.nomedia file on 250gb

7" capacitive, $199 for 8GB, $249 for 250GB (with free shipping), HDMI output, webcam...
gte105u
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

.nomedia file on 250gb

Post by gte105u »

My 250gb comes in tomorrow. I want to start loading it up right away. I have read where you need to put .nomedia files on the SD card so the device does not delete. Is this needed for the 250gb? There is two situations where I think it could be needed

1) On the HD itself. Is this an issue?
2) On an SD card hooked up via USB card reader. Any fear it will delete from here?

Thanks guys.
A70 250GB|Acer A500|HTC Thunderbolt
eckostylez
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: .nomedia file on 250gb

Post by eckostylez »

.nomedia is not so your files don't get deleted. It's so that whatever multimedia files you have in the directory the .nomedia file is in won't be indexed.

I have not had any problem with the 250GB and files being deleted yet. I have about 40 to 50 albums on there, about 10 movies, and 3 seasons of Lost and How I Met Your Mother.
JunBringer
Archos User
Archos User

Post by JunBringer »

So if I don't want the Archos software to scan the media constantly (which takes forever) I need to put a nomedia file in that directory?
A70-250GB
A5-500GB
ElementalDragon
Archos User
Archos User

Post by ElementalDragon »

you are correct. as the file name suggests, creating a file called .nomedia inside of any folder basically tells the multimedia library scanner (or whatever you'd wanna call it) that there isn't any media in that specific folder. Keep in mind though that if you do this from the start, the only way to play any media you have on the device will be through the file browser and not the Music app... since the Music app won't know there's anything there. I'd suggest at least letting it scan through once before putting a .nomedia file into the folder(s), just so it has some sort of index for the Music app.
gte105u
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gte105u »

Does the .nomedia file effect other music apps like WinAmp? I don't want it constantly rescanning but it would be nice to be able to have it done occasionally. Could I remove the .nomedia file then reinstall it? I don't care about having pictures or movies scanned, but would like to organize music periodically.
ElementalDragon
Archos User
Archos User

Post by ElementalDragon »

I'm not sure about Winamp.... i get the feeling it might still use the Archos's media library scan, but seeing as i don't like Winamp on my PC, i don't use it on my Archos, so i'm not sure on that one. You can delete the .nomedia file when it's plugged into your computer and upon disconnect it will scan the multimedia library again. It will only skip the scan if there's actually a .nomedia file inside the folder.
nwbasson
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by nwbasson »

I'm pretty sure WinAmp uses the normal library scan, it picked up exactly what the Music app picked up.
JunBringer
Archos User
Archos User

Post by JunBringer »

So I need to do the scan to use Winamp?
A70-250GB
A5-500GB
gte105u
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gte105u »

Sounds to me like my best bet is to let my A70 do a scan up front after most my files have been added. Let the library know they are there, and "lock them down" so to speak. Then I add the .nomedia file to those folders so that it does not continue to scan them. That way those will be in the music library but not continuously rescanned. Unless someone says otherwise, I am going to give that a shot.
frank
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by frank »

gte: bingo

Also, look up studiokuma nomedia manager to help you out.
A70 8gb Urukdroid 1.6
Nexus 7
gte105u
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gte105u »

I have been playing with the A70, sycing with doubleTwist to make it the easiest way to keep up to date. It is working pretty easily. I will just let doubleTwist organize the music folder, and keep .nomedia at Music. Periodically when I update I will have to pull out the nomedia file and sit through the organization. Not the cleanest thing in the world, but not really hard either. I saw the studiokuma nomedia manager, but figure that is basically what I can do myself anyway.

Now I just need to figure out the best way to convert my iTunes smart playlists into m3u.
gte105u
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gte105u »

Found out something interesting just now. The file does not have to be a hidden one, just one that ends in the extensions ".nomedia". I downloaded a bunch of music to my device and let the media scanner go. When it complete, I put a file named "x.nomedia" in my download to store and move as I need it. I copied it into my music folder intending on renaming it. When I put it in the music folder in ES Fire Explorer, it started the media scanner automatically, but did not scan the music even before I renamed the file. Since it was not a hidden file (still named "x.nomedia") I could delete it right away. As soon as I deleted it the media scanner started again like normal. This means you can put a .nomedia file in folders without it being hidden and it still work.
eckostylez
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by eckostylez »

Any filename with a dot in front of it is considered a hidden file. This also goes for folders. It's how Linux/Android runs.
MarkhamSnappy
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: .nomedia file on 250gb - MEDIA SCANNER SUX, GOOGULL.

Post by MarkhamSnappy »

gte105u wrote:Found out something interesting just now. The file does not have to be a hidden one, just one that ends in the extensions ".nomedia". I downloaded a bunch of music to my device and let the media scanner go. When it complete, I put a file named "x.nomedia" in my download to store and move as I need it. I copied it into my music folder intending on renaming it. When I put it in the music folder in ES Fire Explorer, it started the media scanner automatically, but did not scan the music even before I renamed the file. Since it was not a hidden file (still named "x.nomedia") I could delete it right away. As soon as I deleted it the media scanner started again like normal. This means you can put a .nomedia file in folders without it being hidden and it still work.

Good info on the un-hidden .nomedia ( aka x.nomedia and x.noimage ) infos you've found out GTE105U.
Can't wait to try it...

[EDIT - changing the name from .nomedia and or .noimages to "x.nomedia" or "x.noimage" seemed to work for me GTE105U... 2.71 on my rig]
[EDIT - one directory was scanned that should not have shown up in Cooliris, but that's MediaScanner for you!]

Oh oh, gotta vent some of this anger... Here we go again... Someone help me with the buckles on this straightjacket, OK? :-&

Eff, I hate the MEDIA SCANNER code in Android, and $1000 says "honeycomb" has
a completely new and re-written codebase for this service. It should be easy to implement,
as the existing code is pretty simplistic and feature-poor, and reminds me of the technology
of the late 1980s and DOS. Yeah.

Have 10,000 ProN^h^h^h^h family pics on your Archos IT? Tough luck if it makes it through
a reboot!

ANDROID / GOOGLE / ARCHOS ... Media Scanner or MediaScanner DOES NOT WORK right for any large quantity/number of media files.
If you have 3 pictures on your device of your cat, or 2 videos of Grandma, then you are good to go.
Viewing or listening to JPG BMP TIFF WMV MPG AVI MOV or MP3 WAV OGG is next to impossible to accomplish
as in the process of loading these files into the device, it mindlessly scans and re-scans, fails and trys again,
over and over and over, never quite getting it right.

Fix the broken mediascanner service in Android for Christsake Google. :lol:

A28 A32 A43 A70 A101 Cupcake Donut Eclair Froyo Gingerbread Honeycomb Mediascanner Cooliris Pictures
blurpasta
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by blurpasta »

hi guys, just got the 250gb A70, i'm having a problem whereby the movies that i watched will not have the bookmark and resume function. Is it because of the .nomedia file that i have input in?

e first time i try copying all my movies in, it got deleted. so i followed e instructions here to put in the .nomedia file and my bookmarks and resume function stopped working since then but the deletion of my movies is solved. Problems arise after another, it's getting irritating...

Return to “Archos 70 Internet Tablet”