General Gen8 Archos Tablet discussions
jotha
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: Firmware 2.1.04 released - report bugs here

Post by jotha »

GeoD wrote:FW 2.1.03 states the following:

Wi-Fi: enable IEEE802.11n support

I have tried at least a half dozen times to connect to 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz Draft N networks and it (43IT) shows only 54mbps. :(
Has anyone been successful connecting to a "n" connection?

My 101 is definitely connected via "n", albeit it only reaches a connection speed of 65 mbit/s. This seems to be hardware-related. I read somewhere here a quote (allegedly from an archos representative) that confirmed that the connection of the tablet cannot be faster than around 65 to 70 mbit/s. The "n"-standard only is met in regard of frequency and protocol, not at all in regard of speed. Nevertheless it is an "n"-connection. My router shows it as "n" with 65 mbit/s (rather stable and undepending of the distance, of course in the usual range).
Of course there could be a hardware-difference to your 43...
m_writer
Archos User
Archos User

Re: Regarding Gallery corruption of files on MicroSD Card

Post by m_writer »

m_writer wrote:
m_writer wrote:Archos Firmware update 2.1.04 on A70SIT, board version "A70S-V6", boot version "4.03.000000".

Regarding corruption of files on MicroSD Card:

The problem in Gallery is still there. It appears that images that have been rotated are affected.

. . .
As I corrected in an earlier post, despite 2 programs showing this problem, it could either be system/driver level, or an error in the applications, which might be using commonly available code fragments.

I have also recently been using an eLocity A7 tablet which is also running Android 2.2. Looking at their version of "Gallery" I found that they had removed the "Menu" which contained the rotation functions. Thus, it appears that this is a common problem faced by all ports of Froyo. I feel that eLocity's solution of simply removing the dangerous functions, can be considered acceptable because it removes a clear danger or corrupting data files, and therefore results in a safe system. On the other hand, it removes a valuable capability of the program.

Other alternatives might be to take a previous version of "Gallery" (such as from Android 2.1) and see if it can be adapted to 2.2. It would be a bit less fancy, but it does a good job.

On the other hand, another approach might be to look at Android 2.3 and see if Gallery is working in the newer version. If so, then it might be feasible to back-port either the whole program, or maybe just some code patches that correct the problem(s).
bilallucky
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by bilallucky »

fixes force close happening on applications not handling properly Security Exception
pitflyer
Archos User
Archos User

Post by pitflyer »

My new issue with 2.1.0.4 firmware; about 1/4 of the time when my 101 wakes up from deep sleep wifi won't work -- it says 'Error' and won't connect to anything. I then do a reboot.. and still doesn't work. I then reboot again and finally it starts working.

Annoying and seems to only happen after deep sleep so while I'm near power I just put it on regular sleep when I can.
Union Man
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Union Man »

I updated my A28 via dl to device.
I've noticed the wifi appears weaker, I used to be able to connect to a signal with one dot.
Now it shows Out of Range. No files were deleted, so far so good.
Battery seems OK, I'm letting it discharge. Last night at 51, this morning at 45.
CrunchyDoodle
Archos User
Archos User

Post by CrunchyDoodle »

With my A43, I noticed that the warning about putting a finger or two over the lower right corner of the device is real. That's where the WiFi antenna is and if the signal is a bit weak, lifting my finger can mean connecting or not connecting. I'll assume the other phone-sized Archos tablets have the same antenna.

Bye. 8)
Union Man wrote:I updated my A28 via dl to device.
I've noticed the wifi appears weaker, I used to be able to connect to a signal with one dot.
Now it shows Out of Range. No files were deleted, so far so good.
Battery seems OK, I'm letting it discharge. Last night at 51, this morning at 45.
Union Man
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Union Man »

[quote="CrunchyDoodle"]With my A43, I noticed that the warning about putting a finger or two over the lower right corner of the device is real. That's where the WiFi antenna is and if the signal is a bit weak, lifting my finger can mean connecting or not connecting. I'll assume the other phone-sized Archos tablets have the same antenna.

Bye. 8)

Oh, I know to keep that area clear. I tested that low wifi signal again and it connected.
Guess it's hit or miss but I'm also seeing fewer networks than before. I'm positive the wifi works if the signal was stronger. I used it outdoors the other day at a public hotspot in a park and it loads up fine. Much faster than my old Ipaq.
For what I paid, it's a very cool item. I consider it a MP3/media player first and the wifi connectivity as a bonus. Forget using my PSP as an internet device, too slow for most sites.
If I could make reliable internet phone calls from my A28, that would be freakin amazing.
m_writer
Archos User
Archos User

Post by m_writer »

jotha wrote:
GeoD wrote:FW 2.1.03 states the following:

Wi-Fi: enable IEEE802.11n support

I have tried at least a half dozen times to connect to 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz Draft N networks and it (43IT) shows only 54mbps. :(
Has anyone been successful connecting to a "n" connection?

My 101 is definitely connected via "n", albeit it only reaches a connection speed of 65 mbit/s. This seems to be hardware-related. I read somewhere here a quote (allegedly from an archos representative) that confirmed that the connection of the tablet cannot be faster than around 65 to 70 mbit/s. The "n"-standard only is met in regard of frequency and protocol, not at all in regard of speed. Nevertheless it is an "n"-connection. My router shows it as "n" with 65 mbit/s (rather stable and undepending of the distance, of course in the usual range).
Of course there could be a hardware-difference to your 43...
If you want to check your connection information, you might be able to do it by logging onto your router's control account and there might be a report of current connections which might list the way the connection has been made.

