Firmware 2.1.04 released - report bugs here

General Gen8 Archos Tablet discussions
scottmcp432
Archos User
Archos User

Re: Firmware 2.1.04 released - report bugs here

Post by scottmcp432 »

Hmm, here's a new one, the last 3 nights I powered down my 101 only to find it had never turned off. Instead it went into deep sleep(I presume) and woke instantaneously upon pressing the power button the following morning. Last night I was doubly sure to power down as always and got the "shutting down" prompt. Again this morning the device was in deep sleep mode when I pressed power. Finally, this morning, when I again tried to power down the 101 froze during shutdown and required a hard reset. I am curious to find out whether or not it actually shut down when I get off work.
A101,A5IMT,MBP,iPhone4,AsusG53JW
MarcusMarcus
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by MarcusMarcus »

scottmcp432 wrote:Hmm, here's a new one, the last 3 nights I powered down my 101 only to find it had never turned off. Instead it went into deep sleep(I presume) and woke instantaneously upon pressing the power button the following morning. Last night I was doubly sure to power down as always and got the "shutting down" prompt. Again this morning the device was in deep sleep mode when I pressed power. Finally, this morning, when I again tried to power down the 101 froze during shutdown and required a hard reset. I am curious to find out whether or not it actually shut down when I get off work.
Do you plug it into the power adapter after turning it off. I've noticed that my 70 turns on whenever I plug it in. I have to plug it in first and then turn it off.
Archos 70S
Samsung GalaxyS WiFi 5.0
scottmcp432
Archos User
Archos User

Post by scottmcp432 »

No, my battery was at 74% last night when I (attempted to) shut it down. This morning it was at 66% when it woke. I must admit I am curious why this would issue appeared now and not immediately after the last FW update. Of course I may have simply not noticed before 3 days ago. There is one other possibility, 8 or 9 days ago my daughter knocked my 101 off a table onto a ceramic tile floor. BUT as these devices are all solid state electronics I fail to see how that could be responsible.By the way I am running 2.1.04.
A101,A5IMT,MBP,iPhone4,AsusG53JW
smkyle
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by smkyle »

I have been disappointed with bluetooth tethering but I am extremely impressed with Archos for continuing to give this device updates. I don't like to name names but my wife has a Samsung Epic...

A+ to Archos
F to nonupdating manufacturers
butterflygirl
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by butterflygirl »

sweetypie wrote:
butterflygirl wrote: Can you do it this way if you have reformatted to ext3? I'm mainly just wondering if you can install 2.0.71 where you have reformatted to ext3 and keep the ext3 formatting? 2.1.02 is working fine for me so far, but I don't really want to try to reinstall the previous firmware just to satisfy my curiosity :)
I don't see why not. Try it and let us know. You can't hurt anything. Your /storage area is on a separate partition from where the FW is installed.

But think about it. The "native" format of Linux is "EXT". Formerly EXT2, nowadays EXT3, and EXT4 is creeping in too. Remember the fuss on the A5IT about connecting to a PC, and having to install an EXT driver on the PC to read the native EXT3 file system on the Archos? Because of all that fuss we made, Archos gave us the (additional) option of formatting our /storage area in FAT32, so that we didn't have to install an EXT driver on our PCs.

It seems that Archos decided, on the basis of its experience with the A5IT, to make the default format type on the Gen 8 mass storage area FAT32 instead of EXT3. It then acknowledged that some people would want the larger file option, so, in FW release 2.1.02/3/4 they added "Storage: enable EXT3 filesystem support and migration". All they did was what they should have done in the beginning, i.e. give us both options.

So the Archos' underlying operating system, Linux, should have no difficulty reading whatever format method you choose for your mass storage area. All that will happen, as I see it, is that if you do go back to FW 2.0.71, you will lose the option to reformat the storage area in EXT3. If you choose the Format option, it will format it in FAT.

The literal "Format" option in Linux is nothing to do with this kind of hard disk formatting. This command formats text in Linux.

