Archos 43 User experience poor due to touchscreen behaviour

4.3", $219 for 16GB, HDMI output, HD camcorder...
Mick1122
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Archos 43 User experience poor due to touchscreen behaviour

Post by Mick1122 »

I bought an Archos 43 last May, I have to say that the user experience is very poor, the touchscreen is resisitive and is irresponsive even with the latest firmware upgrade, sent mine back to Archos to see if it is defective or not. I can not understand why Archos went for a resitive screen instead of a capacitive one, it they have put the capacitive screen, the Archos 43 would be an Apple Ipod serious contender.
The picture quality of the camera is really bad, HD videos, don't know what to say. I have a Blackberry Torch 9800 and I can tell you that the camcorder quality is much better by far, I know that the phone is twice as expensive as the Archos 43

Other features of the Archos 43, like Networking, mini HDMI output, Music Player are great and work very well.

But if you are used to any decent touchscreen like the ones that come with the blackberry torch 9800, Iphone 3GS or 4, Samsung Galaxy, HTC or even lower spec phones like Samsung Europa(my little daughter has one), my recommendation is not to buy it because you will regret it.

A very upset and disappointed Archos 43 owner
marcel
Archos User
Archos User

Re: Archos 43 User experience poor due to touchscreen behavi

Post by marcel »

have a look at the samsung galaxy s wifi 4.0 or 5.0
I've posted a review of my 5 inch device in the competitor section

marcel
exelletor
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by exelletor »

I am pretty sure that Archos will come with something portable this year. So, I would wait for that to come.
GeoD
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by GeoD »

I agree with Marcel. Look at my Samsung Galaxy Player review. I got the 4.0 (4 inch) and I LOVE IT!! I wish I never bought the A43IT but it was the only pocket tablet available at the time.

http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=60810
Last edited by GeoD on Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
racky
Archos User
Archos User

Post by racky »

Mick1122 wrote:I bought an Archos 43 last May, I have to say that the user experience is very poor, the touchscreen is resisitive and is irresponsive even with the latest firmware upgrade, sent mine back to Archos to see if it is defective or not. I can not understand why Archos went for a resitive screen instead of a capacitive one, it they have put the capacitive screen, the Archos 43 would be an Apple Ipod serious contender.
The picture quality of the camera is really bad, HD videos, don't know what to say. I have a Blackberry Torch 9800 and I can tell you that the camcorder quality is much better by far, I know that the phone is twice as expensive as the Archos 43

Other features of the Archos 43, like Networking, mini HDMI output, Music Player are great and work very well.

But if you are used to any decent touchscreen like the ones that come with the blackberry torch 9800, Iphone 3GS or 4, Samsung Galaxy, HTC or even lower spec phones like Samsung Europa(my little daughter has one), my recommendation is not to buy it because you will regret it.

A very upset and disappointed Archos 43 owner
So you bought it last May, and you decided to join this forum last week(8 months later) to say something bad about this product? Where have you been all this time?

Anyway, if you are a real Archos user(I hope), then there is nothing that need to be upset, just sell it and get something else if you don't like it.

I joined this forum the Sept the year before last year, way before I bought my A43 and I like it a lot.
GeoD
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by GeoD »

I wasn't aware people had a time frame to join a forum to give an opinion of a product they bought. I'm gonna have to find the forums rules and review them. Or there might be a blurb on my 43IT sales slip! :lol:
Maybe Mick1122 was just throughly field testing the 43IT.
racky
Archos User
Archos User

Post by racky »

It is not about the time frame that need to join this forum . It is about why it took someone so long to say something that he hates so much. How long does it take for a person to realize he doesn't like a product? fews days, few weeks? Ok, maybe 1 to 2 months for slow people. But 8 months, c'mon man, use some common sense. Why didn't he sell it or return it?
There always have people on the internet that gave out false reviews, some positive, some negative, for whatever reasons they have, some for money, some try to eliminate the competition, some just don't like a company and just don't want people to buy ANTHING from them.
There was another guy on the amazon that gave out a 1 star for this product, he didn't even own the product. He just saw some people complained about the screen, so he wanted to complain too. Take a look, completely non-sense.

http://www.amazon.com/Archos-4-3-Inch-I ... geNumber=3

I am not saying this is the best product for everyone, but people should know what they are buying. THIS IS A RESISIVE SCREEN, it says on the product description. If people didn't read before they buy, then they should blame themselves, not the product. I own an Ipod Touch too which has a capacitive screen, and I have no problem adapting both products

It sounds like someone married a gay man, and 8 months later then telling people he doesn't like him because he is not a woman. People should know the difference.

