Archos 70 8GB or Archos 70 250GB?

7" capacitive, $199 for 8GB, $249 for 250GB (with free shipping), HDMI output, webcam...
da1writer
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: Archos 70 8GB or Archos 70 250GB?

Post by da1writer »

gaz8203 wrote:I had the 250gb one for 2days and sent it back:/
I found that the battery life when watching a movie was literally about an hour and half!
You just about got away with it!

Also, when starting up Apps, it seemed to take longer for them to load as the HDD had to kick in!

I now have the 8gb one and its improved sooo much! Its way better!
plus, with these few tips its feels amazing now!
http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=45158
Dude, this is the reason why Im selling my 250gb model, the hard drive often stopped alot and kicked in slowly when it came to large apps and games - downright painful. It does work great with movies though when it came to my experience - lasted me 3+ hours often on a single charge.
DrTeeth
Archos User
Archos User

Post by DrTeeth »

Everything swapped back to system storage.

Thanks for the advice and further info. Can Android Marhet and the Archos Appslib co-exist?

DrT

PS Responding to the two negative posts above this one.My battery life (on second charge was > 4hrs video with wi-fi on with power to spare. No probs with any h/d lagging...Android seems better/more responsive than on my HTC Desire.
da1writer
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by da1writer »

DrTeeth wrote:Everything swapped back to system storage.

Thanks for the advice and further info. Can Android Marhet and the Archos Appslib co-exist?

DrT

PS Responding to the two negative posts above this one.My battery life (on second charge was > 4hrs video with wi-fi on with power to spare. No probs with any h/d lagging...Android seems better/more responsive than on my HTC Desire.
H/D Lag only happens with large game apps, emulators, and scummvm. Play scummvm, secret of monkey island (or any old point and click game like kings quest 6)... watch how every new scene or spoken dialogue has the game pause for a few seconds while the hard drive tries to put out the new info... its downright aweful. My psp doesn't even do this but of course my psp is using a flash memory stick. As stated before, this problem doesn't exists on video watching thus meaning the 250gb model was really meant for people who want large quantities of video on the go with them.
gte105u
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gte105u »

If you are into gaming, especially the more entailed ones the 8gb is certainly the way to go. The 250GB is for media, Internet, documents, etc. I havhave loaded a bunch of PDF blueprints for work without the worry of using valuable internal memory.
A70 250GB|Acer A500|HTC Thunderbolt
justincool10
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by justincool10 »

gte105u wrote:
DrTeeth wrote:
gte105u wrote:Its just not a good idea to move apps to the HD. Android is not designed to run apps off the HD. It slows it way down and shortens the battery life a lot. It will also make it more likely for the hard drive to fail. There is a reason that Archos gave the 250gb model 1.3GB of system storage unlike the other models. I would recommend using it... but that is up to you.
I noticed that system storage. But it is on the hard disk isn't it? For the price they could not have given it 1.3GB RAM could they? This could help me decide.

Many thanks for your comments.

DrT
No, it does not have 1.3GB RAM. It has 256MB RAM just like all the other models. It has 1.3GB of system storage. This is flash memory where the device uses to store apps and system information. This is completely separate from the RAM. The other models of the Archos have flash memory only. So when you move apps to the SD it is still stored on the in solid state. A moved app leaves a little info (my rough approximation was 10%) of info behind in system memory. By my calculation you could get slightly more apps onto the flash based models moving the apps to SD over the 250gb model leaving in the 1.3GB of system memory... but they were very close. The 250gb model is set up because you really don't want to move the apps over to the hard drive. You can it appears (I never tried), but it is opening up a potential can of worms and you would need a ton of apps to fill up 1.3GB.
Sucks that there out of stock in Canada was planing on buying one today :/
ibabovic
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by ibabovic »

