Archos 70 8GB or Archos 70 250GB?

7" capacitive, $199 for 8GB, $249 for 250GB (with free shipping), HDMI output, webcam...
justincool10
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Archos 70 8GB or Archos 70 250GB?

Post by justincool10 »

I have heard there is alot of problems with the Archos 250GB?
So I was wondering which one is best?

gte105u
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: Archos 70 8GB or Archos 70 250GB?

Post by gte105u »

So far (knock on wood) I have not had any issues with my 250gb yet. I cannot say what the percentage of the 250gb models have problems, and how that compares to the 8gb model... As for what is best, well that depends on what you are looking for.

Pros- 8gb model
-Thinner
-Lighter
-Silent
-Longer Battery
-Micro SD slot
-Less moving parts
-Less concern over jostling (may be of concern if you are a gamer for instance)
-Ability to move apps to SD

Pros- 250 gb model
-250 gb hard drive
-Larger storage area for apps (unable to move apps to SB, but means does not need to)
-Once the media scanner is done with all the files, it only has to scan new ones. I don't think this works quite as well on the 8gb.

I am sure there are others, but that is what I got off the top of my head. Its up to you.
A70 250GB|Acer A500|HTC Thunderbolt
kinged
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by kinged »

Initially I have regrets about my 250 GB, but I love it and have no regret of getting it. It is really up to you to decide which one will fit your needs.

I love to carry lots of home video, photos, music etc. I only had it for 10 days, and I am down to 150 GB left.

If you don't need much of the above, I would suggest getting 8 GB which has SD expansion. your battery would run much longer.

Good luck
Thewapman
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Thewapman »

As the people before me have pointed out it depends on what you are looking for.. I was looking for a mediaplayer with hdmi and that also worked as e-reader, surf the web and so on. Therefor 250gb was perfect for me. If you dont't need the extra storage, go for the 8gb (cheaper, slimmer, better battery time, no HD (should be "safer" and last longer))
justincool10
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by justincool10 »

What do you mean by no Hd :O?
Thewapman
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Thewapman »

I meen HardDrive.. Not HighDefenition video. I can see where it could be misunderstanding, sorry for this.
gte105u
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gte105u »

justincool10 wrote:What do you mean by no Hd :O?
It doesn't have a true hard drive. It has 8 gb of internal flash (solid state) memory. The 250gb model has a traditional spinning platter hard drive. The moving parts adds potential problems and uses extra battery, but is really the only economical way to get that much storage on a device at this point.
nfordrchsfns
Archos User
Archos User

Post by nfordrchsfns »

gte105u wrote:
It doesn't have a true hard drive. It has 8 gb of internal flash (solid state) memory. The 250gb model has a traditional spinning platter hard drive. The moving parts adds potential problems and uses extra battery, but is really the only economical way to get that much storage on a device at this point.
I don't know that the hard disk drive ("HDD") uses extra battery power when compared to SD card use. My last media player was a little Sansa View. Playing music with no SD card inserted, you can get well over 20 hours, but just having the SD card in, even if not playing anything from it, the battery use drops to under 8 hours. Apparently the device keeps accessing the SD card for some reason, even when not using it.

Anyway, reports on here are that you get pretty good battery usage despite the HDD. I've wached 2+hour movies on it with no problem, and that should be the most power-hungry app.
justincool10
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by justincool10 »

Well what if you use a device similar to this device?
http://www.veho-uk.com/main/shop_detail ... rticle=124
Would this benefit the battery lose of the 250Gb model ?
gte105u
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gte105u »

nfordrchsfns wrote:
gte105u wrote:
I don't know that the hard disk drive ("HDD") uses extra battery power when compared to SD card use. My last media player was a little Sansa View. Playing music with no SD card inserted, you can get well over 20 hours, but just having the SD card in, even if not playing anything from it, the battery use drops to under 8 hours. Apparently the device keeps accessing the SD card for some reason, even when not using it.

Anyway, reports on here are that you get pretty good battery usage despite the HDD. I've wached 2+hour movies on it with no problem, and that should be the most power-hungry app.
Consensus is that you get a shorter battery life on the 250gb vs. 8gb models. This is only logical as it uses a moderate amount of power to spin up the hard drive. I typically get 5-6 hours between charges in mixed use of video, internet, and ereading. I turn off the wifi whenever I am not using it. Reports from people with the 8gb model I have seen show 8+ hours. Now mind you even 5-6 hours of video is stellar compared to many devices, it is not what you can get with the solid state memory. If battery is a bigger concern than storage (which is not uncommon) then the way to go is likely the 8gb model.
da1writer
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by da1writer »

As a 250gb owner of the A70, I don't think the 250gb is the most logical answer for everyone. I for one am not a huge movie buff ie I don't have a 100+ gigs of video files which the 250gb is geared to (mucie buffs). Its also geared towards people with tons of music, Im barely at 30gb and find my Cowon J3 to be the best sounding mp3 player - so I don't plan on using my 250gb A70 for that. So why did I get the 250gb version then? To use tons of large game apps and emus like ps1 which the 250gb was not friendly with. The hard drive was constantly trying to rev up, caused me to not enjoy my scummvm which paused a whole lot and other games/emus were just the same. Im selling mine to an online friend and plan on getting the 8gb model there after for other reasons besides mentioned above.
justincool10
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by justincool10 »

gte105u wrote:So far (knock on wood) I have not had any issues with my 250gb yet. I cannot say what the percentage of the 250gb models have problems, and how that compares to the 8gb model... As for what is best, well that depends on what you are looking for.

