No - I do not want more App storage
No votes

Total votes: 0
spawn
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Poll: Increased app storage at the expense of media storage

Post by spawn »

Re the ongoing debate about app storage on the Gen8 devices I would like to make a simple poll to meassure how the general user feel about this.

Currently the available storage for installing Apps are limited to 299mb
- this can be reconfigured and increased by for instanse 1gb more so the total available App storage would be 1.3gb

The cost of doing so is 1gb less internal storage for media files

Please no discussions in this thread - there are other ongoing threads where opinions can be made and if you need more info on the subject then please also read the other threads - this thread just a simple yes or no

thanks for participating :)
MarcusMarcus
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: Poll: Increased app storage at the expense of media stor

Post by MarcusMarcus »

FYI, Polls still don't work.
Yes, increase app storage space.
Archos 70S
Samsung GalaxyS WiFi 5.0
butterflygirl
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by butterflygirl »

Yes. I would like more apps storage, but don't believe archos is obligated to give it to us.
Last edited by butterflygirl on Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rglick64
Archos User
Archos User

Post by rglick64 »

Poll not working. Yes, increase app space.
Darkseider
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Darkseider »

Poll still not working.

YES I would like more app storage
dodger11111
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by dodger11111 »

YES I agree
gottahavit
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gottahavit »

given that you didnt provide multiple options here i have to vote no. i would vote yes for half that increase
grnbrg
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by grnbrg »

YES!

I think 10% of available NVRAM would be a nice target... 750M for 8G devices, 1.5G for 16G devices.

grnbrg.
MarcusMarcus
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by MarcusMarcus »

grnbrg wrote:YES!

I think 10% of available NVRAM would be a nice target... 750M for 8G devices, 1.5G for 16G devices.

grnbrg.
This would be reasonable IMO
Archos 70S
Samsung GalaxyS WiFi 5.0
jnmarshall
Archos User
Archos User

Post by jnmarshall »

Where's the option to use the microsd memory for app storage like other droids instead of this jacked up internal memory?
Darkseider
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Darkseider »

jnmarshall wrote:Where's the option to use the microsd memory for app storage like other droids instead of this jacked up internal memory?
It does but that isn't the problem. Read these threads.

See this thread: http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.p ... 41#p305541

and this one: http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.p ... 0&start=20
jnmarshall
Archos User
Archos User

Post by jnmarshall »

Darkseider wrote:
jnmarshall wrote:Where's the option to use the microsd memory for app storage like other droids instead of this jacked up internal memory?

I have read those and they are very informative. You indicate you can move the apps to the SD card? How? There is no "Move to SD" option, only "Move to Internal" the 6gb that archos chose to tread like an SD card and "Move to Storage System" the other 2gb or 256mb app memory. And this was confirmed with two recent calls to archos tech support.
Please explain.
Darkseider
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Darkseider »

jnmarshall wrote:
Darkseider wrote:

I have read those and they are very informative. You indicate you can move the apps to the SD card? How? There is no "Move to SD" option, only "Move to Internal" the 6gb that archos chose to tread like an SD card and "Move to Storage System" the other 2gb or 256mb app memory. And this was confirmed with two recent calls to archos tech support.
Please explain.
The internal is 7 Gig and is treated like the SD Card. System storage is 1 gig of which 300 meg is dedicated to /data then /system and some other partitions that I don't recall off the top of my head. In any case increasing the /data partition size to say... 1 Gig at the expense of 700 meg of the 7 gig available for internal storage is no big deal. The units have an SD Card. Again whether the app is physically moved to "internal storage" or an SD Card the fact remains that 300 Meg for the /data partition is not nearly enough for the dalvik cache and the application cache.
LoSBoL
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by LoSBoL »

YES please :)
fortuna favet fatuis
fullthrottle
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by fullthrottle »

LoSBoL wrote:YES please :)
Another yes.

Also why did Archos make it so difficult to root. What would they lose? They definitely didn't earn any new fans and I'm sure many people who bought it with the hopes or rooting and customizing have gone ahead and returned it or are thinking seriously about doing so.

Their decisions make no sense.

And with the new tablets hitting the market this thing is pretty much DOA.

