The Archos "Blinking Screen of Death" - repair

General Gen8 Archos Tablet discussions
kenyu73
Archos User
Archos User

The Archos "Blinking Screen of Death" - repair

Post by kenyu73 »

Its not really a repair, but a reset (for those who don't know how to reset their device.

1) uplug your USB and Power
2) hold power for 5-10 sec until screen turns off (green light will be OFF)
3) press/hold power and volume-down until Achros screen appears
4) select (using volume up/down and power) Format System --> 'Reset Android'

OR

1) Within Android, [settings -> repair and formatting -> 'Reset Android']

This only resets the core Archos system, it doesn't erase the firmware or mounted drive data (music, pictures, etc).

Super safe to do!

This will not re-intstall the missing 3rd party apps, you'll have to do a firmware update to get those back... go here for that -
http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=42036
BGMArchos
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Re: The Archos "Blinking Screen of Death" - repair

Post by BGMArchos »

kenyu73 wrote:Its not really a repair, but a reset (for those who don't know how to reset their device.

1) uplug your USB and Power
2) hold power for 5-10 sec until screen turns off (green light will be OFF)
3) press/hold power and volume-down until Achros screen appears
4) select (using volume up/down and power) Format System --> 'Reset Android'

OR

1) Within Android, [settings -> repair and formatting -> 'Reset Android']

This only resets the core Archos system, it doesn't erase the firmware or mounted drive data (music, pictures, etc).

Super safe to do!

This will not re-intstall the missing 3rd party apps, you'll have to do a firmware update to get those back... go here for that -
http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=42036
Just a FYI: I followed the instructions at http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=42036, but didn't get the third party applications, the music, video, and manual files back. I was able to get them back by downloading and installing the HDD image zip file for my specific model. These files are at ftp://support.archos.com. In the case of an Archos 70 IT, the file name is A70 HDD contents.zip. I used the following steps to process the zip file and place the files onto my system.

1) Unzip the contents of this file on your desktop.
2) Connect your Archos Gen 8 tablet to your desktop computer.
3) Note the drive letter of the internal disk drive after you mount it.
4) Copy the folders you unzipped to the internal drive. In my case I:
4A) Opened a command line window in MS-Windows
4B) Changed to the directory with the folders to copy from the desktop to the internal drive on the tablet.
4C) Verified the drive letter of the internal drive.
4D) Used the xcopy command with the /e (copy all files and empty folders) to move the files from the desktop to the tablet. The correct location is the root of the internal drive. This is the 8 GB or 250 GB drive of an A70, 8GB or 16GB for the A101, etc. Examples of the xcopy commands are:

xcopy d:.system o:\.system /e
xcopy d:Manuals o:\Manuals /e
xcopy d:Music o:\Music /e
xcopy d:Pictures o:\Pictures /e
xcopy d:Video o:\Video

I also copied to my 16GB the zip file and the readme file to insure I kept a copy of this HDD content rebuild file with my tablet.

4E) Disconnected the USB drives.
4F) Using the Settings -> Repair & Formatting Tools, I scheduled the Startup Wizard to run again.
4G) Rebooted the tablet.
4H) Once the device finished rebooting, the startup wizard started up and I went back to the previous steps I used to run the Startup Wizard.

I hope this information helps someone.

Bert.
A70 8 | A70 250 | HTC EVO | IMX 51
kenyu73
Archos User
Archos User

Post by kenyu73 »

Interesting... I never tried the Firmware install to get the .system back but assumed that "fimware = full system"
appa901
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by appa901 »

been having similiar problems. son inadvertently did a full reset from the menu lost all the preloaded apps. when I was finally able to do a firmware update it appeared to download and work. now I am having a issure with wifi not working and when I click on the appslib icon I get a white screen. I also noticed that the other icons that were preloaded did not show up. I any one can give me some pointers or help it would be greatly appreciated this is for a 70 IT. I am frustrated and disappointed with my limited ability to fix this
thanks again of time for any help

Return to “General Archos Gen8: Archos 28, 32, 43, 70 and 101 Internet Tablets”