Reliable offline navigation on the Archos

7" capacitive, $199 for 8GB, $249 for 250GB (with free shipping), HDMI output, webcam...
elmerohueso
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Reliable offline navigation on the Archos

Post by elmerohueso »

I got the BT A737 bluetooth GPS and have installed Bluetooth GPS Provider, Bluetooth GPS, and GPS Mouse Free (to test them all). Also enabled mock locations. I've paired my bluetooth GPS just fine and have been able to use it with Google Maps/Nav and CoPilot with all 3 bluetooth GPS tethering apps, but NDrive doesn't see the GPS from any of those apps.
I read posts from someone successfully using Bluetooth GPS Provider with NDrive on another device, so I don't know what would be different.

I want to use NDrive because CoPilot has audio issues (sometimes it says one or two words, but usually nothing) and NDrive's audio works fine and seems to be the best alternative. Has anyone gotten NDrive to work with bluetooth GPS? Or does anyone have an alternative good turn-by-turn with TTS?

Note: There's already another thread talking about the CoPilot audio issues and they posted a link to an old, working version, but that's the Europe version and I'm in the US.
Last edited by elmerohueso on Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
paulus3476
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: Using NDrive with bluetooth GPS

Post by paulus3476 »

sygic aura seems to be a good alternative - I've dumped copilot in favour of it
elmerohueso
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by elmerohueso »

paulus3476 wrote:sygic aura seems to be a good alternative - I've dumped copilot in favour of it
Their website http://aura.sygic.com/ is down and I can't find it in the Market. Does it cover the USA?
Also, does it do text to speech (out-loud directions)?
pcm2a
Archos User
Archos User

Post by pcm2a »

I'd be interested to know about the Sygic as well. I tested using an old AT&T GSat bluetooth device and Bluetooth GPS.

- Google Maps works but without data service in the care it's useless.
- CoPilot works but was extremely unstable, also changing orientation botches the entire app
elmerohueso
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by elmerohueso »

I found a beta of Aura and installed it, but it just goes back to the Home screen after showing the Sygic logo, so I still am looking for a stable version.
Brut Google Maps is a hacked version of Google Maps/Nav/Latitude etc that caches the map tiles to your device for offline use. Problem is every zoom level uses different tiles so the tiles take a lot of space and a very long time to download.
I'm starting to really dislike CoPilot, not only for the audio issue and because rotating the screen or minimizing and maximizing it will distort the whole screen, but they screwed up my licensing (I bought USA and they gave me Greece).

Bottom line, please point the way to a good, stable release of Aura.
elmerohueso
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by elmerohueso »

Just an update: Even with Froyo installed, NDrive doesn't see the external GPS. The Aura Beat still crashed immediately on Froyo. Aura's site finally came up and I found that it costs a lot more than CoPilot, so out of the 3 I'm stuck with CoPilot ($3 for USA license over Thanksgiving). They screwed up my licensing for CoPilot again (changed it from USA to Greece, then said they fixed it, but it's telling me it's a trial license), so I'm actually using an older version of CoPilot with the maps that I downloaded while my license was actually working. Happily, the text to voice in CoPilot is working now in Froyo.

Edit: I got NDrive to work. I just had to use the new Bluetooth GPS option that Archos built into the Froyo firmware instead of using a third-party bluetooth GPS app. It's really convenient because now I just have to enable bluetooth, and NDrive/CoPilot will automatically turn on the GPS, which makes the Archos pair automatically with my GPS receiver. Now I have both CoPilot and NDrive working!
elmerohueso
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by elmerohueso »

Another note: I finally found Aura in the Froyo Market. I installed it and played with it for a bit. I found that the A70's soft buttons cover up one of Aura's menus, and Aura also caused the entire tablet to freeze after a mile. Guess I'll be sticking with NDrive.
Now I just need to find a Car Dock/Home that will actually replace the built in Home button function while in use.
toniolol
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by toniolol »

NDrive works on froyo ! That's a good news.
Did you try Navigon ?
Archos 70 IT - iPhone 3GS
elmerohueso
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by elmerohueso »

toniolol wrote:Did you try Navigon ?
Not yet, because it's $60 US and I haven't found a trial for it. I'd like to see if it works too.
pic_micro23

Post by pic_micro23 »

Elmerohueso,
I'm following this thread to make a decision if I should use copilot or ndrive.

