How to hide menu buttons and run apps/games in fullscreen!

General Gen8 Archos Tablet discussions
tdude51
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

How to hide menu buttons and run apps/games in fullscreen!

Post by tdude51 »

Thanks to constant7010 on xda-developers, we now have a way to hide menu buttons on applications and games! You'll need to be able to install it from an .apk for this fix to work, however. I also found a quicker way of editing the file using a program called APK Edit. The solution involves editing the AndroidManifest.xml file found in the .apk. Once again, credit to constant for finding the solution. I'll post my tutorial here. Here's a link to the thread on xda-developers where we got things up and running:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=914502

Important note: Make sure that whatever app or game you want to run in fullscreen has an option to exit from the application and doesn't rely on Android's back button. Otherwise you'll need to shut down the tablet using the power button because you won't be able to exit!

Here's the link to APK Edit:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=890199

EDIT: Here's another link in case you're not registered on xda-developers (I really recommend you do sign up there and check out their community though!)
http://www.mediafire.com/?lej5721x40ju20x

Instructions:
1) Download the .zip, extract APK Edit.exe and run it.
2) Immediately when you run APK Edit, an Open window will come up. Select the .apk you want to edit. The .apk should open in the program.
3) Click on the content tab. Towards the bottom there will be a heading called "Other content." Scroll down the box and right click on AndroidManifest.xml and open it with your favorite text editor.
4) Add the following line to the list of uses-permission entries:

Code: Select all

<uses-permission android:name="archos.permission.FULLSCREEN.FULL" />
5) Save the xml file after editing. Click "Apply" in APK Edit and the changes will be saved in the apk file. A backup will also be saved in case something was edited incorrectly. Click OK to close the confirmation window and close the program.

That's all there is too it. I didn't need to resign the apk or anything. I just dragged it back onto my Archos 70, uninstalled Assassin's Creed and reinstalled it from the new .apk. It kept the game data and the game ran in fullscreen with no menu buttons. It was nice not having the game controls obstructed.
Last edited by tdude51 on Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AllenPapapetrou
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: How to hide menu buttons and run apps/games in fullscree

Post by AllenPapapetrou »

Aloha tdude51,

Welcome to our forum :)

Great first post, thanks for sharing this info with us =D> :D =D>

Allen
-An old geek 8)
5IT|A70S|A101
ViPaSoft
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by ViPaSoft »

Hi tdude51.

I've followed your instructions and found it very easy to do.

My question is, where are the new apks stored/located. I can find the original apk that is renamed to *.backup but cannot find the edited *.apk file.

I'm using Windows 7 and the latest Java.exe, just downloaded from SUN website.

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Archos Elements Titanium 97HD
zillah
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by zillah »

Seems like a whole lot of work in order to get full screen mode for one specific game but it is nice to finally have the option. So, thanks! I might convert all of my Hexage games to full screen because right now the button overlay is so intrusive and they look so pretty on the 101 right now.

Really, really hope that Archos is able to implement a hide menu button feature in the future though.
Nasedo
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Nasedo »

zillah wrote:Really, really hope that Archos is able to implement a hide menu button feature in the future though.
I believe, they (Archos) could change assignment for power button. Now, we have opportunity to use it as screen-shot button, another option could be to use power button to show / hide menu buttons.
AllenPapapetrou
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Nasedo wrote:
zillah wrote:Really, really hope that Archos is able to implement a hide menu button feature in the future though.
I believe, they (Archos) could change assignment for power button. Now, we have opportunity to use it as screen-shot button, another option could be to use power button to show / hide menu buttons.
Aloha Nasedo,

Welcome to our forum :)

Oh no!!! Watch it. I want the ability to take screenshots of any screen. So if Archos does it with the Power button then I want it as an option in the long hold Power button - Device options menu.

