Overclock 800MHz to 1Ghz

7" capacitive, $199 for 8GB, $249 for 250GB (with free shipping), HDMI output, webcam...
donnellb
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: Overclock 800MHz to 1Ghz

Post by donnellb »

I would love to have 1GHZ most of the time. The CPU should clock down when not in-use.
kchengva
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by kchengva »

I am wondering if we overclock at 1Ghz, would the battery life lasts the same at the lower speed? anyone knows this?
I bet Archos has a reason not setCPU at the max...

thanks.
davemonfl
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by davemonfl »

kchengva wrote:I am wondering if we overclock at 1Ghz, would the battery life lasts the same at the lower speed? anyone knows this?

thanks.
That is why Archos did this, but most of us prefer to have the extra speed vs. the 20 minutes or so of extra battery life....
Archos70
Archos101
iPad 2
Acer A100
oic0
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by oic0 »

kchengva wrote:I am wondering if we overclock at 1Ghz, would the battery life lasts the same at the lower speed? anyone knows this?

thanks.
ONLY if the core voltage is reduced at the same time. We don't really have any way of knowing if it is or not. For the sake of argument I am going to assume yes. If so it does reduce usage by a small amount. Remember it is also taking you longer to complete tasks so theoretically you are also running the backlight longer and keeping the system powered on for longer to accomplish the same things... unless you play the same amount of time as before in which case its causing you to get less entertainment and usage.
*Remember when doing tasks that don't fully exercise the CPU its getting clocked down regardless, so this only goes for all out tasks*
675 Trip
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by 675 Trip »

wheelerr wrote:@riki1kenobi

Done that about fifteen million times.

I have turned off USB debugging, restarted, turned then tried it. I have left it running unchecked checked it.

When I'm in z4root and hit back it just takes me to the home screen, if I reopen it it asks for usb debugging if I hold down home and select it asks for usb rebugging...hence my usb debugging loop
I think I tried it about as many times.

First time I rooted, it hung at some point and rebooted.

It never worked after that.

I turned on airplane mode. uninstalled some apps (weatherbug, talking tom and roby)

eventually superuser.apk showed up in the apps list.

I uninstalled it, killed z4 and setcpu

read a statement by z4 dev about being very accurate about detecting proper usb debugging mode, so I turned it to off. forced a bunch of apps closed, told it to reboot (in airplane mode, debug off). went to debug, turned it on, launched z4 and it worked right away.
therooster
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by therooster »

This works great for me. Every thing is nice and speedy!!
RiverCity.45
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by RiverCity.45 »

L0stS0ul wrote:step 1: download Z4Root from the android market
step 2: run Z4Root and select "temporary Root" and it will run it and install superuser.apk. Exit when finished
Curious. I can't find Z4Root in the android market. I didn't want to join the xda forum to get it...oh well.
slvrscoobie
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by slvrscoobie »

I keep running Z4 and it keeps rebooting my 101 - this has the newest update, maybe thats the issue?
tECHNGRO
Archos User
Archos User

Post by tECHNGRO »

tECHNGRO wrote:So, I followed the directions and was able to OC back to 1 GHz. My Quadrant score was 1010. I don't know whether that's good or not. It's in between the Galaxy S and Droid X.

I wonder what the Galaxy Tab scores.
Well it worked for me the first time, but I had to restart my A70. I tried z4root again and after a couple of tries it wokred, but now I can't get Setcpu to work. It keeps saying root access not detected and that it is operating in read only mode.

When I try to open Titanium Backup to check root acces, it says it can't gain root.

Maybe z4root isn't working anymore?
scottmcp432
Archos User
Archos User

Post by scottmcp432 »

Sick and tired of running z4 every time you power on your gen8?Instead of shutting down your gen8 simply put it into "deep sleep".Over the course of a 24 hour period you will only lose 8-10% battery and each time you wake your Archos you will stil be at 1 GHz.At least this has worked for me the last 4 days.What I would like to know is if this is in any way harmful to my 101. 8)
A101,A5IMT,MBP,iPhone4,AsusG53JW
hilerc
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by hilerc »

I just googled z4root and looked around for an apk. it's easy and it works
A5IT. A7HT. A101
droydPilot
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by droydPilot »

therooster wrote:This works great for me. Every thing is nice and speedy!!
+1 :D
tomt92
Archos User
Archos User

Post by tomt92 »

Mensaboy wrote:if developers KNOW that the device will be rooted at some very near point, why don't they simply make that ability available?
A few reasons..