I have two A70's and I'm planning to use gps app and both are sync to the same gmail account.

Do you know if I have to pay the twice the app since both will be running under the same gmail account at the same time?

Do you still have audio issues with copilot?
elmerohueso
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by elmerohueso »

I only have 1 Android devices, so I don't know if you have to pay twice. I wouldn't think so though since the Market will show your product as Purchased already (but CoPilot does use online activation, so you may run into an issue there).
I'm actually using an older version of CoPilot that's cracked (with the maps I payed for) because CoPilot massively screwed up my license and it's past the 10-day refund window so I can't re-purchase it. It's 8.2.0.218 I think.
The audio seems to be working fine in it under Froyo, but it still has a big graphic issue that even the new version had. If you open CoPilot, then go back to the Home screen or any other program, then back to CoPilot, the screen will be completely garbled. Only work-around I know of is to use a task manager to kill CoPilot. That's the reason I also got NDrive.
tamatama
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by tamatama »

pic_micro23 wrote:Elmerohueso,
I'm following this thread to make a decision if I should use copilot or ndrive.

I have two A70's and I'm planning to use gps app and both are sync to the same gmail account.

Do you know if I have to pay the twice the app since both will be running under the same gmail account at the same time?

Do you still have audio issues with copilot?
You dont have to pay twice. I have the same account on my Nexus and the A70 and what ever i download on one when i purhcased i can re-download on the other. Its pretty neat!
elmerohueso
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by elmerohueso »

OK, I have no idea what happened but NDrive's speech no longer works, even after reinstalling a re-downloading the voice packs. It says the first few syllables then stops. That's really annoying! The speech in CoPilot is still working.
I now still have yet to find a 100% functional GPS program for the A70.
jeffmplsmn
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by jeffmplsmn »

elmerohueso wrote:ICoPilot does use online activation, so you may run into an issue there).
I purchased and installed CoPilot on the Archos 70 running Eclair. Speech never worked and the screen got scrambled if it switched from landscape to portrait and back, but it activated, found my bluetooth GPS, and ran. I deactivated my license like they said to do before an upgrade, then upgraded to Froyo and now activation always report as unsuccessful. CoPilot support replied "The issue is not with your Gmail account but likely with the Archos device itself. It seems our activation server is not able to properly get the Archos 70's Device ID. This could be due to the Android 2.2.1 ROM for the device." This might not be related but I noticed on my router that the Device IDs are blank for both the A70 and A101.

Anyone able to activate CoPilot on the new ROM? I now successfully activated my license on an HD2 running Android and it works completely even with TTS, but I really wanted this program on the Archos.
elmerohueso
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by elmerohueso »

jeffmplsmn wrote: I purchased and installed CoPilot on the Archos 70 running Eclair. Speech never worked and the screen got scrambled if it switched from landscape to portrait and back, but it activated, found my bluetooth GPS, and ran. I deactivated my license like they said to do before an upgrade, then upgraded to Froyo and now activation always report as unsuccessful. CoPilot support replied "The issue is not with your Gmail account but likely with the Archos device itself. It seems our activation server is not able to properly get the Archos 70's Device ID. This could be due to the Android 2.2.1 ROM for the device." This might not be related but I noticed on my router that the Device IDs are blank for both the A70 and A101.

Anyone able to activate CoPilot on the new ROM? I now successfully activated my license on an HD2 running Android and it works completely even with TTS, but I really wanted this program on the Archos.
XDA does have a few posts about CoPilot not activating on Froyo on some devices.
I had to install a cracked version of CoPilot with my maps that I was able to download on Eclair. CoPilot support said they don't have any way to test on Archos tablets, so who knows if the will in the future. They actually recommended I not purchase CoPilot in the future.
The garbled CoPilot screen error is still present on the Archos with Froyo when you rotate the screen or minimize then maximize. You need to change CoPilot settings to specify a screen orientation, then either just leave CoPilot open the whole time, or force kill it when you minimize it. If you kill CoPilot, it will resume navigation when opened again, but it won't resume if you actually quit CoPilot from its menu.
675 Trip
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by 675 Trip »

Just spoke with CoPilot support and they have concluded that no imei means no ability to license.

