overclocking UrukDroid on Archos 70it

7" capacitive, $199 for 8GB, $249 for 250GB (with free shipping), HDMI output, webcam...
aaaaaaa
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

overclocking UrukDroid on Archos 70it

Post by aaaaaaa »

Could anyone run overclocking UrukDroid on Archos 70it?

I tried UrukDroid 1.6/1.5-Install.rar and 1.6B1-kernelSOCUV.tbz2 on this page:
http://sauron.pourix.com/UrukDroid/UrukDroid-1.6/

Nomal 1.6/1.5 works fine. But after replacing zImage and initramfs with the
overclocking version, boot sequence stops on the way leaving a message:
UrukdDroid 1.6/1.5 Rootfs: Init....

Thank you in advance.
Sauron
Archos User
Archos User

Re: overclocking UrukDroid on Archos 70it

Post by Sauron »

Guys - start reading, not posting only :/

http://code.google.com/p/urukdroid/wiki ... pugovernor
steveb625
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by steveb625 »

Yes, it is very easy followings Sauron's guide. You need a rooted file manager and a terminal app for pre testing. I found that using my Ubuntu box with a root file manager I could modify cpugovernor easier than on a half of a 7" screen. Besides, I could not save the modded file when working from the A70.
Currently running UDRC7, max_freq=1100000, max_vsel=68. Running well. I did test 1200000 at 68 but it locked up. It seems the best results are with 1100000.
SteveB
A9 Win7HP
A32 A70-8v6 UD1.6
aaaaaaa
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by aaaaaaa »

Thank you all.
I had thought the OC module is kind of "overclockable" module that users have to set the actual speed after boot via config file or applications such as setcpu.
But the fact is that the module is already overclocked so as to run at 1.1GHz by default.
And unfortunately my cpu can't afford to run at 1.1GHz, so it doesn't even boot up with OC module.
steveb625
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by steveb625 »

aaaaaaa wrote:Thank you all.
I had thought the OC module is kind of "overclockable" module that users have to set the actual speed after boot via config file or applications such as setcpu.
But the fact is that the module is already overclocked so as to run at 1.1GHz by default.
And unfortunately my cpu can't afford to run at 1.1GHz, so it doesn't even boot up with OC module.
This is not true.
First you need to access cpugovernor.config with a rooted file and text manager and change enable_overclock=0 to enable_overclock=1
Then you need a rooted terminal app to run the command "etc/uruk.d/cpugovernor stats". This will confirm that Overclock is Enabled.
Then you can use the same rooted terminal app to run the commands "echo 66 > /proc/overclock/max_vsel" and "echo 1100000 > /proc/overclock/max_rate" to temporarily set the cpu voltage and frequency. If you screw up a reboot will get you back to the default. I am currently running 68 and 1100000 which is stable for my A70.
Last! Once you settle on STABLE overclock settings you can use your rooted file and text manager and change cpugovernor.config file to uncomment the vsel and rate lines and put in your stable numbers. Now you will have overclock on reboot. Also now when you enter setcpu the max will be 1100000 (or what ever) and the 2 slower speeds will be displayed.
Of course you can read http://code.google.com/p/urukdroid/wiki ... pugovernor for this information. It was not easy for me at first to figure out but I did (and I'm a noobee).
Good luck.
SteveB
A9 Win7HP
A32 A70-8v6 UD1.6
arieid1
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by arieid1 »

Thanks for the detailed explanation.
It helped me to overclock.

However, after reboot the overclocking resets.

Perhaps I don't understand correctly the term "uncomment"?
frank
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by frank »

When you see a #, that means all following text in that line is a comment and not executed.
If you remove the #, the line now gets executed.
A70 8gb Urukdroid 1.6
Nexus 7
aaaaaaa
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by aaaaaaa »

Thank you for your detailed explanation, steveb625.
Sorry to be late to report.

I knew normal Urukdroid 1.6 is "overclockable" and disables overclocking by default.
I reinstalled normal 1.6, edited /system/etc/uruk.conf/cpugovernor, and tried some combinations of max_rate and max_vsel.
It turned out my cpu operates fine at (1100000 & 55) or (1000000 & 40 or lower), and it doesn't seem to reach the limit yet.

regards,

ps. I wonder why with OCUV-module (zImage, initramfs) the system hangs during boot though, I know now, it can operate at its default overcloking settings, (1100000 & 68).
arieid1
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by arieid1 »

Thanks frank,
as simple as that :)
It works now

Return to “Archos 70 Internet Tablet”