Accessories - Screen Protectors

10.1" capacitive, $269 for 8GB, $296 for 16GB, HDMI output, webcam...
pete917
Archos User
Archos User

Re: Accessories - Screen Protectors

Post by pete917 »

jasdjensen wrote:Yes i got the full coverage one for my archos 101 for 29.99, which isnt bad considering their warrantees.

Edit: I guess I should add that I haven't applied it yet. I'm waiting to hear back from my friend who has applied many zagg covers to his iPads, to see if they are difficult or if there are any tricks.
OK. Please let us know what it was like to apply and what it's like once applied. I'll hold a bit to get your feedback. Many thanks.
suzanne26
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by suzanne26 »

Is the Zagg one anti glare? I don't see anything that says it is. Does anyone have one?
I don't know which one to get, but I do want an anti glare one. Thanks!!

http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/arc ... hields.php
pete917
Archos User
Archos User

Post by pete917 »

suzanne26 wrote:Is the Zagg one anti glare? I don't see anything that says it is. Does anyone have one?
I don't know which one to get, but I do want an anti glare one. Thanks!!

http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/arc ... hields.php
ditto
jasdjensen
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by jasdjensen »

I have had issues with the Zagg kit that I bought. And it takes some explaining.

I bought the full coverage kit which is about 8 separate pieces. Installing zagg covers takes a bit (ok a LOT) of patience. You need to have your day cleared, or several of them.

The process to apply them is to wet your fingers with the solution they provide and then apply the covers one at a time keeping both sides wet so that you can position them and get the bubbles out.

I successfully (with a few tiny bubbles) got the first couple of smallest pieces installed. This really takes a lot of patience. If you spend more than an hour or two you're going to run out of fluid. They give you 2 small bottles which isn't enough unless you are GIFTED!

So after a couple of botched pieces which were likely because I was frazzled.... I quit.

I called their support line and explained my position.

They immediately offered to guarantee it and send me another kit, which is exceptional service. I had read that they could be applied professionally. I asked about that and they said that you can find retailers, such as Best Buy, who will install them.

Since I am in Utah, which is the HQ of Zagg, I can also go to their retail store (in their office) and have it installed by them.

I was quoted a fee of 10.00, which I feel is reasonable considering the difficulty I had.

So for the rest of you...

If you buy Zagg products, feel confident they are guaranteed. They'll print a new sheet of stickers and send them out every time you call. It's a great feature.

Take your time. If you have issues, or think you will, get advice from them. Buy some extra fluid or if you order over the phone ask if you can have a little extra.

Also the sheets tend to stretch if you put too much stress on them. They stick very firmly once dried. That's one of the reasons you need to keep them wet until you have them placed properly.

And the one bad thing. They are reflective. The screen cover isn't matte so it doesn't block reflections. I'd say it's only slightly better than the bare screen. Perhaps my free replacements will one day be matte style.

Hope this helps the rest of you decide if this is for you.
jasdjensen
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by jasdjensen »

These discount codes expire in 7 days or slightly less. For 25% off products at zagg.
First come first served.

zbssdz4w
z6ssdzap
jasdjensen
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by jasdjensen »

Okay. One more post.

Since I live in Utah, the Zagg HQ is relatively close and I went and had them install my Zagg cover again. I cannot tell you what a difference it makes to have it professionally done.

I paid 15.00 to have it done but am HIGHLY impressed. Doesn't hurt that I spent the 45 mins waiting in a nice powerful massage chair in their lounge.

I'm attaching some pictures.

My camera skills aren't but the point of the pictures is to show that it does give a certain shiny ripply texture, it is reflective, and the seams are nearly unnoticeable at a distance of 18 inches or so.

The great thing about Zagg is it protects against scratching (like even with a knife or blunt metal instrument like a screwdriver or screw.

Look carefully for the seams.... there's 8 pieces to this cover and it has all the screw holes and everything cut out. If you're trying to see the difference in shine there's a column about 1/4 inch on either side of the kickstand which is NOT covered. And you can also see the speakers are not covered (on the backside pic).

sdho
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by sdho »

sdho wrote:I just bought this on EBay : http://cgi.ebay.com/2x-Screen-Protector ... 264wt_1139

I'm going to try another screen protector after my skinomi fiasco.

Finally got the protector yesterday and i was impressed by the quality of it. Things I like about the protector:

- easy installation (similar to installing protector on my phone)
- reduce glare
- high quality micro-fiber cleaning cloth
- less noticeable on the fingerprints
- came with 2 protectors

FYI, It took about two weeks to deliver from Hong Kong to California.
pete917
Archos User
Archos User

Post by pete917 »

sdho wrote:
sdho wrote:I just bought this on EBay : http://cgi.ebay.com/2x-Screen-Protector ... 264wt_1139

Finally got the protector yesterday and i was impressed by the quality of it. Things I like about the protector:

- reduce glare
- came with 2 protectors

I ordered one of those about a week ago. Still waiting. Glad to know it was good.
sundaze
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by sundaze »

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post! Anyways I bought one of these a couple of weeks back. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWNX:IT

I have an archos 101 and find the glare to be really annoying.. the screen can be unviewable when there is light around. I might be a snob due to owning a Samsung Galaxy S :)

The screen protector really heaps and I have not had issues with its responsiveness. The antiglare materials isn't as good as my iPhone (finger doesn't slide as easily) buy it does the job and fits well.

hope this helps!!

