web radio, internet radio, no luck

General Gen8 Archos Tablet discussions
gondel
Archos User
Archos User

web radio, internet radio, no luck

Post by gondel »

Yesterday, I got an archos 28 to replace the 100 year old laptop I had used, to listen to internet radio in the kitchen.
I updated the firmware, registered the device and installed the "Plug-ins - Free Pack (Registered + Podcast)".

I visited several radio station sites and could not see how to play a stream, regardless whether it was in mp3, windows media or ogg format. A nice example is deutschland funk (dradio.de) which offers four formats. None worked.

What am I doing wrong ?
I installed a radio app, and it works for the stations it knows about, but I am not really happy. I want to be able to find a URL for a stream and listen, without hoping someone has entered it in a database. Much of what I listen to is in German.

The archos tablets are sold mostly with the words internet and media in their description.
I must be doing something wrong, but I can't see what.
Is this device, as delivered, really incapable of playing network streams ?
butterflygirl
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: web radio, internet radio, no luck

Post by butterflygirl »

gondel wrote:Yesterday, I got an archos 28 to replace the 100 year old laptop I had used, to listen to internet radio in the kitchen.
I updated the firmware, registered the device and installed the "Plug-ins - Free Pack (Registered + Podcast)".

I visited several radio station sites and could not see how to play a stream, regardless whether it was in mp3, windows media or ogg format. A nice example is deutschland funk (dradio.de) which offers four formats. None worked.

What am I doing wrong ?
I installed a radio app, and it works for the stations it knows about, but I am not really happy. I want to be able to find a URL for a stream and listen, without hoping someone has entered it in a database. Much of what I listen to is in German.

The archos tablets are sold mostly with the words internet and media in their description.
I must be doing something wrong, but I can't see what.
Is this device, as delivered, really incapable of playing network streams ?
They used to have a web radio plugin through Gen 7, but seem to have discontinued it with Gen 8. This isn't really the same as your issue and I haven't tried web radio streams, but I'm bummed about it. On their website, it looks like they are planning to release a web radio/tv player. http://www.archos.com/products/arnova/a ... us&lang=en
tabuser
Archos User
Archos User

Post by tabuser »

Try Tunein Radio. It's a free app in the Appslib store.
Farsquidge
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Farsquidge »

tabuser wrote:Try Tunein Radio. It's a free app in the Appslib store.
Yes you have to try this, it's as good as the old Archos online radio player and has better user interface.

Remember, if you are outside of the country you wish to listen to, they sometimes wont let you listen to certain programs such as live sports as the media rights have been sold to another company. ;)
605Wi, A5IMT, A5IT, A7o 8GB:2.4.82
viking

Post by viking »

Try tunein app - It hundreds of german stations which you can seek by country or city or genre. xiialive lite will also reach a lot, but doesn't have geographical search so you have to search for german or something. Try typing in a german artist name into pandora or deezer.

To suggest archos has less than excellant internet radio seems way off - I would characterize it more like revolutionary. I have been chatting in the gen8 apps setion about the cool ways you can control these by widgets etc and am about to post some related issues.
a101g9 a70g8 an10g2 sg42 sg5 voy115
butterflygirl
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by butterflygirl »

Listening to Tunein Radio now! Thanks so much!!!
Farsquidge
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Farsquidge »

butterflygirl wrote:Listening to Tunein Radio now! Thanks so much!!!
Hey, this one one of the FIRST things I searched for being a long-term expat, I need my UK radio. I am just anxiously waiting for the new firmware update that nz has assured me will have working PPTP VPN so I can use my WatchUKTV VPN to get BBC iPlayer.

Can't wait..... :D
bhmm
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by bhmm »

If you guys like Tunein Radio...you will probably like Radio Rip. It's a web radio DVR which can record up to four channels simultaneuousely.. It does have a scheduler.
You have to add your own channels either or import them via opml. On iphone I was used to a few web radio recording and could not find an equivalent decent Android one which allowed me to add my own channels for recording. All the one I found which allowed recording were using presets chanels from their Database.
Then I found Radio Rip which allow you to record not one but fours and even schedule the recordings.
The only thing is you won't find it on Archos Device since it's a protected app. I have to use another android phone, root it, buy the paid version and then back it up on my computer with Titanium (Titanium). So now I have a paid copy backed up.
I used Z4Root to root the tmobile Comet (the cheapest android phone) and buy the app.
sweetypie
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sweetypie »

Thanks to all for the Tunein link. It just gets better and better.

=D>
Ambrowill
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Ambrowill »

tabuser wrote:Try Tunein Radio. It's a free app in the Appslib store.
I have not been able to get appslib to work since froyo upgrade but it is available on Market ( I used appBrain AppMonster) in my search.
gooner
Archos User
Archos User

Post by gooner »

Thanks for the tip, now I can finally listen to Swedish radio (since the swedish radio official app do not work due to rtsp problems)!!
stew007
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by stew007 »

Do any of you have a sort of scratchy background noise when using tunein radio? it stays the same volume no matter how loud you turn the volume up.
Farsquidge
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Farsquidge »

stew007 wrote:Do any of you have a sort of scratchy background noise when using tunein radio? it stays the same volume no matter how loud you turn the volume up.
This sounds like you have a very slow internet connection that prevents good audio.

Are you using a free access point in a cafe or hotel by any chance?

The software will reduce quality to keep feed speed as best it can. ;)
gondel
Archos User
Archos User

Post by gondel »

viking wrote: To suggest archos has less than excellant internet radio seems way off - I would characterize it more like revolutionary. I have been chatting in the gen8 apps setion about the cool ways you can control these by widgets etc and am about to post some related issues.
I think I still don't follow. I can listen to many stations by installing an app.
The bare device, however, does not even play an mp3 stream from the browser.
In what way is this "revolutionary" ?
stew007
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by stew007 »

Farsquidge wrote:
stew007 wrote:Do any of you have a sort of scratchy background noise when using tunein radio? it stays the same volume no matter how loud you turn the volume up.
This sounds like you have a very slow internet connection that prevents good audio.

Are you using a free access point in a cafe or hotel by any chance?

The software will reduce quality to keep feed speed as best it can. ;)

No, its not the connection, even when you turn the volume right down to 0, you can still hear a crackeling noise at the same level, however this noise is not present when listening to mp3 etc. only from audio streamed from the web, I dont know whats going on, its very irriatating.

Return to “General Archos Gen8: Archos 28, 32, 43, 70 and 101 Internet Tablets”