Step by Step Plan to Upgrade brand new Archos Devices to 2.2

General Gen8 Archos Tablet discussions
Kanat
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: Step by Step Plan to Upgrade brand new Archos Devices to

Post by Kanat »

Youtube retired from my archos, but again I cant find youtube in the market.. Ooooooo
Kanat
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Kanat »

Guys if I took youtube app from applanet is it ok? Because I cant find youtube in the market
tshaw1
Archos User
Archos User

Post by tshaw1 »

Kanat wrote:Guys if I took youtube app from applanet is it ok? Because I cant find youtube in the market
I've not used that market myself but if it works after you download it then you are good to go.. your other option is just to go to the YouTube web site. If you followed the plan at the top of this thread you should have Flash 10 installed and be able to enjoy most videos.
HTC EVO, Archos 70 - Archos 101
tshaw1
Archos User
Archos User

Post by tshaw1 »

I might mention another interesting App that I've been experimenting with and that's MarketEnabler. It sets your device to appear as if it belongs to various phone companies around the world and appears to provide one with additional Apps to chose. You must first temp Root your device then fire up this App & try it out.
BGMArchos
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by BGMArchos »

tshaw1 wrote:
BGMArchos wrote:Hello,

I followed the directions NOT to install the third party applications offered during the initialization process. Now, I realized there was stuff in this group I'm missing. Specifically several of the songs I really enjoyed.

Question: I know I can rerun the wizard / initialization process, but is there a way to pick and choose the stuff I want instead of getting it all?

Bert.
Bert,
I'm not sure what's in that group of Apps. Like I said I just didn't want to take the chance that something in there, given the Archos warnings, would keep me from getting to the Market. I guess I'm surprized there was music in there? I think I would do what I always do and that's go and download one of the mp3 Apps from the Market & download all the free songs I want? You maybe can go to the Archose Site & obtain the individual Apps but then again I'm not sure... I was only there to Register my 70 and as odd as it sounds it was one of the only times my tablet completely locked up!?!?
The funny thing is AppsLib is part of the third parties, I guess, as its not on my system after I did the installation.

Yet, AppsLib has a great tie in for a third party with Archos. They only support Archos devices (if you look at the list of compatible devices) and the Archos site directly ties you to AppsLib even doing the PayPal combination on their website. Honestly, I thought / still think Archos owns AppsLib (or a great deal of it).

Does anyone know about the relationship between Archos and AppsLib?

Bert.
Last edited by BGMArchos on Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A70 8 | A70 250 | HTC EVO | IMX 51
matthew2582
Archos User
Archos User

Post by matthew2582 »

A70 just arrived from Archos Store - and although we are strictly an Apple Shop in our business, I am really knocked out by the build quality, sleek looks, light weight and speed. So much so, that I am giving my wife my iPad and adopting the 70 as my primary mobile and content device. And in fact, Steve Jobs notwithstanding, you can mutli finger type perfectly adequately in landscape - especially with the totally awesome BlindType

Many many thanks to tShaw1 - his instructions meant a completely perfect upgrade to Froyo, Market and Flash. Many thanks!

PS - my wife now says - 'Hmm' this is pretty hot" - maybe I just sell the iPAd and get her a 70 :D
BGMArchos
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by BGMArchos »

matthew2582 wrote:PS - my wife now says - 'Hmm' this is pretty hot" - maybe I just sell the iPAd and get her a 70 :D
I'd hold off on that one for now. My better half also likes my A70, but still wants the iPad (but is wiling to wait for the iPad 2 release to see what it looks like or the iPad price to drop).

Oh for those saying 256 MB isn't enough, ah! The iPad line has 256 MB of RAM, when I checked them out last week. If its good enough for Jobs, why isn't it good enough for Android?

(Maybe because they are different operating systems and different users. Open .vs. a closed one. The open one will need more resources because people will find more to do with it, just IMHO.)
A70 8 | A70 250 | HTC EVO | IMX 51
tshaw1
Archos User
Archos User

Post by tshaw1 »

matthew2582 wrote:A70 just arrived from Archos Store - and although we are strictly an Apple Shop in our business, I am really knocked out by the build quality, sleek looks, light weight and speed. So much so, that I am giving my wife my iPad and adopting the 70 as my primary mobile and content device. And in fact, Steve Jobs notwithstanding, you can mutli finger type perfectly adequately in landscape - especially with the totally awesome BlindType

Many many thanks to tShaw1 - his instructions meant a completely perfect upgrade to Froyo, Market and Flash. Many thanks!

