Archos Really Failed With Tethering Ability IMO

10.1" capacitive, $269 for 8GB, $296 for 16GB, HDMI output, webcam...
supergman25
Archos User
Archos User

Archos Really Failed With Tethering Ability IMO

Post by supergman25 »

First Off. I have SUCCESSFULLY tethered my windows mobile..it took me over 5 hours of trying 3 different programs. I have also had to restart the tablet just to tether because sometimes would fail. The lack of Ad-Hoc Wifi and USB support for most phones is so poor and quite frustrating because when i connect via bluetooth...it seriously eats about 1% every minute/minute and a half. via usb(which ive done with my laptop..uses like 1% every 5-10 minutes, IF i have usb charging off). The first thing i think Archos should rectify is the tethering ability. whether it is Andoird OS that is the problem or not...The tablets are not cheap..but i understand its in its infancy. to me this is just an extremely large pain. itd be a serious pity if this type of thing isnt fixed.
JTC
Archos User
Archos User

Re: Archos Really Failed With Tethering Ability IMO

Post by JTC »

I'd disagree with you there. The tethering ability is one of the best things about it. It's utterly painless and easy to use and I am, like you, using Windows Mobile (6.5). It is power hungry, granted, but that's a small price to pay for not having to buy and use a separate sim card just for data.
supergman25
Archos User
Archos User

Post by supergman25 »

i seem to have spoken to soon..i just tried to tether again...paired..unpaired..repaired..nothing. restart the 101 4 times. reset my phone 4 times. no connection at all.

im using windows mobile 6.1. 6.5 has so many changes. 5.0 and 6.0 and 6.1 are more similar to each other. 6.5 made major changes. ive read that almost every 6.5 is easy to tether to the 101..the same can not be said for the < 6.1.

i also have seen many issues with blackberrys connecting. one of the major reasons i got this was my phone tethered super easily to my notebook and expected the same results. very disappointed.
JTC
Archos User
Archos User

Post by JTC »

supergman25 wrote:im using windows mobile 6.1. 6.5 has so many changes. 5.0 and 6.0 and 6.1 are more similar to each other. 6.5 made major changes. ive read that almost every 6.5 is easy to tether to the 101..the same can not be said for the < 6.1.

That explains it. Seems like an upgrade to 6.5 is probably the easiest solution.
gottahavit
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gottahavit »

more than likely it has more to do with your version of ICS. Find a link to WMWifiRouter .9x and you should find a link to ICS to go with it. I've used ICS with all versions of winmo since 5.0 and finding the right version is the trick. This is a Winmo/ICS issue NOT Archos. The lack of adhoc is an Android issue. All devices suffer from this. That said IF archos would let us root we could get around the adhoc issue.
supergman25
Archos User
Archos User

Post by supergman25 »

i have WMWifi router...newest...and a version of ICS. it tethers flawlessly with my notebook.
Servaas
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Servaas »

Ì hear a lot about tethering and to be honest I'm unsure how or why you are all doing it this way. My wildfire HTC has a custom rooted rom and the ability to broadcast wifi (Like a mobile hotspot) is in the normal preferences menu. Have you all not rooted or something?
neonflx
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by neonflx »

the tethering is not as easy as some people think, i have a rooted epic and cannot tether either via wifi or BT, the wifi because of ad-hoc and the BT because dun/pan , so no is not as easy as it seems, with a rooted archos with could overcome the ad-hoc issues but the way things are looking, we'll never see root on them
UniMatrix
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by UniMatrix »

I agree! Unless you have a phone that has built-in infrastructure wifi or a couple of Nokia phones with BT modem capability you're out of luck. I can't tether my Android 2.1 phone :(

None of the tethering apps in the market on my phone work with my tablet and USB / BT tethering.

A big disappointment.
mr-mac
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by mr-mac »

My Samsung omnia pro wm6.5 tethers fine using bt just open the ics software on phone qand it tethers no problem....

Hope you get it sorted.

John
Brett8187
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Brett8187 »

Anyone know if/how a blackberry would work for tethering? I'm looking to pick up the 101 but not unless I can tether it over BT. I've had some good luck easilly tethering my blackberry to windows 7 but thats totally different obviously.
termn8er
Archos User
Archos User

Post by termn8er »

I have a BB Tour and no luck. I have written to Tether.com tech support and explained what we want to do. They just say they do not support it at this time. I am also working with PDAnet who says it should work if they support DUN. Howerver, I can't get that to work ether as the Archos is looking for much more information from the phone. I have forwarded screen shots to PDAnet hoping they can solve this issue, but as of right now.... no luck with BB.

Sorry!
TechCrash
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by TechCrash »

Servaas wrote:Ì hear a lot about tethering and to be honest I'm unsure how or why you are all doing it this way. My wildfire HTC has a custom rooted rom and the ability to broadcast wifi (Like a mobile hotspot) is in the normal preferences menu. Have you all not rooted or something?
You are assuming we all use android phones. Sorry to disappoint you but that's not the case.
MinionOfEckerd
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by MinionOfEckerd »

Maybe it's with WinMo/BB where a lot of the problems exist? Haven't had any problems Droid-> A70 tethering.
A70IT
ashram
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by ashram »

zero issue ever tethering my winmo phones.... with the exception that the stock roms had it available or were hidden (at&t)

my 101 tethered with 0 issues at all.
Brett8187
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Brett8187 »

hurrpancakes
Archos User
Archos User

Post by hurrpancakes »

For tethering, I used my Samsung Vibrant and turned it into a wifi hotspot via MobileAP that I got from the xda forums, and my archos connected to it with no issues whatsoever. However, I couldn't get it to tether via bluetooth, and I haven't tried with a usb cable yet.
gottahavit
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gottahavit »

UniMatrix wrote:I agree! Unless you have a phone that has built-in infrastructure wifi or a couple of Nokia phones with BT modem capability you're out of luck. I can't tether my Android 2.1 phone :(

None of the tethering apps in the market on my phone work with my tablet and USB / BT tethering.

A big disappointment.
You are right about wifi and wrong about BT. You should be able to tether to any phone that can run ICS(windows mobile) or support BT PAN profile.
We need root to get adhoc wifi to work.
Brett8187
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Brett8187 »

Here is a PAN tool for blackberry if anyone has or wants to try it?
http://www.blackberrycool.com/2009/08/1 ... mac-users/
fray4djacent
Archos User
Archos User

Post by fray4djacent »

I think these posts are rather entertaining...

The OP doesn't seem to realize that tethering is not the same ball of wax for every phone out there, even phones using the same OS.

Archos would have to get their hands on EVERY phone out there to be able to be SURE tethering works 100% with EVERY phone out there. This is really an unreasonable expectation for Archos.

Give it time, the community will figure it out.

Return to “Archos 101 Internet Tablet”