Archos Plus LG Optimus V:new best deal in town

General Gen8 Archos Tablet discussions
bhmm
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Archos Plus LG Optimus V:new best deal in town

Post by bhmm »

http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=47660
This forum includes several posts on LG optimus V. But I never saw them until after I bought mine. So I'm posting here to let you all know the new best deal in USA.
Ihad already bought Straight talk Nokia E71 when I came across somebody talking about LG Intercept on this board and that he was able to activate it's Hotspot feature without rooting using Quick settings app. While researching the intercept I learned about lthe Optimus V.

OK please read the posts in this forum and on the internet. It's selling like Hot Cake at Radio Shack, Target, Best buy. Best buy had it on sale for $129.00. Comes with froyo and willl get Gingerbread in May. But the main thing it gets you voice (300 min) plus unlimited data & Text on Virgin Mobile (Spirint) 3G. And you can tether it just using Superbox or Quick Settings app to turn on the Infrastructure Hotspot mode. And your Archos can now use it as a fast 3G anywhere connection in SPrint coverage. No need to root your Archos or the phone.
I"m returning the Nokia e71 which was giving me unlimited everything for $45 on Straigth talk ATT coverage. But I had to use a hack to get Joikuspot Adhoc hotspot picked up by Archos. Speed was very good. Now I will save $20.00 every month , only pay 129 vs 199 and have a better Android phone instead of Symbian. Plus save the 12.00 for buying Joikuspot premium. Please search optimus v on this forum. I love the phone. Comes with 500 mb. Of RAM. Can not do flash. But that's why I have my archos. Some see this as a better deal than Archos 32. I agree. But for me it's mostly as a companion to my A101.
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Archos Plus LG Optimus V:new best deal in town

Post by Charbax »

Yes this is awesome. It is similar to the Alcatel One Touch that Archos plans to bundle with the devices, possibly for just $99 more. This pricing is much better value than the phones that require 2-year contracts or $500 unlocked.
gte105u
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gte105u »

Wow, that is awesome. You will have to see more and more competitors going in this direction before AT&T and Verizon start to back down on their fees for data. I think we will get there someday, and it starts with plans like this. My company has talked about decentralizing our cell phones and providing a stipend for us to get our own with. I wish they would go ahead and do that so I could jump on something like this and get tethering up and going...

EDIT- I have been reading some on the merger between AT&T and T Mobile (or really I should say acquisition I guess). This will be interesting to see how this impacts the landscape of the mobile data users and tether-ers. I have to say I am not optimistic on the direction this takes things... as in the exact opposite of what is needed to help lower costs and loosen restrictions on things like tethering.
A70 250GB|Acer A500|HTC Thunderbolt
beermebeerme
Archos User
Archos User

Post by beermebeerme »

As a long time virgin mobile customer and Intercept owner, VM blocks tethering to other appliances. THE ARCHOS WILL NOT LINK TO THE PHONE. They also block blue tooth to everything except select ear pieces. That said, I do have 300 mins, android, and unlimited everything else. If I needed to buy another phone and service I would choose VM again.

Randy
Union Man
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Union Man »

beermebeerme wrote:As a long time virgin mobile customer and Intercept owner, VM blocks tethering to other appliances. THE ARCHOS WILL NOT LINK TO THE PHONE. They also block blue tooth to everything except select ear pieces. That said, I do have 300 mins, android, and unlimited everything else. If I needed to buy another phone and service I would choose VM again.

Randy

I did not know that, I was thinking about VM again for their $25/month plan.
Rocknrao
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Rocknrao »

Just registered on forum. Bought the Optimus V on Sunday, and am considering an A70 used that I saw listed on Craigslist here in San Francisco.

As I understand it, you can bypass the tethering limitations imposed by VM using the Quick Settings app, which allows you to toggle the wifi hotspot feature of the phone.

However, as I see it, the real issue is the reliability of the 3G data connection on the Optimus V. So far, it has not looked promising, with the data connection dropping repeatedly, and for hours at a time. Other forums seem to suggest that the standard workaround is to reboot the phone, turn on airplane mode for a few seconds, then turn it off to somehow reset the phone's data connection. This hasn't been particularly effective for me.