I cannot say anything more certain than that because I would need to know your router, etc.

Also, if you set your security to WEP, then regardless of what your router tells you, you are not logging on under N. WEP is not supported at all under N. You must be logged on under G (or B).
Farsquidge
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Farsquidge »

Well, just had my first ever vanishing media files from my SD card. Two files deleted andd 3 others showing incorrect thumbnail views from other files.

Done everything as I should, unmounted when removed, safely removed from PC first when using USB connection.

I still can't say for certain that it is down to Archos firmware as I have added two new apps (Coolreader and Sleeptimer) and other apps such as ES File Explorer have had updates recently....

Ho Hum... ;)
605Wi, A5IMT, A5IT, A7o 8GB:2.4.82
vasgi
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by vasgi »

After latest update(2.1.4) on my A70 internet tablet, wifi worked a few times and then suddenly couldn't connect to any network. (no major changes took place just before problem occurred).
It scans and recognizes available networks,
asks for keys etc.,
but when it tries to connect it keeps disconnecting the moment it connects!
it goes scanning-connecting and instantly disconnecting.

Help please
Thank you
sweetypie
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sweetypie »

Download 2.1.04 onto your PC and reinstall via Recovery Menu.

Boot by switching on with VOL down button pressed down and held until into Recovery Menu.
AllenPapapetrou
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by AllenPapapetrou »

Farsquidge wrote:.
Well, just had my first ever vanishing media files from my SD card. Two files deleted andd 3 others showing incorrect thumbnail views from other files.

Done everything as I should, unmounted when removed, safely removed from PC first when using USB connection.

I still can't say for certain that it is down to Archos firmware as I have added two new apps (Coolreader and Sleeptimer) and other apps such as ES File Explorer have had updates recently....

Ho Hum... ;)
Curious!

When is the last time something like this happened in: MacOS, Linux, FreeBSD, or Windows?

Allen
-An old geek 8)
5IT|A70S|A101
fuzzer
Archos User
Archos User

Post by fuzzer »

I flashed to 2.1.08...will test connection with my hotspot tomorrow...maybe...just realized I'm only connecting to my home b/g/n router at 54Mbps(according to an app called Network Info II)...Just upgrade my firmware on the router (wndr3700)..

Is there a better app for determining connection speed?
dae365go
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by dae365go »

Hi,

I am on a Archos 32 with Firmware 1.0.8.4. I previously had two Archos Android devices, 32 and 70, that I updated the firmware and broke two favorite apps, Slingplayer and NBA Gametime. Both had to be open continuously until they would play and most the time would not open at all. Everything with my current firmware is working perfectly fine, but I would like to be able to run some of the newer apps and add the Flash capabilities. Does anyone know if Slingplayer and NBA Gametime still work under the new firmware?

Thanks!
vasgi
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by vasgi »

sweetypie wrote:Download 2.1.04 onto your PC and reinstall via Recovery Menu.

Boot by switching on with VOL down button pressed down and held until into Recovery Menu.
Thank you...worked for me
fuzzer
Archos User
Archos User

Post by fuzzer »

2.1.08 Fixed my hotspot problem...so I guess its a keeper until I get fed up with not have trailers in Movies app...

only connects @ 54Mbps....
VipFREAK
Archos User
Archos User

Post by VipFREAK »

Note to self: Next time... don't bother updating, unless you like yours not working right. Browsing the net on my home wifi gets slower each time you update...
Last edited by Harfainx on Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No Foul Language
ubergrog
Archos User
Archos User

Post by ubergrog »

WMTOANDROID wrote:
rchos_fan wrote:
WMTOANDROID wrote:The biggest problem is that when you reach a certain low-memory point, Gmail will no longer sync.
Wow, I had no idea. You happen to know when that threshold is reached?

I hope to never have that problem but I'm afraid I will.
Well at my current storage space of 265mb, the threshold is approximately 25mb, this means that I have 230mb of actual space before my device no longer syncs with the Google services . It's like having a modern computer and only being able to install 5gb worth of software :(
Yah, really depressing, especially since yesterday I noticed my A70IT stopped syncing & I couldn't figure out why 'til I found this thread. I've used APP2SD to move everthing I can & am now trimming out games & stuff :(. I'll read through the rest of this thread, but in short form, has there been any word from Archos for this yet? Do I understand correctly UrukDroid allows you to increase the available app space? Maybe I'll have to try rooting sooner than later :|.
--
GROG!
mplant1999
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by mplant1999 »

I guess we have to remember that the is a forum populated by (with two infrequent exceptions that I know of) archos users, not archos employees. We need to contact Archos directly to alert them to the error of their ways ( :lol: ) WRT system storage.
A43IT A5IT Transformer Playbook
jamie41
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by jamie41 »

ubergrog wrote: Do I understand correctly UrukDroid allows you to increase the available app space? Maybe I'll have to try rooting sooner than later :|.
Yes it does. I'm down to a paltry 662MB of storage space left (out of 1GB).

Return to “General Archos Gen8: Archos 28, 32, 43, 70 and 101 Internet Tablets”