what video does play on these? workaround for $40 plugin?

General Gen8 Archos Tablet discussions
geebee
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

what video does play on these? workaround for $40 plugin?

Post by geebee »

So I bought this A70 mostly to play videos that I recorded from live TV at the gym. I knew it would not play Hulu or Netflix, but figured I could drag and drop from Windows Media (dvr-ms files) or WinTV (ts files). But it seems I need the plugin, and $40 just seems like a ripoff after buying this thing.

So a few questions. Just what videos does this thing play? Is there a cheap or free way to get my files into a format that will play on it?

GB
tECHNGRO
Archos User
Archos User

Re: what video does play on these? workaround for $40 plugin

Post by tECHNGRO »

I just make sure my videos are encoded with anything other than AC3. Its easy to do if you are encoding yourself. If you are downloading video files, most have info files that tell you whether the audio is AC3 or not. And a lot of downloads also have small sample files (usually 15-20 MB) so you can just download those and test them on your A70 before you download the full video.

It works out well for me anyway, because most of the files that don't use AC3 are much smaller. I had Alice in Wonderland 720p version that was 4+ GB, but it had AC3 and wouldn't play without the plugin. But the non-AC3 version I downloaded was only 2GB, but still looks excellent on the 7" screen.

Hope that helps.
digibucc
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by digibucc »

re-encode.
SUPER video encoder is free and good, though a bit complicated for new users.

i have actually had no problems - it has played all videos i've tried no issues, pretty much every one is divx/xvid & mp3, or x264 & mp3.... I don't have surround on my tv so i just encode them stereo from the start.

aside from re-encoding, your only option is buying the codecs, for now. at some point someone will release free versions of what they can - but in cases like AC3 where the codec is proprietary that will be illegal, so even then it won't be as easy as downloading from market...
macemoneta
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by macemoneta »

I use Handbreak with x264 video and mp3 audio to a .mkv file when I encode. Xvid, and flv also play just fine.
micmcguire
Archos User
Archos User

Post by micmcguire »

macemoneta wrote:I use Handbreak with x264 video and mp3 audio to a .mkv file when I encode. Xvid, and flv also play just fine.
Format factory is also free and works great. Actually much faster at encoding than handbrake (at least on my computer)
macemoneta
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by macemoneta »

micmcguire wrote:Format factory is also free and works great. Actually much faster at encoding than handbrake (at least on my computer)
Format factory is Windows-only, Handbrake is Win/Mac/Linux. I'm not having any encoding speed issues; Handbrake uses all four of my CPU cores so it seems pretty fast.
micmcguire
Archos User
Archos User

Post by micmcguire »

macemoneta wrote:
micmcguire wrote:Format factory is also free and works great. Actually much faster at encoding than handbrake (at least on my computer)
Format factory is Windows-only, Handbrake is Win/Mac/Linux. I'm not having any encoding speed issues; Handbrake uses all four of my CPU cores so it seems pretty fast.
Excellent point, about the Mac vs. Windows. A little off topic but when I use Handbrake to convert a movie to mp4 it takes almost exactly the amount of time it takes to watch the movie. (1-2 hours), how long does it take on your mac machine?
Last edited by micmcguire on Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zalman
Archos User
Archos User

Post by zalman »

Yeah US HDTV broadcasts are MPEG-2 video and AC3 audio (whether in .ts files or .ms-dvr files) which are the two formats Archos sells you a plugin for.

If you want to re-encode them I've successfully re-encoded my .ts files easily with Media Coder to both XviD AVI files and h.264 MP4 files. As re-encoders go its pretty easy to learn and has plenty of presets and will let you queue up a dozen files and just encode overnight.

If anyone does try the plugin once it's available and working, I would like to know if it can play raw 720p .ts files (as 1080i we should assume is out of the question).
macemoneta
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by macemoneta »

micmcguire wrote:Excellent point, about the Mac vs. Windows. A little off topic but when I use Handbrake to convert a movie to mp4 it takes almost exactly the amount of time it takes to watch the movie. (1-2 hours), how long does it take on your mac machine?
I use Linux (Fedora 14), and it usually takes about 20-30 minutes to convert a 2hr movie depending on the source.
675 Trip
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by 675 Trip »

micmcguire wrote:
macemoneta wrote:I use Handbreak with x264 video and mp3 audio to a .mkv file when I encode. Xvid, and flv also play just fine.
Format factory is also free and works great. Actually much faster at encoding than handbrake (at least on my computer)
Do you have recommended settings for which format and settings for an archos 101 - US

I'd like to put my videos on tv with hdmi sometimes and would like to set format factory and just use a known good settings setup to convert everything.

My first test is with a 25 min 640x480 video and it looks like it will take 7 min to complete the conversion using mkv h.264 with aac (just trying to make sure it's compatible). weird that all the mkv settings are 25fps

oops went back and looked and actually used mpeg4 divx setting for video
d00b
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by d00b »

Weird that peeps insist on redoing the entire video, when they only need to convert the audio. Guess they prefer the degraded fidelity.

http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.p ... 4&p=284775

For your 25min clip, 1 min to convert. Select "no video recode."
xguntherc
Archos User
Archos User

Post by xguntherc »

I use DVDFab.. u put in a movie, weather I own it, or it's a rebox (I didn't say that)

I choose DVD to Mobile, and it does the rest.. you can select the resolution, fit it for our devices, even raise the volume so our phones will play it loud enough.. Works great.
Archos 101 8GB
Nexus One
AndroidHD2
micmcguire
Archos User
Archos User

Post by micmcguire »

macemoneta wrote:
micmcguire wrote:Excellent point, about the Mac vs. Windows. A little off topic but when I use Handbrake to convert a movie to mp4 it takes almost exactly the amount of time it takes to watch the movie. (1-2 hours), how long does it take on your mac machine?
I use Linux (Fedora 14), and it usually takes about 20-30 minutes to convert a 2hr movie depending on the source.
Wow that is screaming fast. I am jealous. My 3 ghz dual core with 3 gb ram (win 7) sounds like it is going into labor every time I use it with handbrake. My source is usually vob files in a TS directory.
micmcguire
Archos User
Archos User

Post by micmcguire »

xguntherc wrote:I use DVDFab.. u put in a movie, weather I own it, or it's a rebox (I didn't say that)

I choose DVD to Mobile, and it does the rest.. you can select the resolution, fit it for our devices, even raise the volume so our phones will play it loud enough.. Works great.
I have DVD FAB (free version) been using it for yrs, thought about paying for it to get the other features but never had heard from anyone who had used the other features.

Would you mind telling more about your overall experience with it? (what you like vs. what you don't)

Return to “General Archos Gen8: Archos 28, 32, 43, 70 and 101 Internet Tablets”