For anyone interested, the 250Gb version has a 2.5" Seagate Momentus Thin SATA drive, with a regular SATA 2.5" connection. I am trying to test another hdd in it. If successful, it may be a a great solution to put an SSD drive instead - no moving parts, less heating, faster access.
The only special thing about this HDD is that it is 7mm thick, comparing to 9.5mm for regular hdds. There is a 2.5 mm (approx.) thick foam to separate the HDD from the screen, probably because of heat. However, if using an SSD with less heat, it could be just fine to have a thicker drive inside. The regular 9.5mm drives fit just fine inside.
Caution: when trying to pull the HDD from the cable, be sure to keep the cable as still as possible. There is a small connector that is soldered onto the cable that can get pulled easily. This happened to me yesterday, now I have to send my A70 250Gb to factory for repair. After I get it back, I will still try another drive and test my SSD drive theory, while being a bit more careful.
Will keep you posted.
butterflygirl
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by butterflygirl »

ibabovic wrote:For anyone interested, the 250Gb version has a 2.5" Seagate Momentus Thin SATA drive, with a regular SATA 2.5" connection. I am trying to test another hdd in it. If successful, it may be a a great solution to put an SSD drive instead - no moving parts, less heating, faster access.
The only special thing about this HDD is that it is 7mm thick, comparing to 9.5mm for regular hdds. There is a 2.5 mm (approx.) thick foam to separate the HDD from the screen, probably because of heat. However, if using an SSD with less heat, it could be just fine to have a thicker drive inside. The regular 9.5mm drives fit just fine inside.
Caution: when trying to pull the HDD from the cable, be sure to keep the cable as still as possible. There is a small connector that is soldered onto the cable that can get pulled easily. This happened to me yesterday, now I have to send my A70 250Gb to factory for repair. After I get it back, I will still try another drive and test my SSD drive theory, while being a bit more careful.
Will keep you posted.
In the past archos has tied the hdd to the serial number of the device, making just swapping out the hdd very difficult.
Bouldergeek
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Bouldergeek »

I can't get close to filling my 8GB + 4GB microSD.

I couldn't imagine the advantage of a 250GB model with spinny parts for what I use it for. Unless you needed an ASCII version of the Library of Congress. :lol:
ibabovic
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by ibabovic »

butterflygirl wrote:
ibabovic wrote:For anyone interested, the 250Gb version has a 2.5" Seagate Momentus Thin SATA drive, with a regular SATA 2.5" connection. I am trying to test another hdd in it. If successful, it may be a a great solution to put an SSD drive instead - no moving parts, less heating, faster access.
Will keep you posted.
In the past archos has tied the hdd to the serial number of the device, making just swapping out the hdd very difficult.
I have read about this, but still wanted to try it. I have imaged my current HDD and restored the image onto another drive. I am just waiting to get my SATA cable repaired (Archos will NOT repair anything that is not covered under warranty, as I have learned).
DrTeeth
Archos User
Archos User

Post by DrTeeth »

Bouldergeek wrote:I can't get close to filling my 8GB + 4GB microSD.

I couldn't imagine the advantage of a 250GB model with spinny parts for what I use it for. Unless you needed an ASCII version of the Library of Congress. :lol:
I watch my Archos in bed. I don't know what mood I will me in so I have a massive collection of films, cartoons and TV comedy series to cover all bases. I found a 250GB disk a bit cramped after my Archos 7's 320GB disk.

DrT
ibabovic
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by ibabovic »

@butterflygirl: In the past archos has tied the hdd to the serial number of the device, making just swapping out the hdd very difficult.
Please see my post in this thread: http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=46653
It was probably the case when the Archos device uses the Archos OS. In case of the A70, the OS is in the ROM and not tied to a serial number of any storage unit (I guess it's the same for the A70 with 8Gb, where you can plug in any MicroSD card and exchange it for another one).
In any case, I managed to clone the original 250 Gb drive even to a 256 Gb SSD drive and was able to read my files just fine.
blurpasta
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by blurpasta »

Get the 250gb only if you have alot of movies and music that you wish to store while on the move... i'm left with 70gb after putting in all my movies, pictures and music which is what i need compared to the 120gb i have with archos 5. Bought the archos 70 on my recent trip to Japan and Hong Kong. It serve me well where i have no issue watching shows during the flight journey and also surfing net while on-the-go. I also use the archos 70 to watch movies at home when i'm on the bed.... Overall, very satisfied with the 250gb, it can last me a day or 2 while watching movies and a bit of surfing on my journey to and fro work....

Return to “Archos 70 Internet Tablet”