Starting out with your Archos

7" capacitive, $199 for 8GB, $249 for 250GB (with free shipping), HDMI output, webcam...
jimtoukatly
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Starting out with your Archos

Post by jimtoukatly »

I wished that there was a simple set by step to getting the Archos up to speed. I've tried to write it. If there are errors please post the correction in the reply.

The Battery:
Charge it completely and use it until it gets down to 15% charge (a pop up message will tell you additionally you can see the percentage of charge remaining in the upper right-hand corner of the screen). Do it again. Some people have complained about short battery use ÔÇô but none of the complainers bothered to do a full charge and discharge, twice. I get about 8 hours of use out of one charge.
When you first turn on the machine: open the settings window.
The first item on the list is ÔÇ£Wireless & NetworksÔÇØ tap it. A new window appears.
The second item is ÔÇ£Wi-FiÔÇØ. Tap it. A green check mark should appear on the right hand side of the window next to ÔÇ£Wi-FiÔÇØ.
Tap ÔÇ£Wi-Fi settingsÔÇØ. A list will appear of available wi-fi networks. Tap to join. You may need to enter a code to get in. The machine will obtain a ID from the network once you have entered the code, or immediately if no code is required.
Tap the back key ÔÇô located at the bottom right hand side of the screen. You should now be back to the screen that has ÔÇ£Wireless & networksÔÇØ as the top item. Scroll to the middle of the list and tap on ÔÇ£Online registrationÔÇØ enter the SN for the unit. (ItÔÇÖs on the box).
Tap return to get back to the ÔÇ£Wireless & networksÔÇØ screen. Tap on the third from last item in the list: ÔÇ£Firmware updateÔÇØ. When this process is completed ÔÇô and it will take a five to ten minutes ÔÇô reboot the machine. Now you have the latest version of Android! ItÔÇÖs capable of running Flash.
About Flash:
Flash is a video format created by Adobe Corp. and is used on most web sites. So if you want to see video on the net you probably need flash. YouTube is an exception. It has the ability to display / convert video so that it can be viewed on almost any platform. Apple doesnÔÇÖt allow Flash. Adding Flash to your web browser slows it down and it takes some life out o your battery. I have added it and I find my machineÔÇÖs slowed down performance to be a good trade off.
Archos comes with its own Market Place which is the Android version of the Itunes store. However, the Archos store is not the entire Android Market Place. You will definitely want the entire Market Place.
Here is how to get it:
File needed to install Android Market Place:
gApps4Archos.apk You can download it for free at:
http://www.mediafire.com/?7xkrb2a4go7w9iv - there is more than one place to get it.
Download and click ÔÇ£RunÔÇØ. Reboot (turn the unit off and then back on) after install.
You now have access to the Google Market Place. However, this is only 90% of the Market Place. To get to the rest ÔÇô and best ÔÇô watch this youtube video with your Archos already on. Just follow along with the video ÔÇô itÔÇÖs easy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l-nySib ... re=recentf
Note that he is running a different, older version of Android on a different machine. However, it works on the Archos. IÔÇÖve done it.

I hope that this has helped.
Ambrowill
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: Starting out with your Archos

Post by Ambrowill »

Hi, I'm new and expect ar70-8 on Mon.

After reading hundreds of posts and watching dozens of youtube vids I think you have nailed it
for us noobs with no Android background (strictly windows for me).

Thanks so much
dlarkin_dc
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by dlarkin_dc »

Great post... "Sticky" worthy!
A70-IT 8Gb v6
viking

Post by viking »

I think the other xda google market install method is preferred because it is reversible, smaller, and has some broken app fixed. See the gen8 wiki or faqs. I don't think you need to navigate around settings after the wifi setup. An update app is always running and will prompt you very soon. And I question your registering the device to Archos so soon. I forget the exact scenario, but if you have to sell or exchange it and later someone wants to buy plugins... there can be problems not always transferable by archos.
a101g9 a70g8 an10g2 sg42 sg5 voy115
leathej
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by leathej »

My wife has bought me an A70 for Christmas. It is now wrapped up. It will have Android 2.1 firmware so I will need to update it on Christmas day. When I am going through the set up process, should I install the included Archos apps when prompted or not do this. I just want to make sure I set it up correctly to get the best performance.

Thanks for the guide
jimtoukatly
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by jimtoukatly »

You can install the apps that archos provides with the machine at any time. Just go to the settings - installing the provided apps is an option. Select the option and restart the machine. That's it.
leathej
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by leathej »

Sorry I did not make it clear what my question was. I am wondering if when I upgrade my A70 to the new firmware and add the full market should I also install the apps that Archos have on the tablet or or should I not bother with these at all. Do I need them for some functions or does installing them slow the thing down.

Many thanks
jimtoukatly
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by jimtoukatly »

I can't give a definitive reply to your question - only my thoughts. I love a couple of the apps that come from Archos. I would install them, try them out and delete the ones that you don't like.

As for the question of speed, I think that it is blown out of proportion. Prior to my purchase of my device, I read many comparisons of the Archos with others. In some cases, the Archos was demeaned for one fault or another. Well, now I own an Archos and I love it. The people who write about comparisons never mention that the differences are hardly recognizable to the average user. It's just more geek speak.

Return to “Archos 70 Internet Tablet”