Step by Step Plan to Upgrade brand new Archos Devices to 2.2

General Gen8 Archos Tablet discussions
tshaw1
Archos User
Archos User

Step by Step Plan to Upgrade brand new Archos Devices to 2.2

Post by tshaw1 »

Note: 12/22/2010 ÔÇô This +++ NEW+++ Update Includes 2.2, the New Style Market, Flash and a few recommendations you may want to install. ]

If you have a brand new Archos Device and desire to upgrade it to 2.2 you may want to follow this plan. I have extracted the included steps from two sites, several threads and upgraded both my Archos 70 & my newer 101 by utilizing these or very similar steps. The Archos world continues to evolve; Archos and their customer base continue to pump out better and better fixes and os releases. Included here are the most recent. Both my devices work beautifully at 2.2. The Market, Flash, Wi-Fi and YouTube Apps all work flawlessly, they do not crash.

All credit for this document belongs to those who originally developed the Apps and procedures. IÔÇÖve just put them in a logical order hoping to help the masses who will receive new Archos devices for Christmas etc.

1) Start the Archos 70/101/etc go through the Language and Time settings etc. that appear during the first startup, these configuration are required. Do not Agree to download any applications.

2) Connect to a wireless or Hotspot WiFi network by going to the Menu>Settings>Wi-Fi and [also Wi-Fi settings] menus.

3) Once online go to Menu>Settings>About Device>System updates> Here youll check for the 2.2 firmware update it will display.

4) Agree to Download the latest firmware AOS file from Archos, in this case 2.2, download and apply 2.2 before doing anything else... this puts you exactly where you want to be... from bare-bones 2.1 to bare-bones 2.2. If asked during this install if you want a clean install, or some words of that nature, Agree.

5) When the system returns you will be at 2.2. To verify Menu>Settings>About device> Scroll down and assure that the Android version is 2.0.71 (Android 2.2.1). When youve verified that you are at 2.2 you also need to repeat Steps 1) & 2) here. Remember this was a clean install and all the previous information is gone. Again do NOT Agree to download any applications. While in Settings go to Power Management and set yourself to "Overdrive" also go to Display and move your screen timeout to 10 minutes.

6) One needs to recall that the Archos 70/101/etc devices are not Google Certified so from this point forward we will be applying some Patches [Hacks] to your device to enable several Android Apps, perhaps the most important is The Android Market, to work on your new Archos. Note: If you do not have a Google [Gmail] Account please create one before proceeding to section 2 [below].

**** Written by kenyu73 and placed here for your convenience by tshaw1 you may want to check for Updates here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=867303 ****

HOW TO INSTALL THE NEWEST ANDROID MARKET PATCH:

2.1) This download includes only the Market, Calendar, Talk, GenieWidget and "required gSync" files. Any apps that can be downloaded from the Android Market are NOT included. Honestly, this is better as it makes a smaller appInstaller package and itÔÇÖs more compatible.

You can download the following Apps from the Market once you follow the following instructions: Flash 10, Gmail, VoiceSearch, YouTube and Maps (Navigation)

SUMMARY
v5-Stable -- new style Market (2.2.7).

INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:
WARNING: If you've installed this or other gApps installers, you may have to RESET to successfully install gAppInstaller.
2.2) Go to Downloads - http://code.google.com/p/archos-apps...downloads/list Click on the Green Arrow to start the download. You are working with file gappsInstaller_5.1.apk
2.3) Access your applications drawer from your home screen and locate
the downloaded application.
2.4) Press ÔÇÿInstall Google applications.ÔÇÖ Once it takes you through the install prompt; you will need to REBOOT the device. Note: It may take you through another install prompt before rebooting, this is ok.
2.5) Follow the Market FIX instructions below
MARKET FIX:
2.6) This will get you most missing apps from the market, except some "protect market apps" like NYTimes.
2.7) Setting-->Manage Applications-->All-->Market (Clear Cache then 'Force Stop' -- DO NOT clear data)
2.8 ) Setting-->Manage Applications-->All-->Google Services Framework (Clear data then 'Force Stop')
2.9) REBOOT again

Market Fix video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l-ny...yer_embedded#!