Unfortunate. Had so much potential.
jnmarshall
Archos User
Archos User

Post by jnmarshall »

What archos did was either very ingenious and executed EXTREMELY poorly or maybe due to technical limits possibly screwed themselves. What I have seen of other droid phones and tablets is there are 3 distinct and separate memories. First there is the RAM typically 128/256/512MB. Just like the RAM in any computer systems. Some mfgs even advertise it like DDR 667mhz and such. Second there is the internal app storage of like 4/8/16/32GB. And finally there is the external SD, miniSD or MicroSD.
In the case of the Archos it looks like there is one memory. I haven't seen any RAM. Somewhere I think I saw it listed as 8GB of MMSD memory or something like that. Then they(archos) split it into the 3 memory components listed above. Giving us something like 256 or 300MB of simulated RAM, Another 1.5 or 2GB of app storage (Storage Space) and the remaining 6+GB as simulated external SD memory they call "Internal Memory". It's essentially a 2gb droid tablet with a 6gb external SD built in. These sizes are just rounded for illustrative purposes and are not exact. They actually give us a 4th memory location in the microSD but it's really useless as it's implemented.
What's ingenious is that the simulated RAM could be of any size up to 8GB. They could give us a firmware update alocating 1GB or or 2GB to this RAM and give us a 4 or 6GB droid table for app storage and let us use the microSD as the external memory.
I do not know if there is a technical limit to this use of the memory like speed and performance as you increase size. Clearly this memory is nothing like a DDR memory chip.

Does anyone know if this thing has actual RAM and I overlooked it?
Darkseider
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Darkseider »

jnmarshall wrote:What archos did was either very ingenious and executed EXTREMELY poorly or maybe due to technical limits possibly screwed themselves. What I have seen of other droid phones and tablets is there are 3 distinct and separate memories. First there is the RAM typically 128/256/512MB. Just like the RAM in any computer systems. Some mfgs even advertise it like DDR 667mhz and such. Second there is the internal app storage of like 4/8/16/32GB. And finally there is the external SD, miniSD or MicroSD.
In the case of the Archos it looks like there is one memory. I haven't seen any RAM. Somewhere I think I saw it listed as 8GB of MMSD memory or something like that. Then they(archos) split it into the 3 memory components listed above. Giving us something like 256 or 300MB of simulated RAM, Another 1.5 or 2GB of app storage (Storage Space) and the remaining 6+GB as simulated external SD memory they call "Internal Memory". It's essentially a 2gb droid tablet with a 6gb external SD built in. These sizes are just rounded for illustrative purposes and are not exact. They actually give us a 4th memory location in the microSD but it's really useless as it's implemented.
What's ingenious is that the simulated RAM could be of any size up to 8GB. They could give us a firmware update alocating 1GB or or 2GB to this RAM and give us a 4 or 6GB droid table for app storage and let us use the microSD as the external memory.
I do not know if there is a technical limit to this use of the memory like speed and performance as you increase size. Clearly this memory is nothing like a DDR memory chip.

Does anyone know if this thing has actual RAM and I overlooked it?
The system RAM separate and is part of the SoC assembly. The storage on the unit system and internal is part of the same 8 Gig Toshiba NAND chip. Which is partitioned for 7 gig for internal storage, 300 meg for /data and the rest for /system and some other block device mounts which escape me at the moment. In any case. 1 Gig LESS internal storage and repartition it to give us 1.4 to 2 gig for /data and all will be good. It is an arbitrary decision made by Archos and can be rectified with a firmware update + wipe.
jnmarshall
Archos User
Archos User

Post by jnmarshall »

Darkseider wrote:The system RAM separate and is part of the SoC assembly. The storage on the unit system and internal is part of the same 8 Gig Toshiba NAND chip. Which is partitioned for 7 gig for internal storage, 300 meg for /data and the rest for /system and some other block device mounts which escape me at the moment. In any case. 1 Gig LESS internal storage and repartition it to give us 1.4 to 2 gig for /data and all will be good. It is an arbitrary decision made by Archos and can be rectified with a firmware update + wipe.
So the 300mb is separate from RAM and there is a separate RAM component. I thought they were trying to share all that on one memory module. There is definitely ALOT of flexibility on how this could have been partitioned and implemented.
Darkseider
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Darkseider »

jnmarshall wrote:
Darkseider wrote:The system RAM separate and is part of the SoC assembly. The storage on the unit system and internal is part of the same 8 Gig Toshiba NAND chip. Which is partitioned for 7 gig for internal storage, 300 meg for /data and the rest for /system and some other block device mounts which escape me at the moment. In any case. 1 Gig LESS internal storage and repartition it to give us 1.4 to 2 gig for /data and all will be good. It is an arbitrary decision made by Archos and can be rectified with a firmware update + wipe.
So the 300mb is separate from RAM and there is a separate RAM component. I thought they were trying to share all that on one memory module. There is definitely ALOT of flexibility on how this could have been partitioned and implemented.
Yep! Welcome to the party. =D> They could have easily partitioned the 8 Gig NAND with 6 Gig for internal storage (Media / Apps2SD) which could easily be expanded for media with a MicroSD card. Then given 2 Gig for System and Data giving at least 1.4 gig to /data. This is what could have and should be done.
zillah
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by zillah »

grnbrg wrote:YES!

grnbrg.
This.

Return to “General Archos Gen8: Archos 28, 32, 43, 70 and 101 Internet Tablets”