No - I do not want more App storage
No votes

Total votes: 0
sdho
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: Poll: Increased app storage at the expense of media stor

Post by sdho »

yes to more storage app and poll isn't working.
rchos_fan
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by rchos_fan »

fullthrottle wrote:Had so much potential.
The potential is currently crippled.

As for my vote: a resounding YES.
jasdjensen
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by jasdjensen »

Yes. An absolute yes. But does that result in Archos seeing our opinion?
blazingwolf
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by blazingwolf »

With the current voting options I choose no. I have the 16GB but don't need or want more than 512MB of app space.
Follow me on mytabletlife.com.
Darkseider
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Darkseider »

blazingwolf wrote:With the current voting options I choose no. I have the 16GB but don't need or want more than 512MB of app space.
Did you just say 512 meg of app space? Do me a favor. Download and install a Terminal Emulator from the market. Then type the following:

df <press enter>

It will then display the partitions and their size in 1k blocks. You will see a partition called /data. Please tell me how many 1k blocks that partition has. Thanks! If it is indeed 512000 (give or take a few) then that proves that the partition is completely arbitrary and can be changed with a firmware update.
rchos_fan
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by rchos_fan »

Darkseider wrote:
blazingwolf wrote:With the current voting options I choose no. I have the 16GB but don't need or want more than 512MB of app space.
Did you just say 512 meg of app space? Do me a favor. Download and install a Terminal Emulator from the market. Then type the following:

df <press enter>

It will then display the partitions and their size in 1k blocks. You will see a partition called /data. Please tell me how many 1k blocks that partition has. Thanks! If it is indeed 512000 (give or take a few) then that proves that the partition is completely arbitrary and can be changed with a firmware update.

+1 -- yes, please!! I would really appreciate that as well. Thanks in advance!! =D>
tshaw1
Archos User
Archos User

Post by tshaw1 »

I guess I've always thought that RAM & ROM were two different types of devices. Obviously, if this is hardware related then like our PC's they would have to provide/sell us a chip if there's even a socket to put it in... I'm wondering if this is somehow more like 8 or 16 gig of RAM that perhaps stays charged enuogh to retain data? Or, if this is a custom made chipset that contains both types of memory chips?

Whatever it is if Archos has the ability to actually reconfigure the partitions to allow us more, for the lack of a better term, RAM, well then it's just crazy not to do so... It's hard to figure out some of the logic behind Archos' decisions... The recent down-clocking of their CPU comes to mind?
HTC EVO, Archos 70 - Archos 101
Darkseider
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Darkseider »

tshaw1 wrote:I guess I've always thought that RAM & ROM were two different types of devices. Obviously, if this is hardware related then like our PC's they would have to provide/sell us a chip if there's even a socket to put it in... I'm wondering if this is somehow more like 8 or 16 gig of RAM that perhaps stays charged enuogh to retain data? Or, if this is a custom made chipset that contains both types of memory chips?

Whatever it is if Archos has the ability to actually reconfigure the partitions to allow us more, for the lack of a better term, RAM, well then it's just crazy not to do so... It's hard to figure out some of the logic behind Archos' decisions... The recent down-clocking of their CPU comes to mind?
The storage in the 8 gig A70 and A101 is a single Toshiba 8 Gig NAND chip partitioned via firmware. I would love to know if the A101 16 uses two of these or one 16 Gig NAND chip. My guess is a single 16 Gig NAND and if the /data partition is indeed 512 meg on the 16 and it uses a single 16 Gig NAND chip then Archos can definitely repartition the storage with a firmware update. I would love to see what's in an A70 250 as well seeing that it has been stated that it has a 1.4 Gig /data partition. In any case with these different sizes, if confirmed, proves that it is completely arbitrary and can be changed by the manufacturer.
blazingwolf
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by blazingwolf »

Darkseider wrote:

df <press enter>

I didn't say I had 512MB. I said I wouldn't use more then that. df shows 306631 though.
Follow me on mytabletlife.com.
deet
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by deet »

+1

I vote yes.

If possible I would like to see Archos offer this as a configurable option (maybe at format time) so that folks can keep it the way it is (suitable for a media only device), expand it a little (media + internet) or expand it a lot (full tablet device with lots of room for many big apps).
A80S-V5(T1) OMAP4460 ES.1.1
Darkseider
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Darkseider »

Excellent! Thank you. That's 300 (299) meg as well for the A101/16. All we need now is someone with an A70 250 to do the same thing! With any luck I will get my hands on one this coming Monday and dive into it. Also a quick note is that a lot of the reviews on Amazon, while positive, mention the LACK of space in the /data partition as well and echo the same sentiments that myself and others have. PLEASE increase the space. Well here's hoping for someone with an A70/250 to do the same thing and give us a number with the "df" command. Otherwise I will hopefully have some news Monday.
tester482
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by tester482 »

Yes - I would like more App storage

media storage can be easily added with a pendrive or a micro sd card
rchos_fan
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by rchos_fan »