To "Format" a drive in Linux you use the mkfs command (read it as "make filesystem"). Just as in DOS days, you first need to make a "partition" using the (ancient) fdisk command, then "format" that partition by using the mkfs command.

E.g. mkfs.ext3 will "format" a partition using EXT3 - mkfs.vfat will "format" a partition using FAT, and so on.

So these are probably the Linux commands underlying our Archos "Format" options in FW 2.1.02/3/4.

The "System" partition, where the FW is installed, will still be formatted in the native Linux EXT3 filesystem.

You might find this interesting:
http://linux.about.com/od/commands/l/blcmdl8_mkfs.htm
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-disk-format/

Of course I might be completely wrong. But it's fun theorising.

:D
Cool!! Thanks for the the info!!
sweetypie
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sweetypie »

@butterflygirl

One further IMPORTANT thing I've learned since posting this message is included in this thread http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.p ... 32#p326632

You may want to check out the dialogue between wdl1908 and me.
bilallucky
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by bilallucky »

I never had wifi or battery issues like some people appear to have my battery easily last two days with heavy usage, my wifi connects in two or three seconds after awakening from deep sleep mode.
fbott
Archos User
Archos User

Post by fbott »

bilallucky wrote:I never had wifi or battery issues like some people appear to have my battery easily last two days with heavy usage, my wifi connects in two or three seconds after awakening from deep sleep mode.
Same here. The only problem I have experienced is flash video taking down the browser, but since I am not using an Archos approved flash I don't think it is something to really complain about.
steveb625
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by steveb625 »

Not sure if this is 2.1.04 related or not. Dolphin MINI and HD will FC when they lock up for whatever reason. On MINI last night I had too many tabs on at one time when a warning came on the screen that I did not have time to read. A few seconds later MINI shut down and it took 15-20 seconds for Zeam to recover. This morning I watched a local newscast live feed (Flash) for about 20 minutes. No problems. Shut it down and then went to the Dolphin TV link in bookmarks just to see if it would work. One video played through then locked up. Result - FC and Zeam took 15-20 seconds to recover. This could be a memory problem in the Dolphin code so I am hesitant to blame the A70 firmware.

HDMI still works but I find it essentially useless as there are no video features I would personally use it for. Can't stream anything worthwhile yet. Any DVDs will just go in the DVD player so there is no point to rip them other than for device viewing. The cutting edge technology is ahead of the content being offered. I don't believe it is a reflection on the device. I remember when i got my 1st computer, an 8088 with 2 5 1/4 floppy drives and no hard drive. It was pretty useless until I got Word Perfect, a 1200 baud modem, and a Prodigy account. Talk about SLOW. Then I really upgraded and got a 40 meg HD ($250) and an EGA video card to replace the RGB card...

I am amazed that this little piece of glass and plastic actually works as well as it does (most of the time).
SteveB
A9 Win7HP
A32 A70-8v6 UD1.6
Union Man
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Union Man »

I tried updating my firmware via public hotspot, it got stuck at 79 percent.
I'll try it again at a warmer place. My A28 shows firmware ver. 1.0.90.
I checked the archos site and there's no 1.0.90 firmware, I just bought this at J&R. (usa)
Sidenote, wifi was much faster than my Ipaq and now I know I would like a bigger screen if I want to use it as any type of browser or reader. But to keep me connected, it's a nice device.
Last edited by Union Man on Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AllenPapapetrou
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by AllenPapapetrou »

Others have reported having 1.0.90 on their delivered Gen8s and 1.0.90 never was an announced update.

