easy market install on Froyo Firmwares: the apk way!

General Gen8 Archos Tablet discussions
StealthX
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: easy market install on froyo 2.0.54 firmware: the apk wa

Post by StealthX »

kenyu73 wrote:No clue. It seems the clear cache method has different results all around. I had Flash show up initially, I installed it then it disappeared from the Market. Sometimes I have to do the Market fix over after it was working.

Try running the Market fix again.. then again and again.. Until it shows up. I've heard that sometimes works. Someday soon I'll research why the Market does what it does and hopefully find a perm fix.
It would be nice to understand the reasons, but I expect you already have enough on your plate to do. I tried the Market Fix four more times without success. So I side loaded Flash instead, which worked fine. The down side of this method is that I'll likely have to manually update Flash when there is an update. Not a big deal since I'll know there is an update via the DX.
Archos A70S & Motorola Droid X.
StealthX
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by StealthX »

kenyu73 wrote:I'd recommend reading though the thread here and then read though the posts here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=867303

The later is my appsInstaller which I think is better then this one, but you decide.. ;)
Having used both, I'd vote for your version, gAppsInstaller_v4.apk.
StealthX
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by StealthX »

In an interesting twist, this time around SwiftKey DOES show up in Market. The last time I had to side load it. ](*,)
bhmm
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by bhmm »

StealthX wrote:
kenyu73 wrote:No clue. It seems the clear cache method has different results all around. I had Flash show up initially, I installed it then it disappeared from the Market. Sometimes I have to do the Market fix over after it was working.

Try running the Market fix again.. then again and again.. Until it shows up. I've heard that sometimes works. Someday soon I'll research why the Market does what it does and hopefully find a perm fix.
It would be nice to understand the reasons, but I expect you already have enough on your plate to do. I tried the Market Fix four more times without success. So I side loaded Flash instead, which worked fine. The down side of this method is that I'll likely have to manually update Flash when there is an update. Not a big deal since I'll know there is an update via the DX.
StealthX & Kenyu...I did not post this since I thought people have figured this out....Here's the trick

The Market Fix will give you some apps but will take away other apps. What you need to do depending on apps you're looking for is to run the Market Fix and if you want go back to the original state before the Market fix all you need to do is: add clear Data.
Setting-->Manage Applications-->All-->Market: Clear Cache, CLEAR DATA then 'Force Stop'. No REBOOT NEEDED. Just go ahead launch Market again and you will be back to the state before the fix. So for me I can get Flash & TVU before I do the Market fix but not Google Maps and Youtube. So I do the Market fix to get them. To undo it and go back to initial state I do the steps above. you can switch back and forth.
Setting-->Manage Applications-->All-->Google Services Framework (Clear data then 'Force Stop')

The third issue is "protected apps" No solution as of yet on that one. I've tried editing by build.prop with root explorer without rebooting. Root explorer would say the change are successfull but the would not change. Of course a reboot would wipe any changes since it's temp root.
StealthX
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by StealthX »

bhmm wrote:StealthX & Kenyu...I did not post this since I thought people have figured this out....Here's the trick

The Market Fix will give you some apps but will take away other apps. What you need to do depending on apps you're looking for is to run the Market Fix and if you want go back to the original state before the Market fix all you need to do is: add clear Data.
Setting-->Manage Applications-->All-->Market: Clear Cache, CLEAR DATA then 'Force Stop'. No REBOOT NEEDED. Just go ahead launch Market again and you will be back to the state before the fix. So for me I can get Flash & TVU before I do the Market fix but not Google Maps and Youtube. So I do the Market fix to get them. To undo it and go back to initial state I do the steps above. you can switch back and forth.
Setting-->Manage Applications-->All-->Google Services Framework (Clear data then 'Force Stop')

The third issue is "protected apps" No solution as of yet on that one. I've tried editing by build.prop with root explorer without rebooting. Root explorer would say the change are successfull but the would not change. Of course a reboot would wipe any changes since it's temp root.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'd hesitated to try Market Clear Data, for fear it might do something bad. I'll give it a try the next time I run into this problem.
StealthX
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by StealthX »

My A70 is configured and working very well now. After a reboot CPU usage is at 300 MHz/2% based on Temp+CPU Pro, truly idle. :D

I reinstalled about 2/3 of the apps I'd installed before, for about 40 apps now. I have a better idea of what I want on it, so this setup is better than the prior one too.

To summarize, I used gAppsInstaller_v4.apk to install Market after a "Full reinitialization", and the Market Fix. The couple of apps I had to side load are different than last time. I did not try Market Clear Data yet. I also did not use z4root yet, will do that next week.

Kenyu, thanks again for your suggestions, they were helpful. :D
BGMArchos
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by BGMArchos »

appman wrote:A simple explaination please
New to the forum; I just received my 101 yesterday 12/9
I've been trying to get an A101 16 GB, since the first week of October. I think it is great you got yours. How / When did you get yours?

Bert.
A70 8 | A70 250 | HTC EVO | IMX 51
ArchosGamer
Archos User
Archos User

Post by ArchosGamer »

StealthX wrote:

I was going to recommend installing the APK uploaded by GregMattersen (until Archos releases their version) since people have had the smoother performance from that version (over the one available on the market) on the Gen8. Don't know if that's the one you side loaded or not, but if you experience any flash issues it might be worth giving the one in the thread linked below a shot:
http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.p ... 72#p284672
broken Archos70
Titanium 80 comming
appman
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by appman »

I ordered it on 11/21/10 through Amazon. Arrived 12/9/10. What does sideloaded mean and how is it performed?
kenyu73
Archos User
Archos User

Post by kenyu73 »

appman wrote:I ordered it on 11/21/10 through Amazon. Arrived 12/9/10. What does sideloaded mean and how is it performed?
You get the app (ex: Gmail.apk) copy it to your sdcard/internal memory (available when you 'mount' your device via usb). Once you copy it and then unmount your device (unplug your usb for example) you can use the 'Files' application to click on in to install that program.
Sergej
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Sergej »

Hi Folk,

with this version of NetworkLocation.apk
http://rapidshare.com/files/436244380/N ... cation.apk

now the wifi location works on my A70 ! :)

bye

Sergio
BGMArchos
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by BGMArchos »

Sergej wrote:Hi Folk,

bye

Sergio
Sergio,

Thanks for the information and the link.

