gAppsInstaller_v5 - Market 2.2.7

General Gen8 Archos Tablet discussions
mikealanr
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: gAppsInstaller_v5 - Market 2.2.7

Post by mikealanr »

Worked great for me! Installed on Archos 101 after doing a full reinitialisation, installed with the apps.zip folder!

Thank you very much!

MikeAlanR :)
MarcusMarcus
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by MarcusMarcus »

I installed on my 70 without the apps.zip. I reset my tablet before I installed it. Working just fine so far.
Archos 70S
Samsung GalaxyS WiFi 5.0
mellofone
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by mellofone »

Would I have to wipe clean, or just remove the old to go to v5?
Brownrat
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Brownrat »

sorry if this has already been answered,

but what is the benefit of this version over the v4 one that I have installed?
is it worth me doing a format/wipe to install it?

cheers.
Archos 101 UrukDroid 0.7
mikealanr
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by mikealanr »

Just a point on youtube. I was experiencing the problem that the youtube app kept closing, i tried removing the app using the terminal emulator, however it couldn't find the folder. When i went into the Market youtube wasn't showing as installed, however when i searched for it, instead of giving me an install option, it gave me an update option. Installing the update has fixed the force close issue for me.

MikeAlanR :)
ArchosGamer
Archos User
Archos User

Post by ArchosGamer »

Brownrat wrote:sorry if this has already been answered,

but what is the benefit of this version over the v4 one that I have installed?
is it worth me doing a format/wipe to install it?

cheers.
Version 5 comes with the new version of Android / Google Market, and has the possibility of not needing a reset if you update in the future to a new revision of gAppsInstaller. Version 5 also breaks the wifi locator function. It doesn't add any new programs or spectacular new features, and given the nature of what the gAppsInstaller is (a streamlined way to install Google market) it is unlikely future versions would include any new programs or features.
If you're already running the newest version of Google Market (2.2.7) then there is no reason to install version 5 of the installer. Even if you're not running the newest version of Google Market it is already being remotely deployed as an update to older versions, so you'd get it eventually.
broken Archos70
Titanium 80 comming
viking

Google market v4 -> v5 experiences? (kenyu upgrade)

Post by viking »

It looks like there is a fresh new stable marketplace fix, but only speculation and no feedback on exactly how to get there for folks that have the earlier v4 from xda kenyu http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=867303

Can folks relate here experiences on the upgrade v4->v5, and the exact steps needed (eg. covering any uninstalls and if you did a reset, exactly when it was done, and if it really seemed needed or if you did on a whim).

Caveats:
Not interested in how to load v5 from scratch; that is clearly documented.
Not interested in other ways to get app updates - I specifically want kenyus new fixes to things like voicesearch
I don't yet post this in the sticky above because it is so drowning in alternate approaches that this issue will get lost.
a101g9 a70g8 an10g2 sg42 sg5 voy115
viking

Re: Google market v4 -> v5 experiences? (kenyu upgrade)

Post by viking »

footnote: I realize a v3 upgrade would be a drastic, scorched earth process in any case, but my point was v4 kenyu market was supposed to be uninstallable for the first time. But his v5 comments don't seem to confirm this - can't you just uninstall first, and how much exactly do you uninstall?
Harfainx

Re: Google market v4 -> v5 experiences? (kenyu upgrade)

Post by Harfainx »

I'm merging this with the thread from Kenyu.
Trix13
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Trix13 »

I seem to know what I'm missing now... I'm missing the "Google Service Framework" from the V5 hack... Anyone tell me why? or what I am doing wrong to be missing this needed app to install it?
Julalliano
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Julalliano »

I did the v5 install (just got my new A70). Working great, thanks kenyu. But each time I do the market fix, I get the wifi error. No more wifi connection. The only way to solve it is to reset android and perform the whole thing again... without the market fix. If somebody have an explanation.... thanks.
Julien
loganss
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by loganss »

Trix13 wrote:I seem to know what I'm missing now... I'm missing the "Google Service Framework" from the V5 hack... Anyone tell me why? or what I am doing wrong to be missing this needed app to install it?
You are probably trying to go from v4 to v5 without a reset of Android. The same thing happened to me. I tried just uninstalling v4 but once i installed v5 market would launch then immediately disappear and when i went to applications there was no google frameworks. I reset androod and all was right w the world.
A101-8GB | N1
jutley
Archos User
Archos User

Post by jutley »

you cant unistall you have to format archos completly then install new v5 trust me on this/.
sweetypie
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sweetypie »

jutley wrote:you cant unistall you have to format archos completly then install new v5 trust me on this/.
I trust you.