Allen
-An old geek 8)
5IT|A70S|A101
Nasedo
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Nasedo »

Thanks Allen,

I fully understand your concern, but I imagine that as an opportunity, and ability to switch it on and off, as we doing currently with the screen-shot.
We do have only three buttons, power and vol +, vol - nothing more. Maybe my idea is not brilliant, and maybe the better solution will come in nearest future...
Anyway - editing apps is not so complicated and I believe many of users are able to do this by themselves.
tdude51
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by tdude51 »

ViPaSoft wrote:Hi tdude51.

My question is, where are the new apks stored/located. I can find the original apk that is renamed to *.backup but cannot find the edited *.apk file.

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.
If you're using APK Edit, it will overwrite the .apk that you selected when you started the program. So the new .apk will have the same name as the one you inputted, and the one you inputted will be .backup.
AllenPapapetrou
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Nasedo wrote:Thanks Allen,

I fully understand your concern, but I imagine that as an opportunity, and ability to switch it on and off, as we doing currently with the screen-shot.
We do have only three buttons, power and vol +, vol - nothing more. Maybe my idea is not brilliant, and maybe the better solution will come in nearest future...
Anyway - editing apps is not so complicated and I believe many of users are able to do this by themselves.
On the 5IT Archos gave us fullscreen on/off exactly the way I suggest for the Gen8s: Menu option after long press of Power button.

Don't mess with short press!!!

Allen
-An old geek 8)
5IT|A70S|A101
Nasedo
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Nasedo »

I meant long press for both options:
- Screenshot on/off
- Fullscreen on/off
AllenPapapetrou
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Nasedo wrote:I meant long press for both options:
- Screenshot on/off
- Fullscreen on/off
Do you mean: long press>Screenshot on menu option, enables short press Screenshot?

If so, I like it :)

Thanks,

Allen
-An old geek 8)
5IT|A70S|A101
ViPaSoft
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by ViPaSoft »

tdude51 wrote:
ViPaSoft wrote:Hi tdude51.

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.
If you're using APK Edit, it will overwrite the .apk that you selected when you started the program. So the new .apk will have the same name as the one you inputted, and the one you inputted will be .backup.
Thanks for the reply tdude51.

What I do is,

a, Copy the .apk file from my Archos to my PC
b, Follow your instructions
c, end up with the original file renamed to .backup with no .apk file anywhere on my PC.

What am I doing wrong.
Archos Elements Titanium 97HD
zandoli
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by zandoli »

For those who are already rooted...

Follow tdude51's instructions
-install this Button Savior (Root) from the Market.

Clicking on Home button should work to exit fullscreen apps after installing this app.
8+32GB A101S-V5(T1) OMAP4460 ES1.1
BrockAtkinson
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by BrockAtkinson »

Can comfirm this works beautifully with Dungeon Defenders. Just played for about a half hour. Thanks for this, the game is now awesome :)

Except I ran into one problem: I accidentally hit the power button to make the screen sleep, and now nothing appears. I can't press the home screen to get back Home. Oh well.

Edit: I found a way to fix it. Just press and hold the power button, put it into silent mode, then do the same thing to turn off silent. The game came straight back on.
markayak
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by markayak »

couldn't they just make it a "drawer" like the notification bar at the top of the screen? only instead of taking up the whole edge, just a little handle in the bottom right corner that you could grab and drag out if you want the buttons?
aznmode
Archos User
Archos User

Post by aznmode »

With Button Savior it seems it we dont really need those buttons anymore
aznmode
Archos User
Archos User

Post by aznmode »

In the system> board_configurations are virtual keyboard files. The bottom being the a70. Is there a way to edit it?
butman
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by butman »

the great problem with Button Savior is that he doesn't have the Setting button from the Archos home buttons row, so you can't enter the apps settings
fuzzer
Archos User
Archos User

Post by fuzzer »

It dose...it is the 4 squares in the default theme, but it doesn't work all the time...It worked for me the first time around, but since reverting back to 2.0.71, only the home button works...
lechuckthepirate
Archos User
Archos User

Post by lechuckthepirate »

STICKY PLZ!!!

Return to “General Archos Gen8: Archos 28, 32, 43, 70 and 101 Internet Tablets”