easy market install on Froyo Firmwares: the apk way!

General Gen8 Archos Tablet discussions
fanofyou
Archos User
Archos User

Re: easy market install on froyo 2.0.54 firmware: the apk wa

Post by fanofyou »

fanofyou wrote:
kenyu73 wrote:
StealthX wrote: I also have an A28 2.2 (gApps4Archos2.apk) that I use only as a cached Slacker music player, I'll install v4 on it too. My A70 2.2(v4) is stable and working well now. I'll probably do some experimenting with the A28 though, since I don't have much installed on it.
Let me know how it turns out on the A28. The Cyanogen packages are broken down into different device sizes so I might have to package a custom gAppsIntaller_v4 for the A28 and A32 devices.. not sure though. If there's an issue with your A28 (GUI wise) let me know.
Kenyu,

do you know a way to get the music app from the Samsung galaxy phone to work on the archos? I love the look of this music player.

Any help would be appreciated... thx
Can anyone else help with this?
101luva
Archos User
Archos User

Post by 101luva »

mild7drftr wrote:
thearcher wrote:Hi All, just got my archos 101, is there anychance somebody could tell me in REALLY REALLY simple terms how I can get android market on my device and what is "froyo" and should I put it on before market and if so , how do I do that as well ????? Please help !!

But must be in REAL laymans terms , I AM a real computer thicko !!!!!

Thanks and keep up the good work
First and only question.

Have you even *tried* to go through this complete thread?

Just try it just once. What you will find, I assure you, is quite a bit of useful information in it (much of which will help answer your question). I'm not trying to be difficult, but I think everyone would agree trying to summarize 14 pages worth of comments is a bit tiresome (and old).

8)
I know you and some others must be frustrated with having to answer the same old questions, but your response, mild7drftr, is a big reason why people such as myself, who have no experience with this, hesitate to ask questions. We don't want to make an ass out of ourselves and then be condescended to when all we want/need is information. This doesn't come as easy for some of us as it does for you and most everyone else on this board. Sure, we can read every freakin post here on the forum, but there is a ton of information out there and some of it is downright confusing. I can't tell you how many different directions I've read on here for putting the market on the device. "Use this.apk, no, don't use that one, use this one, or, do it this way, no, do it this way, etc. Maybe there are different ways of doing the same thing, but to a novice, it's frustrating knowing what to do and whose advice to take. I just read an answer to a post that advises AGAINST updating to Froyo "if you are not comfortable with computers." What??? I thought you were suppose to do an update as soon as you get your device, so how are we going to move on to the next step if we're 2 steps behind? There is no "1 place" in this forum that contains the needed information in a chronological way that makes sense for people like me or "thearcher." It's ALL OVER the place and everyone has their opinion on the way to do something. There is too much information to sort through and make sense of and so we ask questions. It's not something anyone should be ashamed of. It's not as easy as you think it is when you are trying to educate yourself by asking questions, and then someone comes along and makes you regret it.
appa901
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by appa901 »

just received the Archos 70 internet tablet I am prettynew to all this. I need some step by step instructions on how to load the android marketplace onto the new Archos this is for my 10 year old for christmas and help would be appreciated

Thank you in advance to all
fanofyou
Archos User
Archos User

Post by fanofyou »

appa901 wrote:just received the Archos 70 internet tablet I am prettynew to all this. I need some step by step instructions on how to load the android marketplace onto the new Archos this is for my 10 year old for christmas and help would be appreciated

Thank you in advance to all

After trying a few different ways I am suggesting you go with kenyu mkt instructions. Search for his here or for him on XDA DEV wedsite in archos section.
sweetypie
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sweetypie »

101luva wrote:
mild7drftr wrote:
thearcher wrote:Hi All, just got my archos 101, is there anychance somebody could tell me in REALLY REALLY simple terms how I can get android market on my device and what is "froyo" and should I put it on before market and if so , how do I do that as well ????? Please help !!

But must be in REAL laymans terms , I AM a real computer thicko !!!!!

Thanks and keep up the good work
First and only question.

Have you even *tried* to go through this complete thread?

