Just in Case....

Improve this forum and the http://archosfans.com blog
roylovelock

Just in Case....

Post by roylovelock »

This is a temp post i will remove in about a week.

For all of you that reply to easily recognisable spam - you will get an instant warning from now on,
Im sick to death having to remove posts that say "spam please remove", "mods do your job" etc etc etc, or something else to that effect when all you need to do is hit the ! in the bottom right hand corner and mark it as spam, WE will get the warning and deal with it in a timely mannor.

Now when you reply to spam you have made our jobs more tricky, we have to ip ban and user name ban, if your ip gets in that box by accident (it has and does happen) then you will be banned - again more work for admin and moderators.

The spammers think were stupid on here, they seem to think that we are intrested in aeesoft video conversion software that doesnt work - or we need some ugg boots, wow gold or the latest iphone for $200 - they are the stupid ones thinking anyone will fall for such scams - but in the intrest of online safety we delete them, most of the time before anyone has acutally opened up the page - so they have wasted thier time and the moderators time and hopefully they have spent a small fortune putting this rubbish up in thier local internet cafe only to be deleted.

So just incase you havent read the forum rules - read and digest, were not heavy on rules on here, but the few we have keep this place a friendly place so abide by them please.

thankyou
roy
COYI
viking

Re: Just in Case....

Post by viking »

It would be nice if admin software were also able to automatically send a strong admonishment to anyone who even viewed a topic with an obvious spam title. Something like: "Are you a complete idiot, supporting the very spammer who is vandalizing this forum?". Maybe post such viewer names in a hall-of-shame topic.
a101g9 a70g8 an10g2 sg42 sg5 voy115
czesiu
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by czesiu »

roylovelock wrote: all you need to do is hit the ! in the bottom right hand corner and mark it as spam
it's not really an easiest button to notice ;)

I think it is worth considering changing it to a "Report" button
blazingwolf
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by blazingwolf »

viking wrote:It would be nice if admin software were also able to automatically send a strong admonishment to anyone who even viewed a topic with an obvious spam title. Something like: "Are you a complete idiot, supporting the very spammer who is vandalizing this forum?". Maybe post such viewer names in a hall-of-shame topic.
So how would you propose to report spam when there is something like this? Can't exactly do it from the index page can we.
Follow me on mytabletlife.com.
AllenPapapetrou
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by AllenPapapetrou »

Oops :roll:

Allen
-An old geek 8)
5IT|A70S|A101
noc
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by noc »

Well there's always this to try and stop spam accounts being made. I use a version of it on my SMF forum and it certainly catches them.
weedahoe
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by weedahoe »

Im a mod on another unrelated board so I can relate. We get tons more traffic and posts than here and it does get time consuming. Not trying to step on any toes here but the way you mention it is handled seems a bit excessive. I delete spam posts in a legit thread or delete a spam thread altogether and then simply have the spammers IP banned. Unticking another IP in the box that has the associated members name next to it is pretty easy for us. Maybe you guys need to look at software changes or layouts?? Or maybe there are other underlying issues I don't know about being im new here. Again, not trying to step on toes, just speaking aloud and trying to help.
AllenPapapetrou
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by AllenPapapetrou »

Our Admin is looking at this.

Allen
-An old geek 8)
5IT|A70S|A101
eagle1
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by eagle1 »

Also, please make the ! bigger or more noticeable!!

Thanks
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

Q&A registration will hopefully stop most of this. I'll try to upgrade the site to that in the next few days.
rmckinnon
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by rmckinnon »

I'll agree with the ! needing to be bigger

I've looked to report spam posts (I mod the WhatMobile forum) and didn't see the ! at all

I do agree also that the opening post of this thread is a bit OTT
Organdave
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Organdave »

I NOW know that tiny little ! is there so I will use it...BUT I actually LOOKED for a report button on the post I commented on and did not find one, so it absolutely needs to be bigger and more obvious where the report button is. That thing is far too tiny and unnoticeable as it is.

Also, telling us to read & digest the rules is not overly helpful when you do not put the information IN the rules, just a link to some post. Take the time to update your rules to be concise and clear and everyone will have an easier time following them. I just went back and double-checked here: http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=16986

If you added a line to the effect of -REPORT any spam post using the report button in the bottom right corner marked !

See, simple and everyone will catch it.

Just my $.02 as a new user who would have reported instead of replying had I seen it.
GeoD
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by GeoD »

If you added a line to the effect of -REPORT any spam post using the report button in the bottom right corner marked !
Image Or, change the exclaimation mark to text if that's possible. I never knew it was there and I thought I was being helpful by telling you guys (admins) the site is getting hit with SPAM by sending you a PM. After reading through this thread and the SPAM thread in the rules section Im seeing a lot of people are unaware of the report button.

What do you mean by "replying to recognisable SPAM"? Are people clicking on the SPAM links? If so, those people need to be banned from the internet and email all together.
ClaudeGray
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by ClaudeGray »

As long as I've been viewing this site I never noticed that button.

(I've been here since June 2010, and recently subscribed)
Archos 5IT 8gb | ViewSonic G Tablet
davep1
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by davep1 »

ClaudeGray wrote:As long as I've been viewing this site I never noticed that button.

(I've been here since June 2010, and recently subscribed)
Don't feel bad. I made it all the way up to Guru posting here and I never noticed it either.

+1 to GeoD's suggestion to replace the ! with text. Maybe REPORT to match the PROFILE and PM buttons.
OldGdgtGuy 8gA5
loganss
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by loganss »

Charbax wrote:Q&A registration will hopefully stop most of this. I'll try to upgrade the site to that in the next few days.
Q&A registration takes care of nearly all spam posts since the question you can ask is unique to each forum and you can change it on a regular basis.

I've implemented it on a phpbb forum I host so if you need help, let me know. It comes standard in the latest phpbb but you have to manually add it if your phpbb is not up-to-date.
A101-8GB | N1
noc
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by noc »

Q+A is called SAPTCHA or Semi Automatic Public Turing Test and can be more effective than CAPTCHA. SMF lets you put in multiple questions and have it choose x number of questions at random.
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

Q&A requires an updated template. I'll continue to work on that after the 10th this month.
LarryR2
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by LarryR2 »

GeoD wrote:... Or, change the exclaimation mark to text if that's possible...
I know I'm late to this discussion, but would this ( Image ) be a reasonable icon for the spam report? I cut/pasted pieces of other icon images to make this one. It has the same file name as the exclamation point so it might just work as a replacement image.

Larry
PhoenixDiablo
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by PhoenixDiablo »

LarryR2 wrote:
GeoD wrote:... Or, change the exclaimation mark to text if that's possible...
I know I'm late to this discussion, but would this ( Image ) be a reasonable icon for the spam report? I cut/pasted pieces of other icon images to make this one. It has the same file name as the exclamation point so it might just work as a replacement image.

Larry

I second Larry's suggestion.

Return to “about ArchosFans.com”