Anyway, I am not going to keep feeding this troll, I have said what I wanted to say.
GeoD
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by GeoD »

racky wrote: 1. How long does it take for a person to realize he doesn't like a product? fews days, few weeks?
2. There always have people on the internet that gave out false reviews, some try to eliminate the competition There was another guy on the amazon that gave out a 1 star for this product, he didn't even own the product. He just saw some people complained about the screen, so he wanted to complain too.
3. but people should know what they are buying. THIS IS A RESISIVE SCREEN, it says on the product description. If people didn't read before they buy, then they should blame themselves
Thx for you last input. I will also chime in one last time. I will answer each point of yours from the above quoted statements.

1. Maybe he realized this about the same time a majority of us realized this product was crap. BUT!! There wasn't anything else available in a pocket tablet size. The only products available in that size were smart phones and iProducts. Archos had a great opportunity to corner the market in this form factor and be strong competitors against the iPod Touch but they BLEW IT using cheap hardware and writing crappy firmware. If you don't believe this just review the 43IT section of this forum from a year ago till present. It didn't take long after people purchased it to pitch in their complaints. Also, look at the latest firmware bug section. People are still complaining their Gen 8 devices aren't working properly.

2. If this is true then it's just wrong and the guy should keep his trap shut. But, maybe....just maybe the guy in queston was smart and he tried one out at a department store and voiced his opinion. Just like I ran to Bestbuy after learning about the Samsung Galaxy Player. It took all of 30 seconds before I knew the SGP was for me and I purchased one several weeks afterwards. I was very happy I was able to "try" before "buy" with the SGP. Most of use didn't have that luxury with the A43IT because Archos was months behind in production and our preorders were placed several months before we saw our product. As I stated in my review in the "competitors" section...I couldn't be happier with my SGP 4.0. I have not had one lick of trouble with it since I purchased it. Not one bug, glitch, or oddity. It's almost like an Apple product. It just works!!

3. WE were all aware of this. But, as I said previously, it was the only Android pocket tablet available at the time so we just swallowed the turd and dealt with it the best we could. I will tell you this though. It's pretty sad that the A43IT's resistive screen performs worse than my Dell Axim X30's resistive screen (launched in 2004). That screen was never meant to be a "finger touch screen" and it came with a stylus. But, it performed a hell of a lot better than the A43IT. Even when I used my finger to navigate the X30's screen! Bottom line is the Gen8's are CRAP!! The only way I was able to navigate through the 43's screen was to use my stylus (from my X30). Using my finger was absolutely impossible and down right frustrating.

In conclusion. It's not right to bag on Mick1122 because he waited so long to voice his opinion. Maybe he was a closet Archos user and it took him this long to gain the courage and come out and admit it. ;) Personally, my A43IT served it's purpose for me, but it was not a great experience. Straight out of the box I had to do some archaic work arounds to use it while dealing with all the firmware bugs that still haven't been resolved. Now that there's other android pocket tablets available I would only suggest to people not to waste their money buying a A43IT because they probably won't be happy with it as a lot of us found out the hard way over the course of a year.
racky
Archos User
Archos User

Post by racky »

GeoD, this is the reply for your message, so I am not feeding him.

(1) I don't know where you got the idea that people who did complain are the majority of the users. As I said at the other thread, there are still a whole lot of people that love this device and never say anything because they don't need any help .

http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=55384

And go to amazon.com, there have more people who gave 5 stars than people who gave 1 star on this product. It is not a crap.

http://www.amazon.com/Archos-4-3-Inch-I ... ewpoints=1

I don't know why people keep saying companies should make a iproducts killer, I have one, I hate it, I just upgraded to IOS 5.01, now the whole screen takes a long time to response, programs FC all the time, but I got it for free, so I am not going to complain. But I have a lot of friends who bought them and hated them too, just sell it, or return it, no big deal.

