purchased the 101 and is extremely satisfied, and pleased about all the information gathered in this forum! One thing I am wondering is if it is possible to upgrade the tablet to Android 3.0 in the future?

Cheers,
Petter

I'm sure it will be available once 3.0 rolls out
WetSparks
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by WetSparks »

I was watching a tech prog this morning and they were reviewing the tech show in the US. As part.of the review they were looking at a range of Android tablets. They said that Froyo was not really ment for 10" screens but for the smaller mobiles. Version 3 apparently is being written for 10" screens.
ra7im
Archos User
Archos User

Post by ra7im »

You know, all the high end tablets which support honeycomb said so in their advertising campaigns, because it's a deal breaker for a lot of people, so in my opinion, if Archos ever intended to roll an update to honeycomb, it would said so from the first day Gen8 saw light, take samsung galaxy tab for example, before that tab went to production, in it's ads they bragged about supporting honeycomb.
so i think we have a very small opportunity to see honeycomb on our Gen8 devices.
PrivateerXTR
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by PrivateerXTR »

Be that as it may, Archos may not get us Honeycomb.. but some code-monkey over at XDA will be working a port of that. Bet on it.
AllenPapapetrou
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by AllenPapapetrou »

ra7im wrote:You know, all the high end tablets which support honeycomb said so in their advertising campaigns, because it's a deal breaker for a lot of people, so in my opinion, if Archos ever intended to roll an update to honeycomb, it would said so from the first day Gen8 saw light, take samsung galaxy tab for example, before that tab went to production, in it's ads they bragged about supporting honeycomb.
so i think we have a very small opportunity to see honeycomb on our Gen8 devices.
The Galaxy Tab has all the right HW for current Google certification. Google surely would not bring out Honeycomb and lose Samsung.

Archos has never had an Android device with all the right HW.

Samsung can advertise and be true. Archos can't, yet.

Allen
-An old geek 8)
5IT|A70S|A101
rscolo
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by rscolo »

I spoke with the Archos folks at their booth at CES a couple of weeks ago. They assured me that 3.0 would be made available for the 101 as soon as they have it ported and tested. So it may not be very soon but it should be coming. I specifically asked about the memory issue and they said it wouldn't be a problem.
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

Honeycomb is likely as it introduces official legal Google Marketplace support for all tablets, no need to be limited in hardware requirements and Google will automatically filter apps based on which are optimized for which device, encourage people to make more Tablet optimized Android apps.

You want to be sure?

Wait for Mobile World Congress next month, I'll video-blog from there on my http://ARMdevices.net , there Google will probably show full Honeycomb for real, not just videos of it, see my video where I play around with the Honeycomb UI (I don't know of anyone else having done that on video like I have): http://armdevices.net/2011/01/06/honeyc ... face-demo/

From then on, more infos should be coming out on exact release date of Honeycomb source code, exact release date of Honeycomb tablets, which existing Android tablets can upgrade to it and more.
sdho
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by sdho »

I like what Charbax was doing in the video ROTFL....the guy was talking and Char is tap tap tap taping away.

Return to “Archos 101 Internet Tablet”