Let say you have a device that can be rooted via a simple command... that means any application could run that command and gain root access..

Also rooting does open you device to potential attacks. remember the iPhone / iPad exploit going around because jail broken devices used the same username and password.. this allowed people with a SSH client to access and device on the network. Once you have root access you have access to all files on the device..

besides 90% of people don't know what root access is, what to do with it, or shouldn't use it..

the last issue i can think of is pirating.. If you have root access you also have access to all installed applications, which could be copied and redistributed..
Unsinkable II
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Unsinkable II »

POSSIBLE HELP TO ALL THOSE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH SETCPU SAYING THAT Z4ROOT HASN'T ROOTED THE DEVICE:

I had exactly the same issues. It worked fine for the first half-dozen or so reboots, and then "Aargh!". I tried reinstalling and uninstalling Z4root/Superuser/SetCPU several times. Nothing. It was driving me nuts. :evil:

Then I tried unchecking/checking "Unknown Sources" IN ADDITION TO "Development/USB Debugging". :roll:

Hey presto, it works fine. 8)

So, to recap (many thanks to L0stS0ul for the initial contribution, I am just trying to clarify further):

1) Download Superuser by ChainsDD in the market
2) Download latest SetCPU (not Free). Option: download OverclockWidget (Free) from the market (this seemed to work, but since I had already paid for SetCPU I deleted it).
3) As Z4root is no longer available in the market, download 1.3.0 Z4root from http://www.arctablet.com/blog/ (on the right hand side, under "Essential Tools").
4) Find Z4root in Files/Download and install it
5) Run Z4 root and press "temporary root"
6) Uncheck then Check "Unknown Sources"
7) Uncheck then Check "Development/USB Debugging"
8 ) Run Z4root again and press temporary root. Wait until it confirms that you have temporary root.
9) Run SetCPU - Give it Superuser permission when asked and select auto-detect speed (or use OverclockWidget)
10) Set to 300/1,000 or 600/1,000.
11) Optional. Install the SetCPU widget on the home screen to verify CPU settings at a glance.

Hope it works for you.

Thanks to L0stS0ul for the initial contribution, and to all others who have added to it. This speed bump should be mandatory for all 70/101 users. It really does transform the device from being "hmmm" to being "hey!"
Ominous
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Ominous »

there is no need for "hacking" just to get 1GHz, new firmware is out!
Board A70S-v7+8GB Class2 w~7mb/s
GTguy0901
Archos User
Archos User

Post by GTguy0901 »

yes, with the new firmware you can set it to overdrive mode which puts you back at 1ghz
viking

Post by viking »

1gz is no panecea - there is something wrong driving this thing to be a hot plate in a battery level death spiral.

80% is too far the other extreme - I bet this is a workaround for some design fault. I prefer a 90% option or a fix.
a101g9 a70g8 an10g2 sg42 sg5 voy115
Unsinkable II
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Unsinkable II »

Cool. About time!
ExploreMN
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by ExploreMN »

You guys are funny.

Okay, here is the deal on the 800Mhz issue after doing the 2.0.71 firmware update.

You need to set the power management settings. Go to Settings -> About Device -> Power Management

Powersaver and Optimal mode set the CPU to 800Mhz
and Overdrive sets it at 1.0Ghz

You will suffer less battery life the faster you set it though.
So, while rooting is awesome and I would love to have that running/stable, you don't need it to get your Archos 101 back to 1Ghz speed. :-)

To see your speed you can download a little app called Temp+CPU v2 which is free in the market and doesn't require root. Its a widget that shows your CPU speed and...well...temperature.

Anyway, hope this helps...but please don't stop working on rooting this thing! :p
ChumsGum
Archos User
Archos User

Post by ChumsGum »

1561 after setting to Overdrive, woohoo!!!

Return to “Archos 70 Internet Tablet”