$3.50 Archos 70 case

7" capacitive, $199 for 8GB, $249 for 250GB (with free shipping), HDMI output, webcam...
Toonces
Archos User
Archos User

Re: $3.50 Archos 70 case

Post by Toonces »

nfordrchsfns wrote:
Toonces wrote:...If it were me, I'd file an A-Z claim. I am pretty sure they'd just refund your purchase. Either they would or Amazon would do it for them. There's simply no excuse for service that bad. It may not be their norm but they should also recognize and do the right thing when they do run into their own mistakes.
That "A-Z guarantee" is worth squat. I ordered the 6th edition of a technical book from a 3rd party through Amazon. Because their price was so low, I immediately emailed them to say to cancel the order if they were not selling the current edition. They acknowledged my email, but shipped the 2nd edition anyway. That right there should be grounds for a refund, but after getting no fair treatment from the vendor, I filed an A-Z claim and Amazon's response was as follows:
"our policy covers... when the item was materially different than as depicted in the seller's description.
In this case we have determined that you are not eligible for an A-to-z Guarantee claim as you did receive the item you ordered."

So Amazon claims that the 2nd edition of a technical book is not "materially different" than the 6th edition?!!?
Yeah, right.
the ISBN's would be different between editions. If the catalog page you ordered from was the page for the 2nd edition then you got what you ordered. Book sellers on Amazon use the unique ISBN to list books. If you ordered from the 2nd edition page but sent the seller a note telling them to ship the latest version they really can't as Amazon requires that they ship the book that is listed on the catalog page. Sure the seller should have seen your message and should have done a check for you and replied to your email as part of providing good customer service but you can't say you didn't get what you ordered if the catalog page you ordered from was for the 2nd edition.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1598633600/

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1435457420/

same title book, 2 editions, 2 different ISBNs. The reason the price was probably so low from the 3rd party seller was because they were selling the 2nd edition that had been superseded by newer editions and you bought it from the 2nd edition catalog page then asked the seller for the 6th edition which would be a different book than what you purchased. If you're looking for a specific book, especially one with multiple editions, it's always best to find out the ISBN for the edition you want and search for it specifically. That way you know exactly what you're supposed to get. When you filed your claim Amazon should look at the ISBN of the catalog page and the ISBN of what the seller shipped. If they're the same then it's not materially different from what you ordered. If you make an A-Z claim and choose materially different item, your intent doesn't really come into play. It's down to what did you order (regardless of what you actually wanted) vs. what the seller shipped. If it's accurate to the product you ordered according to the product's ISBN (in the case of books) or UPC/EAN (other products) or even catalog page description (products without a UPC/EAN in certain categories) then the seller shipped what you ordered whether or not it's what you wanted. Condition is the only other thing that would come into play and if you didn't say it was in a different condition than what the seller said it would be (i.e. seller said new, book was used and dog eared) then they wouldn't have found in your favor on those grounds either.

A-Z works more often in the buyer's case than in the seller's. Amazon almost always sides with the buyer. If they didn't, buyer's wouldn't come back. That's not to say they always side against a seller or for a buyer. I've seen them refund a buyer's $1400 purchase and not hold me responsible for it as I had provided signature proof of delivery on an item that was supposedly not received (I guess it was fraud? I don't know other than the claim was granted and I wasn't responsible for it's payment).

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get what you wanted and had a bad experience with A-Z but from your description of the transaction it sounds like you may have gotten the book you ordered rather than the book you wanted (of course I could be wrong, it's not inconceivable that Amazon screwed up in your case). A good seller wouldn't have required you to file an A-Z claim in the first place though it really depends on how reasonable both parties are in the matter. Some sellers are completely unreasonable with their return policies and it usually ends up biting them in the behind (leave them appropriate feedback!). For my own items I don't charge restocking fees and I provide full refunds on returns. If the item is defective I end up eating the return shipping costs too. If someone decides they don't like it, all I ask is for them to return the item and I refund their purchase in full including the original shipping. I try to pretty much mirror Amazon's policy. It's what drew me to Amazon as a buyer so it stands to reason that people expect it when buying from anyone on Amazon.

