Archos 70 WiFi Issues latest firmware 2.0.71 (froyo 2.2)

7" capacitive, $199 for 8GB, $249 for 250GB (with free shipping), HDMI output, webcam...
Blinky No9
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Archos 70 WiFi Issues latest firmware 2.0.71 (froyo 2.2)

Post by Blinky No9 »

Hi,

I have a question about the Wifi issues on the Archos 70? This is my first Archos device (a spur of the moment purchase), which over the last 3 days has been quite a lot of fun however the experience is starting to sour with the Wifi problems.

Over the last 48 hours the Wifi connection has been dropping and then coming back, first every couple of hours or so and then today it's dropping every 5 minutes.

Anyway I have messed about with things such as switching from WPA to WEP (this made it worse), from WPA to WPA2/PSK (this has made is slightly better. it also increased the connection from 1mbp to 54 on the archos) and finally WPA2/PSK with static IP.

Due to the vagaries of my router I cannot specify TKIP or AES so i'm not sure what it's setting it to? I cannot set this at the device level either? However I have noticed some oddities when creating the connections.

Router:
WPA2
Channel 11
802.11 b/g/n

Archos 70:
Wifi sleep policy to NEVER (pictured)
Wifi connection to disable powersave using the tick function
Screen sleep set to NEVER

When adding the connection however the powersave disabled option is set to NO???? (pictured)

Is there any way to override this? I wondering if this is potentially causing the issue? The device only seems to lose internet connectivity after a period of inactivity now (the constant dropping has calmed down), however this period can be as short as 5 minutes?

Anyone with any ideas? it's a shame as the tab is quite a lot of fun for the money.
deet
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: Archos 70 WiFi Issues latest firmware 2.0.71 (froyo 2.2)

Post by deet »

I think that the wifi stack is borked.

When I was using WPA2/AES my A70 froze quite often. I have since changed to WPA2/TKIP and have not had a single freeze since then.

Something fishy is going on.

It sure would be nice if someone from Archos said something (anything) about the problems we are encountering and reporting. They are wasting a tremendous testing resource by going half-duplex on us.
A80S-V5(T1) OMAP4460 ES.1.1
bmarkman
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by bmarkman »

deet wrote:I think that the wifi stack is borked.

When I was using WPA2/AES my A70 froze quite often. I have since changed to WPA2/TKIP and have not had a single freeze since then.

Something fishy is going on.

It sure would be nice if someone from Archos said something (anything) about the problems we are encountering and reporting. They are wasting a tremendous testing resource by going half-duplex on us.
are u still ok with WPA2/TKZIP ?

emailed archos yesterday about the intermittent wifi disconnect issues after receiving my unit on dec 28. Their suggestion was to disable powersave, but this has been mentioned before in this forum....the unit changes from yes to no after Ive made the change. Something needs to be addressed. I do like the unit very much, but...........
Nexus one, A70
jebinc
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by jebinc »

I had a similar problem and ultimately determined it was due to router incompatibility. I solved the problem permanently by replacing my dLink DIR 615 with a NetGear WNDR3700 (N600). Problem solved (at least for me).
bmarkman
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by bmarkman »

jebinc wrote:I had a similar problem and ultimately determined it was due to router incompatibility. I solved the problem permanently by replacing my dLink DIR 615 with a NetGear WNDR3700 (N600). Problem solved (at least for me).
curious....what is different about this router...how did you find out about this one...

how long has it been that the problem has been "solved" for you?

thx!
Nexus one, A70
Blinky No9
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Blinky No9 »

I'm not sure i buy the whole router incompatability thing, unless it's an N only router?

There is obviously a bug with the powersave option. I've been reading the term "rooting" regarding some android devices, is this the same as jailbreaking in iOS? If so does this give access to the OS?

Also by only allowing WPA2 seems to have fixed 90% of the issue.
smkyle
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by smkyle »

Blinky No9 wrote:I'm not sure i buy the whole router incompatability thing, unless it's an N only router?

There is obviously a bug with the powersave option. I've been reading the term "rooting" regarding some android devices, is this the same as jailbreaking in iOS? If so does this give access to the OS?

Also by only allowing WPA2 seems to have fixed 90% of the issue.

yes, rooting is similar to jailbreaking. There are many advantages to rooting, including the ability to install custom roms (basically alternate versions of the android operating system), uninstalling bloatware (for example SprintTV and other apps that come with the device that you can't otherwise delete), and storing apps on your sd card. I do not know any specifics on rooting the A70 and I have not tried it myself. I have heard that there is not yet a permaroot and you have to reroot every time you turn the phone off and on. Can anyone verify?
paulus3476
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by paulus3476 »

Temp root has been lost with the latest firmware
Blinky No9
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Blinky No9 »

Paulus, do any of you archos experts know how to sort the powersave issue?
bmarkman
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by bmarkman »

ok......Ive had 48 hours of wifi lags/intermittent connection issues...It was really making my archos 70
purchase begin to taste sour.....