Seeing as I'm not convinced by the phone yet, and haven't bought the A70 yet either, what can you tell me about the A70 in general? How do you folks like your Archos gen 8 devices, even without phone tethering, as the case may be?
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

Rocknrao wrote:Just registered on forum. Bought the Optimus V on Sunday, and am considering an A70 used that I saw listed on Craigslist here in San Francisco.

As I understand it, you can bypass the tethering limitations imposed by VM using the Quick Settings app, which allows you to toggle the wifi hotspot feature of the phone.

However, as I see it, the real issue is the reliability of the 3G data connection on the Optimus V. So far, it has not looked promising, with the data connection dropping repeatedly, and for hours at a time. Other forums seem to suggest that the standard workaround is to reboot the phone, turn on airplane mode for a few seconds, then turn it off to somehow reset the phone's data connection. This hasn't been particularly effective for me.

Seeing as I'm not convinced by the phone yet, and haven't bought the A70 yet either, what can you tell me about the A70 in general? How do you folks like your Archos gen 8 devices, even without phone tethering, as the case may be?
Your 3G coverage might depend on your location, where are you? I don't think Virgin Mobile's network (using Sprint?) is as good as some other networks in the USA for 3G coverage.
Rocknrao
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Rocknrao »

I'm in San Francisco.

Based on what I've seen from other Android forums, it appears the problem with the optimus v's data connection is pretty widespread.
deet
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by deet »

Can you use the Optimus V as a B/T GPS device on the Archos? Anyone tried this?

I don't live in the US, a PMP + GPS for that price looks like a good deal - even without using the phone as a phone.

Don.
A80S-V5(T1) OMAP4460 ES.1.1
bhmm
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by bhmm »

Rocknrao wrote:I'm in San Francisco.

Based on what I've seen from other Android forums, it appears the problem with the optimus v's data connection is pretty widespread.
I for one I"m using VM Optimus. I've seen the data connection drop issue but it's not that very often . And I only had to turn off and on The Mobile Data Setting. In networks settings. Did not have to reboot. My only two minor complaint s are the battery life & the network speed (sprint) vs ATT speed I was getting in Dallas thru Straight Talk (ATT) with The E71. But I say. Minor since saving 20.00 is worth it for me. I loose the umlimited Voice (only 300) min. But that's enoug h and manageable.
Somehow I can not use SPB TV app on VM network either on the phone or on the Archos. THe app works on both devices while on Wifi. I did not have that issue with E71. I guess VM blocks RTSP or something. I don't know. I can use other streaming.
I stilll like the LG Optimus way of using on clik setting to turn on Wifi Hotpot and creating an infrastructure signal insterad of Adhoc.
bhmm
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by bhmm »

beermebeerme wrote:As a long time virgin mobile customer and Intercept owner, VM blocks tethering to other appliances. THE ARCHOS WILL NOT LINK TO THE PHONE. They also block blue tooth to everything except select ear pieces. That said, I do have 300 mins, android, and unlimited everything else. If I needed to buy another phone and service I would choose VM again.

Randy
Just use Quick Settings App from the Market. NO rooting needed and turn on the hotspot. Another app is Superbox.
They both work on Optimus on Intercept
Rocknrao
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Rocknrao »

Interestingly enough, my phone just dropped the data connection again at roughly the same time it did yesterday.

I wonder if there's a connection, as in too many users on the network at once causing it to drop connections?

I'll have to wait and see. Yesterday's dead session lasted for about 6 hours. Maybe the daytime network traffic eases up in the evening.

This forum seems to have an explanation for what's going on.

http://androidforums.com/lg-optimus-v/3 ... obile.html

The reboot/airplane mode fix didn't work. Neither did the Quick Settings data toggle.
Rocknrao
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Rocknrao »

Alright, so last night I made my 3rd attempt at fixing the data connection drop problem with the Optimus V.

In the dial pad, I dialed *#*#4636#*#*

that opened up a test menu. I switched one of the settings to "GSM/CDMA (auto)".