Can you, please, tell us more about this application? Does it have a home or support page? Is it available elsewhere than via the above link?

Bert.
A70 8 | A70 250 | HTC EVO | IMX 51
kenyu73
Archos User
Archos User

Post by kenyu73 »

BGMArchos wrote:
Sergej wrote:Hi Folk,

bye

Sergio
Sergio,

Thanks for the information and the link.

Can you, please, tell us more about this application? Does it have a home or support page? Is it available elsewhere than via the above link?

Bert.
NetworkLocation.apk is a core gApp file. If this is broken in the gApps4Archos2 installer, then yet again... start over and use my gAppsInstaller_v4... I just tested and my WiFi location pegged me at home within 20 meters.

gAppsInstaller_v4 - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... to=newpost
StealthX
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by StealthX »

kenyu73 wrote:NetworkLocation.apk is a core gApp file. If this is broken in the gApps4Archos2 installer, then yet again... start over and use my gAppsInstaller_v4... I just tested and my WiFi location pegged me at home within 20 meters.

Is the reason that WeatherBug Elite (and Rainy Days) didn't work in v3 and gApps4Archos2 due to the missing NetworkLocation.apk?
kenyu73
Archos User
Archos User

Post by kenyu73 »

StealthX wrote:
kenyu73 wrote:NetworkLocation.apk is a core gApp file. If this is broken in the gApps4Archos2 installer, then yet again... start over and use my gAppsInstaller_v4... I just tested and my WiFi location pegged me at home within 20 meters.

Is the reason that WeatherBug Elite (and Rainy Days) didn't work in v3 and gApps4Archos2 due to the missing NetworkLocation.apk?
No, that's part of the core apks and has always been there. The main reason some of the Market apps crashed was because of missing framework files (similar to DLL files). Another reason was that alot of the core apks were pieced together from different devices which I believe caused incompatibilities. My v4 apks are actually compatible Cyanogen files.
StealthX
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by StealthX »

kenyu73 wrote:
StealthX wrote:Is the reason that WeatherBug Elite (and Rainy Days) didn't work in v3 and gApps4Archos2 due to the missing NetworkLocation.apk?
No, that's part of the core apks and has always been there. The main reason some of the Market apps crashed was because of missing framework files (similar to DLL files). Another reason was that alot of the core apks were pieced together from different devices which I believe caused incompatibilities. My v4 apks are actually compatible Cyanogen files.
Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense. There are certainly a lot of details to learn under the hood! I also have an A28 2.2 (gApps4Archos2.apk) that I use only as a cached Slacker music player, I'll install v4 on it too. My A70 2.2(v4) is stable and working well now. I'll probably do some experimenting with the A28 though, since I don't have much installed on it.
kenyu73
Archos User
Archos User

Post by kenyu73 »

StealthX wrote: I also have an A28 2.2 (gApps4Archos2.apk) that I use only as a cached Slacker music player, I'll install v4 on it too. My A70 2.2(v4) is stable and working well now. I'll probably do some experimenting with the A28 though, since I don't have much installed on it.
Let me know how it turns out on the A28. The Cyanogen packages are broken down into different device sizes so I might have to package a custom gAppsIntaller_v4 for the A28 and A32 devices.. not sure though. If there's an issue with your A28 (GUI wise) let me know.
StealthX
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by StealthX »

kenyu73 wrote:
StealthX wrote: I also have an A28 2.2 (gApps4Archos2.apk) that I use only as a cached Slacker music player, I'll install v4 on it too. My A70 2.2(v4) is stable and working well now. I'll probably do some experimenting with the A28 though, since I don't have much installed on it.
Let me know how it turns out on the A28. The Cyanogen packages are broken down into different device sizes so I might have to package a custom gAppsIntaller_v4 for the A28 and A32 devices.. not sure though. If there's an issue with your A28 (GUI wise) let me know.
I just put gAppsIntaller_v4 on it after a full initialization, installed Slacker from Market, and I'm currently caching music. No issues so far, but I'll give you another update after I've done more testing with it. There are a handful of other apps I want to put on it, but that probably won't be today.
dues
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by dues »

yankee wrote:It might be easier for some people to go to FREEWARELOVER.com and download appinstaler to their pc.. then transfere it either to the archos or put it on a microsd card...install this after changing to Froyo..then when you load the gapps it should appear on appsinstaller.
The forum also has about 4 versions of the new gapps...cab someone sort them out as to which work the easiest and which have problems...I and others would appreciate it.
=D>
let me please correct you a bit, the correct address of the free android apps site is:
www.freewareloverS.com

otherwise you would just face some parked domain
fanofyou
Archos User
Archos User

Post by fanofyou »

kenyu73 wrote:
Kenyu,

do you know a way to get the music app from the Samsung galaxy phone to work on the archos? I love the look of this music player.

Any help would be appreciated... thx

Return to “General Archos Gen8: Archos 28, 32, 43, 70 and 101 Internet Tablets”