I was toying with the idea of upgrading my router firmware....or possibly changing to a new router as was suggested
by another forum poster....

Well.....Ive just had 1 hour of continuous dolphin based web surfing with not a single problem...

This is from expert "Spawn" found in another forum:
Forum:
Bug/problem - "disable powersave" doesn't work

Heres a tip

After you have setup the connection and connected via wifi, then goto the wifi manager under settings, click and hold on the connected wifi entry, a menu will appear where you have an option to edit the entry, select to edit, you will find the disabled powersafe option are not checked, check it and save the wifi entry - it now saves the option and keep wifi alive also during screen off.

This has worked great forme so far for a couple of hours. Will let you know tomorrow if this issue is solved...
well...of course, this needs to be done manually each time you launch your a70
Archos needs to fix that disconnect powersave switch in the next version of the firmware...

Let me know if this helps....
Nexus one, A70
dervari
Archos User
Archos User

Post by dervari »

I've had no problems using the Cisco 1231 access points and LEAP authentication. I have three around our house.
-----
Richard
Sr Network Engineer
dana247
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by dana247 »

I have a DLink DIR-655 hardware Rev A2 and had very serious problems with my Archos 5 IT (same problems reported by many of the new Archos platforms). Before I was about to send it back, I took the Archos out to some public wifi places to verify that it worked at all (and found out that these little android tablets really rock!).
[side note... it didn't work at first at Panera, so I thought I would call the 800 number and see if the network guys could help me get it working there or determine it was a bum unit. I figured at least I might get some free hints to help me with my home network issues. Turns out that Panera sometimes has problems with iPhones and Android phones which require them to manually "push them" on to the network. They basically added my MAC address to the Panera firewall and the lights came on. So don't be discouraged if you go to a public wifi spot and have problems, seems like they are still wrestling with the nuances of these new devices, too. And once it got passed the obtaining an IP address, the Archos performed flawlessly on the Panera network. So I knew my Archos worked with some networks, which gave me the resolve to go make it work at home and not simply return it. That's good because I have been craving an Android device for about a year :) I was really glad I called the 800 support line while I finished my drink.].
So I went back home and played with all the settings suggested by posts here and other places to alter the Archos config so it might work, but without success. Played with the router config as well, no joy. Invested about six hours, with no results, so I guessed it was time to look into a new router.

I was searching online for a new router, but I wanted to make sure the chip set of my new router would be different from the DLink else I might have the same issues.

Then it occurred to me to check the firmware on the DLink router. Bingo! The Dlink firmware version was dated 2006, and there were numerous updates since then. Updating the firmware solved the problem for me. The wireless net hums, and the Archos tablet is sweet.

I suspect that regardless of brand, the people who solved the problem by buying a new router actually benefited more from having current firmware than from having new hardware (unless you bought a better class of router altogether then you got unrelated benefits). My guess is several manufacturers all wrestled with the new "N" standard as well as some of these new operating systems platforms (such as iOS and Android). By buying a new router the biggest bang you get is having the latest firmware which has all the bug fixes in it.

If you are having wifi issues, before you go buy a new router, check for a firmware upgrade. It's free and painless, and may save you some money. In fact, I would even suggest doing this at the first sign of trouble, right after you upgrade the Archos firmware but before you go jump through all the other hoops people have identified to reconfigure your Archos or router. Most of those are really just working around little bugs in the firmware anyways. So why not start with the best, most current version of the firmware and maybe you won't have to do weird stuff to work around bugs that were already fixed by the manufacturer. It could save you hours of tinkering in vain.

Now if you do check into upgrading the firmware, here are a few important tips that might save you time and trouble:
  • 1. when you go to look for firmware downloads, make sure you know the hardware revision of your router, as different hardware revs may require different firmware. It will be on the product label near the model and serial number. If there is no hardware rev listed, then just note that. When you hit the support web site you might find there were some newer hardware revs and you will know which firmware goes with your hardware. You will want to look for the newest version of the firmware that matches your specific hardware.

There also might be a 'look for new firmware updates' function in your router admin user interface. If so, then it will probably take you directly to the web site page with the compatible firmware for your product and hardware rev.

In my case it was firmware rev 1.35NA, dated 2010/11/12 for the DLink DIR-655 original hardware.

There was also separate firmware for DIR-655 hardware Rev B, which would be incompatible with my router. It's not difficult, but it is important.

What you will typically do is download the firmware to your computer. Then use a router admin function to upgrade the firmware using the file you downloaded. Unlike a lot of software programs, you router will not likely be able to automatically upgrade itself over the internet. You will have to download the firmware and manually upgrade it using the router sysadmin functions.