Just try it just once. What you will find, I assure you, is quite a bit of useful information in it (much of which will help answer your question). I'm not trying to be difficult, but I think everyone would agree trying to summarize 14 pages worth of comments is a bit tiresome (and old).

8)
I know you and some others must be frustrated with having to answer the same old questions, but your response, mild7drftr, is a big reason why people such as myself, who have no experience with this, hesitate to ask questions. We don't want to make an ass out of ourselves and then be condescended to when all we want/need is information. This doesn't come as easy for some of us as it does for you and most everyone else on this board. Sure, we can read every freakin post here on the forum, but there is a ton of information out there and some of it is downright confusing. I can't tell you how many different directions I've read on here for putting the market on the device. "Use this.apk, no, don't use that one, use this one, or, do it this way, no, do it this way, etc. Maybe there are different ways of doing the same thing, but to a novice, it's frustrating knowing what to do and whose advice to take. I just read an answer to a post that advises AGAINST updating to Froyo "if you are not comfortable with computers." What??? I thought you were suppose to do an update as soon as you get your device, so how are we going to move on to the next step if we're 2 steps behind? There is no "1 place" in this forum that contains the needed information in a chronological way that makes sense for people like me or "thearcher." It's ALL OVER the place and everyone has their opinion on the way to do something. There is too much information to sort through and make sense of and so we ask questions. It's not something anyone should be ashamed of. It's not as easy as you think it is when you are trying to educate yourself by asking questions, and then someone comes along and makes you regret it.
Agreed.

And, knowing all that, what would you like mild7drftr to do about it, other than recommend that you, like everyone else here, just read the various possible solutions, try them out until you find one which suits you, then report back about the one which works for you?

Do you want him to add to the already large list of those who recommend one solution over another? And have others add their agreement / disagreement?

As you've said yourself, quite clearly, there is more than one solution, and you pays your money and takes your choice.

Just get stuck in and have a go. Then, once you have tried one, or all, and have encountered problems, post those problems here, stating which solution you're following, and maybe someone who is up to speed with that solution can comment on your problem. Who knows? You may not have any problems with your first choice. You won't know unless you try. You won't break it, whichever one you choose. The moral is, don't wait until the "ideal" solution is arrived at by polling everyone here - just have a go yourself.

The opinion about whether or not to upgrade to Froyo is just that - yet another opinion. However, it is an important opinion, because that upgrade is a one-way street. No going back. So read carefully about the possible pitfalls before taking that particular plunge. We learned that hard lesson on the A5IT forum.
fanofyou
Archos User
Archos User

Post by fanofyou »

Dang....I would have thought with a name like sweetypie you would have ended that with some.... XOXOXOXO
:badgrin:
bburnett1219
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by bburnett1219 »

Why do people getting tired of people asking the same questions? It is a forum for peats sake and people are suppose to come here to ask questions and hopefully get some answers and not a hard time. People don't need to answer every question and if they are tired of people asking the same question then just read it and move on; don't need to be a prick about it. People get an Archos device and where can they go for answers? They can call Archos tech support but you are not going to get the in depth help you will get from this forum because of all the real world experiences of everyone that owns a device already. It isn't like these people are asking for your first born, your social security number or you home address.... If you want to help then help but if you don't then I think it is best not to say anything and move on to reading the next post.

If I haven't been reading this bored a month or so before I got my devices I would be in the same boat as most of these people; upgraded to 2.2 and then sit around and ask "What do I do now"? Isn't that what you do with any new device, make sure it is up to date? These devices are not as easy as a Galaxy Tab or Android phone since you don't have the market, without the hack.

Just my 2 cents...
fanofyou
Archos User
Archos User

Post by fanofyou »

bb--- I agree. The forum should be about just questions and answers. If that was the case it would be a lot easier to locate solutions to specific problems. Especially when there seems to be 20 diff solutions to one problem spread all over the place.

CLEAN and PURGE..... =D>
sweetypie
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sweetypie »

Like everyone else, I was in the same position 12 months ago with my A5IT.

I knew nothing about Android. I read the posts, tried things, failed, asked questions, got answers, tried again (and again ....).