If you do this correctly you will find most missing apps like 'Copilot Live USA' in the Market. However, some apps require certain features (like a GPS or Cell chip) and will not show up in the Market. Basically, if you search for application "MyGPS" and "MyGPS" is coded to REQUIRE a GPS chip, and then the Android market will NOT show this app in the Market for our Archos Device because it lacks a GPS chip.

DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL FLASH 10:
3-1) Press the Android Market Icon, press the search button and type Flash Player 10.1. Flash will appear in the results window. Press the icon and then the Install button at the bottom of the page.

3-2) Once downloaded and Installed your New Archos Device will be Flash enabled, this will certainly improve its web surfing experience. You may now want to verify Flash is working by going to a known Flash enhanced webpage.

ADD-ONS YOU MAY WANT TO CONSIDER:

4.1) The Zeam Launcher - is a wonderful tool that can increase your number of screens and also the number of widgets you can add to each screen. You will need to configure all your screens with widgets etc. but youÔÇÖll have your device exactly how you want it after the fact.
4.2) Fancy Widget ÔÇô provides a wonderful Clock, Date and Weather tool for your home page.
4.3) xScope 6 ÔÇô is the best Browser IÔÇÖve utilized to date I bought it I like it that much. IÔÇÖm waiting on Chrome but until then this seem to be the most comprehensive browser on the Market.
4.4) I'll have advice on a keyboard App soon I'm still testing and making sure my recent choice is working well with all the others listed above. This takes time but assures you receive good advice. 12/30

I hope this helps those who are new to Android & Archos to better enjoy their experience
Last edited by tshaw1 on Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:00 pm, edited 11 times in total.
HTC EVO, Archos 70 - Archos 101
jasdjensen
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Re: Step by Step Plan to Upgrade brand new Archos Devices to

Post by jasdjensen »

Great summary post. What kind of battery life are you getting with the CPU set to maximum?
ra7im
Archos User
Archos User

Post by ra7im »

Great post man :D

1-i also would love to know about battery life with this setup.
2-and BTW what do you think of the device's speed without setting the CPU to the max ?
3-i assume you didn't find any free alternative to setCPU , right?
sazfar13
Archos User
Archos User

Post by sazfar13 »

tshaw1 wrote:
cd /data/test/froyo/system/app
rm YouTube.apk

Nice post but

Why is it necessary to remove youtube and reinstall it? Does froyo come with an older version of youtube?
tshaw1
Archos User
Archos User

Post by tshaw1 »

jasdjensen wrote:Great summary post. What kind of battery life are you getting with the CPU set to maximum?
I came to work at 8:00am this morning and have been playing with the 70 on and off all day... my Battery is at 68% it's now 4:11pm. I'm hoping it will just make it through a day... I'll plug her in every night when I go to bed..... Thank you for your kind words please feel free to make suggestions.... I think my 101 gets shipped on the 17th... I plan to follow the same plan... I'll make adjustments where needed at that time the real brains will probably make changes between now and then... heck we may have a Archos Patch by then?!?!?
tshaw1
Archos User
Archos User

Post by tshaw1 »

ra7im wrote:Great post man :D

1-i also would love to know about battery life with this setup.
2-and BTW what do you think of the device's speed without setting the CPU to the max ?
3-i assume you didn't find any free alternative to setCPU , right?
I've owned this device for about 24 hours... so far and at both speeds I can't believe one can find this much power at such a small price.... now that the configuring is complete I'll be to answer your question a little better in a few days. And No, I didn't find SetCPU for free... but at $1.99 I'll help the cause out and buy it :)
ra7im
Archos User
Archos User

Post by ra7im »

tshaw1 wrote: I've owned this device for about 24 hours... so far and at both speeds I can't believe one can find this much power at such a small price.... now that the configuring is complete I'll be to answer your question a little better in a few days. And No, I didn't find SetCPU for free... but at $1.99 I'll help the cause out and buy it :)
okay waiting your feedback :)
oh only $1.99 :) , we paid 300$ for the device :D
tshaw1
Archos User
Archos User

Post by tshaw1 »

sazfar13 wrote:
tshaw1 wrote:
cd /data/test/froyo/system/app
rm YouTube.apk

Nice post but

Why is it necessary to remove youtube and reinstall it? Does froyo come with an older version of youtube?