2. Before you install the new firmware, make sure you use the router admin function to save your settings. Do this before you upgrade the firmware. And before you upgrade the firmware, make sure you save your router configuration settings. The reason you want to do this before you upgrade is because the firmware upgrade will likely wipe out your settings (mine did).

Settings include the login info for your primary internet access device (DSL modem, cable modem, or whatever) plus any other setup info you have configured for your wireless network and built in firewall if it has one. If you ever had to mess with the router to get something to work, you will want to capture those settings so you don't have to do them all over again. If you are like me, you might not even remember everything you ever changed trying to get something to work. It will simply stop working when the new firmware that fixed your Archos comes online after wiping out the old settings.

It was one-click easy to bring my router back after the upgrade by restoring the saved settings from my PC. If I had not backed up the settings before the firmware upgrade, I would have been scrambling to find my old notes from way back when we installed the cable modem. By saving the settings before the firmware upgrade, it was about two minutes total downtime to get back on line with the new firmware.

I may have mentioned somewhere that it's really important to save the settings before you install the new firmware. After is too late if the settings are wiped out by the new firmware install and you have no way to get back online. Say it out loud, before the firmware upgrade: I will back up my settings. And then be sure to do it.

Hope my irritatingly excessive repetition got your attention enough that it sunk in :). One final pop quiz on this point... what are you going to do to secure your settings before you upgrade the firmware? That's right, back them up on your computer using the router sysadmin function to save the settings to your computer so you can restore them after the firmware upgrade.

3. this one may be obvious, but don't upload the firmware over a wireless connection, do it from a wired connection to the router.
hope this helps,

-- Dana
deet
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by deet »

bmarkman wrote:
deet wrote:are u still ok with WPA2/TKZIP ?
Yes, still OK.
A80S-V5(T1) OMAP4460 ES.1.1
ske00714
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by ske00714 »

dervari wrote:I've had no problems using the Cisco 1231 access points and LEAP authentication. I have three around our house.
Richard, you are using Cisco's LEAP? My employer uses LEAP and I have had some troubles. It started with my HTC Inc. phone. I found that the OS was capable, but there was no setup in the UI. Eventually, A dev wrote an app called LEAP configurator, which worked like a charm and I have used LEAP for a while. Like my phone, the Archos 70 has no option for LEAP that I have found. Today, I tried to use the configurator with no luck. I assume that the read only file system prevented the config from being written. How were you able to get LEAP to work?

Thanks,
Scott
dervari
Archos User
Archos User

Post by dervari »

WiFi Advanced Configuration Editor in the Marketplace. A++ :)
-----
Richard
Sr Network Engineer
ske00714
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by ske00714 »

dervari wrote:WiFi Advanced Configuration Editor in the Marketplace. A++ :)
Success! WiFi Advanced Configuration Editor in the Marketplace. A+++!!! :D

Thanks Richard!
dervari
Archos User
Archos User

Post by dervari »

ske00714 wrote: Success! WiFi Advanced Configuration Editor in the Marketplace. A+++!!! :D

Thanks Richard!
You're quite welcome. Where would we all be without Internet Forums there days? :)
-----
Richard
Sr Network Engineer
my02vr6
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by my02vr6 »

I had this problem on my A70 and my g/f A101. I just "forgot" the network and re-logged in; problem solved! Typing this on SFO free wifi now, and no issues either, A70.
A7-160gb/A7o-8gb
shiping
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by shiping »

jebinc wrote:I had a similar problem and ultimately determined it was due to router incompatibility. I solved the problem permanently by replacing my dLink DIR 615 with a NetGear WNDR3700 (N600). Problem solved (at least for me).
When I am out using public wifi, I do not have choice. At least in my workspace, it drops connection very often. And sometimes stuck at "obtaining IP...", and could never connect to it.
boghog
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by boghog »

Hello,

I copied my post from another topic as I thought it was relevant.

I have been a bit bemused by the inconsistent Wifi connection and why it sometimes stays up for ages and then drops every few minutes at other times when signal strength appears excellent. Have tried solutions on many other threads and keep thinking that I have sussed it but tonight it was particularly bad.

Think I have just discovered a clue. I am currently using Wifi Buddy to monitor and control settings and returned the network back to obtaining the IP automatically from the fixed IP I had given it which was making no difference. I then noticed that I had set the Wifi to 'scan on application start'. Curious I thought, my Wifi frequently drops out when I am switching apps! So guess what, I disabled automatic scanning and my Wifi hasn't dropped out all evening (touch wood). I am now thinking that the scanning process may be the issue as when monitoring with Wifi Buddy I noticed that many of the disconnections seemed to occur when other Wifi networks in the local neighbourhood appeared on the network list.

I just do the scan manually now when I start the Archos up, connect it to my network and that is it. Sit back and enjoy. If it isn't looking for anything else it seems to be happy.

My router uses WPA/WPA2/PSK before anyone asks.

Return to “Archos 70 Internet Tablet”