EDIT: I forgot to add, the A-Z agents are people too and their word isn't necessarily final either. I have had final decisions reversed in my favor. The best way to dispute a materially different claim for a book is with straight up fact. Get the ISBN from the catalog page you ordered off of. Compare it to the ISBN of the book you received and reply with a straight forward fact. No edition numbers or other things that cloud up the case and require a judgement call from the rep. I.E. "I purchased book ISBN 0123456789 from Seller XYZ Books on 12/1/15. On 12/8/15 I received book ISBN 9876543210 from Seller XYZ Books. As shown by the different ISBN's, the book I received was not the book I ordered." you leave them no choice but to find in your favor.
Last edited by Toonces on Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Toonces
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Toonces »

sweetinabug wrote:I wanted to say that I'm in the same boat with Gimpdiggity with regards to getting my case. I ordered it on December 31st and got the email notice saying it had shipped on January 3rd, with the arrival estimated to be 6th - 11th. I'm still waiting on it to arrive. I contacted them and the tracking info states it didn't get to the UPS- MDI place till Jan 10th. They claimed they didn't know what caused the delay or how to solve it.
This really sucks. Perhaps they are being overwhelmed with all the archos business they got.
That's really a shame. My guess would be more along the lines of an out of stock situation and they waited to get more in. Why hold up a small, cheap item that gets thrown in a plastic bag and mailed if you've got them? The more people that express their dissatisfaction through Amazon, the louder you will be heard. Bummer too cause it's a pretty nice case for $3.96-$10.00 range. Certainly as good as any of the ones I've seen at twice the price. Really no reason as a seller not to mark it as OOS or that it would take an extra 3-4 days to process if that was the case.
Gimpdiggity
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Gimpdiggity »

I went to Best Buy today and ended up finding this:

http://www.medgestore.com/products/nook-trip.psp

It's quite a bit more pricey than the case I ordered off of Amazon, but I like it quite a bit. If the case from Crazy On Digital ever ends up getting here and actually seems nicer, then I can take this one back to Best Buy.

The A70 fits in it really well, and none of the buttons or ports are covered by anything, which from what I can tell is a problem with many of the case options out there.

Overall, I really like it.
Toonces
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Toonces »

Gimpdiggity wrote:I went to Best Buy today and ended up finding this:

http://www.medgestore.com/products/nook-trip.psp

It's quite a bit more pricey than the case I ordered off of Amazon, but I like it quite a bit. If the case from Crazy On Digital ever ends up getting here and actually seems nicer, then I can take this one back to Best Buy.

The A70 fits in it really well, and none of the buttons or ports are covered by anything, which from what I can tell is a problem with many of the case options out there.

Overall, I really like it.
That's one of the other cases that got a lot of mention on these forums (and a video review). I doubt the COD case is going to be better. It's a nice case and all but I don't think it really compares with the m-edge case. The COD case is just 1. cheap and 2. a basic faux leather case. Fit should be similar. If I was going to get a retail case, that one was high on my list. I like the Navy Blue canvas one. Very sharp!
Gimpdiggity
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Gimpdiggity »

Navy blue is exactly the color I got!! :D

But...it was also the color that they had... :lol:

With that said, from the pictures on the box navy would have been my first choice.

I am just glad to finally have a case. Now I feel a bit more comfortable taking this thing to work with me.
handymus
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: $3.50 Archos 70 case - just recieved mine

Post by handymus »

I just setup my 70 in this excellent case. It makes using the 70, that much easier.

There are a ton of cases out there for way, wayyyyyy more money than this one, but they don't give you the ultra cool wrist band baby!

I also tried the 3rd generation Kindle in this case, and it fits wonderfully.

Awesome buy! Flip open the cover and use it as a stand. The 70 is perfectly snug inside.

FYI - I ordered this on Jan. 6th and it arrived today, the 14th. I don't sweat arrival times, when you are getting free shipping.

handymus

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FO ... ss_product
Gimpdiggity
Archos User
Archos User

Re: $3.50 Archos 70 case - just recieved mine

Post by Gimpdiggity »

handymus wrote:FYI - I ordered this on Jan. 6th and it arrived today, the 14th. I don't sweat arrival times, when you are getting free shipping.

handymus

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FO ... ss_product

If that's the one you bought, you didn't get free shipping.

It was $2.97.
Gimpdiggity
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Gimpdiggity »

With that said...mine finally arrived today.

I am unhappy with the length of time it took to ship, but the product is actually really nice. I like it better than the M-Edge case that I bought at Best Buy, so that case will be going back to the store.

Even for $11 with the shipping, this case is pretty great. I don't have a problem at all with the volume rocker being covered by the leather, because it still works just fine by pressing on it.

