Archos Really Failed With Tethering Ability IMO

10.1" capacitive, $269 for 8GB, $296 for 16GB, HDMI output, webcam...
JTC
Archos User
Archos User

Re: Archos Really Failed With Tethering Ability IMO

Post by JTC »

Over the Xmas period I have tethered it with 8 different phones via PAN, MiFi and even Bluetooth DUN and haven't had any issues and these include Toshiba TG01, HTC Desire, HD2 , iPhone 4, LG Viewty 2, Nokia N8, Nexus One and Samsung.
jasdjensen
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by jasdjensen »

Any luck with Blackberry? I fan tether my blackberry 8520 with my Windows 7 laptop easily, but the 101 doesnt work so far.
RemyL75
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by RemyL75 »

fray4djacent wrote:I think these posts are rather entertaining...

The OP doesn't seem to realize that tethering is not the same ball of wax for every phone out there, even phones using the same OS.

Archos would have to get their hands on EVERY phone out there to be able to be SURE tethering works 100% with EVERY phone out there. This is really an unreasonable expectation for Archos.

Give it time, the community will figure it out.
I agree. This isn't an Archos issue. If you just REALLY need to place blame, then go to Google, as it's their OS. You can't tether to an ad-hoc signal with ANY Android device (there is however a "fix" for this, but i do not know what it entails).

The simplest solution for you is to stop bucking the change and go with WinMo 6.5.
bradgog
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by bradgog »

I have had no issues tethering utilizing bluetooth tethering VIA wireless tether app in the android market. You do need to be on android and rooted to use this app, but if that is the case then you are all set. While using the app just make sure you select bluetooth instead of wifi ( I have the orginal Droid that does not support structured wifi) additionally if you want to use your laptop in your house if you do not have a wireless router that uses the correct bands for the Archos you can use connectify, which is great app the utilizes your wifi card in your computer as a structured hotspot. To get really complicated you could use your phone in ad hoc mode to your computer and then have that broadcast a structured connection. Not sure if Archos will ever be able to implement ad-hoc as the wireless card in the 101 may not support it.
RemyL75
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by RemyL75 »

bradgog wrote:I have had no issues tethering utilizing bluetooth tethering VIA wireless tether app in the android market. You do need to be on android and rooted to use this app, but if that is the case then you are all set. While using the app just make sure you select bluetooth instead of wifi ( I have the orginal Droid that does not support structured wifi) additionally if you want to use your laptop in your house if you do not have a wireless router that uses the correct bands for the Archos you can use connectify, which is great app the utilizes your wifi card in your computer as a structured hotspot. To get really complicated you could use your phone in ad hoc mode to your computer and then have that broadcast a structured connection. Not sure if Archos will ever be able to implement ad-hoc as the wireless card in the 101 may not support it.
You should clarify that, because people will see it (those that actually search the forums before posting) and think the app is for multiple platforms.

Also, it's not so much Archos that needs to implement ad-hoc, it's Google. Whether or not the wi-fi card will support it isn't an issue as-of yet. If/when Google fixes Android to accept ad-hoc signals, then we look at the wi-fi card. While there are companies that will use open-source software, very few will make any worthwhile changes to it.
Brett8187
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Brett8187 »

jasdjensen wrote:Any luck with Blackberry? I fan tether my blackberry 8520 with my Windows 7 laptop easily, but the 101 doesnt work so far.
Waiting on this as well. My BB Bold works great tethering to my Windows 7 via bluetooth and USB. I hope something can work out going from BB to android.

Anyone know of any good portable portable SIM hotspot adapters? I would like to just throw my BB's SIM in it and create a hotspot with it.
termn8er
Archos User
Archos User

Post by termn8er »

BB users looking to tether, we all need to contact each vendor and keep asking them for this functionality. I have written to tether tech support, PDANet, and Easy Tether, asking each to provide a product to the tablet world. There are many of us out there looking for this capability. So please let them hear from you so someone finally listens!!!!!
drivebynerf
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by drivebynerf »

i had my desire tethered to my archos, took like 2 mins, was suprised worked very first try....speed wasnt bad either over 3g
EvolvedFire
Archos User
Archos User

Post by EvolvedFire »

I tether to my orange Sanfran (ZTE racer), running custom rom that allows it to broadcast as a wifi hotspot, worked first time, no hassle or anything...
termn8er
Archos User
Archos User

Post by termn8er »

Rub it in guys :( !! I have a BB using Verizon, which is a bad combination. Waiting for 2011 to get a new phone. In the mean time I will keep pestering the Tethering software firms for a solution and use BB ---> PC ---> Archos Wifi for tethering if I need it. :cry: :cry: :cry:
sdho
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by sdho »

I have a rooted Samsung Moment (Eclair) and no luck with ad-hoc access point and bluetooth (both PAN and DUN)
jasdjensen
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by jasdjensen »

termn8er wrote:Rub it in guys :( !! I have a BB using Verizon, which is a bad combination. Waiting for 2011 to get a new phone. In the mean time I will keep pestering the Tethering software firms for a solution and use BB ---> PC ---> Archos Wifi for tethering if I need it. :cry: :cry: :cry:
How do you setup the above? Do you have to have a special application running on the laptop to share the internet thru the wireless?

I'd like to learn how to do this. It would be nice in a pinch

Return to “Archos 101 Internet Tablet”