Cheers,
sunny
singerdave2001
Archos User
Archos User

Post by singerdave2001 »

I ordered one from Javoedge and after installing it the only button that gave me a response on the screen was the home button but it caused the Search button to light up. This was after nearly 2 hours of trying to get the thing on straight. I emailed Javoedge and told them their product does not work on capacitive screens they responded with

"Thanks for your inquiry. We tested it with the Archos 101 and the touchscreen worked fine. Usually when the touchscreen does not work after the installation it is because the screen protector is slightly unaligned and the device picks up the corners as constantly being touched so no actual feedback can be received from touching the screen.

There are two ways of fixing this issue. One is to remove and reapply the screen protector making sure to pay careful attention to the edges, and the other is to recalibrate your screen."

The thing is I had it on straight and you cannot configure the screen if you cannot navigate to the configuration
frustrating.... very very frustrating
RichP
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by RichP »

Being the "frugal" person I am, I decided to try one of these:

http://www.frys.com/product/5860853

It works perfectly on the 101. It IS slightly larger than the screen so trimming is required, but the protector has a grid on it to make that process very simple.

It's not matte and it does require wiping the fingerprints off of it (cloth included with protector), but for the price I can't complain.
geosta
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by geosta »

sdho wrote:

- reduce glare
- came with 2 protectors

Thanks for the feedback, I think I'll order one myself :)
johnzo
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by johnzo »

hey guys i purchased an exim screen protector for my archos 101 on ebay and am very pleased with it!

i've done a quick review with some photos for those interested - http://hoacie.blogspot.com (in case you can't find it - search 'archos')
Last edited by johnzo on Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paradyne
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by paradyne »

I tried the Kai matte/anti-glare protector, it went on really well and certainly reduced the glare but after a while I didn't like the loss of clarity in images (they work by scattering the reflected light, and to some extent do the same to the screen image). So next I tried an unbranded clear one, it was really hard to get on nicely, in fact I had to throw away the first one in the pack. The second wasn't brilliant either, and they were too small, a couple of mm gap around the edge.

Lastly I bought a 2 pack of the Exim ones from HK, they're really good, they apply nicely just need to use a business card as you go and there are no bubbles. And they fit perfectly.

Luckily these things are cheap enough to experiment with, and the matte one could be re-used if I change my mind again.
mjf1
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by mjf1 »

Have used this one for several weeks now:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... K:MEWNX:IT

- can read tablet outside (not in direct sunlight)
- rarely have to clean for fingerprints
- desensitizes the touch screen slightly (this is a good thing on the Archos 101)
- most importantly, eliminates glare
- no dust or bubbles under the screen if you take the time to apply it properly

Very happy with the product.
chethammer
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by chethammer »

The Invisible shield takes about 20 minutes to do and get right. Granted, I've done so many of them that it's easy now. I have them on every piece of equipment I have. It's actually a very forgiving process and when it dries the air bubbles that are left are gone.

If you install a screen protector (I don't use the ones that come with IS) the best way to keep it dust dust and bubble free is to run you shower very hot and apply it in the nice steamy bathroom. The steam keeps the dust from settling on thye screen. Works every time.

I actually buy the cheap antiglare iPad protectors and cut them down to use on everything. Never worry about not having one. Had to order a separate bigger one for the archos 101 though.
martilyo
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by martilyo »

I bought my 101 off ebay and it came with a Skinomi. I used the wet application using their spray which went on pretty well. I did not wait and turned on the A101 and freaked out because it was not responding to my touches. I let it sit overnight and 95% of the bubbles went away. The instructions said in 2 days all the bubbles should be gone. This skinomi is NOT anti glare I can see myself staring at my A101 all the time. I'm ordering one of those Exim kits off ebay and try it along with the steam shower room idea.

For those with "possesed" Archos' after installing a screen protector, constantly wipe off excess liquids and give the Archos a good 6-8 hours to dry.
Here is a dead thread about the Skinomi : http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=45237
Larrie
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Larrie »

This is a general question. I received a refurbished Archos 101 back from Archos after they replaced it because the screen on my two-week old tablet died. In any case, there appear to be "bubbles" in the plastic overlay on the screen (very near the camera.) I have ordered a screen protector. My question is, does the plastic overlay on the screen comprise part of the actual screen, OR is it a screen protector which I can remove and replace with a new one. Unfortunately, I didn't pay enough attention to the new one I bought. I was having too much fun with it.

The plastic overlay appears to be minutely smaller all the way around the screen.

Help.

larrie
Rachelsmith
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Rachelsmith »

Is there any best shop where I can buy HTC EVO 4G shift skin cover at reasonable rates? How I can find it? Please provide me any online website where I can search my favorite colored skins.

HTC EVO 4G shift skin cover

Return to “Archos 101 Internet Tablet”