Worth an Android Reset to get 64MB swap?

General Gen8 Archos Tablet discussions
'Savoir Faire'
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Worth an Android Reset to get 64MB swap?

Post by 'Savoir Faire' »

Just wondering if it is.
The upgrade thread has many other issues, but doesn't quantify this issue.
Which is the best way to go from 32mb to 64mb swapp? :?:

Mod Edit:
I changed the Title of this topic from "reformat" to "Android Reset". Read on and you'll see why the change.

I posted this later in the this topic but include it here so that folks will be more likely to see it if they come in new to this topic.
MarcusMarcus wrote:
wurstbrot wrote:I also got just 32 mb swap after the reset, seems not working.

Did you just reset your device. I think it said you have to reformat it to get the 64MB swap. Try reformating the device from the recovery menu and reinstalling the firmware. (This will delete everything on your internal storage though)

Please don't "think". Instead "read" Firmware Changes:
Memory: enable 32MB swap by default and increase it to 64MB after Android reset or full device reformat

And from the User Manual section "5.12 Repair and formatting" in Settings:
Reset Android: Deletes the device settings and the installed applications. It does not touch your personal files (video, music, photo).

Allen
viking

Re: Worth a reformat to get 64MB swap?

Post by viking »

'Savoir Faire' wrote:Just wondering if it is.
The upgrade thread has many other issues, but doesn't quantify this issue.
Which is the best way to go from 32mb to 64mb swapp? :?:
nz at first first said you could do it by settings/repair/android reset which is less drastic than a reformat and leaves your data alone. It still wrecks a bunch of stuff, but maybe appmonster can take care of the apps. Then some people can discard their older versions of google market and upgrade to v5-final.
a101g9 a70g8 an10g2 sg42 sg5 voy115
RAHIEM69D
Archos User
Archos User

Post by RAHIEM69D »

can someone please explain in the simplest wording possible what exactly does the swap do???? I hate to sound dumb, but does it give us more ram space, thus making the system run better? Can someone please explain this to me and others on this forum?
frank
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by frank »

RAHIEM69D wrote:can someone please explain in the simplest wording possible what exactly does the swap do???? I hate to sound dumb, but does it give us more ram space, thus making the system run better? Can someone please explain this to me and others on this forum?
http://searchwinit.techtarget.com/definition/swap-file

Code: Select all

A swap file (or swap space or, in Windows NT, a pagefile) is a space on a hard disk used as the virtual memory extension of a computer's real memory (RAM). Having a swap file allows your computer's operating system to pretend that you have more RAM than you actually do. The least recently used files in RAM can be "swapped out" to your hard disk until they are needed later so that new files can be "swapped in" to RAM. In larger operating systems (such as IBM's OS/390), the units that are moved are called pages and the swapping is called paging.
One advantage of a swap file is that it can be organized as a single contiguous space so that fewer I/O operations are required to read or write a complete file.

In general, Windows and UNIX-based operating systems provide a default swap file of a certain size that the user or a system administrator can usually change.
A70 8gb Urukdroid 1.6
Nexus 7
RAHIEM69D
Archos User
Archos User

Post by RAHIEM69D »

Thank you Frank! So basically this will help prevent archos from slowing down when running certain apps, or more than one app like dolphin HD browser and say, the music player at the same time correct?
Antitoon
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Antitoon »

Not exactly. When you run out of memory, Android will kill some background applications in order to free up some RAM. Therefore, unlike on a computer, having little RAM should NOT slow down the device nor make it unstable, but will prevent you from having many applications running. If you are browsing with Dolphin, then start a game, then try going back to Dolphin and find that it has been closed, this is beacause you have little RAM. A swap file should help with this problem, you can fill up your RAM a bit more than wihout the swap file before Android starts killing your background tasks. AFAIK, there is a chance that your device even gets slightly slower, actually.
viking

Post by viking »

This feature gave me the courage to try the huge wopping memory hog "google earth" app. Zounds, it seems to run even faster than my laptop version (except when limited by wifi)
butterflygirl
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by butterflygirl »

dumb question :oops: : How do you find the information on your swap file? I did a full reinitialization before installing the firmware. I then reformatted to ext.
yumms
Archos User
Archos User

Post by yumms »

butterflygirl wrote:dumb question :oops: : How do you find the information on your swap file? I did a full reinitialization before installing the firmware. I then reformatted to ext.
Type free in Terminal Emulator.
bob24usa
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by bob24usa »

I reformatted but checked and it is 32, how to get to 64?

