How to "reformat" and "reinstall" firmware from scratch

General Gen8 Archos Tablet discussions
withfeeling
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Re: How to "reformat" and "reinstall" firmware from scratch

Post by withfeeling »

Are you using the right USB connector on the A101? I haven't done the upgrade yet, so I'm not sure, but I assume you must use the microUSB connector (which is a client), not the full-size USB connector (which is a host).
kenyu73
Archos User
Archos User

Post by kenyu73 »

If your at this screen, your good. This means you should have a valid USB connection to copy your file over.
frankws
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by frankws »

withfeeling wrote:Are you using the right USB connector on the A101? I haven't done the upgrade yet, so I'm not sure, but I assume you must use the microUSB connector (which is a client), not the full-size USB connector (which is a host).
I thought the Archos comes with a cable to connect to your computer. :^o
withfeeling
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by withfeeling »

kenyu73 wrote:6) Your device should be automatically be mounted (A70S internal drive) in Windows (Linux too I'm sure)
I have tried to connect A101 with my notebook by "USB male to male" cable...but A101 shows: USB Connection: Press OK to disconnect, therefore, i couldn't hook up with both....What can i do??
When he said, "USB male to male", without saying microUSB, I was wondering what cable he was using. We all have a bunch of different USB cables hanging around. :)
slong589
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by slong589 »

Well I attempted this. And it won't re-load. I get a white screen with the recovery options. Won't go to the USB install. Any suggetions?
ws818
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by ws818 »

withfeeling wrote:Are you using the right USB connector on the A101? I haven't done the upgrade yet, so I'm not sure, but I assume you must use the microUSB connector (which is a client), not the full-size USB connector (which is a host).
I have solved the problem already..thx a lot...brothers.

Actually, I forget there is a bundle microUSB-2-USB cable....and now...i've reformatted the A101 and installed 2.2. I found it is now smoother than default 2.1.

Until now, one of the improvements I look for is.....to increase the size of RAM.....Is it possible to increase the RAM by using the capacity of Hard-disk or Micro-SD card?
bosbrucec
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by bosbrucec »

kenyu73 wrote:KEYS:
Volume = Up/down menu
Power = Enter

** Plug in your Power Cord, its required! **

** First make sure to backup all your multimedia files (and apps if you want) **

1) download the firmware here: http://update.archos.com/8/gen8/gen8_2. ... d_gen8.aos

2) shutdown your device by tapping power, then selecting power down or holding the power for 5-10 seconds

3) hold the volume down and power button until you get the Archos splash screen

4) Select Format System --> Reformat Device--> Select "I Understand"

5) Once format is complete, you'll then you'll be in USB firmware Recovery

6) Your device should be automatically be mounted (A70S internal drive) in Windows (Linux too I'm sure)

7) Copy your downloaded 'aos' file from step 1 into the root of the 'A70S' named drive letter

8) Press OK (power) to continue once the copy is completed (plug in power cord)

9) Firmware update begins

That's it, you now have a super fresh restore of your system! You can format/install previous firmwares too. The 'aos' file is deleted automatically once the update is completed.

Use this at your own risk. It's pretty straight forward, but if you reformat and cant for whatever reason copy the 'aos' file to your internal memory, you've pretty much bricked your device and will need Archos support more then likely.

There are also some non-extreme options, such as 'reset android' in there as well.

Rumor has it that your can't go back to prior firmware, but I don't see why not if you do reformat, but I haven't tried personally.
1.0.84 firmware (2.1 Eclair)
http://update.archos.com/8/gen8/gen8_1. ... d_gen8.aos

Have fun!
Having stumbled across the 1.0.84 firmware myself after days of frustration with buggy froyo, I attempted to do this with the 1.0.84 firmware (or at least the firmware at that location on archos' servers!), and the firmware update install failed twice. I repeated the exact same procedure with the buggy 2.0.54 firmware and it installs just fine. So now I'll have to decide if I can tolerate all the laggy behavior of froyo and give up the apps that now lock up or if I want to return this device. Overall with Eclair I was pretty happy with the device, though I must say the keyboard responsiveness is *horrible* in both Froyo and Eclair (fine for movies/slideshows/music, not so fine for web browsing or email). I'm too picky to tolerate the major hiccups in Froyo so if there isn't a quick fix for the top 3/4 issues I'm afraid I'll be sending this back and waiting for a wifi-only Galaxy Tab...

