Warning!!! Do not buy these archos tablets

General Gen8 Archos Tablet discussions
oblivior72
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Warning!!! Do not buy these archos tablets

Post by oblivior72 »

Probably the worst 300 dollars I have ever spent. I had the tablet for only 2 weeks. I was excited at first but all my hopes and dreams went down the drain when it began to malfunction. I manage to install the market and was running launcher pro on it which seemed to improve it's performance. For the ordinary user, there are other tablets out there that will get the job done. I was let down by archos because this machine would not render pages properly. If there were too many images in the browser it would lag. It was very slow to respond. Not to mention that the material of this was EXTREMELY CHEAP. There was very little room to grab it by the edges in which I was extremely disappointed when I grabbed it, placed my thumb on it and the screen cracked on the inside.

I called Archos with a very friendly tone of voice (since being pissed off doesn't get you anywhere on over the phone customer service) and explain to them what happened. They simply kept replying with "The LCD is not covered under warranty". I explained to them that there was no way in hell it was my fault, all I did was pick up the piece of crap and it broke, obviously being a defective unit because it's not like it was cracked on the outside only on the inside.

Well sure enough (and conveniently enough) there was no manager at the time to speak with and for some odd reason they are not aloud to give out the number for corporate...hmmm?. They refused to cooperate and I spoke to two customer service representatives (one being ID # 7611 you know who you are) who were very rude. They refused to help and raised their tone of voice at me. When I told him that I was going to expose every single possible forum in the world wide web that is anything closely related to tablets and archos of how SHIBBY! their products are, he replied (and I quote) "Is that a threat? Ohh that is a ridiculous statement" <--- From customer service.

So there you have it, yes they are cheap and you get what you pay for. If I were you I would turn to another company and another tablet, these flimsy little childrens toy wont last a couple months.
Last edited by Harfainx on Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edit by Harfainx - Just removing caps lock for you
Harfainx

Re: Warning!!! Do not buy these archos tablets

Post by Harfainx »

Sounds like you've had a pretty bad experience. All I can say is that it sucks that something like that happened to you about your screen.

As far as I can tell though (with all of my Archos devices so far), is that the screen is not that flimsy that it would crack just by picking it up. I've actually done a complete tear-down multiple times now on my A101, and I actually managed to drop the screen, and it still didn't crack.

Now before you get defensive, I'm not calling you a liar by any means. I'm just saying that maybe you did in-fact get a bad unit (or at least a bad screen). Maybe the screen got a small crack in it during shipping or something that you didn't notice, and with your pressure added, it was just the little bit that was needed to finish it off.
oblivior72
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by oblivior72 »

Yea Harfainx I was so pissed off you cant imagine. I did a good amount of research before buying the tablet and things look great. I feel like these things have to be treated like a gentle baby to work properly "oh you have to touch the screen very lightly for you to be able to move the widget around" thats bull it should not be that way. If you press to hard they freak out and lose it.

Let's say I did get a defective unit. I'm sure there is something customer service can do about it instead of speaking rudely to me calling me a liar and saying i had "ridiculous comments" that is not how a representative should behave.

I have worked in customer service and I know how these people feel. I've been in their shoes before and I know how to treat them, there is no need for hostility especially since I first sounded modest despite my rage.

Even if they did have the greatest product in the world I would not want to make business with a corporation who treats their customers like crap. I think that is really what infuriated me.
noc
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by noc »

oblivior72 wrote:Even if they did have the greatest product in the world I would not want to make business with a corporation who treats their customers like crap.
You mean like how nearly every major company treats it's customers like they are stupid sheep who don't know anything? And yes I am referring to the likes of Apple, Google, Microsoft etc.

Hate to think how hard you must of grabbed it to have actually cracked the screen. Maybe you did get a defective unit but does that mean they will all be the same?
sweetypie
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sweetypie »

You don't say what model you have which is defective, although your thread title tells us not to buy "these" models - plural. How many defective models do you have? Based on your experience of what you admit to be a "defective" unit, do you really think that the majority of buyers will ger a "defective" unit?

Nor do you say where you purchased the Archos. If the unit you bought is truly defective, rather than having developed a fault through normal use, then surely you should return it to the retailer under Sale of Goods legislation? Or maybe that's only in the UK? Of course, maybe you bought it directly from Archos?

It must be very difficult for Archos to agree to replace touchscreens. How can they protect themselves against ham-fisted users?

If Archos started giving free replacement touchscreens, how careless would buyers become? If you were Archos, would you give a free replacement screen to every user who stuck the device in a jeans pocket and sat on it?

Of course I sympathise with your dilemma. But I don't feel your experience is sufficient to recommend that Archos Fans don't buy "these" models, whatever they are.

Sorry, case not proven for me. But also sorry for your loss.
sdho
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by sdho »

wonder if i cracked my ipad's LCD, would Apple replaced it under warranty?
BramAndroid
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by BramAndroid »

I do not have any troubles with mine, but I would recommend to return it to the company where you bought it (if it is not Archos itself).

At least in my country they are obligated by law to handle your claim and find a proper solution. If they cannot prove that you have defected the device yourself (by dropping or anything) they have to replace it.

