New 43

General Gen8 Archos Tablet discussions
stangdaman
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

New 43

Post by stangdaman »

I just got an Archos 43 yesterday and I'm still not sure. I had thought about going with the Archos 5 because I really wanted more storage space but just got a deal on it that I couldn't pass up. I have had a really hard time typing on the screen. It's gotten a little better as I've become a little more accustomed to it but still seem to fat finger the wrong key quite often or get repeated presses when I only intend to press once. It was a lot of fun typing in my routers password. I seem to remember reading a review that said there was an app you could get that made the typing significantly easier but I don't recall what that app was. Does anyone know what app they may have been referring to?

Also, I installed a heywire app so that I could send sms texts from my 43. Does anyone know if I have to leave that app open all the time to get incoming texts or does it have a process that runs in the background that will notify me of new ones.
steveb625
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: New 43

Post by steveb625 »

Try using a stylus or your fingernail. The resistive screens are NOT fat finger friendly.
SteveB
A9 Win7HP
A32 A70-8v6 UD1.6
stangdaman
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by stangdaman »

I can answer the Heywire question now. You do get an update even if the app is not open so it is running in the background if anyone else has that question.
stangdaman
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by stangdaman »

I tried playing a FLAC file on my 43 and received a message that said something to the effect that this format is not supported. I thought the 43 should be able to play FLAC. Any ideas?
Mr. Raven's Fjord
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Mr. Raven's Fjord »

stangdaman wrote:I tried playing a FLAC file on my 43 and received a message that said something to the effect that this format is not supported. I thought the 43 should be able to play FLAC. Any ideas?

Have you updated to the most recent firmware? If so, it is a weird bug (one I'm all too familiar with) and usually I have to end up restarting the device itself. I don't know the cause, or anything like that, but it has happened to me with .mp3 files too, and it happens often.

It's quite annoying and it truly makes you wonder how cheap Chinese crap that costs a sixteenth of my A43 could get audio files right while a well established audiophile's device screwed it up :/
stangdaman
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by stangdaman »

I just had it happen with an mp3 too. It says my firmware is up to date though. In fact it looks like I can't play any music at all right now.
Mr. Raven's Fjord
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Mr. Raven's Fjord »

stangdaman wrote:I just had it happen with an mp3 too. It says my firmware is up to date though. In fact it looks like I can't play any music at all right now.

Yeppers, its the new firmware update that killed the most primordial of tasks. I feel your pain, I can't even look at my Archos anymore I'm so ashamed of it.
stangdaman
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by stangdaman »

Forcing a reboot fixed mp3s for me. I still can't play FLAC files though. Maybe it's the files I have. Anyone know of a site that has sample flac files you can download?

Yup, it looks like it must have been something wrong with the file actually because I just downloaded a flac file from:

http://www.archive.org/browse.php?colle ... %2Fcreator

and it worked just fine.
stangdaman
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by stangdaman »

Does anyone know if there is a maximum class for the micro sd slot on the archos? I'm thinking of adding more storage and will probably go with a 32gb card but was just curious if it matters which class card or if the Archos could handle a class 10 speed card.

Also, are there any accessories available yet for the 43? One thing that would be nice would be a breakout cable for the device so that if I go to someone house that doesn't have hdmi and wanted to show them something I could still use the video out.
exelletor
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by exelletor »

stangdaman wrote:Also, are there any accessories available yet for the 43? One thing that would be nice would be a breakout cable for the device so that if I go to someone house that doesn't have hdmi and wanted to show them something I could still use the video out.

You mean something like mini-hdmi to vga or mini-hdmi to dvi cable? If yes, they are plenty of Chinese ones. :D Otherwise, please explain. :) There are not much special accesoires for A43IT - just screen protectors, cases/sleeves, some cables(like usb-host cable) and skinomi skins.
_
I think Archos can handle Class 10, but I don't know if it can use all advantages of it.
stangdaman
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by stangdaman »

No, I mean something that doesn't use HDMI. For instance if you wanted to hook up to a non digital input on an older tv or if someone didn't have an HDMI slot available so you wanted to hook into the component or composite in. I guess I mean something along the lines of the dock that was available for the Archos 5. I haven't seen anything like that so I'm assuming no but I thought I'd check.
exelletor
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by exelletor »

Read this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=37808

You can only get mini-hdmi to vga/dvi port(digital), for composite(analog) you will need some expensive converters. It will cost you around 100$(can be a bit less, but do not expect to find it at BestBuy for 20$) and a lot of cables/things. Do you really need it?
stangdaman
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by stangdaman »

It would be nice. The only time I would use the video out is at someone elses house not my own and not everyone has an open HDMI port on their TV. For that matter I don't either. I think the Archos 5 probably would have fit my needs more. I'm not really satisfied with the lack of storage space and less features of the 43. It's a nice device but I really wanted more of a media player than an internet device.

Return to “General Archos Gen8: Archos 28, 32, 43, 70 and 101 Internet Tablets”