Thanks for the writeup though - it briefly gave me hope I could ditch this Froyo mess and get back to Eclair...
matthew747
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by matthew747 »

Am I the only one who is having a really hard time figuring out from this thread whether this process works or not to get back to Eclair? Can anyone verify this gets people back to 2.1 if they want. Thanks.
FZelle
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by FZelle »

There is NO way back.
101luva
Archos User
Archos User

Post by 101luva »

Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:40 pm New post Re: How to "reformat" and "reinstall" firmware from scratch
Am I the only one who is having a really hard time figuring out from this thread whether this process works or not to get back to Eclair? Can anyone verify this gets people back to 2.1 if they want. Thanks.
There is NO way back.
Just sayin', but...you've got to be kidding me. My 101 is due any day now but my excitement level has been cooled quite a bit. How the hell is a NORMAL freaking person suppose to be able to use this device? Everyone is so busy reformatting this, rebooting that, clean installing this, downloading that :x for crying out load, we're not all geeks!!!! I thought this place would help but all it does is make everything more confusing. I've gotta believe none of this is necessary and you guys (and gals) just can't be happy with the device the way it is and just want to hack, hack, hack away. I'm not talking about updating and installing the Market either. All this other stuff just seems ridiculous and takes away all the fun of having a device like this. It's not meant to be so much work, but you'd never know it reading this stuff.
kenyu73
Archos User
Archos User

Post by kenyu73 »

101luva wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:40 pm New post Re: How to "reformat" and "reinstall" firmware from scratch
There is NO way back.
Just sayin', but...you've got to be kidding me. My 101 is due any day now but my excitement level has been cooled quite a bit. How the hell is a NORMAL freaking person suppose to be able to use this device? Everyone is so busy reformatting this, rebooting that, clean installing this, downloading that :x for crying out load, we're not all geeks!!!! I thought this place would help but all it does is make everything more confusing. I've gotta believe none of this is necessary and you guys (and gals) just can't be happy with the device the way it is and just want to hack, hack, hack away. I'm not talking about updating and installing the Market either. All this other stuff just seems ridiculous and takes away all the fun of having a device like this. It's not meant to be so much work, but you'd never know it reading this stuff.
The device is fine out of the box, most people who buy this device will never even visit the forums. These forums, especially the highly techy ones ARE for advanced nerds like me and others. We LIKE to tamper and play with the advanced stuff.

You're not required to read these or use said hacks and fixes. If they confuse you, then don't read them, call Archos support for help. I personally love learning and tinkering! ;)
nochedelmono
Archos User
Archos User

Post by nochedelmono »

I am a "normal freaking person" and I cannot tell you how much I have learned from the people on these forums - and I don't even have my device yet! Can't wait till it arrives and I can actually start playing with it. If you don't want to do anything to your device but turn it on and use it, it will probably be fine. BUT you can learn a lot from the people here and, after all, a little knowledge is never a bad thing.
101luva
Archos User
Archos User

Post by 101luva »

nochedelmono wrote:I am a "normal freaking person" and I cannot tell you how much I have learned from the people on these forums - and I don't even have my device yet! Can't wait till it arrives and I can actually start playing with it. If you don't want to do anything to your device but turn it on and use it, it will probably be fine. BUT you can learn a lot from the people here and, after all, a little knowledge is never a bad thing.
Well, to one "normal freaking person" to another, I've also learned a lot from most everyone here and I'm certainly grateful for all the advice. If there is anyone that needs it, it's yours truly. :D
I have no doubt I will learn to enoy using my 101 and come to love what it is capable of, but I think (for me) I will just have to take those "baby steps" and work up to being the Archos guru that everyone here seems to be...or is well on their way to becoming.
joeb690
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by joeb690 »

T
Last edited by joeb690 on Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
BGMArchos
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by BGMArchos »

kenyu73 wrote:KEYS:
Volume = Up/down menu
Power = Enter

** Plug in your Power Cord, its required! **

** First make sure to backup all your multimedia files (and apps if you want) **

1) download the firmware here: http://update.archos.com/8/gen8/gen8_2. ... d_gen8.aos

2) shutdown your device by tapping power, then selecting power down or holding the power for 5-10 seconds

3) hold the volume down and power button until you get the Archos splash screen

4) Select Format System --> Reformat Device--> Select "I Understand"

5) Once format is complete, you'll then you'll be in USB firmware Recovery

6) Your device should be automatically be mounted (A70S internal drive) in Windows (Linux too I'm sure)
Hi,

I decided to bite the bullet and move from the original application installer to the much better one by kenyu73. As he says in his thread, one needs to clean up the device and get rid of all the old files. Turning to this thread, I started the process and am stuck in recovery mode in step #5.

