Archos Gen 8 Rooted.

General Gen8 Archos Tablet discussions
sazfar13
Archos User
Archos User

Archos Gen 8 Rooted.

Post by sazfar13 »

Just came across this. Has anyone tried this already?

http://www.techhackz.com/2011/01/how-to ... ernet.html

It is now possible to have full root access on the Gen8 Archos Internet Tablets (101, 70, 43, 32, 28) using a custom kernel. This new kernel has been released by $aur0n @ XDA and it not only provides root access, it also uses the ext4 filesystem which is much faster than ext3 and offers additional enhancements.
The custom kernel comes with the following features [from Android on ext4 filesystem with full r/w access, su, booted from SD card (SDE req.)]:

Why bother:
- ext4 (much faster than ext3, can store files >4GB comparing to FAT32)
- full r/w access to every part of system
- root (su + superuser.apk) out of the box
- possibility to remove some google/Archos apps (already done partly)
- swap memory when you need it
- no 300MB limit for apps (and no faulty app2sd required)
- you can have SD card Class 8/10 - and that's much faster storage than internal flash (inside is something equal class 6 or 4)

Changelog:
0.1 Initial "release"
- recompiled kernel with ext4, nfs4, fb console
- added su and superuser.apk
- bootup changes (to make it work)

To install this custom kernel you will need to be using a SDE (Special Developer Edition) firmware which you can find @ http://www.archos.com/support/support_t ... ml?lang=en.
Please note that installing this firmware will void your warranty so make sure you know what you are doing!
To install this custom kernel head to XDA @ http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=895599 and follow the instructions there.
Don't forget to follow us on Twitter and join our Facebook Fan page to stay updated.
brianinmaine
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: Archos Gen 8 Rooted.

Post by brianinmaine »

I'm sure interested! Might be a while until I see how this works with my 32 tablet, since the SD is built in? Does that make a difference? If someone else is the guinea pig on the same player, I'll be second in line.

The idea of re-partitioning the internal SD seems like a difficult task? Wouldn't I have a problem going back to original? I'm not sure of the overall idea here, which way to go.
A32IT fw:2.1.08 Zeam
conan547
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by conan547 »

i've just tried his one yesterday , it's nice , now i have full access of my 101, and my sdhc is only class 4 , plan to buy a new class 10 sdhc,

i'll try swap also , but another day , long night yesterday, 3am....
hurrpancakes
Archos User
Archos User

Post by hurrpancakes »

I've been using it for the past few days. It is awfully nice to have root on this toy. Although to do it, you need to use linux, due to Windows not agreeing with ext4.
sazfar13
Archos User
Archos User

Post by sazfar13 »

hurrpancakes wrote:I've been using it for the past few days. It is awfully nice to have root on this toy. Although to do it, you need to use linux, due to Windows not agreeing with ext4.

Do you see an improvement in your Quadrant and Linpack scores?
bhmm
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by bhmm »

sazfar13 wrote:
hurrpancakes wrote:I've been using it for the past few days. It is awfully nice to have root on this toy. Although to do it, you need to use linux, due to Windows not agreeing with ext4.

Sazfar...people on XDA have reported big improvement. But it manly related to faster I/O reads/write...There are even posted quadrants screen shots in the same thread.

Thanks by the way for posting this. I Only went to check XDA after reading your post....I will try this. I need linux box. May be I can install some from a CD.
oic0
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by oic0 »

Does this one include overclocking support. I know someone posted one that would let you run 1200mhz. 20% cpu speed on top of a faster file system would rock.
Bouldergeek
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Bouldergeek »

I'm tempted to see if I can do this from a VMware VM, with USB passthrough. Just to be a geek.

Good info. I guess I'll risk a wipe on my A70. I just got it dialled in, too.
Toonces
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Toonces »

Probably going to see a lot of posts about this :)

http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=45422
chunkzdamasta
Archos User
Archos User

Post by chunkzdamasta »

2750 quadrant score...
dervari
Archos User
Archos User

Post by dervari »

Does this give you access to change the PPP chatscripts that are used for tethering?
-----
Richard
Sr Network Engineer
bhmm
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by bhmm »

brianinmaine wrote:I'm sure interested! Might be a while until I see how this works with my 32 tablet, since the SD is built in? Does that make a difference? If someone else is the guinea pig on the same player, I'll be second in line.
It should still work...But Somebody else made it work on on A43 without buying an SD Card. He just reused the internal memory and it worked. He just posted his modified work on this forum..

Yuu can use his method on A32 I guess

Last edited by bhmm on Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bhmm
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by bhmm »

oic0 wrote:Does this one include overclocking support. I know someone posted one that would let you run 1200mhz. 20% cpu speed on top of a faster file system would rock.
NO. The overclocking is a different Kernel. You can not use both. You will have to choose which one you want to load up.
oic0
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by oic0 »

bhmm wrote:
oic0 wrote:Does this one include overclocking support. I know someone posted one that would let you run 1200mhz. 20% cpu speed on top of a faster file system would rock.
NO. The overclocking is a different Kernel. You can not use both. You will have to choose which one you want to load up.
Think I will wait until both features can be found in one kernel then.
bhmm
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by bhmm »

oic0 wrote:
bhmm wrote:
Think I will wait until both features can be found in one kernel then.
It's done...he did it...man..

but he's still testing...
hurrpancakes
Archos User
Archos User

Post by hurrpancakes »

sazfar13 wrote:

Yes, I got about 2000 last time I ran it

Bouldergeek wrote:I'm tempted to see if I can do this from a VMware VM, with USB passthrough. Just to be a geek.

Good info. I guess I'll risk a wipe on my A70. I just got it dialled in, too.
That's how I did it. I don't think there is a chance of wiping your device, considering SDE boot and standard android boot are 2 different things. And this method uses an external SD so your regular A70 system will go untouched.

bhmm wrote:
The most recent OC kernel on XDA is at 1100MHz, and does support the ext4 Android version
Digiflame
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Digiflame »

My linux skills are a bit rusty for the 3 partition ext4 shenanigans but i threw the 1100mhz OC and SU kernel on and it's running great. Also, i discovered i had been using my class 2 sd card instead of my spare class 6, d'oh!
A70IT 2.2.1 1100 OC kernel SDE
sdho
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by sdho »

I'm going out to buy class 10 microSD tomorrow just to root my 101. I'm eying the following:

same card, diff store

http://www.frys.com/product/6427462
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820161405
sequitur
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sequitur »

dervari wrote:Does this give you access to change the PPP chatscripts that are used for tethering?
That should not require root access. First of all these scripts use auto generation so even if you did change one you might find it changing back. Second, programs can affect configurations. Finally, I believe there are hooks in there to dump data into the writable /tmp directory.
alessandro
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by alessandro »

WOW so i just have rootaccess after installing the developer Firmware?
Or do i HAVE to do this kernel update stuff?

Maybe in a few weeks there will be a "easy installer" for this whole linux stuff? :D
Hope so :D

Return to “General Archos Gen8: Archos 28, 32, 43, 70 and 101 Internet Tablets”