How Many People Have Asked If It's An Ipad?

10.1" capacitive, $269 for 8GB, $296 for 16GB, HDMI output, webcam...

How many people have asked you if your 101 is an Ipad?

Poll ended at Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:53 am

None
No votes
Less than Five
No votes
More than Ten
No votes
More than Twenty
No votes
More than You Can Count
No votes

Total votes: 0
inyourhonor2010
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

How Many People Have Asked If It's An Ipad?

Post by inyourhonor2010 »

Well, how many?
Archos 101 8 GB
Motorola Droid One
Brownrat
Archos User
Archos User

Re: How Many People Have Asked If It's An Ipad?

Post by Brownrat »

I ve been asked about 5 times since dec 16th, I proudly tell them 'no, its an android tablet, It can do more than the iPad, and its £200 cheaper'
Archos 101 UrukDroid 0.7
Bobmcc81
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Bobmcc81 »

In just a short week I've been asked several times and I reply "No it's an Android Tablet" every time I haven't gotten the deer in the headlights look, one if commented back "So why didn't you get the real thing?"

It's obvious they wouldn't understand so I just shrug, ignore and go back to my Archos smiling.

How does Apple do it? This brainwashing Marketing is pretty impressive.

Bob
ashram
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by ashram »

only once i was asked if it was an ipad...
i have been asked if it's a :
nook
kindle
galaxy tab
ebook reader
ossasosa
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by ossasosa »

i have mine from 12 november and they asked me 20 times... everywhere i go and i pick him out of my bag people come and ask me is that the ipad?

lolll NO!:p
MarcusMarcus
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by MarcusMarcus »

I've been asked if it was an iPad only a couple times. I've been asked if it was a Kindle/Nook more, Probably because when I am public, I tend to be using my my nook app to read.
When asked if it was an iPad, I just "say no, it's an Archos", then I get the same look Bobmcc81 mentioned.
When asked if it is a Kindle/Nook, I say "Sometimes it is, not always though", then I get an even funnier look.
Archos 70S
Samsung GalaxyS WiFi 5.0
Niteowl
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Niteowl »

My A101 has only been seen at work and at family gatherings
At work I have not been asked if it is an iPad because I work at a tech company and everyone knows about iPads.
But they ask "what is that". And I tell them, it is a Android tablet. and the response is Oh. But they do get exited when I show off all the connectors & HDMI out. I even demo'd HDMI out in the conference room.

At family gatherings I have not been asked whether it is an iPAd because, well there are 3 or 4 iPads among us , but what impresses them is the size, weight and my older grand kids are impressed that is Android.

The only other comment/question is " is it 6 or 7 inches. I guess the 16:9 ratio and the weight throws them off.
Regards,
Niteowl
Pallstar
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Pallstar »

I have been asked more than I remember. I have had this for so short of a time and I am getting head turns.

I think I would estimate I have been asked already about 30 times. I show them the Archos label on the back and even though the majority did not know what I was showing them, there was about 10 of them that lit up and said "Oh! And Android tablet! How is it?" to which I started showing them how it worked. Only once did it really fail... but that was before the latest firmware. It froze.... I have not had any freezes since the update.

I did get one question if it was a Galaxy tab. I said "No, I got a higher quality device for less cost since I did not need it to be my super sized cell phone" (:P) I even shown him that I already have a cell phone and I use it as my tether for my tablet.