Tell me though. What's the benefit of V5 over my (fully?) working V4? Is there something I don't know?

Will the Market in V4 update itself automatically to the shiny new interface? Does it matter? Is there life on Mars?
MarcusMarcus
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by MarcusMarcus »

sweetypie wrote:
jutley wrote:you cant unistall you have to format archos completly then install new v5 trust me on this/.
I trust you.

Tell me though. What's the benefit of V5 over my (fully?) working V4? Is there something I don't know?

Will the Market in V4 update itself automatically to the shiny new interface? Does it matter? Is there life on Mars?
I have not noticed a benefit yet with v5 over when I had v4, just looks prettier. I believe market should update itself automatically to the newer interface. Mars is a distraction, while we are looking toward Mars, the inhabitants of Venus are plotting their attack on us.
Archos 70S
Samsung GalaxyS WiFi 5.0
sweetypie
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sweetypie »

Beware the mounds of Venus. They contain untold terrors for the unwary ...
viking

Post by viking »

sweetypie wrote: Tell me though. What's the benefit of V5 over my (fully?) working V4? Is there something I don't know?

I think the v5.1 fix is vital, even though I don't care about any aesthetic changeover. Maybe someone can confirm with kenyu on the xda forum how important it is to do the painful migration from v4 to v5, but this is what I gathered from wading thru it.
kenyu on xda forum dec22 wrote:I've uploaded v5.1 to address the Gtalk and other issues some have posted. I had thought I could re-sign all files and things would be good, but I guess re-signing them removes Googles signature and hence causes other issues... so 5.1 contains the files with the signatures unchanged.

It's really in beta as NetworkLocation is still broken and I cannot figure why.
From this and other posts I gathered there are hidden framework thingies that caused for instance the horrible v4 malfunction from using voicesearch. I don't care if something misbehaves when you use it (then simply uninstall), but this was sneaky and virtually bricked your device just from unknowingly running in background. Of course serge fixed the location issue, but that was working in v4.
viking

Post by viking »

Update: The GTALK issue above was only from version 5 to 5.1. But a key change from the first xda post from v4 to v5.1 was removal of a warning about VoiceSearch to an encouragement to using it among other things:
You can download the following from the Market -- Gmail, VoiceSearch, YouTube and Maps(Navigation)
I'm not just concerned about that single VS app problem from V4, but it may be symptomatic of a more general problem in V4. The malfunction was so profound that you almost couldn't see any way to recover other than throwing the tablet away. Maybe the underlying v4 problem also accounts for known weird misbehavior in other apps like gallery. And it was easy to forget the danger and see that voicesearch was rated so popular, give it a try (sucessfully) then keep it to sabatoge your system over time.
sweetypie
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sweetypie »

I got fed up going round in circles with all the threads and versions of that app. I stopped when kenyu73 said that V4 was the final stable release, and V5 was in Beta.

I can't see myself using VS ever, and definitely not Gtalk, whatever the problem with it. I don't have it, and don't want it. Gallery works normally for me. Everything seems to work perfectly. I just don't get it.

To have to rebuild the A101 from scratch would be a complete pain. I just can't see the benefit.

I suspect from what he said somewhere that kenyu73 has done with this until Gingerbread or something, but I wish, if that's the case, that he would write a final definitive "chapter" explaining why / how to go from V4 to V5 (as somebody else here has requested).

Return to “General Archos Gen8: Archos 28, 32, 43, 70 and 101 Internet Tablets”