I think that apk comes with the Market package... it just does not work... I tried adding it to the main page and even had a heck of a time removing it from the screen... I wrote silly rabbit who sent me the rm YouTube.apk steps... Everyone has been a great help to me here... I had never even seen a 70 before yesterday... the above effort is an attempt to pay forward for the help this board provided me.
tshaw1
Archos User
Archos User

Post by tshaw1 »

ra7im wrote:
tshaw1 wrote: I've owned this device for about 24 hours... so far and at both speeds I can't believe one can find this much power at such a small price.... now that the configuring is complete I'll be to answer your question a little better in a few days. And No, I didn't find SetCPU for free... but at $1.99 I'll help the cause out and buy it :)
I see your point... I would prefer a switch of some sort.... much like my new Honda CR-Z... I can run in Econ mode if I want to save gas... or in Sport mode if I want to buzz around.... It should be an option!
mburton47
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by mburton47 »

Excellent guide. Is there a step by step plan for the 70/101 folks that have been using them for some time and have loaded numerous apps already?
ra7im
Archos User
Archos User

Post by ra7im »

tshaw1 wrote:
ra7im wrote:
I see your point... I would prefer a switch of some sort.... much like my new Honda CR-Z... I can run in Econ mode if I want to save gas... or in Sport mode if I want to buzz around.... It should be an option!
nice example :D but i meant that $1.99 wouldn't do any harm because it's nothing comparing to the price we paid for the device itself :D
tshaw1
Archos User
Archos User

Post by tshaw1 »

mburton47 wrote:Excellent guide. Is there a step by step plan for the 70/101 folks that have been using them for some time and have loaded numerous apps already?

Yes! There is a procedure that is documented on here that includes using the on/off and volume buttons to bring up a system menu that allows one to clear the entire system before begining the basic steps covered here. I did not conduct that procedure because my system was unmodified 2.1, right from Archos. Say for the language, timezone and WiFi settings mine was totally standard. Since I didn't follow that procedure I will defer to the experts here that have... I would however recommend that anyone going from a modified/Hacked Archos device to bite the bullet and wipe the system before the 2.2 upgrade. Your plan should include the backing up of all the 2.1 Apps that you feel will play well with 2.2. I guess given the constant movement in the Android App world I would probably be more inclined to develop a list of Apps you feel that you need and then re-download them to assure you have the most up to date code. I hope that helps you!
zrhodes
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by zrhodes »

setcpu can be downloaded from the developer for free on xda, although you have to be a member of xda to get for free.

z

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=505419
Brownrat
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Brownrat »

Thanks for this guide, very helpful.

I dont have my 101 yet but intend to follow this guide when I get it.
But I have a question,

In step 1. you mention to 'Do not Agree to download any applications.'
What applications are they, is it the various archos media players, or are they
built into the firmware?

If I follow these steps, will I not have the archos picture, music and
movie players or the appslib market? if thats the case, why do you have
to not install these apps, will it cause issues with the other steps in your guide?

I know that I can always install appslib again from the website, and get other picture,
movie and music apps as I have several on my HTC Desire, but I would like to have the
option to try the Archos ones? Maybe there is a way to install them after this guide has
been completed from apks?

or is it something completely different?

Thanks.
Archos 101 UrukDroid 0.7
xjnumb
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by xjnumb »

In stead of SetCPU, I use OverclockWidget (free on market). This one works fine on my 101. A nice touch is that it shows the current frequency in the icon on the home screen.
tshaw1
Archos User
Archos User

Post by tshaw1 »

zrhodes wrote:setcpu can be downloaded from the developer for free on xda, although you have to be a member of xda to get for free.

z

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=505419
Thank you.... I'll add this link to the above document!
tshaw1
Archos User
Archos User

Post by tshaw1 »

Brownrat wrote:Thanks for this guide, very helpful.