PS - my wife now says - 'Hmm' this is pretty hot" - maybe I just sell the iPAd and get her a 70 :D
Well thank you.. we had a visitor today at work who gave a wonderful speech he was Jeff Davis who is Google Enterprise's Evangelist. I asked him a lot of questions one was why can't I get Chrome Browser for my Android Tablet? He said he'd bet it would be in the next release... that will improve these devices.. I've tried several browsers.. and I'm not that crazy about any of them. That would be one thing I would add to the plan.
sdho
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by sdho »

perfect step by step instructions....Got my Archos 101 yesterday and already install 2.2 with market fix.
tshaw1
Archos User
Archos User

Post by tshaw1 »

sdho wrote:perfect step by step instructions....Got my Archos 101 yesterday and already install 2.2 with market fix.
Thank you... but like I've said before I just documented & better organized what was already on the forum.. lts doing what I wanted it to do and that was to help those new to these wonderful devices. It may get crazy here after the 25th. =D>
deet
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by deet »

tshaw1 wrote:
sdho wrote: It may get crazy here after the 25th. =D>
Agreed on that point. I have posted a link to this thread on the Wiki (Generation 8 page).
A80S-V5(T1) OMAP4460 ES.1.1
DropZite
Archos User
Archos User

Post by DropZite »

Still the same process to upgrade to Firmware 2.0.71?
nochedelmono
Archos User
Archos User

Post by nochedelmono »

I know that the market hacks (gapps2 and v4) continue to work after the update to 2.0.71 when they are already installed on 2.0.54 (that is, in an update from 2.0.54 with hacks installed to 2.0.71) but are there any problems in going from 1.0.84 (with no hack installed) to 2.0.71 and then installing the market hacks? I have not been able to find a post that describes this situation.

I don't have my 101 yet (and yes, it is killing me!) so can't try this personally. Thanks.
nochedelmono
Archos User
Archos User

Post by nochedelmono »

freddy99 just posted this. It answers the question above.

"1. I upgraded from 1.0.84 and at first tried just a full reset and upgrade. It was successful but after I installed the v4 market the market would not download. Yes, I did all the fix correctly several times, multiple resets and new flashes, and tried a number of things (uninstall reinstall, clearing cache's and data, resetting routers and etc., everything you can imagine). No luck. But then I recovered the device, total format and installed 2.0.71 again and then reinstalled v4 market and everything is perfect "

Hope this helps.
sweetypie
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sweetypie »

deleted
Last edited by sweetypie on Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nochedelmono
Archos User
Archos User

Post by nochedelmono »

@Sweetypie. Yes. Did you read my question and the answer which I found in another thread?
sidd1101
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by sidd1101 »

Thank you tshaw1 and all others to have contributed to this post. Will get my 101 next week and the first thing I do is follow your steps for update and flash.

Thank you,

Sid

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
sweetypie
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sweetypie »

nochedelmono wrote:@Sweetypie. Yes. Did you read my question and the answer which I found in another thread?
I see what you mean - no, I missed your second post. If it had been me, with no posts after your original one, I'd have edited the original query post - Solved.

My mistake.
tshaw1
Archos User
Archos User

Post by tshaw1 »

http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=43642 There is new information in this thred with a url for a patched os that repairs many of the issues that came with 2.2. I decided to take the path of least resistance and handle this just like I do an update to my EVO phone... So, I downloaded and installed it without doing anything else... it worked beautifully... the only result was a much smoother running device and a new option to put your device's cpu into overdrive... where mine has been since my upgrade... I would recomend this process to you.
tshaw1
Archos User
Archos User

Post by tshaw1 »

Tommorow Tiger Direct should have my 101-16 to me and the upgrade process plan I put together at the top of this thread will need revisited! In this game a couple weeks make a big difference. A new patch, a new market, and the launcher and applications experience I've gained will most likely bring needed changes to the plan. My first thought is that I maybe can remove the entire cpu speed section if the new os build includes the overdrive feature et cetera. I need to study more in regards to the new Market and how that plays into the Step by Step Plan II.

Given the traffic this thread has received I intend to keep this thred going with appropriate notes & dates here to inform those both new and old visitors as to where we are at in regards to the evolution of our wonderful Archos devices. Obviously once the devices begin shipplng with 2.2 or 3.0 the thread will be retired.

Return to “General Archos Gen8: Archos 28, 32, 43, 70 and 101 Internet Tablets”