Google Voice how to?

General Gen8 Archos Tablet discussions
snortonx
Archos User
Archos User

Google Voice how to?

Post by snortonx »

Would someone be so kind as to post a DETAILED how to to get this working, I've seen several references to it but no step by step instructions. I downloaded a Google Voice app off of AppsLib, this almost looks like some homebrew app, regardless it fails to authenticate. Not sure how I could be doing it wrong, I simply have the gmail account, the google voice # assigned, and my password.

I've also downloaded SipDroid and I have no clue how to use that.

I'm willing to play around & read but it seems I can barely get started, very confusing.

Thanks.
snortonx
Archos User
Archos User

Re: Google Voice how to?

Post by snortonx »

ok I was using some homebrew junk, now that I've found the official app on the market it won't even install, gives me an error -17.
Gimpdiggity
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Gimpdiggity »

I've read a few times on this forum that if you can get Google Voice installed, it usually causes nothing but trouble, and then becomes VERY difficult to completely remove.

For that reason alone, I'm leaving it off of the device.
mke1973
Archos User
Archos User

Post by mke1973 »

For those with GV numbers, I would suggest using the free Sipdroid ap. When you install it, the setup wizard gives you the option to allow it to automatically set up your GV number with a free pbxes.org account. You do need to stay within the alotted minutes provided for the free pbxes accounts.
snortonx
Archos User
Archos User

Post by snortonx »

This is kind of what I mean, I did not get any kind of setup wizard with sipdroid, just a lot of options and little documentation.
mke1973
Archos User
Archos User

Post by mke1973 »

snortonx wrote:This is kind of what I mean, I did not get any kind of setup wizard with sipdroid, just a lot of options and little documentation.
I'm a long-term VOIP user and already had a pbxes.com account setup with my GV number before I bought the 101. I didn't allow the wizard (the automated setup screens asking you for info), but input my existing account info. Uninstall and re-install Sipdroid, when it asks if you want it to setup a pbxes.org account indicate that you do, also, when it asks if you have a GV number that you want associated with a pbxes.org choose yes.
snortonx
Archos User
Archos User

Post by snortonx »

I'll see if I can get that wizard to kick in tonight. Do I even need Google Voice installed?
Stout
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Stout »

I'm having the same problem installing the google voice app on my archos 28. It was working fine before on the stock firmware, but since i loaded urukdroid 0.7 i can't get the google voice app to install. i only want it for the txting with notifications.
mke1973
Archos User
Archos User

Post by mke1973 »

snortonx wrote:I'll see if I can get that wizard to kick in tonight. Do I even need Google Voice installed?

If you use Sipdroid, you won't need the GV app installed.
snortonx
Archos User
Archos User

Post by snortonx »

Thats good, I looked thru every setting last night and there is no wizard that I can see, or any settings that look remotely like "creat a new pbx account". I'm starting to wonder exactly what kind of Sipdroid app I have.
mke1973
Archos User
Archos User

Post by mke1973 »

snortonx wrote:Thats good, I looked thru every setting last night and there is no wizard that I can see, or any settings that look remotely like "creat a new pbx account". I'm starting to wonder exactly what kind of Sipdroid app I have.
You won't get the automated options unless you uninstall and then re-install Sipdroid. The automated options only appear upon first install. If you've setup a pbxes account, don't use that account, have the wizard setup a new pbxes account. Also, if you've manually configured your GV to work with an existing account and you're going to use the wizard, delete the pbxes info (i.e., phone number connected to a pbxes trunk) from GV and vice versa.
Union Man
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Union Man »

mke1973 wrote:
You won't get the automated options unless you uninstall and then re-install Sipdroid. The automated options only appear upon first install. If you've setup a pbxes account, don't use that account, have the wizard setup a new pbxes account. Also, if you've manually configured your GV to work with an existing account and you're going to use the wizard, delete the pbxes info (i.e., phone number connected to a pbxes trunk) from GV and vice versa.
Thanks for all your input on this subject. To the OP asking, mke is right. I remember when I first installed Sipdroid without knowing anything about installing it, There was a button asking if you want to set up a PBXes account. I too, will uninstall and install sipdriod after upgrading my GV account with a number. good luck and I'll need some too.
snortonx
Archos User
Archos User

Post by snortonx »

Any chance you can upload or host the .apk? Because I removed and re-installed, and there is no setup, there is no wizard. I believe I have Sipdroid 2.1 from sipdroid.org
Union Man
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Union Man »

I upgraded my GV account and obtained a phone number last night. Today I was going to go through the Sipdroid setup but forgot to bring my phone number to the wifi hotspot.
I deleted the old sipdroid and dl'ed a new one from Google Market. When you first open the app on the bottom it has a button to setup PBX with your GV account. I didn't set anything up yet since I didn't have my GV number with me.
Weird thing, I got my GV number last night and there already was a call for someone with that number, the call went to GV voicemail. I'm wondering did the caller know it was a google voice number since that's the greeting you get telling you that you called a google voice number.
snortonx
Archos User
Archos User

Post by snortonx »

When you first open the app on the bottom it has a button to setup PBX with your GV account.

Yeah I'm not getting this same app from the market, what the heck? No wonder it's so confusing, I'll keep trying.
snortonx
Archos User
Archos User

Post by snortonx »

Sipdroid. From the Market. There is no wizard. There is no button. Geez.
oomatter
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by oomatter »

snortonx wrote:Sipdroid. From the Market. There is no wizard. There is no button. Geez.
You must have the official GV app installed and set up first for the button to show up on Sipdroid.
Union Man
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Union Man »

snortonx wrote:Sipdroid. From the Market. There is no wizard. There is no button. Geez.
Bad news, you're right. I just tried using the GV and pbxes setup button, I get a notice that states Capacity Exceeded Automatic Account Creation Has Been Disabled.

I uninstalled and re-installed Sipdriod 3x and the GV and Pbxes setup button is not there anymore.
Looks like we have to setup manually through pbxes.

there is a new sipdroid app in market, sipdriod + seeme.

edit, more bad news, found this while googling
NOTICE!!!! Auto-setup has been suspended until May 2011. This method will not work until then, unless you obtain a paid pbxes account. If something changes before then, I'll note it here.

ha, I spelled sipdroid wrong.
snortonx
Archos User
Archos User

Post by snortonx »

oomatter wrote:
You must have the official GV app installed and set up first for the button to show up on Sipdroid.
well omfg, the app that refuses to install lol good lord

switching gears then, how to send sms from an archos device? I don't really want to talk on the damn phone anyway.
bsoplinger
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by bsoplinger »

GV has been telling me that I should update it for awhile. Do I have to go through that whole market install process again or can I just get the latest version of arctools (hope I got the right name) and re-run that?

Return to “General Archos Gen8: Archos 28, 32, 43, 70 and 101 Internet Tablets”