I learned from people who took the time to help me, because they could see I was trying to help myself. You know "God helps those who help themselves"?

In some of my 2000 odd posts, I tried to give something back, in gratitude to those who helped me help myself. In some others I just wanted to inject some ridiculous humour, to lighten the mood. I have a healthy sense of the absurd.

There are plenty of people here who are only too pleased to offer help and advice. But if you want help, please try to help yourself first. Otherwise all the opinions, advice, etc are just a big theoretical source of argument.

Have a go! Then feed back to the community.

:idea:

EDIT:

Oops, another post since I started writing this one.
fanofyou wrote:bb--- I agree. The forum should be about just questions and answers. If that was the case it would be a lot easier to locate solutions to specific problems. Especially when there seems to be 20 diff solutions to one problem spread all over the place.

CLEAN and PURGE..... =D>
The fact is, this is YOUR forum - it's a DIY job. Who exactly do you expect to "CLEAN and PURGE" for you? Nobody owes you anything, you get out what you put in, yada yada yada ...

The Wiki is the DIY place to summarise these disparate discussions, and record the "agreed" solution. But don't expect anyone to do it for you. If you want it done, do it yourself.
fanofyou
Archos User
Archos User

Post by fanofyou »

ummm yet another example of a longtime forum member sticking their foot on your forehead when asking for help.

No need for a tit for tat here.

but

let me explain my point above as your defensiveness is getting in the way of rational thinking....too much info spread out... it would be helpfull to try to limit discussions in a thread about an important topic to questions and answers in order to avoid the unnecessary sarcasm from the gurus of the forum when someone new has a hard time locating info..perhaps it is easier to just say look it up yourself than actually having an answer.. :roll:

PS i was not pointing my original comments towards you so there was no need for you to shoot your sarcasm at me......

Mod Edit:
I tried to handle this in a PM and it didn't work. So:

If you look back as Sweety Pie's posts (which you can do in an Advanced Search) you will find:
1. She asked questions.
2. She answered questions.
3. She did the research.
4. She has an amazing Sweety Pie sense of humor cherished by many of us on the forum.

This forum is not just about questions and answers. People meeting here do go on to know each other and some of us forming friendships outside of the forum.

AFAIC Sweety Pie's answer which led to this post was honest and sincere, in no way putting anyone down.

UNLIKE this post which puts her down.

Chill Dudes and Dudettes! Some of you have come into our house and you're trashing it. [-X [-X Walk slowly, and speak softly, at first.

Thanks,

Allen
Farsquidge
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Farsquidge »

fanofyou wrote:ummm yet another example of a longtime forum member sticking their foot on your forehead when asking for help.

No need for a tit for tat here.

but

let me explain my point above as your defensiveness is getting in the way of rational thinking....too much info spread out... it would be helpfull to try to limit discussions in a thread about an important topic to questions and answers in order to avoid the unnecessary sarcasm from the gurus of the forum when someone new has a hard time locating info..perhaps it is easier to just say look it up yourself than actually having an answer.. :roll:

PS i was not pointing my original comments towards you so there was no need for you to shoot your sarcasm at me......
Yet another example of a new member (lit) commenting on a long (established) term contributors reasonable comments to defend their point.
We only try to help!!!
This forum (Archosfans?) is fast losing credibility as it is TRUELY fans of Archos no matter what happens... We should not embrace problems with excuses!
Time to go, see you sweetypie et al!
Off back to XDA where sensibilty reigns.
605Wi, A5IMT, A5IT, A7o 8GB:2.4.82
fanofyou
Archos User
Archos User

Post by fanofyou »

One more example.... =D>
Farsquidge
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Farsquidge »

fanofyou wrote:One more example.... =D>
Enjoy what you are leaving yourself with, while you can. Byeee!!! :lol:

OH, BTW, arrogant people can get marked as 'Not Friend' in any users control panel so when they REALLY want an answer to a serious fault/question, it never gets seen...

Not that I will be here to do that!!! :D
fanofyou
Archos User
Archos User

Post by fanofyou »

Fudge...