(2)no matter how late was the shipment, there was still at one point you would get the products in your hands, right? And you still could try it, like it or hate it, keep it or return it, right? No one says since the shipment was delayed, now you have to keep using it forever. I know you like your GSP 4.0, I did try it last week at Bestbuy and I like it too. But, it has no BT tethering ability, no TV out and no kick stand. And there also have people that don't like it for other reasons.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/12/gala ... -0-review/

Quoted,

"-but is that enough to compensate for the rest of its short comings, especially the seriously disappointing audio? And for $30 more than the 8GB iPod touch? Not even close. "

Now you tell me how you feel if someone says GSP 4 is a piece of crap. You don't like A43, doesn't mean it is a bad product.

(3) No comment, we both agree it was the best product at that time. You hate the screen, I love it. You have bad experience, I don't.

And my conclusion, don't call a product a piece of crap just because you don't like it, you make other people feel you know better than them and they are stupid. I don't like Iproduct, but I won't say they are craps. And don't assume the people who did complain are the majority of the users. Some people just complain about everything. They are just not happy people.

BTW, I think Apple paid the guy to do the review on engadget.com on GSP 4.0, now you know what I am talking about false reviews, always use common sense.
exelletor
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by exelletor »

I got a Lumia 800 a few weeks ago. Like every other tablet/phone/electronic device it also had/has bugs at the start. Battery which doesn't charge properly, the touchscreen is not the best(it's a capacitive, but in some situations A43's is better!), camera is not always auto focussing(even A43IT sometimes makes better pictures), audio quality is awful(I like 43IT for that), Nokia Drive is not working like it has been advertised and there are some other minor bugs. Archos Gen8 had similar bugs at the start, but fw 2.1.8 was quite stable. 2.3.26 made it worse, but people could just stay at stable 2.1.8.
The first firmware update for the Nokia Lumia came at the beginning of december and a few days ago there came a second one. It was advertised to fix the battery and Wi-fi problems. I did not have any Wi-fi problems, but what about the battery? After two charge cycles it's back to normal(=not charging completely)! So, it took them more then a month to fix some Wi-fi problems!!! And with this update, they broke the backlit for the buttons! So, it has actually become worse for me. In that way, Archos is much and much better.
_
When I look at the 2.4.81 firmware thread, there are not much people complaining. BT tethering doesn't work with some applications and there is no voice input & output setting.
GeoD
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by GeoD »

Racky. I would definitely tell you if people do not like the SGP. But so far as you know, I have no issues with it and I have not read anyone else having major issues on the SGP forums. People are just lovin it. Yes, it lacks a HDMI port (except for the Korean model) and it doesn't have a kickstand. These are only minor setbacks and weren't deal breakers for me. I can buy a cellphone stand for $3 if I really want to prop it up. Now, if someone said the SGP was a piece of crap, I would say that was their opinion and they are entitled to that. I certainly wouldn't get upset over their comments. I don't own any stock in these companies nor do I have any personal/emotional ties with them. I just want a product that works well.

I'm truely glad you and others are having a good experience with your 43IT. I just wish it was a better product because it would have saved me a few bucks in the longrun. Please don't try to put words in my mouth and say I'm calling people stupid. Remember, I'm an owner of a 43IT too. So if that was the case then I would only be calling myself stupid as well. I was just commenting on my and other users experiences with the device. Their opinions are plastered all over this forum. Just do a little digging and you will see for yourself. The main thing I'm trying to do now is to steer newbies looking to buy a pocket tablet in another direction and purchase a different product. A less expensive and overall better product. But, if people wish to waste their money...so be it. They can't say nobody warned them.

