Firmware Update 2.3.20 Released Today!!!

7" capacitive, $199 for 8GB, $249 for 250GB (with free shipping), HDMI output, webcam...
knorris908
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Firmware Update 2.3.20 Released Today!!!

Post by knorris908 »

I awoke this morning to an Archos notification that there was a firmware update waiting to download, and I've been playing with it for a few hours without incident.

I like the idea of using my Archos 5 IT as a remote for my A70 while it is connected to my hotel room's HDTV via the HDMI cable!

Best of luck to all who choose to upgrade. I'm going strong so far, so I hope that this update addressed most of your concerns. (Besides not having Honeycomb, of course!)

Firmware Features

Version 2.3.20 - April 13th, 2011

Application: a new Archos remote service and universal Android application to control your Archos device remotely using Wi-Fi. It is intended to operate your Archos using any Android phone/device for instance when the Archos is connected to the TV. The "Archos Remote Control" application is available on Android Market and on Appslib
Application: a new Archos youtube application to easily view and play youtube videos
Network shares: samba network share transfer speed has been enhanced to support HD streaming
Network shares: password protected shares are now discoverable
Media library: improve indexing behavior and robustness
Media info scraper: more robust poster and information retrieval process for TV and movie shows
Media library cleaning: all multimedia information (movie/tv shows posters and indexation data) can be cleared through settings->repair/formatting/reset multimedia library entry
Contacts: fix importation and exportation of Vcards
Applications: fix sound muted when initiating a call with Fring
Screen snapshot: fix capture for all screens and TV
Camera: increase quality of 720P H264 recording (decrease blockiness effect)
Multimedia: improve UPNP stability preventing hangs when Wi-Fi connection stops
Multimedia: for shoutcast network streams display url, station, genre on MusicPlayer
Multimedia: fix next playing video being paused at start in folder play mode
Multimedia: MMS playback support has been fixed
Multimedia: MIDI playback support has been fixed
Multimedia: fix compatibility with Rhapsody player application
Audio: fixed alarm volume when headphone are plugged (was lowered)
Video: fix some MPEG2 files not playing correctly on A28
Video: fix seeking in AVI with layer2 VBR sound
MusicPlayer: display track number (like "3/10") for A43/A70/A101
Videoplayer: fix folder play mode with HD video
Subtitles: auto detect UTF8 codepage
Storage: remove disk damage notification happening sometimes even after a successful file system check
Peripherals: display a notification when plugging a USB device that requires more than 100mA current for A28/A32/A70 to provide feedback that it is not supported (e.g. some USB keys)
Battery: improve prediction of wake up time to shutdown the product when battery is low
Proxy: http proxy support has been fixed
Phone tethering: increase compatibility with Blackberry phones (introduction of a setting to enable TCP/IP header compression)
704,5,5A,7,&A70
drazenf
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: Firmware Update 2.3.20 Released Today!!!

Post by drazenf »

great but I am still waiting for automatic update, to lazy to do it manualy :)
AndyWolves
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by AndyWolves »

interesting to see how good this remote control app is like.
knorris908
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by knorris908 »

Okay...

So scratch the idea of sing my Archos 5 IT since the Archos Remote app requires a minimum of Android 2.2, and the A5 IT units are only Android 1.6 currently. (I am running Firmware 2.0.38 and the systems do not seem to be able to see each other.) Or at least I'm not smart enough to figure it out myself. Tried both WiFi and even Bluetooth, "just in case" to no avail.

Looks like I will have to wait to hear from one of you who have both an A70 and an A101, or with an Android smartphone. (I am stuck with a corporate-issued Blackberry, so I'm S.O.L. I'm afraid...)

I was really looking forward to that feature too!!!
704,5,5A,7,&A70
SWDT
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by SWDT »

I have the Nexus S and the feature seems to work well, very pleased with that.
smartlife
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by smartlife »

Hello,

I was update in my A70S but where i can check the new firmware was install, cause i just have notification my firmware was update without number 2.3.20
Archos 70IT+mini keyboard bluetooth
knorris908
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by knorris908 »

smartlife wrote:Hello,

I was update in my A70S but where i can check the new firmware was install, cause i just have notification my firmware was update without number 2.3.20

From the Home Screen select:

* SETUP Then scroll down to
*ABOUT DEVICE and select it.
*Scroll down to FIRMWARE VERSION

It should read something like "2.3.20 (Android 2.2.1)" if you updated successfully.
704,5,5A,7,&A70
knorris908
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by knorris908 »

SWDT wrote:I have the Nexus S and the feature seems to work well, very pleased with that.
DOH!!!!!

Now I'm considering picking-up an Archos 43 since it is spec'd to do 10hours of video which is even longer than the Archos 70 and 101 units... But my A70 would be one honkin' big remote for such a little player!

Maybe I'll just wait for the Gen 9s on second thought. I can wait to remote control the A70. I still have the DVR dock and my A5, A5IT, or A7 if I really want to use a remote control. But it was a nice fantasy to not have to pack the DVR in order to watch video on the hotel HDTVs... (Remote-controlled anyway.)

