Playon (Hulu, Netflix, etc) now available for Android

General Gen8 Archos Tablet discussions
fyodor
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Playon (Hulu, Netflix, etc) now available for Android

Post by fyodor »

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/17/play ... u-for-all/

I haven't tried the Android version yet, but I've found it to be pretty good on the PS3.
cmhdiamond
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: Playon (Hulu, Netflix, etc) now available for Android

Post by cmhdiamond »

FTA: "The free app uses Adobe Flash..."

So until we get the optimized flash, it will likely be unwatchable on our Gen8 devices.
gte105u
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gte105u »

Anyone use this service? Why would you pay $40/year to watch services that you have to pay for? Is it just because it lumps them together? I know you cannot currently watch Netflix on Android (so it adds that), but you could already watch some of the others with Flash. Since this runs Flash as well, does that mean it won't work either, or that it will work despite Flash making it difficult freestanding? A lot more questions than answers from this.
A70 250GB|Acer A500|HTC Thunderbolt
Brad
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Brad »

I have used this for a while. I tried the Android version yesterday, just for a few minutes and it worked fine on my A70. It also streams to a number of other devices so that I can watch them on my television. For me it is a cheaper option than having to add a cable tv subscription on top of my internet fee and netflix subscription. Also, since I had purchased Playon a while ago, I was able to get in on the lifetime premium subscription for a one time fee of $40? instead of the yearly fee. So I like it. It probably isn't for everybody.
warlock257
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by warlock257 »

this app seems silly to me because you need to be connected to a computer for it to work (via wifi). Why not just watch it on your computer if you're at home. Why would I watch it on a smaller screen.
gte105u
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gte105u »

I was noticing that too. I would possibly get it if I could have the tablet be the computer and watch from there. But having to stream it through a computer... no thanks.
A70 250GB|Acer A500|HTC Thunderbolt
bluemeane
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by bluemeane »

What makes this sweet, is that you do not need to be on the SAME network....

You have a computer back at home running the service, and then you can sling it to anywhere in the world as long as you have internet connection...

I use it when I go down to southern oregon to visit my GF's family. They live in the country and have no cable and like 4 channels but have internet. So I pull this out and BAM! It is like having a PORTABLE CABLE BOX!

You hook it up to a tv and your in business as long as there is internet. And if i am somewhere that doesn't have internet, I have a 4G phone that I can use a a 15mbs hotspot!

Trust me, this is pretty sweet.
zillah
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by zillah »

You still have to have your PC running while your away in order to utilize this which seems silly. If I was going on vacation, I would not leave my computer on just in order to utilize this. Plus the $40 a year makes this a no go for me even if I wanted to try it. I wish they took those $40 and just ran their own severs so you could use it on 3G as well. Now THAT would be something. Hell, I would pay even more for that.
bluemeane
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by bluemeane »

zillah wrote:You still have to have your PC running while your away in order to utilize this which seems silly. If I was going on vacation, I would not leave my computer on just in order to utilize this. Plus the $40 a year makes this a no go for me even if I wanted to try it. I wish they took those $40 and just ran their own severs so you could use it on 3G as well. Now THAT would be something. Hell, I would pay even more for that.

You CAN use this on 3g, or in my case 4g...

I agree it would be sweet if they used their own servers, maybe in the future. But as it is, I feel it is pretty sweet. I just run it on a laptop that I can wake on lan via my Router. So it is off until I need to watch, and then I log into my router and wake my lappy, and away I go.
dlarkin_dc
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by dlarkin_dc »

bluemeane wrote:
zillah wrote:You still have to have your PC running while your away in order to utilize this which seems silly. If I was going on vacation, I would not leave my computer on just in order to utilize this. Plus the $40 a year makes this a no go for me even if I wanted to try it. I wish they took those $40 and just ran their own severs so you could use it on 3G as well. Now THAT would be something. Hell, I would pay even more for that.

I agree it would be sweet if they used their own servers, maybe in the future. But as it is, I feel it is pretty sweet. I just run it on a laptop that I can wake on lan via my Router. So it is off until I need to watch, and then I log into my router and wake my lappy, and away I go.
Hulu and Netflix, etc handle the servers, what PlayOn offers is customizable single poopint of access to all your services, and web video and media in you own library... now you can have all that any where you can get WiFi or decent cell phone service.

PlayOn 4 Android is a great solution for how I watch television and movies !
A70-IT 8Gb v6
zillah
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by zillah »

bluemeane wrote:

Really? I thought it was a Wi-fi only app. That sweetens the deal a bit but having to pay PLUS run my own server seems silly unless I REALLY need it.
dlarkin_dc wrote:
bluemeane wrote:

Hulu and Netflix, etc handle the servers, what PlayOn offers is customizable single poopint of access to all your services, and web video and media in you own library... now you can have all that any where you can get WiFi or decent cell phone service.