Pros- 8gb model
-Thinner
-Lighter
-Silent
-Longer Battery
-Micro SD slot
-Less moving parts
-Ability to move apps to SD

Pros- 250 gb model
-250 gb hard drive
-Larger storage area for apps (unable to move apps to SB, but means does not need to)
-Once the media scanner is done with all the files, it only has to scan new ones. I don't think this works quite as well on the 8gb.

I am sure there are others, but that is what I got off the top of my head. Its up to you.
So wait when you say
For the 8Gb Model.
Is that a bad or a good thing?
Like you put in brackets (may be of concern if you are a gamer for instance)
Because im a gamer and this worries me so im asking if its bad or a good thing :S

gte105u
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gte105u »

You want to avoid significant jostling with a spinning hard drive. If you play games that will require a lot of rapid movements of the device, that could potentially put wear and damage on the drive. If you want ti store media without worrying over having enough space then the 250GB is for you. Otherwise the 8gb is probably a better idea.
gaz8203
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by gaz8203 »

I had the 250gb one for 2days and sent it back:/
I found that the battery life when watching a movie was literally about an hour and half!
You just about got away with it!

Also, when starting up Apps, it seemed to take longer for them to load as the HDD had to kick in!

I now have the 8gb one and its improved sooo much! Its way better!
plus, with these few tips its feels amazing now!
http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=45158
together we're invincible
DrTeeth
Archos User
Archos User

Post by DrTeeth »

gte105u wrote: Pros- 250 gb model
-250 gb hard drive
I can move my apps to the H/D out of the system area in the same way an 8GB user can move them to flash card.

Just got my 250GB a couple of days ago and need the capacity. No problems at all. Only annoyance is that one has to manually start a wi-fi connection manually if an app needs it - it does not start automatically like it did with my Archos 7 320GB

DrT
DrT
gte105u
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gte105u »

Its just not a good idea to move apps to the HD. Android is not designed to run apps off the HD. It slows it way down and shortens the battery life a lot. It will also make it more likely for the hard drive to fail. There is a reason that Archos gave the 250gb model 1.3GB of system storage unlike the other models. I would recommend using it... but that is up to you.
jnmarshall
Archos User
Archos User

Post by jnmarshall »

A spinning hard drive in a portable device is a failure that has already occured. With that said. If you are going to sit the device on a table and watch movies get the 250gb. If you want portability as you walk around, sit on the bus, shoved in line at the local java dive, etc... solid state is the only way to go.
DrTeeth
Archos User
Archos User

Post by DrTeeth »

gte105u wrote:Its just not a good idea to move apps to the HD. Android is not designed to run apps off the HD. It slows it way down and shortens the battery life a lot. It will also make it more likely for the hard drive to fail. There is a reason that Archos gave the 250gb model 1.3GB of system storage unlike the other models. I would recommend using it... but that is up to you.
I noticed that system storage. But it is on the hard disk isn't it? For the price they could not have given it 1.3GB RAM could they? This could help me decide.

Many thanks for your comments.

DrT
buranyi
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by buranyi »

I have had the archos 250gb for 3 weeks.
Great screen and responsive. However it frequently hangs up and needs to be rebooted.
I will find out how the hard drive holds up as it will be in a backpack for two months of travel.
I plan to store pictures on it and have a bunch of books, music stored on it.
In retrospect I think the 8th would have served me better. I could have put slot of the books and music and photos in a Dropbox and accessed them when I needed to? The thinner and lighter 8th would be less of a worry.
gte105u
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gte105u »

DrTeeth wrote:
gte105u wrote:Its just not a good idea to move apps to the HD. Android is not designed to run apps off the HD. It slows it way down and shortens the battery life a lot. It will also make it more likely for the hard drive to fail. There is a reason that Archos gave the 250gb model 1.3GB of system storage unlike the other models. I would recommend using it... but that is up to you.
I noticed that system storage. But it is on the hard disk isn't it? For the price they could not have given it 1.3GB RAM could they? This could help me decide.

Many thanks for your comments.

DrT
No, it does not have 1.3GB RAM. It has 256MB RAM just like all the other models. It has 1.3GB of system storage. This is flash memory where the device uses to store apps and system information. This is completely separate from the RAM. The other models of the Archos have flash memory only. So when you move apps to the SD it is still stored on the in solid state. A moved app leaves a little info (my rough approximation was 10%) of info behind in system memory. By my calculation you could get slightly more apps onto the flash based models moving the apps to SD over the 250gb model leaving in the 1.3GB of system memory... but they were very close. The 250gb model is set up because you really don't want to move the apps over to the hard drive. You can it appears (I never tried), but it is opening up a potential can of worms and you would need a ton of apps to fill up 1.3GB.

Return to “Archos 70 Internet Tablet”