Video playback quality

10.1" capacitive, $269 for 8GB, $296 for 16GB, HDMI output, webcam...
mr-mac
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Video playback quality

Post by mr-mac »

Is big buck bunny supposed to be 720.

I have a 101 with 2.2 and gotta say the video looks fuzzy on archos and on hd tv it looks even more fuzzy. Looks nothing like 720 to me. Looks worse than dvd over scart :(

Anyone else notice the same? Are we meant to accept this low quality or is the vid to blame? Are there any settings that help improve quality?

Thanks

John
mr-mac
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Re: Video playback quality

Post by mr-mac »

Is everyone else happy with quality then? Are others seeing the fuzzyness?

Seems ropey for a device playing hd to me
Sylvenon
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Sylvenon »

It's the video in question.
Try watching some other videos from a quality source.
All the movies that I've ripped from DVD's looks great, whether streamed via WiFi from my PC, or played locally from the Archos itself.
I've not yet connected it to a television, so I cannot speak to the quality of its video via HDMI capabilities.
gottahavit
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gottahavit »

Have not used HDMI much, but the only problem with the display is the viewing angles. Lcds don't generally get "fuzzy"
mr-mac
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by mr-mac »

Checked an hd dvd trailer in 720 and it looked great

H264 4678kb/s with aac 48khz sound. (Thought aac didnt play without add on codec or was that just 5.1 aac)

Will check hdmi later.. colours of desktop look funny on tv the bar at right has shading like an older low bit depth display trying to make up for lack of colours...

Happy to say hd is great on lcd with good source. Cant see point in archos bundling such a low quality clip
675 Trip
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by 675 Trip »

Great viewing on device.

Very disappointed with hdmi quality. Very Poor. Limited to 720 and even then. My pos seagate theatre plus has far better quality. Control is nearly impossible with delay input on trackpad. Would be better to be graphic remote control.

Luckily, this is not one of the reasons I bought the unit.

If the unit crashes and reboots with cable attached it is upside down and thinks it is not attached.

Also SwiftKey doesn't work and can hang in search, etc,. No input or escape.
thewarbler
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by thewarbler »

I am new to the forum and have recently purchased the 5i tablet. This thread seems the most approprate. I am having trouble with poor quality video playback of recordings. I am recording from an operating microscope video camera via an s video connection to the DVR station. The confusing thing is that the picture on the archos is fine while actually recording...it is when I go to replay the recorded file that I notice a very pixelated picture. The sample videos that came on the device play fine. Can anyone help?
pollo
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by pollo »

Apparently,you are recording with very low bitrate and/or resolution.

In the first place,you are trying to record an analog signal (svideo is analog)into a digital recorder,which inherently will produce a digital file.
The idea for the digital file to be produced with high quality reside in the video resolution and bitrate,the higher both of them are,the better quality of the video.(given the original signal is of certain quality)

Now,would be great if you can post the recorded file properties by using a program like mediainfo.
You also check the DVR for recording quality settings.

Other question is how do you input the video into the archos (what are the DVR video outputs,guessing it could be the DVR has an usb video out,or you using some kind of usb capture card,but you tell us)
Isis63
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Isis63 »

I am having the hardest time converting dvds to be able to load to my archos 101. I purchased pavtube and it won't convert full lenght movies, only about 20 minutes worth. Anyone have any experience with this software? Or, can anyone recommend something better? Also, what file type is the best quality for the archos 101?
Thank you for any help or advice!
thewarbler
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by thewarbler »

Thak you Pollo for your reply. With respect to your question regarding the video input, this is via an s video cable straight into the DVR station. I am watching the playback on the Archos itself so am not using any video output from the DVR station.
I have found the tab to change the bit rate up to 2500 but this is not doing the trick. Can you please explain how to change the recording resolution?
I will try to post the file properties in a couple of days...I am away from work at the moment.
Thanks again for the help.
sweetypie
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sweetypie »

mr-mac wrote: Happy to say hd is great on lcd with good source. Cant see point in archos bundling such a low quality clip
Yes, they should have included a techy type HD test clip instead. What's the point of supplying an amiable, warm and fuzzy feelgood movie to customers?

They certainly are Idiots.

Return to “Archos 101 Internet Tablet”