Archos 70 or 101

General Gen8 Archos Tablet discussions
Ptom
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Archos 70 or 101

Post by Ptom »

Guys I have a problem, after trauling the net now for what seems like an age, I have decided on the archos as my choice of devise, my dilemma now is which 70 or 101. Any advice from anyone who has these would be great

Thanks
Servaas
Archos User
Archos User

Re: Archos 70 or 101

Post by Servaas »

As a 101 owner I suggest the 70. The 101 is just too big to read comfortably if you are into ebooks. 101 is nicer for sites though.
philthy_ritch
Archos User
Archos User

Post by philthy_ritch »

I own the 101 and my wife has the 70, and I prefer the 70 over the 101. 70 is perfect for ebooks its light and thin and perfect to use on the go. The 101 is nice to use around the house, I barely use my laptop any more when home.
zillah
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by zillah »

I disagree. The 101 is great for eReading. I am sure the 70 is as good, but reading full page documents (pdfs and .docs) and comic viewing is where the 101 really shines. Can't really do that stuff as well on the 70. The size doesn't phase me. If you carry a bag anyway, then you won't notice the difference. And the 70 isn't as easy to pocket as some say. Or least on my clothing line...
Bobmcc81
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Bobmcc81 »

I was sold on the 101 and love it except in one setup. Holding it with one hand while you use the other hand to navigate. It's not the sheer weight of the device rather leverage needed on the holding hand since the unit is so wide it wants to droop. But as a netbook replacement the 101 shines. Ultimately I would like to have both
sweetypie
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sweetypie »

When I hold it in one hand, I hold it as if I was reading a book. i.e in the middle, under the bottom, with my thumb in front.

But then I rarely do this standing up. I tend to do this while sitting on the sofa, or in bed, when I can put a cushion on my lap, kick out the kickstand, put it on the cushion, and not hold it at all.
101luva
Archos User
Archos User

Post by 101luva »

sweetypie wrote:When I hold it in one hand, I hold it as if I was reading a book. i.e in the middle, under the bottom, with my thumb in front.

But then I rarely do this standing up. I tend to do this while sitting on the sofa, or in bed, when I can put a cushion on my lap, kick out the kickstand, put it on the cushion, and not hold it at all.
I do the same. Since I'm not actually holding it up and just letting the kickstand and pillow work together, it's not difficult at all to use the 101, either for surfing or e-reading. If you have one of those "bed trays" it's even better, as it sits on a more solid foundation, so when you tap on it, there is no need to physically touch it at all. I bought a capacitive touch stylus pen to see how it would work and I really, really like it. It's about the size of a regular cigarette and very light to hold. No matter what I touch on, even the smallest font, it registers instantly and precisely. There is a loop to attach it to the device, but, unfortunately, the 101 doesn't have a place to loop it to. You can cut it off though, as it does have a built-on clip, just like a pen, so it can easily clip to a shirt pocket, pants pocket or even be tucked inside a case so it's always handy. Reading on the 101 (for me) is not a problem.
bbm
Archos User
Archos User

Post by bbm »

I have a 70 and i like it very much. I think it has nearly perfect size for a mobile tablet. The 101 or ipad is better for the eyes. But the 70 beats them when taking into account the mobility.
sweetypie
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sweetypie »

@101luva

What make is your stylus? You obviously like it.
101luva
Archos User
Archos User

Post by 101luva »

sweetypie wrote:@101luva

BoxWave Capacitive Stylus. They come in Jet Black, which I have, Red, Blue and Silver.
Yes, I do like it. Works great.
sweetypie
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sweetypie »

101luva wrote:

BoxWave Capacitive Stylus. They come in Jet Black, which I have, Red, Blue and Silver.
Thanks for the pointer, I've ordered one from Amazon Uk. It has 23 five star reviews, and 7 four stars.

It seems to be the only one which works.

And no p&p in the UK - I like Amazon.