Darkseider wrote:Excellent! Thank you. That's 300 (299) meg as well for the A101/16. All we need now is someone with an A70 250 to do the same thing! With any luck I will get my hands on one this coming Monday and dive into it. Also a quick note is that a lot of the reviews on Amazon, while positive, mention the LACK of space in the /data partition as well and echo the same sentiments that myself and others have. PLEASE increase the space. Well here's hoping for someone with an A70/250 to do the same thing and give us a number with the "df" command. Otherwise I will hopefully have some news Monday.
Check with Ed, from The Digital Digest, he has the 250 GB version. He did the YouTube videos/reviews and has a userid that you can find here. PM him, I'm sure he'd help out.
Darkseider
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Darkseider »

Excellent I will look him up! Hopefully we can get some kind of official response from Archos on this as many folks, myself included, in this forum and others as well as internet reviews are calling attention to this issue.
Darkseider
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Darkseider »

OK thank you to 4DThinker for his quick response!

Data = 1k blocks 1693688, Used 202764, Available 1405564

70it with 250gb hard drive.
Hope that helps.

That shows that the A70/250 does indeed have 1.4 Gig assigned to the /data partition of the device.

So the NON HD units all have 299 Meg while the A70/250 has 1.4 Gig. This does in fact PROVE that it is COMPLETELY arbitrary on the part of Archos to assign these partition sizes. So now that we have confirmation can this please be addressed by Archos so those of us with the 8/16 gig models of the A70 and A101 get the appropriate amount of space assigned to the /data partition through a firmware re-write and repartitioning.
rchos_fan
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by rchos_fan »

deet wrote:
If possible I would like to see Archos offer this as a configurable option (maybe at format time) so that folks can keep it the way it is (suitable for a media only device), expand it a little (media + internet) or expand it a lot (full tablet device with lots of room for many big apps).
Hey, I think you are on to something...like the configurable CPU speeds (3 options) that Archos implemented (from listening to users), but like you said, at format time.

Bravo!!!
deet
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by deet »

rchos_fan wrote:
deet wrote:
Hey, I think you are on to something...like the configurable CPU speeds (3 options) that Archos implemented (from listening to users), but like you said, at format time.

Bravo!!!
Thanks. I hope that this is possible because otherwise I imagine that Archos would be very reluctant to issue new firmware that requires everyone to re-format before installing it.

Frankly, if this were the case and I was Archos then I would not do it either. The CS problems that would follow from such a requirement would be horrendous.

So, to the smart guys out there - can this be done?
Darkseider
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Darkseider »

Nope. Reformat would be necessary as you are resizing the entire file system and remounting the block devices. A reformat would be trivial though as re-downloading any apps is nothing more than a few clicks and paid apps follow your google account on any Android device, with a maximum of 8 registered devices. So all in all even with the reformat it would be a benefit to all users. Granted a temporary pain but in the long run, believe me, it would be well worth it. This is coming from somone who still has his G1, Nexus One, Droid, Droid Inc and G2 along with two Archos 101/8 and a Viewsonic GTab.

EDIT: What else can be done if they don't want to deal with CS issues is make this firmware available as DOWNLOAD only and not mandatory for those that are satisfied with their current partitioning. I would be happy with that as well.
deet
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by deet »

Darkseider wrote:Nope. Reformat would be necessary
I think that you misunderstood me - I hope.

I am suggesting that this be implemented by reformatting only if you want a bigger app space. However, if you do not want a bigger space then you should be able to just leave it as it is. The question then becomes does the firmware image depend upon the size of the various partitions? I am guessing not because Archos already distributes the same firmware for both the 8Gb and hdd versions of the A70.

This way the folks who are happy with things the way they are (plus the great unwashed that don't know or care) do not have to do anything special at all. They do not have to save their apps and the contents of flash before upgrading the firmware.

Folks who want a bigger space do have to go through this hassle but presumably they have a better idea of what they are doing and are less likely to screw up, or at least they will accept responsibility if they screw up.

My concern is that if this cannot be done then I don't see Archos making this change as it would force a complete refresh on every tablet out there. You may think that this is trivial, and maybe it is, but most folks would be horrified to learn that everything that they had put on their new devices was going to be deleted when the device is re-formatted. Actually, most folks would only learn that they had lost their stuff when it was too late.
rchos_fan
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by rchos_fan »

Darkseider wrote:Nope. Reformat would be necessary as you are resizing the entire file system and remounting the block devices. A reformat would be trivial though as re-downloading any apps is nothing more than a few clicks and paid apps follow your google account on any Android device, with a maximum of 8 registered devices. So all in all even with the reformat it would be a benefit to all users. Granted a temporary pain but in the long run, believe me, it would be well worth it. This is coming from somone who still has his G1, Nexus One, Droid, Droid Inc and G2 along with two Archos 101/8 and a Viewsonic GTab..
But...could it be written into the code so that the "user configurability option to repartition" (or "how" to repartition) would only be accessed if the drive is formatted, like one of the steps you had to go through when you first set up the device (what time zone, demo mode, etc.)?

If so, problem solved. Create a recommended setting on one of those screens and an option or two of how else it could be repartitioned, like the 3 CPU speeds.

Return to “General Archos Gen8: Archos 28, 32, 43, 70 and 101 Internet Tablets”