...Maybe some enterprising coder out there can make a remote version that the Android 1.6 devices can use?
*Hint - Hint* ;-)
I'd pay $2.99 or so for the ability. Heck of a lot cheaper than $99.00 USD for an Archos 28!
704,5,5A,7,&A70
davemonfl
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by davemonfl »

knorris908 wrote:I awoke this morning to an Archos notification that there was a firmware update waiting to download, and I've been playing with it for a few hours without incident.

I like the idea of using my Archos 5 IT as a remote for my A70 while it is connected to my hotel room's HDTV via the HDMI cable!....
I bought one of those little bluetooth keyboards that has a built in trackpad with clicker buttons. Works GREAT for controlling the A70 when it's hooked up to the TV's HDMI. I watch a lot of stuff on Stage Vu using this setup.
Archos70
Archos101
iPad 2
Acer A100
knorris908
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by knorris908 »

davemonfl wrote:
knorris908 wrote:I awoke this morning to an Archos notification that there was a firmware update waiting to download, and I've been playing with it for a few hours without incident.

I like the idea of using my Archos 5 IT as a remote for my A70 while it is connected to my hotel room's HDTV via the HDMI cable!....
I bought one of those little bluetooth keyboards that has a built in trackpad with clicker buttons. Works GREAT for controlling the A70 when it's hooked up to the TV's HDMI. I watch a lot of stuff on Stage Vu using this setup.
Thank you for the idea Dave!!!!

I guess my "gadget lust" was blinding me to the fact that I have a tiny little bluetooth DiNovo with a trackpad that is even smaller than the A70. (It's about the same size as the A5 IT.)

Ken N.
704,5,5A,7,&A70
rjsmith608
Archos User
Archos User

Post by rjsmith608 »

I am happy to see that Archos is paying attention to the 70 IT. I noticed that lot of my apps are still working after the last update. I need to do this current update and see how well this works. I'd would love to see a fix so Motorola Droid can connect with the 70.
sarad
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by sarad »

I just checked my tablet and it says no update is available. Is there a way to manually update the firmware? I am having a problem tethering with my blackberry bold. The firmware description you posted indicates that is one of the fixes.
my02vr6
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by my02vr6 »

Just go to the Archos website and on the top you will se a few tabs- hover your mouse on Support and click on downloads. Select your device and download the aos file. Then connect your archos to your computer(assuming you did this on a pc and not your archos) and transfer it to the root folder of your archos, not the sd card. As soon as you disconnect your archos from the computer, it will ask if you want to install, and give you directions.

Good luck. I just did this and it worked fine. Still have to test a few things out, but looks like it will work great.
A7-160gb/A7o-8gb
my02vr6
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by my02vr6 »

knorris908 wrote:...Maybe some enterprising coder out there can make a remote version that the Android 1.6 devices can use?
Umm, taken right from the Archos Remote Control page on Arc tablet.com:
ArcTablet.com wrote:Description:

Archos Remote Control allows you to control an Archos Internet Tablet (28it, 32it, 43it, 70it, 101it) from another Android device, through your Wi-Fi network.
It is compatible with all Android devices running Android 1.6 or later.
The Archos Internet Tablet you want to control must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network as the device running Archos Remote Control.
The Archos Internet Tablet must run firmware 2.3.20 or later.
http://www.arctablet.com/blog/android_a ... os-remote/
A7-160gb/A7o-8gb
robbyralarsen
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by robbyralarsen »

Still doesn't resolve issue with Rhapsody. I loaded from scratch, both the 2.3.20 firmware and the latest Rhapsody app form Android Market, and it still doesn't work in offline mode. I thought that was one of the major updates of this firmware update!
noob
Archos User
Archos User

Post by noob »

I don't see an official Flash yet? WOW!
knorris908
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by knorris908 »

my02vr6 wrote:
knorris908 wrote:...Maybe some enterprising coder out there can make a remote version that the Android 1.6 devices can use?
Umm, taken right from the Archos Remote Control page on Arc tablet.com:
ArcTablet.com wrote:Description:

Archos Remote Control allows you to control an Archos Internet Tablet (28it, 32it, 43it, 70it, 101it) from another Android device, through your Wi-Fi network.
It is compatible with all Android devices running Android 1.6 or later.
The Archos Internet Tablet you want to control must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network as the device running Archos Remote Control.
The Archos Internet Tablet must run firmware 2.3.20 or later.
http://www.arctablet.com/blog/android_a ... os-remote/
Fair enough. Then there must be another reason why the two don't see each other. Both are on the same wireless network...

I will try connecting both to my travel router and see if it makes a difference.
Last edited by knorris908 on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
704,5,5A,7,&A70
SerpensAlatus
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by SerpensAlatus »

Hi there,

i just got my 70IT today and wanted to install this update.

Everythings fine, but i cant copy the Firmwarefile to the root of the Pad.
I get the error "This drive is write protected". And i also cant create a Folder or another file on the system. It says "File system Error (65535)"

What do i do wrong? I have format the device already, did the disc Check...

Help please ^^

Regards
Volker
oic0
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by oic0 »

dont think it has to be on the root root, just anywhere on the device and run the actual aos file
blurpasta
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by blurpasta »

This firmware is causing alot of problems. firstly my videos start to hang now and then, which never happen in 2.0.18. Battery is at 80%, it can prompt me low battery and restart the whole tablet by itself. wifi also can't detect my hse router which was able to detect with the previous version. I hope they quickly resolve all these problems.

Return to “Archos 70 Internet Tablet”