Thanks again. :D

{{{ p.s. If it's no good, I'll sent the boys round }}} 8)
101luva
Archos User
Archos User

Post by 101luva »

sweetypie wrote:
101luva wrote:

Thanks for the pointer, I've ordered one from Amazon Uk. It has 23 five star reviews, and 7 four stars.

It seems to be the only one which works.

And no p&p in the UK - I like Amazon.

Thanks again. :D

{{{ p.s. If it's no good, I'll sent the boys round }}} 8)
In my experience, it's worked out well for me. There is a learning curve to using it, so be patient. Scrolling is smooth and fast too. A light touch works best, either using the the side of the stylus or the rounded tip. You wouldn't think it would be as accurate as it is because the tip is rounded and not a point, but it is very accurate and registers exactly what you want it to. Even with a screen protector on my 101, the responsiveness and accuracy are excellent. Good luck! I hope it works as well for you.

Amazon is the shopping place for me. Bought my 101 from them and couldn't be happier. In the very rare case of a return, I have had absolutely no problems in all my years shopping with them, ever. I pay no shipping charges, as I have a PRIME account. Since I shop a whole lot (too much) on Amazon, it made sense to go with Prime and the relatively small yearly fee they charge is well worth it, at least for me. It has absolutely saved me many, many hundreds of dollars in shipping costs I otherwise would have had to pay each time I bought something, so thanks, Amazon! =D>

Tell "the boys" to relax. They won't need to come 'round, but iffin they do, I'll be ready for 'em! 8)
soulhunt79
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by soulhunt79 »

What something you can easily take with you? 70

What something with a bigger screen to use on the sofa? 101

Both are great. I have both and I find I use the 70 more often just because I can take it with me easier.
peeam
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by peeam »

Well, I have both too. I had thought that after checking both, I will keep one and give the other one away. When I use the 70, I like the portability, perfectly adequate for web browsing and reading epub books but not for pdf (not surprising as the screen is not big enough for a standard pdf page). When I use the 101, I do like the bigger screen and reading the books in pdf format with other things largely the same. The 101 does have the advantage of a usb port. So, I have kept both of them !
sweetypie
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sweetypie »

@101luva

My Boxwave capacative stylus arrived today. I love it. I can type and navigate much more quickly and confidently now.

I wonder how long it will last. It feels nicely built - solid. But the tip ... ?
MarcusMarcus
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by MarcusMarcus »

soulhunt79 wrote:What something you can easily take with you? 70

What something with a bigger screen to use on the sofa? 101

Both are great. I have both and I find I use the 70 more often just because I can take it with me easier.
Agreed. I bought the 70 because I wanted something I could take with me out the door with a good size screen. If I had the money to buy both I would love to get the 101 for leaving at home to "use on the sofa" like you say.
Archos 70S
Samsung GalaxyS WiFi 5.0
AllenPapapetrou
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by AllenPapapetrou »

Now that I have my ele-pop A101 Anti-glare screen protector and my ScotteVest, both my A70 and my A101 are portable.

Remember I'm retired and living in Hawaii.

Allen
-An old geek 8)
5IT|A70S|A101
101luva
Archos User
Archos User

Post by 101luva »

My Boxwave capacative stylus arrived today. I love it. I can type and navigate much more quickly and confidently now.

I wonder how long it will last. It feels nicely built - solid. But the tip ... ?
Hey sweetypie...Glad you are happy with your new stylus. I'm a speed demon since I got mine. I think it will last quite a while. The tip on mine is connected solidly and the rounded end is smooth and no hard "pressing" is needed, just a soft tap. For me, it was money well spent.
Ptom
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Ptom »

Hi Guys

Thanks for your advise, it has been really useful. The Archos I have chosen issss......the 70, I have had it for a couple of days now and I'm really impressed it will be a great travelling companion while I'm working away.... :)
blurpasta
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by blurpasta »

i got e A70 250gb, loving it as it's portable and most importantly i like the 250gb hdd space for all my movies and dramas. A101 is too big for me and i feel uncomfortable reading ebooks or watching movies so openly with the big 10 inch screen with A101...

Return to “General Archos Gen8: Archos 28, 32, 43, 70 and 101 Internet Tablets”