Disappointing performance with 2.2

10.1" capacitive, $269 for 8GB, $296 for 16GB, HDMI output, webcam...
Hexidecimal
Archos User
Archos User

Re: Disappointing performance with 2.2

Post by Hexidecimal »

Does anyone have a link to the last 2.1 Firmware for the Archos 101? Half of the applications I use on a regular basis are force closing in 2.2. It's unusable like this. I'd like to revert back to the last firmware if anyone can link the AOS file please. Thanks!
weedahoe
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by weedahoe »

Oh my god. This is worse than 2.1

I did the update and did a complete fresh start and it is no better than 2.1

like everyone else, my quadrant scores are less and I can certainly notice the difference. It seems to take longer to boot also. I mean wow, I would much rather have Android than iOS but if this is how it is going to be then I might be better getting an iPad. I know that sounds harsh but it's the blunt truth.

I use ES Task Manager and have things streamlined and a lot set to auto kill. So that helps but what if I didn't have it or knew how to do it? What if I was an ordinary joe? How much more disappointed would I be?

I'm really disappointed
Hexidecimal
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Hexidecimal »

Found this in the forums in case anyone is looking. The last 2.1 firmware for the device 1.0.84

http://update.archos.com/8/gen8/gen8_1. ... d_gen8.aos

In case anyone else wants to go back to a decent build.
gottahavit
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gottahavit »

on the upside(at least for me) they fixed RTSP streaming. Still fails with the stock player but works perfectly with nswPLayer!!!!
Hexidecimal
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Hexidecimal »

Nevermind. Apparently you cannot flash old firmware once you've updated to 2.2.

I've tried every build from 30 - 84 and they all give me Error (221) when flashing which leads me to believe they specifically altered the recovery loader to prevent loading old firmware. I am now sorry I didn't opted for a Viewsonic G-Tab or an iPad. This is totally unacceptable that there isn't even an option to go backwards. If this isn't fixed by weeks end. I'm getting my money back from Archos and returning the device.
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

beniamin wrote:i dont have the device yet... but it sounds archos rushed (sounds ridiculous knowing how long the wait was) the update to 2.2 and released a buggy, useless version of the froyo that doesn't really do anyone any good?

does anyone get a "near galaxy" sort of experience with archos after the update or is everyone drastically disappointed? in terms of general performance and speed.
They code the Froyo not in terms of how easy it is to be updated to from Eclair firmwares, priority is to make a great Froyo that works great on new devices or on clean installs.

I don't think having to clean install is such a big issue. Maybe also there are easy to use app backup/restore apps that let you keep your 38 or whatever apps you installed in Eclair and keep most of them over when you upgrade.

And even hey, if you have to backup your multimedia files, and do a format, hey, I don't think that is such a big deal, especially if you have one of those 8GB devices and have most of your multimedia on the SD card.
gottahavit
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gottahavit »

one thing I noticed on both installs of 2.2 is the media updater runs far more often than on 2.1 and really lags performance. not to say this is all the performance issue, but something for people to watch for.

Is there any way to turn this off?
tabuser
Archos User
Archos User

Post by tabuser »

Has anyone else noticed that their battery performance has worsened since upgrading to Froyo?
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

tabuser wrote:Has anyone else noticed that their battery performance has worsened since upgrading to Froyo?
More likely the battery meter needs to be re-calibrated. That happens automatically after you cycle the battery a few times, meaning charge it to the max, then discharge it to the max and re-charge it to the max. Then it learns really how much capacity it really has.
tabuser
Archos User
Archos User

Post by tabuser »

Charbax: your previous postings suggest you have at least a few Archos 70's and 101's. What quadrant scores are you getting before and after the Nov. 30th O.T.A. Froyo upgrade. (Not the scores from your previous Froyo beta testing).

Please explain any differences in scoring. Thanks in advance.
rawthorm
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by rawthorm »

Well this is depressing. After doing a full format I've now dropped to 791 on Quadrant.

Quite shocking considering every other android based device in my office has got massive increases from 2.1 > 2.2 (and trust me, between me and my co-workers that alot of devices :p )
frank
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by frank »

tabuser wrote:Charbax: your previous postings suggest you have at least a few Archos 70's and 101's. What quadrant scores are you getting before and after the Nov. 30th O.T.A. Froyo upgrade. (Not the scores from your previous Froyo beta testing).

Please explain any differences in scoring. Thanks in advance.
Curious about this too. With a recovery format i'm still seeing quadrant barely touch 900 on 2.2.
A70 8gb Urukdroid 1.6
Nexus 7
jeroenvdg
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by jeroenvdg »

I heard people say the processor is locked at 800mhz max. Is that true? Isn't it supposed to be @ 1Ghz?
tomt92
Archos User
Archos User

Post by tomt92 »

Just posting for casual readers don't get freaked, but to be honest i have noticed a speed increase with 2.2.. I also had issues with 2.1 and it getting bogged down by background processes...

I will state that i have not ran any tests to get exact numbers.. I know its useful from a comparison standpoint but which is more important a number or how fast the device responds in day to day use.. The other thing i did notice was the constant media updates.. They mainly seem to happen when app are installed to the device, at least in my case..

Over all i'm happy with 2.2 even though i don't have a fully functional market, YET.. The speed increase, better process handling, and the exchange support are all big pluses.

Sorry just trying to look at the big picture..
TechCrash
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by TechCrash »

I have no issues here. I upgraded yesterday without a full reset and the performance was terrible. So i did a full reinstall to a clean froyo. I don't really notice any improvement over eclair but it isn't worse either. I use Apollo task killer though to keep my Archos 101 running clean and up to speed.

Now that we can have the market again I'm overall a happy camper again. 8)
weedahoe
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by weedahoe »

With a fresh format, update to 2.2, no apps installed, all tasks killed using ES Task Manager and all Services stopped using the built in System Monitor, running Quadrant got me 798. Second run got me 817
gottahavit
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gottahavit »

While I am baffled at the gap in the quadrant scores form the beta to the current release I think the biggest issue now is that they have it locked at 800mhz. What is with all these companies stating a cpu speed then limiting them thinking no one will notice!?
blazingwolf
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by blazingwolf »

gottahavit wrote:While I am baffled at the gap in the quadrant scores form the beta to the current release I think the biggest issue now is that they have it locked at 800mhz. What is with all these companies stating a cpu speed then limiting them thinking no one will notice!?
Hmm, maybe it was a mistake? Naw, all companies are out to get us. ;)
Follow me on mytabletlife.com.
675 Trip
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by 675 Trip »

Hexidecimal wrote:One question, how do you load the aos file once the device is formatted?

Edit:Figured it out, trying now.
Can you spell this out?

I want to start fresh as I was tinkering before the market apk came out for froyo and I have a limited market. I can side load just about everything, but I figure it's better to wipe sooner than later.

Does the aos file need to be in a certain location before format?

SD card in/out thumbdrive in/out?

Thanks..

I figure format, install froyo.aos, load thumbdrive, install gApps froyo, for freshest start.

Return to “Archos 101 Internet Tablet”