Allen
-An old geek 8)
5IT|A70S|A101
HDH1998
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by HDH1998 »

steveb625 wrote:Not sure if this is 2.1.04 related or not. Dolphin MINI and HD will FC when they lock up for whatever reason. On MINI last night I had too many tabs on at one time when a warning came on the screen that I did not have time to read. A few seconds later MINI shut down and it took 15-20 seconds for Zeam to recover. This morning I watched a local newscast live feed (Flash) for about 20 minutes. No problems. Shut it down and then went to the Dolphin TV link in bookmarks just to see if it would work. One video played through then locked up. Result - FC and Zeam took 15-20 seconds to recover. This could be a memory problem in the Dolphin code so I am hesitant to blame the A70 firmware.
I have the exact same issue using both apps. I have never liked the stock browser Android deploys and the stock Launcher is still has too much lag to be a viable option. I can't really blame the tablet for issues with third party apps but I wouldn't be using them if all was good with the stock ones. Glass half full.
KB3MMX
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by KB3MMX »

Browser seems to be having alot of trouble keeping my login info now on forums, requiring repeated logins.
thorium232
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by thorium232 »

Hi Guys,

Apologies if this comes across as a dumb noobie question (or even in the wrong thread), but having only 3 days ago got my A70IT it was delivered with 2.0.54 on it, and I was immediately offered 2.1.04 as the upgrade. But I was wary of doing that without further thought on first switch-on, and, having read extensively that it could introduce some undesirable new problems, I thought I'd go for 2.1.03 when I upgrade.

Am I right in thinking that by using the various threads for each firmware release here (excellently organised, thank you!) the files I get through the link to Archos in the first post of each thread are indeed links to those earlier releases?

I've followed the idea to download each release into its own sub-folders on a PC and not to install direct through the device itself, and I'm pretty sure that each of the files I have collected is different.

But I just wanted to be sure I'm not wasting my time entirely -- or yours by asking the question! The search engine on phpBB can't cope with search strings (even quoted ones) of digits and periods, as in "2.1.04". (I think there's an alternative search engine for phpBB3 which does a bit better on this front, but it doesn't necessarily scale well for a forum as large as this.)
mplant1999
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by mplant1999 »

If you're leary of 2.1.04, I'd go for 2.0.71 as 2.1.02-2.1.04 were released within a week of each other and all have much the same suite of (randomly experienced) issues. For myself, after reverting to 2.0.71 at least three times I now have 2.1.04 running well on my Archos 43IT.

Your mileage will absolutely vary...
A43IT A5IT Transformer Playbook
rchos_fan
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by rchos_fan »

thorium232 wrote:Am I right in thinking that by using the various threads for each firmware release here (excellently organised, thank you!) the files I get through the link to Archos in the first post of each thread are indeed links to those earlier releases?
Yes.

And welcome!

All the best!
thorium232
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by thorium232 »

mplant1999 wrote:If you're leary of 2.1.04, I'd go for 2.0.71 as 2.1.02-2.1.04 were released within a week of each other and all have much the same suite of (randomly experienced) issues. For myself, after reverting to 2.0.71 at least three times I now have 2.1.04 running well on my Archos 43IT.

Your mileage will absolutely vary...
Thanks for the suggestions. I realise that it's a "suck it and see" existence. I don't mind how many firmwares I try, as long as I can reflash with a downgrade if one of them is too much of a turkey on my device!

I appreciate that to love my Archos means to have a pioneering spirit -- nothing is certain, all of it an adventure, and some of it might be fun!
thorium232
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by thorium232 »

rchos_fan wrote:And welcome!

All the best!
Thanks for the welcome to seriously good forums here!
GeoD
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by GeoD »

FW 2.1.03 states the following:

Wi-Fi: enable IEEE802.11n support

I have tried at least a half dozen times to connect to 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz Draft N network and it (43IT) shows only 54mbps. :(
Has anyone been successful connecting to a "n" connection?
Last edited by GeoD on Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johannlo
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by johannlo »

cannot connect (or even see) ad hoc wireless networks
3rd party apps can see them but not connect.
think this is an android issue not archos but for a non 3g device it would be SUPER HANDY to support ad hoc.
e.g. my work nokia phone can run joikuspot wireless hotspot software, but it creates adhoc network, no dice.

Return to “General Archos Gen8: Archos 28, 32, 43, 70 and 101 Internet Tablets”