Thinking about getting the A32 please help!

General Gen8 Archos Tablet discussions
jondaviskorn
Archos User
Archos User

Thinking about getting the A32 please help!

Post by jondaviskorn »

was wondering how much of an improvement the a32 is over the a28 if im not mistaken doesnt the a32 have more ram then the a28? also i seen that the a32's processor supports DSP but the a28 doesnt list this . whats dsp exactly?
charge1313
Archos User
Archos User

Re: Thinking about getting the A32 please help!

Post by charge1313 »

Basically the A32 has this extra:

A camera (good video, terrible still shots, works fine for QR codes and barcodes)
An extra 4 gb of memory
Better battery life
A processor that is clocked slightly higher
2 times the ram - This makes a huge difference
A DSP - This lets you play videos much better
TV-out over component
Bluetooth - can be used to connect a bluetooth GPS or tether to a cell phone for 3g
Proper volume buttons
And a better, bigger screen. - This is important as it is impossible to type on the A28 screen and the extra size on the a32 makes this just about bearable for short pieces of text

for about $50 more

IMO, there is no reason anyone should ever get the A28 over the A32.

That said, I have a used A32 for sale. Its practically new - I  received it as a replacement from Archos' service center just last week. No scratches, works perfectly. Includes original box, documents, manual, data cable and earphones. And its still under warranty.

I'm willing to sell it for $115 + shipping And I'll throw in a used leather case (for the zune hd) which has been cut a bit to fit the A32.

Interested?
gondel
Archos User
Archos User

Post by gondel »

jondaviskorn wrote:was wondering how much of an improvement the a32 is over the a28 if im not mistaken doesnt the a32 have more ram then the a28? also i seen that the a32's processor supports DSP but the a28 doesnt list this . whats dsp exactly?
As an owner of an A28, I can safely say, "stay away". It has the small problem that not much works on it. The main problem is probably the lack of memory. Flash has never worked for more than a few seconds (despite the clear statements on Archos' web page that flash will be supported).
In other threads, people report that almost no games work.
I use it mainly as a radio, but even this has problems. Where I live, one can often get the evening current affairs program as a podcast. I am getting really annoyed that one only hears the first 10 to 15 minutes before it dies.
Opening a simple spreadsheet with officepro gives an out-of-memory error. At least it gives an error, rather than just dieing. Surprisingly, the same spreadsheet opened on an elderly windows mobile device claiming to have less memory.

It seemed cheap. It was cheap. One can see why.
Union Man
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Union Man »

I second what gondel stated. I too, have the A28, and will probably not be happy with the 32 because the screen is too small. I mainly use it to check my e-mails at public hotspots and to listen to a couple of CDs I've put on it.
MLB at bat 11 and angry birds seasons works well on my 28. I don't know about flash, even if it did work, the screen is too tiny.
I'm happy for what it is. Yeah it's cheap but not maylong cheap, which was the other tablet I was looking at for 99.99. At least, I get firmware updates with Archos.
pfontaine2
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by pfontaine2 »

I purchased my A32 second-hand on ebay and I am really very happy with it. I have an iPod 2G as well and I'd say they are pretty well matched. The one problem I've had with the A32 is that I occasionally have a song glitch on me and skip to the next song. I'm not certain why it does this but it is annoying when it does happen.

The camera is a nice extra but it's nothing great. You'll get the best pictures outdoors. Any picture I've taken indoors are very soft and muddy.

I've been able to install and use almost any app I've found, except for art and music apps such as Sketchbook Pro by Autodesk. Some of the apps aren't really up to the same level of polish as their Apple counterparts but all in all, I'm really very happy with the device.

Pierre
http://pierrefontaine.webs.com/

Return to “General Archos Gen8: Archos 28, 32, 43, 70 and 101 Internet Tablets”