To answer your question about the "try before buy" option with the 43IT. No, there wasn't one available at my local department stores. Archos was way behind in production and I actually got mine before BestBuy received their shipment in. So, I did not have the opportunity to give one a try. I only saw Charbax's video reviews and read many others on the internet. My 43 was delivered to me Jan 23rd, 2010. I placed my order Nov 28th, 2009. If I could have tried one before my purchase I probably would have passed on it and perservered using my X30 until something else came out. My X30 treated me very well over the years but it just became outdated and I could hardly view any websites and apps were becoming harder to find.

My 43IT will be up for sale once I watch all my downloaded movies through the HDMI. It will be available for $100. I think that is a vey fair price for it. I will inform people that a stylus is needed to get any type of productivity out of it.

Thx for the conversation. Best of luck with your 43IT and future gadgets. Remember. Don't feed the trolls! Image
Greg_e
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Greg_e »

I will say that when my 43it was new is was pretty decent... As newer better firmwares came out I was less satisfied with it. I think I need to research the way back to 2.0.71 when I was happy and see if there has been any permanent damage to the hardware from the gpu overclocking. A Samsung might be in my future as I won't waste money on another Archos product. This is my second Archos "music" player, the first was an old tired Jukebox with a 10GB drive, the 43 replaced it if that tells you how happy I was with my original device. I bought the Jukebox new about ten years ago and it served faithfully until I decided I wanted a bluetooth output for speakers in a motorcycle helmet.
julian67
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by julian67 »

I knew the A43 had a resistive screen when I bought it (February 2011). It's clearly described by Archos and in every review I've seen, and I also tried the A43IT in-store before I went ahead and purchased. The resistive screen is the weakest point of the A43IT but it's also the reason that at the time it cost £80 less than an iPod Touch with smaller capacity and no expansion slot! At the time the new versions of the Samsung Galaxy Players weren't available here, and again the A43IT is much, much cheaper! Do people really think price differences of £60 or £80 or £100+ are marginal? Or that Archos are giving stuff away at cost price or less? They are not. There is a trade off. With the A43IT you get much better video and audio codec and container support than any other Android device, or any Apple tablet. You can play pretty much any audio or video file that can fit on the device, with hardware acceleration and without any need for conversion - try that with your Samsung or iPod Touch! You also get what is probably the best tablet video player out there with support for vobsub subtitles as well as text subs such as srt and ass. You also get a device designed and intended to have its software modded and adapted by the user communities, and you have a choice of official, or modified or completely different firmwares. But when Archos describe the screen as resistive that means it is resistive. Why would anyone buy it knowing this, and then complain that it is not capacitive??? It isn't the best resistive screen I've used but it's a very long way from the worst.

I just looked on amazon uk. A new A43IT 16GB is currently ┬ú85 from amazon (not marketplace). A new SAMSUNG Galaxy player 16 GB is ┬ú220 whether 4 or 5 inch screen. That's ┬ú135 difference! ┬ú135 is $210 US, or Ôé¼160. A 4th Gen iPod Touch will cost over ┬ú200 as well, whether 8GB or 32GB. Why does anyone think it makes sense to compare these with the A43IT as though expecting the hardware to be approximately the same???? Imo people need to be a little more realistic. You might as well buy a Ford and then complain it suffers from the serious defect of not being a BMW.
racky
Archos User
Archos User

Post by racky »

Take a look at my latest post here.

http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=61911

Even though some people think they know the difference between Resistive vs Capacitive Screen, but they don't. If you do not know how to use a resistive screen and never have one before, DO NOT BUY THIS DEVICE.

Hope that help for people to make their decision whether to buy this device or not. Resistive screens need pressure to work, so a stylus or fingernail is needed, that is not a warning, that is the fact.
GeoD
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by GeoD »

Greg_e. Im getting my first motorcycle this spring and using bluetooth headphones is a GREAT idea!! Im going to have to look into that. I have a handlebar mount in mind for my SPG player for the GPS. But after your post I now realize I will be able to listen to music as well. Thx for the tip!

Julian67. So far my SPG 4.0 has played everything thing I have thrown at it (audio and video). It even plays the videos that the Archos needs that special codec for.

