Like you Allen, I always download using Firefox in Windows (except for yesterday and today, when I've been using Ubuntu on my laptop - don't ask. Ok, ask. With all the Gen 8 "rooting" dialogue going on, I thought I'd finally install Linux somewhere, and get my old Unix books out of the loft).AllenPapapetrou wrote:Aloha JL,
Welcome to our forum
I stopped DLing to my Archos a long time ago because I have more than one Archos tablet. I always DL via Firefox in Windows. If the DroidX file DLs as a .zip rename it to .apk.
I don't know about receiving it as an email attachment. Since I don't do that for my Archos tablets.
I do remember that, about 12 months ago on the A5IT, when I tried to download an apk using the stock Archos browser, it downloaded and installed it immediately. I seem to remember I had to install another browser on the Archos to download apks successfully (or change a setting in Astro, or Appmonster to allow ALL files to be downloaded).
Anyhoo, if the IE download ends up with a file with a zip suffix, first make sure you have "hide file extensions for known filetypes" box unticked in Folder Options in Windows Explorer. Then you'll see if the .zip has been added to the .apk, or substituted for it, because you'll see the whole filename.
If it's been added, delete it. If it's been substituted rename it.