One other thing about the shipping, just to finish off my disappointment in it. My case showed up today, and the tracking that I was issued by Crazy On Digital says that it's still in California. So yah...the shipping was an absolute disaster, but the product was worth the wait.
chunkzdamasta
Archos User
Archos User

Post by chunkzdamasta »

Gimp I'm glad you finally got your case, and I knew you'd love it XD
Ambrowill
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Ambrowill »

I got my case (original from Crazy) Friday Jan. 14th and it has made a great difference in carrying the a70 and especially in holding it both vertically and in landscape. Up until the arrival of the jacket I had been looking in local stores and even in thrift stores and settling on bad looks and crappy fits. This case is basic business in looks, very light, magnetic latch holds it closed securely, and now my a70 goes with me when I leave my apartment. :)
Gimpdiggity
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Gimpdiggity »

Looks like many of us that ordered these cases over the last two weeks or so all got them on the 14th.

That, to me, suggests that Toonces was right in the assumption that maybe they were out of stock on them and shipped them all out when they came back in stock.
chunkzdamasta
Archos User
Archos User

Post by chunkzdamasta »

I spread the word on these cases to fast XD
af2000
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by af2000 »

FWIW, a very similar (probably the same) case can be found on eBay. For those of us who can't or won't get it off Amazon.

I wouldn't have thought the case was such a great fit, so thanks to the OP!
chunkzdamasta
Archos User
Archos User

Post by chunkzdamasta »

np =D
happy4ya
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by happy4ya »

I bought this case from Amazon on 12/23 and it was delivered on 12/30. Paid $6.95 for it (no more free shipping). If you aren't looking for anything flashy it is a great case for the price. It is a plain basic black case and it does its job well. Although I prefer to hold the tablet without anything extra, it does add some meat to the tablet and makes it a bit easier to hold. The A70 fits nice and tight and if it bugs you that the bottom right strap goes over the volume rocker the fit is tight enough that you can just leave the one elastic strap off. Here are some pics:

chunkzdamasta
Archos User
Archos User

Post by chunkzdamasta »

you should try adwlauncher-ex for you archos =D
Gimpdiggity
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Gimpdiggity »

I honestly love the case.

It's a lot nicer than I thought it would be. In fact, it's so nice that I have actually decided that the shipping wait wasn't that bad. Sure, I would have liked it to come faster, but when it did show up it was nice enough to make up for it.

I actually have my A7o in it opposite of the way Happy does. That way the volume rocker is covered by one of the leather straps, but you can easily still use it by pushing on the volume rocker right through the strap. It works just fine that way.
nfordrchsfns
Archos User
Archos User

Post by nfordrchsfns »

I looked all over for a case to fit the A70-250G which I could put on my belt, but couldn't find one. I tried a number of things which didn't work well, but long-story-short: I noticed the owner's manual case in my Acura MDX (an SUV vehicle, for those not familiar). It had a flap over it which held additional papers inside the flap. That flap fit the A70 perfectly and it had some slits cut in it that I could run my belt through. (The picture shows the A70 sticking out, but it fits all the way in like it was made for it.)

If I had to plug in headphones, the A70 would not fit in the case, but I already had the Motorola S305 Bluetooth headphones, so no problem. When I'm taking walks and want to listen to music, I slip the A70 into the flap. The flap has a cloth lining, but no padding, so when I'm not walking, I keep it in a Griffin neoprene slip case (Walmart - $15).

So if you want a belt case and have a friend with an Acura, ask them if you can "borrow" their owner's manual case. (Actually, cutting off the flap left the rest of the case intact to hold the manuals, so no real harm done.)

chunkzdamasta
Archos User
Archos User

Post by chunkzdamasta »

lol that acura manual holder idea was genius XD
JimThs
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by JimThs »

Same here. Got the CrazyOnDigital case at least 2-3 days later than promised - and their tracking number turned out to be absolutely bogus. But the case is here.

Pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/JimT2008/Cr ... rArchos70#

Pros:

1) really really cheap
2) does its job
3) looks kinda nice (not superfancy but nice)
4) has enough open space to allow access to power button, mini-USB etc
5) it's really really cheap!

Cons:

1) sound level rocker is covered - not that I need it really...
2) you have to put A70 into the case exactly how I have shown on the pics - not the other way around, if you don't want the strap tugging on the sound rocker and if you want some relatively easy access to the charge inlet
3) case is a bit larger than A70 (it is Nook-oriented I think) but it still holds A70 pretty snugly. I have inserted two little narrow pieces of styrofoam in the sides to keep it there even better.
4) power button kinda sticks out a little bit but I guess that is unavoidable here...
5) have I mentioned it's really cheap? looks not as good as a $50 Tuff Luv case, that's for sure - also Tuff Luv case was created exactly for A70 so it has all the necessary openings where they should be

Return to “Archos 70 Internet Tablet”