Hope it helps. At least it is not good for business if Archos handles claims like this.
noc
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by noc »

BramAndroid wrote:At least it is not good for business if Archos handles claims like this.
How is it Archos's fault if he broke it doing something that it is not designed to do? The screen is not designed to take any serious amount of pressure and I'm pretty sure it says so in the manual that I intend to read one day.
Trix13
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Trix13 »

My speakers are busted =/

I feel the same as OP, I love the idea of a tablet... but this is the worse 300 dollars I have spent... I should've got a laptop, or waited for the notion ink... Honestly when I got the chance from amazon I should've returned this POS and got my money back... Infact I think I'ma print out the form right now...
tECHNGRO
Archos User
Archos User

Post by tECHNGRO »

oblivior72 wrote: There was very little room to grab it by the edges in which I was extremely disappointed when I grabbed it, placed my thumb on it and the screen cracked on the inside.
Yeah, i'm pretty much ROFLMAO at you right now. You placed your thumb on the screen and it cracked on the inside? Yeah...right... you couldn't find room to hold it? I'm 6'2" and 240lbs. My hands are the size of small dinner plates and can palm a basketball. I can hold my Archos just fine with my thumb on the bezel (in portrait or landscape).

I don't blame Archos for not fixing your screen. A cracked screen is not a manufacturers defect. Who's to say that you didn't just step on it or drop it or something. In any case, you should have gotten a SquareTrade warranty that covers accidental coverage (that's basically what your problem is). Most companies don't cover accidental damage under their warranty.
sequitur
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sequitur »

Several things come to mind...

Everybody in prison is innocent... Just ask them.

The more insecure people are about their actions the more they want to tell everyone they are right.

There are a lot of people in the world who should never have any device that is not military grade, a puppy, a kitten or anything else that requires a degree of care.

Whoever is at fault get somebody else to pay for it or call them names. I have had customers try to exercise their money back guarantee with... wait for it... the dog ate it, can I have another? No kidding.

Opinions are like... You know the saying.

What bothers me is that Archos has to factor in the return rate for people who don't know how to configure an internet client, can't be troubled to find help for simple problems or are careless and break things. I'm not saying I know for a fact the OP broke his device. I am saying that my wife plugged the credit card power into the portable hot spot the other day and I didn't send it in for warranty just because I didn't feel like being out $130. BTW don't buy the Cradlepoint PH300. They burn up when you apply too much power. Worst $130 I ever spent!

In my years of experience with Archos they have been fairly good to deal with and my one RMA was handled well and quickly. I really don't care if you buy one or not, unless you're going say it was broken when you got it and then vent on the forum... which doesn't make that person an expert, unless you define an ex as a has been and a spurt as a drip under pressure. What do I know? I'm no expert. ;)
loganss
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by loganss »

I find it hard to believe that someone could pick up the A101 (not sure the one you have) and crack the screen with their fingers. If you did the screen must've been defective. That'd be hard to prove though.

To announce that no one should buy the tablets because of your defective product seems like an over reacton.
A101-8GB | N1
DocRob
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by DocRob »

For the ordinary user, there are other tablets out there that will get the job done.
The Archos does have it's faults, sure. I think it's a stretch to say that there are other tablets out there, at this time, for under $300 that does the things the Archos can.

The $150 "China pads" are no where near close.
spawn
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by spawn »

Its propably not because of the defective product hes reacted, but rather because of the response he got from Archos and their failure to want to help.

I agree that the screen would not break just by handling it normally, but if it did then this would indicate some manufacturing fault on this individual device or manufacturing defect of this LCD, in which case it would be Archos's responsibility to help.

Sad to see the usual Archos fans respond by instantly trying to ridicule someone thats had a bad experience and suggesting that hes lying - but thats typical for internet forums like this. Contrary to popular beliefs this kind of reaction doesnt really help put Archos in a better light.
noc
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by noc »

Sad to see the usual response of calling anyone who defends anything a fanboy. I, like many others, are fans of intelligence and taking responsibility for your own actions.
The_Blood_Raven
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by The_Blood_Raven »

Oh come on. My Tablet wouldn't play any music, but would play the audio in videos. So obviously, a hardware defect wouldn't make sense. I called customer support and they told me that it sounded weird and that it made no sense. We both agreed on that, and then he said that I should RMA it and was really nice. Hell we talked about all the new tablets and how I liked my tablet besides the problem.

I got an RMA for a completely non-nonsensical issue! Something isn't right with this story.
rifej7386
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by rifej7386 »

Why is the Archos warranty so limited if you buy it direct?

I would think it should be as good as any suppliers.
nekogami13
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by nekogami13 »

sdho wrote:wonder if i cracked my ipad's LCD, would Apple replaced it under warranty?
Sometimes with the iphone 4, they would give you a new one on the spot(at least at an Apple store) or offerto fix it for a fee.
They definitely would not just tell you you are out of luck and stuck with a broken device.
bhmm
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by bhmm »

nekogami13 wrote:
sdho wrote:wonder if i cracked my ipad's LCD, would Apple replaced it under warranty?
Sometimes with the iphone 4, they would give you a new one on the spot(at least at an Apple store) or offerto fix it for a fee.
They definitely would not just tell you you are out of luck and stuck with a broken device.
You have to pay 200.00 for any physicall damage.....not sure how you got a free one. I did not!
nekogami13
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by nekogami13 »

To the original poster: i am sure you used a credit card, have you investigated what kind(if any) coverage you have through them?

Some credit cards offer protection policies on purchases through the card.

Return to “General Archos Gen8: Archos 28, 32, 43, 70 and 101 Internet Tablets”