I dont have my 101 yet but intend to follow this guide when I get it.
But I have a question,

In step 1. you mention to 'Do not Agree to download any applications.'
What applications are they, is it the various archos media players, or are they
built into the firmware?

If I follow these steps, will I not have the archos picture, music and
movie players or the appslib market? if thats the case, why do you have
to not install these apps, will it cause issues with the other steps in your guide?

I know that I can always install appslib again from the website, and get other picture,
movie and music apps as I have several on my HTC Desire, but I would like to have the
option to try the Archos ones? Maybe there is a way to install them after this guide has
been completed from apks?

or is it something completely different?

Thanks.
I believe all the Archos media Apps are included in the firmware, when done I had both the nice full page music and picture Applications.

What you'll see at Upgrade time is a "Warning" that pops up telling you that the Applications you are going to download via that step are non-Archos Apps that they DO NOT take any responsibility for... As such and knowing I was about to install the Archos Non-Standard Android Market, which I considered more valuable than anything in the package in question, I opted to decline those additions knowing I could get comparable or better Applications from the Market. This, I'll admit, was more of a gut feeling then anything else... knowing that others had experienced many upgrade issues I attempted to eliminate anything that might pollute the processes developed by our brothers and sisters on this board. I'm happy with my results and intend to use the same process/plan when my 101 arrives unless Archos comes up with some patches... or someone else develops a better way. Please understand that I don't consider myself an Archos expert by any means... I've owned one for 48hours.... However, I am a long time IT expert and am trying to apply some best practices to this upgrade just like I would for the Top 25 Company I work for... while this may be a sub-$300 thing... its wildly powerful and sophisticated... it deserves better documentation to ease the pain of a process like this and that's what I've attempted to do here. I did my homework and relied on the many experts that reside on this board and others, gathered to me what seemed to be the Best Practices and arranged them in my opinion a logical order... it worked great, my device works great and I really hope it works for you too... Please let us know!
tshaw1
Archos User
Archos User

Post by tshaw1 »

xjnumb wrote:In stead of SetCPU, I use OverclockWidget (free on market). This one works fine on my 101. A nice touch is that it shows the current frequency in the icon on the home screen.
I'll download and try this, thank you for your input... this may be a simplified solution and could replace much of section 5 if it does not require the root process etc. I love when a Plan comes together... literally!
tshaw1
Archos User
Archos User

Post by tshaw1 »

tshaw1 wrote:
jasdjensen wrote:Great summary post. What kind of battery life are you getting with the CPU set to maximum?
I came to work at 8:00am this morning and have been playing with the 70 on and off all day... my Battery is at 68% it's now 4:11pm. I'm hoping it will just make it through a day... I'll plug her in every night when I go to bed..... Thank you for your kind words please feel free to make suggestions.... I think my 101 gets shipped on the 17th... I plan to follow the same plan... I'll make adjustments where needed at that time the real brains will probably make changes between now and then... heck we may have a Archos Patch by then?!?!?
I wanted to Update everyone on my Battery life... At near mid-night last night my Archos 70 asked to be plugged in... it was at 10%... I'm estimating that it operated at full speed for approximately half of the day [6 hours in this case]... I hammered the 70 for 12 straight hours with what I would consider very heavy use... I don't think that a normal user would utilize this Tablet as I did yesterday... consequently most will probably get much better battery life results. All I want is for it to get me through the day without having to carry a charger with me... I'll tuck it in every-night next to my bed plugged in and happily charging to better serve me when the sun comes up. :lol:
Last edited by tshaw1 on Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brownrat
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Brownrat »

thanks tshaw1, its reassuring to know that the media apps are part of the firmware.

I really wish my 101 would hurry up and be delivered.
Archos 101 UrukDroid 0.7

Return to “General Archos Gen8: Archos 28, 32, 43, 70 and 101 Internet Tablets”