Why did you chose an Archos device?

General Gen8 Archos Tablet discussions
TinyJWR
Archos User
Archos User

Re: Why did you chose an Archos device?

Post by TinyJWR »

I picked the Archos 70 the same way I select all of my computers. Made a list of features that were important to me and then researched alternatives. Capacitive Touch Screen was the number one item on my list. Although I haven't received the tablet yet, I'm so sure I'll like it that I've already bought a lot of accessories.
35 characters isn't enuff for a sig
blurpasta
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by blurpasta »

I got the Archos because of the video codecs that they provide as i am a fan of watching movies on the go, the harddisk space as i have a lot of movies and lastly the pricing, as it is way cheaper than ipad.
Union Man
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Union Man »

How's that for a first post?
That was great. =D> ;)[/quote]

Thank you, sir!
I'm amazed at how much technology they packed into this thing, at that pricepoint. Believe me I know Cowons are nice, I'm still using my Iriver E10 for music.
I need to correct myself on my original post, I had an Ipaq using a Sandisk SD wifi card for internet access, not a Palm. I guess I can also use my PSP to access my e-mails but that was even slower than the Ipaq.
Oh, the Android operating system and apps was the other reason.
Now to find a way to get the 32 next.
Last edited by Union Man on Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glowcohen
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by glowcohen »

A number of reasons. I already had an A5 which I was impressed with. I think of Archos as being pioneers, especially for a small company, and wanted to help support them. Plus, I wanted the nice new larger capacitive screen device. I think for the price point it is cool, and so far it is working well for me.
A5IT | A101 | G9 80
defenderbob
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by defenderbob »

Price and no contract.
AllenPapapetrou
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by AllenPapapetrou »

Price/performance and support via FW updates/upgrades.

Allen
-An old geek 8)
5IT|A70S|A101
sequitur
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sequitur »

I bought my first Archos (gen 5 605 wifi) because it's feature set blew away all other PMPs. I bought the gen 6 because it blew away gen 5. I bought gen 7 because it was the first Android tablet which greatly expanded over gen 6, even though it had stability issues initially. I bought an A70 and A101 because they finally offered the screen sizes I wanted with newer hardware and software. The better question is why I keep buying Archos. Polished user experience, customer support with regular updates, price and performance. If there were something better I'd buy it but anything interesting costs way more and still seems to give up some of the benefits of an Archos, no matter what new thing it offers. I hope they keep making products I choose.
Vespernova7
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Vespernova7 »

after some thought I decided to get a PMP successor to my Ipaq 210. I wanted a 5' inch gen 8 after hearing about the specs it would have over the gen 7. but when it came out, I found out that I had a choice between the 43 and the 70. after some soul searching and looking at the 7HT and 5IT I decided to chance it with the 70. the results...

The size is good and very slim: If I was to empty my front jeans pocket I can put it in and only have one speaker picking out.
It's got power: 1 gig vs 625 mzh
It can play videos that my Ipaq and coreplayer struggles with
the price is very good: I was comparing it to a galaxy tab
the feature set was also a compelling reason to buy

So far I've be quite satisfied with it. 8)
macgyver40
Archos User
Archos User

Post by macgyver40 »

I got the A70 because it wasn't tied to itunes like my family is. I have over 400 movies comverted from dvd and wasn't going to covert again for an idevice. Price was a factor and I needed something now and couldn't wait for the tablet I really am impressed with by rim. So far this tablet has impressed me and I have lucked out with no major issues. The 7 home tab I had had issues and went back to the store but archos came out with a new ver 7 so things could be better with that one.
A70IT S firmware 2.3.81
fuschiahedgehog
Archos User
Archos User

Post by fuschiahedgehog »

I'm addicted to new gadgets. Been wanting a real tablet PC for quite a while now. I have an HP touchscreen tablet/notebook convertible, but it's just too big and heavy for a tablet. I have an Android phone (t-mobile MyTouch) and the OS seemed fun. I've had a few Archos items over the years and have generally been satisfied with them, and reviews for the A70 have generally been positive. Unfortunately everyone's been sold out of them almost as soon as they get them in stock, so when I got the restock notice from NewEgg a few weeks back, I ordered one ASAP.

So far I've been pleased with my purchase. Upgrading to the latest firmware was painless, as was the Android Market install. I bought a Rii/Promini BT keyboard and that paired up flawlessly with the A70 (and our cats love the laser pointer in the Rii - bonus!!!).

So far, I've mainly used it to read Kindle and other e-books, read email and FB without having to crack open the laptop, provide ambient 'music' for sleeping (thunderstorms, ocean waves, etc), bedside alarm clock (with weather updates!), and for web browsing, especially when reading from my real Kindle and I want to look something up online... web browsing on the kindle is dreadful. Or if I want to have two books open at once... it's a pain in the posterior to switch between books on the kindle, but with the A70 (or one of the kids' kindles) I can have two books 'open' side-by-side, or even the same book open to two different parts at once.