PlayOn 4 Android is a great solution for how I watch television and movies !
The problem with PlayOn is that you have to run your own server off your computer to utilize it. What I meant is that they can run their own servers so that you don't have to. All it is doing is bypassing the need for Silverlight in order to use Netflix or Hulu's crummy restrictions by streaming these on your own server. No reason why they couldn't do it themselves. (except for maybe legal or cost concerns)
smoger
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by smoger »

I've been using PlayOn since 2008 when it was in beta. Absolutely wonderful service and worth every penny.

For the record, for those of you who don't have the option of a flat fee.. it's only $40 for the first year, and $20 thereafter.

The $20 yearly is basically a service fee, as they are constantly adding new features(like this mobile support), new supported websites(i think Oprah was the latest one added), and updating in order to keep it working(we all know Hulu hates you watching their content on a television or phone OS)

Anyone complaining about needing your computer running.. you're the wrong demographic for this. Many many many of us leave our computers up almost all the time. Further, you can utilize wake on lan like someone else here mentioned.

I haven't had cable service in years and I don't miss it at all.
Union Man
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Union Man »

smoger wrote:I've been using PlayOn since 2008 when it was in beta. Absolutely wonderful service and worth every penny.

For the record, for those of you who don't have the option of a flat fee.. it's only $40 for the first year, and $20 thereafter.

The $20 yearly is basically a service fee, as they are constantly adding new features(like this mobile support), new supported websites(i think Oprah was the latest one added), and updating in order to keep it working(we all know Hulu hates you watching their content on a television or phone OS)

Anyone complaining about needing your computer running.. you're the wrong demographic for this. Many many many of us leave our computers up almost all the time. Further, you can utilize wake on lan like someone else here mentioned.

thanks smoger,
Can you tell us more about this service? Is it really like Cable TV? and, really just 40 a year?
I don't understand this service. Some are saying there's additional costs involved. Is that like Pay channels?
Short question, I can't afford Cable TV, would this be for me? I have DSL service, is that too slow?
Darklion
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Darklion »

Hello, everyone. To answer one of the questions posted about "what is the use", I guess we can ask the same thing about all the tablets out there. If our computers do everything our tablets can do, and more, why have a tablet? One reason is the portability and convenience. To use my desktop, I have to go into the basement, boot it up, wait five minutes, then eventually get to what I want. My Archos turns on in a few minutes, it is wherever I am, not the other way around.

I like the idea of sitting on the couch or out on the porch watching a Netflix movie. I can even watch a movie/TV show when I go to bed, using headphones, without disturbing my wife next to me.

Now, unfortunately, I can't get PlayOn to work, and I agree it's a little much to pay for the service if you can't use it outside of your own network. I tried it. It failed connecting to my Netflix account, and when I pulled up some shows on Hulu.com it kept crashing on my Archos 70 (8Gb). But I would have liked to play around with it for 2 weeks trial.

-- Robert Baker
smaz1087
Archos User
Archos User

Post by smaz1087 »

I was thinking about getting an ipad in the next few weeks when the prices drop b/c of netflix, hulu, and hockeystreams.com (they stream via IIS). I got playon for my 101 instead. There are a few bugs (have to FC and retry every once in a while) but for the most part it is flawless and looks good enough (not HD, but not blocky either). This is with flash from the market, so I imagine it will only get better when archos releases their version.
smoger
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by smoger »

Union Man wrote:
smoger wrote:I've been using PlayOn since 2008 when it was in beta. Absolutely wonderful service and worth every penny.

thanks smoger,
Can you tell us more about this service? Is it really like Cable TV? and, really just 40 a year?
I don't understand this service. Some are saying there's additional costs involved. Is that like Pay channels?
Short question, I can't afford Cable TV, would this be for me? I have DSL service, is that too slow?
The "additional costs" are just your $9 a month Netflix subscription.

You don't need Hulu+

Basically in a nutshell , the "point" is that it takes Netflix, Hulu, Youtube,CNN,Comedy Central,Amazon VOD,TBS,Oprah,etc,etc and puts their web video on your tv,mobile device, etc. There are also user created "channels" at playonscripts.com

And it absolutely DOES work off your network as long as you connect ONCE on your network so that it can figure out your ip address(and assuming you know how to setup your modem and router to allow port forwarding). I can watch everything even over my 3g connection on my phone, or on my tablet on ANY wifi network I happen to be on (or my PS3, my Xbox 360, original Xbox w/ xbmc, Wii, etc)
syounger64
Archos User
Archos User

Post by syounger64 »

Playon sounds great but can anyone confirm that Playon has captioning or subtitles options like Hulu does? I know Netflix doesn't do it with their on demand with little or no reasons why but Hulu does as I watch it on my computer a lot with captions. It would be a dealbreaker for me.
Union Man
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Union Man »

thanks, smoger.
I was hoping to get Live ESPN Baseball on it but guess not. It's all recorded web videos on those sites to your device.

Return to “General Archos Gen8: Archos 28, 32, 43, 70 and 101 Internet Tablets”