So far today, I haven't had that dropped data connection problem, and my "time without signal" reading is down to about 5% from 50% yesterday.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this solution keeps working for the rest of today.

Now, to get my hands on that Archos 70 and try out the tethering feature...
beermebeerme
Archos User
Archos User

Post by beermebeerme »

"Just use Quick Settings App from the Market . NO
rooting needed and turn on the hotspot.
Another app is Superbox.
They both work on Optimus on Intercept"

I downloaded Quick Settings but do not see a "hotspot" function to turn on. Please provide step by step for tethering from the Intercept. Otherwise I stand by my statement that these wont tether.

randy
Rocknrao
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Rocknrao »

When you do the setup for Quick Settings, it's in the "hidden settings" as you scroll down the page.
bhmm
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by bhmm »

beermebeerme wrote: Otherwise I stand by my statement that these wont tether.
randy
You're very funny.... Hey your ignorance won't change the facts. You did not even bother trying the second app I spoon fed you! You could have saved time and be enjoying tethering. Anyway...You could even google and you would have found instructions...That's what I did when a poster on this forum (skdutta) was trying to to tether his Intercept thrue bluetooth to Archos without success even after rooting his intercept. He came back and mentioned that he solved the issue with QuickSettings. He did not give too much details.

http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.p ... 9&p=334063

So I went ahead and googled to find out and yes there are some "how to" ...on the internet. I also discovered Superbox by googling on this.
You see you've been missing the best part of Virgin Mobile. If only you were a little more proactive....

But since you want to be spoofed :

As advised above. The hotspot seting is not visible by default in Quick Setting app. Get into settings --- Customize --- and see it under Hidden Settings. You will need to tap & hold and drag that up into the visible settings portion. From there now it will be available for you.

As I said if you still have trouble just download Superbox. It gives you much more stuff and the Hotspot is already visible as one of the settings in the settings submenu.
beermebeerme
Archos User
Archos User

Post by beermebeerme »

First off, no need to be rude to one looking for help. Second, there is a wifi setting. Not a hotspot setting. Third, these do not have a transmitter so they can only receive a wifi signal. Finally, I stand by my statements that the phone and VM plan is great...but it wont tether.
goodsonr
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by goodsonr »

There are so many places to search on the web to show you are wrong it is not even funny.
For example:

-----------------------------------
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Tether-w ... -V_id17329

The LG Optimus V for Virgin Mobile just got even better for those who want to take full advantage of the cheap and unlimited data that the carrier offers so if you have one or are considering one listen up.

The LG Optimus V comes with Android 2.2 on board which actually does have support for tethering. However, this capability was disabled by the carrier because they do not wish to support tethering at this time. But thanks to a new application called Quick Settings, you can now get the most out of your unlimited data by turning the Optimus V into a WiFi hotspot. This app will not cost you a dime and doesnÔÇÖt even require your device to be rooted.
---------------------------------

I have the Canadian version (P500h or Optimus One). It is the same phone except the carrier didn't hide the settings. It can be a hot-spot. It - is - just - that -simple.
Rocknrao
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Rocknrao »

So I went ahead and bought a used A70 last night for $220.

As expected it tethers rather easily with the Optimus V. As noted earlier, you have to enable the Optimus V's wifi hotspot setting using an app like Quick Settings. The phone shows up in the A70's wireless network list, and you just tap it and boom! you're connected.

It's a bargain basement 3G tablet solution, but it works.

Can anyone recommend some essential apps to have for the A70? My phone uses Juice Defender to prolong battery life. Would that work on the A70, or is there a different app for that?
beermebeerme
Archos User
Archos User

Post by beermebeerme »

That is good that this works for you. My questions were not based on your phone but rather the samsung intercept. I have yet to hear from an actual owner of the virgin mobile version of my phone that has made this work. Perhaps with the coming upgrade to 2.2 I will find success.

Happy tethering,
Randy

Return to “General Archos Gen8: Archos 28, 32, 43, 70 and 101 Internet Tablets”