Bug/problem - "disable powersave" doesn't work

General Gen8 Archos Tablet discussions
orenf
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Bug/problem - "disable powersave" doesn't work

Post by orenf »

Setup: A70, clocked to 300-1000, on battery, Froyo.

Connecting to a new wifi network, checking "disable powersave". Once connected, I look at the properties for the connection, and it shows "powersave disabled: NO".

- it seems to ignore the fact I checked "disable powersave" when connecting.

I tired this several times (after "forgetting" the network), same results.

Can anyone confirm that they've been abled to maintain WiFi while on battery without keeping the screen on all the time?

tnx!
elmerohueso
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: Bug/problem - "disable powersave" doesn't work

Post by elmerohueso »

Known issue. However, the disable powersave option seems to be working for me even when it says No. Mine will go the sleep and stay connected to the wireless (I hear notifications of incoming email still).
markayak
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by markayak »

I have treid both ways and no matter what wifi drops out after a few minutes.
darren1
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by darren1 »

Try Softlocker BETA from the Google Market, works for me.
liutszho
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by liutszho »

Wow! Softlocker bet works for me. Great suggestion , hope archos fixes the power save problem.
orenf
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by orenf »

Turns out my A70 does stay connected after all (as the annoying beeps prove), even though it says the option is unchecked.

I'd recommend you "forget" your wifi network, then set it up with "powersave disabled" checked, wait for it to connect, then press the power button, and then send yourself an email to an account set up on your device, to see whether you get a notification or not.

Go figure.
spawn
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by spawn »

Heres a tip

After you have setup the connection and connected via wifi, then goto the wifi manager under settings, click and hold on the connected wifi entry, a menu will appear where you have an option to edit the entry, select to edit, you will find the disabled powersafe option are not checked, check it and save the wifi entry - it now saves the option and keep wifi alive also during screen off.
bmarkman
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by bmarkman »

spawn wrote:Heres a tip

After you have setup the connection and connected via wifi, then goto the wifi manager under settings, click and hold on the connected wifi entry, a menu will appear where you have an option to edit the entry, select to edit, you will find the disabled powersafe option are not checked, check it and save the wifi entry - it now saves the option and keep wifi alive also during screen off.
thanks sooooo much. I have just completed an hour of continuous web surfing with no connection delays . :D . Hopefully problem solved....
Nexus one, A70
wdl1908
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by wdl1908 »

Sorry to disappoint you but that does not work.

When the screen goes blank after the going to sleep timeout and then the devices is activated with the power button the wifi starts to reconnect. What other settings are there to get the wifi to stay connected?

Not even the option "Wifi Sleep policy" "never" in Spare Parts works

The only thing that seems to work is installing "Softlocker BETA"
loganss
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by loganss »

wdl1908 wrote: Sorry to disappoint you but that does not work.

When the screen goes blank after the going to sleep timeout and then the devices is activated with the power button the wifi starts to reconnect. What other settings are there to get the wifi to stay connected?

You can't possibly imagine how grateful I am that you suggested Softlocker as a fix to the wifi sleep poilcy issue on the gen8 devices. it works!!!!! It even fixes my last issue of the rf rii mini keyboard/mouse causing the a101 to lock up if it was plugged in when device went to sleep. This is great!
A101-8GB | N1
wdl1908
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by wdl1908 »

loganss wrote:
wdl1908 wrote: Sorry to disappoint you but that does not work.

You can't possibly imagine how grateful I am that you suggested Softlocker as a fix to the wifi sleep poilcy issue on the gen8 devices. it works!!!!! It even fixes my last issue of the rf rii mini keyboard/mouse causing the a101 to lock up if it was plugged in when device went to sleep. This is great!
Glade I could suggest a solution.

Be aware that your battery will not last as long as before. So you should turn off the wifi when you'r not going to use the device for an extended period of time. That seems to be the only drawback of using Softlocker.
spawn
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by spawn »

wdl1908 wrote:

Sorry to disappoint you but that does not work.

When the screen goes blank after the going to sleep timeout and then the devices is activated with the power button the wifi starts to reconnect.
Not dissapointed, it works fine for me :)

When screen is off wifi is still active, I can hear notifications from mail coming in. Yes, it will do a reconnect when I turn on the screen, but not because it was off during screen off.

May not work for everyone, but do work for me :)

Return to “General Archos Gen8: Archos 28, 32, 43, 70 and 101 Internet Tablets”