I use this thing all the time. At work, at home, out at the local cafe, even in school. I want people to know there is actually a device out there that is not made by the obiquitous bitten fruit. (not to mention, I do let them know that Archos has been making tablets far longer than Apple... oh and I don't consider the Newton since that was more of a crappy PDA)
- A101|16GB owner -
bladednuisance
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by bladednuisance »

poll not working for me...

more than I can count, literally everybody I know asks as soon as they see it... ive had mine for a couple of weeks now, my favorite one was being asked, & the whole room of like 8 other people all shut up & gave me their ears, hilarious!!
futahorse
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by futahorse »

A ton of times. Even with my Archos7 HT. My macophile biochem teacher called the 7 a baby Ipad wannabe.
Hajile_Ibushi
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Hajile_Ibushi »

I've been asked if it was an Apad. China tablets are pretty popular here, iPads are very rare. Even if you take out an iPad in a trainstation and wave it around, everyone there would call it an Apad.
Trebz
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Trebz »

I was kindly demonstrating the A101 to a colleague when another work mate waltzed up.

'Oh, is that one of them I-Pad rip off's' he stated, laughing.

This chap is clearly uneducated and his grasp of the english language leaves a lot to be desired.

I begun to explain that it was actually an Archos 101 and that it has many features over and above the I-Pad, the chap did not listen, my words fell on deaf ears.

He also stated: 'I wan an I-Pad, cos they'r ace'.

I asked why he would want an I-Pad over an Archos, having seen the features etc....

'I wan an I-Pad cos it's an I-Pad'.

As i explained to you all earlier in my reply, he is a poor uneducated fool.

The ignorance is hilarious.

I guess Apple's advertising campaign is working great with the chav generation hehe.

Signing off.

Trebz
bluebamf
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by bluebamf »

Less than 5 minutes out of the box my co-worker asked if it was an Ipad, so I educated him.
mjf1
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by mjf1 »

Showed mine to a lady in the office who was using her iPad. She knew right away that it wasn't an iPad (she's a techie). After playing with it for a while, she asked me for the website to purchase one.
baxjohnson
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by baxjohnson »

mjf1 wrote:Showed mine to a lady in the office who was using her iPad. She knew right away that it wasn't an iPad (she's a techie). After playing with it for a while, she asked me for the website to purchase one.

Win
A5A 160GB | 101 16gb
Organdave
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Organdave »

I have had at least 20 so far ask me that question. My most frequent answer is "no, it is an anti-ipad". Then I point out the nice features like the standard connections for everything instead of proprietary stuff and the microSD slot...and of course the very nice price 8)

If they are an apple person they usually just glaze over and ignore anything I say, immediately discounting it as gibberish. If they aren't then most have really take an interest.
graveghoul
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by graveghoul »

Judging by how ignorant and compulsive some folks are, of course if there isnt a celeb sporting an android tablet, the ones who just roll their eyes at how much more customizable and free an android tablet are...well thosere the people that are better left with the competitor anyway...spending too much money and having no liberties simply from excellent marketing fueled by the rest of the people thatre ALSO too lazy to do their homework. Android is a prize earned in the right hands.

Has anyone here in the u.s. seen the CES coverage on the Xoom?
dcrow
Archos User
Archos User

Post by dcrow »

More than 10, mostly at CES... =D>
eferr
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by eferr »

None. And rightly so because it is at least 5000 years away with regards to reliability and build quality, software support and mon Dieu the support staff make you fall in love with them... Archos are no good.
Ameriswede
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Ameriswede »

eferr wrote:None. And rightly so because it is at least 5000 years away with regards to reliability and build quality, software support and mon Dieu the support staff make you fall in love with them... Archos are no good.
Could not agree more.

One person asked me and I said:

"It is kind of like an Ipad with a MUCH worse build quality, MUCH worse screen, MUCH worse software stability, MUCH worse customer support.....But hey it has HDMI out and USB and MicroSD!"

My screen cover has come unglued, my screen cracked from what (for an Archos) was a six-inch hard landing. The type of force that I have applied on EVERY other device I have.

The 101 would have been a real Ipad Killer/competitor with a better screen and not this absolutely AWFUL build quality.

Things is I loved it until the build quality caught up with my day to day use. Which was roughly two months of loving care times the careless hands of a laborer in a Chinese factory = dissatisfaction.
ANDROIDTABFANS.COM!

Return to “Archos 101 Internet Tablet”