Battery life has been pretty decent. I've forgotten to hook it up to the charger at night a few times, and it's run for 10+ hours playing MP3s, with the screen and wifi connection on the whole time (all the while gathering weather, email, FB updates), and in the morning the battery was still around 50%.

I haven't tethered it to my phone yet, though I will get around to testing that soon. I don't really have a need to do so, since I'm at home most of the time, and if I am out and about I always have my android phone in my pocket if I need to do an emergency FB status update or Google search. :shock:

I haven't tried too many movies, videos or games yet, but so far I've been impressed. It locks up and needs a reboot once in a while, but hell, who doesn't? #-o I wasn't expecting an immersive full HD theater experience or a blazing fast supercomputer.

It's not perfect, but it's definitely a fun little toy. :)
A70IT-8GB(2.3.26); A43-16GB(2.1.08)
fl9-skippy
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by fl9-skippy »

size of hard drive A70/250(wifi not important i live in a remote area of ireland and have broadband on my pc but no wifi network), codecs - video playback quality is stunning ( no need for plugins) , previous archos ownership (605/160)
direct charge a big + (no dvr adapter required) , drag and drop functionality , screen size and clarity
and finally the ridiculously low price compared to epod (read backwards haha)
FSki
Archos User
Archos User

Post by FSki »

Have a AV560 PMP which has been very good, went for a A101 based on features and price, very pleased. Apple IPad is very slick but more expensive and you are restricted to using Apple systems. So far Archos has handled all the video formats I have, I gave a friend some TV programs I'd recorded as AVI's off my AV560 and by the time ITunes had converted them to play on the Ipad the quality was rubbish.
zalman
Archos User
Archos User

Post by zalman »

Video Playback Capabilities (disappointed in the 8 reference frame limit for HD high profile h.264 but it's still better than all the more expensive Tegra 2 tablets can do)
Price
zillah
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by zillah »

I wanted to try out the tablet form factor and see if I really "need" it. The price and my familiarity with Android made the 101 an easy decision after seeing it "work."
dazappa
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by dazappa »

I wanted to get a new MP3 player, but with today's technology I decided I wouldn't settle for anything that could not, at minimum, also play videos and browse the web -- and I didn't want to pay more than $150. A28 was the perfect choice for me. Granted, use a stylus or get a new keyboard for it ;)
tabuser
Archos User
Archos User

Post by tabuser »

A bought the Archos 70it because of Archos's promises of Bluetooth connectivity and cell phone tethering (nothing about only working on a limited number of phones etc), the expectation of 802.11 n WiFi speeds, and that Flash 10.1 player would be included with the update to Android 2.2 (Froyo) to be able to play Flash video content and Flash games on the web.

See Archos's declaration about receiving Flash 10.1 with the when updating to Android 2.2:

(http://www.archos.com/support/support_t ... gb&lang=en), click on "Why canÔÇÖt I view web sites that have FlashÔäó video or FlashÔäó games?" in the Internet FAQ section.

False advertising by Archos much!
BlckPudding
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by BlckPudding »

sequitur wrote:I bought my first Archos (gen 5 605 wifi) because it's feature set blew away all other PMPs. I bought the gen 6 because it blew away gen 5. I bought gen 7 because it was the first Android tablet which greatly expanded over gen 6, even though it had stability issues initially. I bought an A70 and A101 because they finally offered the screen sizes I wanted with newer hardware and software. The better question is why I keep buying Archos. Polished user experience, customer support with regular updates, price and performance. If there were something better I'd buy it but anything interesting costs way more and still seems to give up some of the benefits of an Archos, no matter what new thing it offers. I hope they keep making products I choose.

I am like minded for the most part, i am not so sure about the customer support, it is probaly better than other companies but that is not to say it would not benifit from some customer experinece classes.
Another reason is i like to have something a little different from everyojne else and as the "I" brand seems to have blinded most people i enjoy whipping out something that is as good but unknown to most and IMO better in certain respects.
AV400,A604,A605,A5IMT,A5IT,A101
jacobm
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by jacobm »

I wanted a successor to my Nokia N800. I wanted it to:
  • Fit in my pocket
    Not require a contract
    Have a large enough screen that ebooks, terminal, video are reasonable to watch
    Run an OS that was actively maintained and had app developers
    Allow a reasonable amount of hacking
    Not cost too much
Given that I wanted it to fit in my pocket, and yet have a big screen (i.e. the iPod touch was too small) there were actually very few options. It's surprising to me that so many companies are focusing on the 7" screen tablet size, and neglecting the 4-5" screen (pocketable) size. I considered the Archos 5, but wanted Android 2.2. I've had an Archos 43 for a couple of weeks, and I really like it.
sdho
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by sdho »

1. Price
2. 10.1" for usability (for my 101IT specifically)
3. outputs (usb/hdmi)
4. quick firmware support (Android 2.2.1)
5. reliable company
6. did i mention price already?
spagnitz
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by spagnitz »

archos has been around for a while, archos 70 had great specs for the price, also good reviews and had a great user community, this is my first archos device

Return to “General Archos Gen8: Archos 28, 32, 43, 70 and 101 Internet Tablets”