The format works fine, but once it completes I don't end up with the device automatically mounted in Windows. I am using the micro USB-A male to USB-A male cable that came with the tablet.

NOTE: The cable worked fine with the table and my workstation when I had an Android and Linux operating system installed on the tablet.

After the format is complete I hear a ding sound from the Windows system that sounds like it just recognized an USB device.

The tablet's screen says USB Connection: Press OK to disconnect. The only option there is ok.

After pressing OK, I head another sound from the Windows system like an USB device being dismounted. I get the message saying the Update failed (1)

- - - -

To solve this problem thus far I tried rebooting my Windows system. Oh, it is a Dell Precision 390 system running MS-Windows XP Pro x64 (64-bit as the system has 8 GB of RAM). This didn't fix anything.

I also tried it out on my Dell 9300 laptop, which is running Windows XP Pro x32 (32-bit). It didn't even do the ding sounds, btw.

-----

At this point, sign, I have a very sick tablet. I can't even turn it off. Yeah, pressing the power button only results in it rebooting and not turning off.

Please, I hope and pray someone out there is able to help me get back on track to getting my system back up and running.

Thank you,

Bert.

UPDATE:

I also have the same failure when I do a Repair System -> Start USB MSC
A70 8 | A70 250 | HTC EVO | IMX 51
guoloong
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by guoloong »

Hi BGMArchos,

I actually have a similar experience as yours.

"After the format is complete I hear a ding sound from the Windows system that sounds like it just recognized an USB device."

I was wondering what to do at this point because after hearing the ding sound nothing pops up. Took me some time to figure it out.

At this point, do not press OK to disconnect yet. Open file explorer on your PC and you should see a new drive mounted (this is your tablet). Copy the aos file on to the root of this drive.

When this is done, press OK on your tablet to disconnect and update will continue.
BGMArchos
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by BGMArchos »

guoloong wrote:Hi BGMArchos,

I actually have a similar experience as yours.

"After the format is complete I hear a ding sound from the Windows system that sounds like it just recognized an USB device."

I was wondering what to do at this point because after hearing the ding sound nothing pops up. Took me some time to figure it out.

At this point, do not press OK to disconnect yet. Open file explorer on your PC and you should see a new drive mounted (this is your tablet). Copy the aos file on to the root of this drive.

When this is done, press OK on your tablet to disconnect and update will continue.
Well, <blank> me!! That was it!!

Thank you so very much!!

Honestly, I didn't take the meaning of the screen in the way they meant it. Obviously, I'm dense, but then again the page could be a little more user friendly.

Bert.
A70 8 | A70 250 | HTC EVO | IMX 51
Nomar
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Nomar »

thanks so much for the excellent guide, i reinstalled Froyo this way and for some reason, it is running much much smoother then just upgrading it via the Android Settings interface! thats without using the CPU speed hack!

also got android market and flash 10.1 working, tested BBC iplayer and it works!
Birkoff
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Birkoff »

Hi All. Please help me. When I first started my Archos 70, I did not install the 3rd party apps in the startup wizard. I updated to the 2.2.1 Froyo, but I cannot install these apps now, when I choose "Install" in the startup wizard, this message appears: "Sorry, found no application to install".

I downloaded the newest AOS 2.0.71 from Archos site and I installed this new firmware. I pressed volume and power buttons, started the recovery, choosed "Format System" and "Reformat Device". Then I connected the Archos to my tPC, copied AOS there, the firmware 2.0.71 was installed and again, during the startup wizard, if I want to install the 3th party apps: "Sorry, found no application to install". :(
Birkoff
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Birkoff »

It is here: ftp://support.archos.com/A70%20HDD%20contents.zip

Birkoff wrote:Hi All. Please help me. When I first started my Archos 70, I did not install the 3rd party apps in the startup wizard. I updated to the 2.2.1 Froyo, but I cannot install these apps now, when I choose "Install" in the startup wizard, this message appears: "Sorry, found no application to install".

I downloaded the newest AOS 2.0.71 from Archos site and I installed this new firmware. I pressed volume and power buttons, started the recovery, choosed "Format System" and "Reformat Device". Then I connected the Archos to my tPC, copied AOS there, the firmware 2.0.71 was installed and again, during the startup wizard, if I want to install the 3th party apps: "Sorry, found no application to install". :(

Return to “General Archos Gen8: Archos 28, 32, 43, 70 and 101 Internet Tablets”