Just for the record so there's no cornfusion. I was well aware that the 43IT was a resistive screen. I figured it was no big deal because I never had or used a capacitive screen and for 7yrs I used a stylus on my X30. Now that I have a capacitive I don't think I will ever look back to the resistive screens again. I agree the screen was the biggest downfall of the smaller Gen 8's. Trying to type with my fingers was a complete nightmare and I was always reaching for my stylus. I can't blame my fingers either because I don't have large fat fingers. I was thinking of getting those finger stylus that slip over the finger. But, I saw the SGP and that was that. I have seen others complaining that the 43IT should have been capacitive. I would agree but it is what it is.

Right now the SGP 4.0 sells for $200 and the 5.0 is $235 in the USA. I got my 4.0 at Bestbuy for $179 ($114.79 uk). That was a deal that ran for only a week. When the SGP 5.0 was first released I heard they costed over $500 ($320.65 uk)!! Now that is just plain CRAZY and I would have been reaching for a 43IT too. But now the SPG costs less than the 43IT.
racky
Archos User
Archos User

Post by racky »

GeoD, we got your points, thanks. For those people who wants to know the difference between A43 and GSP, here is the thread.

http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=59389
GeoD
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by GeoD »

Thx for the post. Hope that helps settle the debate of resistive vs capacitive...43IT vs SGP.
molecom
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by molecom »

Three years ago we only had resistive screens, no capacitive.
I had many PDA's and smartphones with a resistive screen, but also some with a capacitive screen.

What borders me is that you can't really use a stylus so drawing is quite limited.On a resistive screen you can use anything like a pen or whatever.
There are stylusses for capacitive screen but they have a big or unusal top like the Dagi I had.

I once try one, the Dagi stylus when I had an ipod. It was't very accurate.
And it end up in a drawer, still have it.
In between I made one.

It wasn't what I was looking for.

Ofcourse a resistive screen has it drawbacks, though in some cases it is better.But if you know what you're buying you also know whast you get buying device with a resistive screen. I have experienced if you push firmly it does work. It isn't enough to just "touch" it like on a capacitive screen.It just doesn't s work like that.
A good read, especially thereply about "over sensitive", that's true. I experience the same.
http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=61911
Just touching a capacitive screen can mess up things too, like starting something you don't want to.
marcel
Archos User
Archos User

Post by marcel »

Er, my sgp 5 inch 8gb was £135, thats $202!on amazon uk.

I couldnt see one anywhere, so it was a leap of faith. But i knew i could return it if it diddnt play my avi collection.
Plays thing that my friends g8 101 wont play in a head to head test without cinema pluggin which cost more than an 8gb high speed card. So it cost less than the a43it.
The main difference is, the sgp worked out of the box, no firmware updates needed. That was a big deal to me.
l told someone at work about the heated discussion about the two devices. When i said someone had said a good point is that the a43 had 18 firmware updates, his response was that indicates it's faulty!
In a modern market if things dont work, they wont be tolerated. I run a photographic shop, i know. Part of it is educating people, but devices should do what they say. Most people dont want to tinker.

Now im happy and can sit back and see how the tablet market develops

Marcel
julian67
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by julian67 »

marcel wrote:Er, my sgp 5 inch 8gb was £135, thats $202!on amazon uk.....
Marcel
That is the old version, Samsung Galaxy Player 50, with only a 3.2" screen (in this case 5" is the size of the product, not the screen!). It is end of line/discontinued, hence the price.http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-8GB-Gal ... 289&sr=8-3

The current version (with 5" screen) is http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Galaxy- ... 289&sr=8-5

I did mention in my earlier post the screen sizes and that I was referring to the new Galaxy players, distinct from the old players with their small screens.

The old Galaxy Player 50 is not in the same class as the new Galaxy S Wifi 5 products, either in screen size or specifications or positive reviews. The 8GB or 16GB Galaxy Player 5 may be worth the extra £50 it costs over the 16GB A43IT on Amazon UK but it isn't a Galaxy S.

Samsung and Archos both have a habit of offering different products with very similar names, and Samsung go a step further and offer the same product under different names in different markets, all of which obviously causes confusion.

Return to “Archos 43 Internet Tablet”