I believe in trying to help someone get the answers they need rather than pushing them aside. And to try to spin that as arrogance to try to make a point. [-X. I believe most who read the above exchange will see that.
Now as far as why the site. Might loose credit as you say will probably be because alot of newbie members are getting sarcastic answers to the question they ask.

As someone else above said.. If you don't have an answer than you should not post.. sounds simple to me. Not arrogance.
sweetypie
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sweetypie »

fanofyou wrote:One more example.... =D>
Don't worry, fanofyourself, no more examples. The forum's all yours. Enjoy...
Farsquidge
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Farsquidge »

fanofyou wrote:Fudge...

I believe in trying to help someone get the answers they need rather than pushing them aside. And to try to spin that as arrogance to try to make a point. [-X. I believe most who read the above exchange will see that.
Now as far as why the site. Might loose credit as you say will probably be because alot of newbie members are getting sarcastic answers to the question they ask.

As someone else above said.. If you don't have an answer than you should not post.. sounds simple to me. Not arrogance.
Sorry, but you have actually fallen into your own trap there by posting a non-thread point. It's just how it happens pal.

Again, bye was just expecting that kind of reply. sigh!!! :roll:
AllenPapapetrou
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by AllenPapapetrou »

This whole line of discussion between old members and new members shows the danger of a little bit of knowledge. So here I am making another trash post because of the ignorance of new members who should be discussing things through Private Messages instead of in the forum.

STOP IT. DEFER TO LONG TIME MEMBERS, MOST OF THE TIME THEIR APPROACH AND INFORMATION IS GOOD.

Allen
-An old geek 8)
5IT|A70S|A101
AllenPapapetrou
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I finally installed 2.0.54 on my A70S. I've left my A101 at 1.0.84 as I'm still testing 2.0.54. I installed the Droid X version of Flash and am fairly satisfied with the result.

Then I got to the Market install. I did what I usually do:
1. Waited until a number of folks had reported back (bleeding edge isn't that much of a hobby of mine now)
2. Found this topic and read the OP, version 4 was now out and discussion moved to XDA Developer's Forum.

At XDA Developer's I:
1. Gave thanks that I was in a forum with a higher signal to noise ratio
2. Read the entirety of kenyu73's OP about v4 and the complete discussion
3. Followed his OP instructions easily and smoothly
4. Enjoyed having the Market back in 2.2

On my WinVista Box I followed my normal logging of significant activities for my A70S.

The date of my 2.0.54 install was 11 Dec. The date of 2.0.54 from Archos was 30 Nov. The date of my Market install was 12 Dec. The date of kenyu73 XDA Developers post was 9 Dec; The Date of the OP of this topic was 30 Nov.

Bottom Lines:
I haven't had any significant issues with the Market or 2.0.84. Which I feel is because I waited and watched. Obviously somebody has to lead in testing new releases. I do recommend less experienced folks wait and watch before installing. For me with 2.0.54 the wait was 11+ days, and 12+ days for the Market.

Allen
-An old geek 8)
5IT|A70S|A101
bburnett1219
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by bburnett1219 »

Thanks for the info Allen! Do you notice any slowness or did you z4root? Also, did you reformat your device first or just put 2.2 on top of 2.1 with the OTA update?
AllenPapapetrou
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

bburnett1219 wrote:Thanks for the info Allen! Do you notice any slowness or did you z4root? Also, did you reformat your device first or just put 2.2 on top of 2.1 with the OTA update?
Hi bburnett1219,

I did OTA to 2.0.54 and followed the Archos install instructions EXACTLY. I did the recommended RESET When the Install Process Called for It,and I did the Third party install.

My A70S came with 1.0.84 and I did not reformat. I did not uninstall anything including the Google Apps from the Eclair Market hack since Archos said all installed Apps would be Wiped by RESET.

BTW, I have never calibrated the touchscreen. I've only calibrated the accelerometer during the mandatory Install - same for my A101, which still runs 1.0.84.

Hope this helps,

Allen
-An old geek 8)
5IT|A70S|A101

Return to “General Archos Gen8: Archos 28, 32, 43, 70 and 101 Internet Tablets”