As the market for these devices grows, I am sure they will come up with an alternative license, but I am not holding my breath.
The Doge
Archos User
Archos User

Post by The Doge »

I have installed the demo of Aura on my 101 and it has worked great. I have performed the upgrade to 2.2 so don't know if that makes a difference. I also have the 70 but have not got around to configuring it yet. When I do I will load Aura on it as well and test.
675 Trip
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by 675 Trip »

675 Trip wrote:Just spoke with CoPilot support and they have concluded that no imei means no ability to license.

As the market for these devices grows, I am sure they will come up with an alternative license, but I am not holding my breath.

OK, so I should have just tried to do this more on my own.

I found a link on another forum to http://www.alk.eu.com/copilotlive/androidinstall/ for android users. it's .368 v. .218 so I thought that might help and couldn't hurt.

Went to install and instead of asking for google checkout, it asked for 25 digit key.

Luckily, I have that because I did an uninstall from my N1 and it gave it to me (also emailed to me)

used that and the same email address I had registered with previously and it authorized.

I downloaded a small local map and made the mistake of not choosing (use computer) When i went to download a larger map, it doesn't ask again. Clearing data made me re-enter license (I know there is a limit there) so I am downloading north america directly onto archos. it seems like copilot has to stay in the foreground. I haven't gone out driving, and the interface is very 90's but it seems to work.

Also, I locked orientation because of other comments. Also it didn't seem to trigger BT GPS, I had to open google maps (will download gpstest again shortly) to init BT GPS, but now it holds onto it.
jeffmplsmn
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by jeffmplsmn »

If no imei means no ability to license, why was I able to license under 2.1?

Anyway, great find on the .apk. I was able to activate CoPilot on my HD2 running an Android ROM from xda. I used that 25 digit license key. First it told me the product needed to be deactivated as it was in use. Perfect, as it was in use. I deactivated it on the HD2 and it actually activated on the Archos. I'm now downloading all of North America. It's downloading slowly, very slowly, but it's downloading.

In a limited test yesterday, the program worked great on the HD2. GPS location was accurate, re-routing worked pretty well, and TTS was perfect.

Thanks again for the great find.

I'll also mention that I tried Sygic Aura yesterday. The voice would never say the last word. It was say, in 300 feet turn....but then nothing. Even longer phrases, like follow the route for 3 miles, stay left, and then turn..... It would never say left, right, etc.
elmerohueso
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by elmerohueso »

jeffmplsmn wrote:It's downloading slowly, very slowly, but it's downloading.
For me, the NDrive and Aura downloads were way slower than CoPilot (even when I selected to download only 1 state). I think Aura was the slowest. It was incredibly inconsistent, jumping anywhere from 14Kbps to 370Kbps, but hovering around 80 most of the time.

I'm really surprised that your were able to use your key for North America with the APK for Europe (from their site). I originally thought that all the binaries were the same and maps were determined by the key. As I was experiencing the TTS issues on the copy of CoPilot USA I got off the Market (in Eclair), I downloaded the APK from their EU site thinking that it would resolve the issue. When I installed the APK and entered my key, CoPilot told me I was licensed for the European version and could only download the map of Greece. Their support rep took 3 days to set it back to USA, and said that installing the APK from the EU site caused the license to change and that it would revert to Europe again automatically if I ever installed an EU APK in the future. Maybe I'm still right about all the binaries really being the same and the CoPilot support was just trying to cover for their server really screwing up my license.

Oh, and with CoPilot automatically triggering the GPS, it works fine for me. I don't use any third-party bluetooth GPS apps. I just enable bluetooth in the Archos settings, then found the Bluetooth GPS setting in Location and told it to use my BT A737. Since then, I just have to enable bluetooth (via the Power widget) then open CoPilot and it automatically enables GPS and pairs with the A737.

Return to “Archos 70 Internet Tablet”