Thanks
yumms
Archos User
Archos User

Post by yumms »

I just did the Android Reset and it automitically set up the 64mb swap.
bob24usa
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by bob24usa »

Reset Android will delete all app's, yes? If true, I wish I knew this when I updated and reformatted, before I went back and reloaded everything.
Thanks for your response.
bsoplinger
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by bsoplinger »

viking wrote: but maybe appmonster can take care of the apps. Then some people can discard their older versions of google market and upgrade to v5-final.
Appmonster does make reinstalling much easier. The current version crashes with the latest firmware. Just a warning in case anyone missed that in the general FW thread.
viking

Post by viking »

Yeah, I think allen proposed ES File Explore instead, but I will wait for confirmation that works and the reset works. Some reports say they can't get the 64mb anyway, and maybe 32 is enough for me.
AllenPapapetrou
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by AllenPapapetrou »

From a post of mine in the 2.1.02 bugs topic:
MarcusMarcus wrote:
wurstbrot wrote:I also got just 32 mb swap after the reset, seems not working.
Did you just reset your device. I think it said you have to reformat it to get the 64MB swap. Try reformating the device from the recovery menu and reinstalling the firmware. (This will delete everything on your internal storage though)
Please don't "think". Instead "read" Firmware Changes:
Memory: enable 32MB swap by default and increase it to 64MB after Android reset or full device reformat
And from the User Manual section "5.12 Repair and formatting" in Settings:
Reset Android: Deletes the device settings and the installed applications. It does not touch your personal files (video, music, photo).
Allen
-An old geek 8)
5IT|A70S|A101
AllenPapapetrou
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by AllenPapapetrou »

bsoplinger wrote:
viking wrote: but maybe appmonster can take care of the apps. Then some people can discard their older versions of google market and upgrade to v5-final.
Appmonster does make reinstalling much easier. The current version crashes with the latest firmware. Just a warning in case anyone missed that in the general FW thread.
viking wrote:Yeah, I think allen proposed ES File Explore instead, but I will wait for confirmation that works and the reset works. Some reports say they can't get the 64mb anyway, and maybe 32 is enough for me.
ES File Explorer's App Manager does backup the APK files.

Allen
-An old geek 8)
5IT|A70S|A101
sweetypie
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: Worth an Android Reset to get 64MB swap?

Post by sweetypie »

Confusing, I know, but there is another app which does backups to apk files, and I've been using it for the past year. It still works the way it always did, nice and easy.

Confusing because it's changed its name in the past week or so.

It used to be called "Android Manager Free", and it contained, via a tab in the app, "Appmanager", which did the backups. Also, "Appmanager" was available from the same company as an app on its own.

Now the "Appmanager" part is called "Appmanager Pro", and the full app is now called "Gphone Manager". Sheesh!

So, if you want just the backup part, go for "Appmanager Pro", or if you want the full app, go for "Gphone Manager". They're both free, don't need root, and are available in the Google Market.

Either way, since they're both free, why not give it / them a try?

I've used (what is now called Gphone Manager) for the past 12 months on my A5IT, and it hasn't missed a beat. For me, invaluable.
Gregro
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Gregro »

Sorry- another newb question... Where do you look to see if your A70 has 32 or 64mb alloted to swap? Thanks.
jkane13
Archos User
Archos User

Post by jkane13 »

I use AppBackupReinstall. It saves the apk files, but does to the internal SD card which means the reset would delete them. I plan to set USB mode and make a copy of everything in /sdcard to an external disk mounted on my linux computer. Do a reset, and copy everything back. Run AppBackupReinstall and have it reinstall all the apps.

Does that sound like it would work?

I wonder about things like notes in NoteEverything. I am concerned they may get erased. I am sure there are other apps that also might lose data even thouigh the app itself restores.
rchos_fan
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by rchos_fan »

jkane13 wrote:Does that sound like it would work?

I wonder about things like notes in NoteEverything. I am concerned they may get erased. I am sure there are other apps that also might lose data even thouigh the app itself restores.
Yes.

You will lose data in your notes programs (for that matter levels in Angry Birds, high scores in games, etc.). If you have anything SUPER important in your notes best to make a written record of it. Kind of counter-intuitive, but safest.

All the best!

Return to “General Archos Gen8: Archos 28, 32, 43, 70 and 101 Internet Tablets”