List of Bluetooth tethering phones that work on Froyo

General Gen8 Archos Tablet discussions
tommyukuk
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: List of Bluetooth tethering phones that work on Froyo

Post by tommyukuk »

I can get our really old motorola v3i to pair and work without a problem, but our newer sansung genio s3650 will pair but not connect, it will pair ok, and the phone will ask if you wish to allow a DUN connection, but once you press accept it refuses, and only allows to bluetooth connection access to the phone book and sending pictures etc.. bit crap really but not a lot can do eh..
mr-mac
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by mr-mac »

Samsung omnia pro wm6.5

Bt works using internet sharing app on phone
usb doesn't work
modern_life
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by modern_life »

Hi,
Nexus One rooted with Cyanogen 6.0 + Wireless tether app(free on the market)
A70 - Last Froyo update

Tethering via Bluetooth works is magic, as i can keep my phone in my pocket and surf the web with my A70 in subway(in Paris).
I didn't try with wifi cos it should hit my battery much more than Bluetooth, and didn't have a host usb cable.
But really it rocks. I think that the app on the phone is important coz i tried with another one and it wasn't working.

Laurent
dclaryjr
Archos User
Archos User

Post by dclaryjr »

My office is a tough place for phone reception, but there seems to be a sweet spot on a shelf above me where I get a usable signal. My Nexus One sits there, and I use the A70 on my desktop connected via hotspot. At least that's how it worked on 2.1. I'm waiting for an RMA unit--hope it works as well with 2.2.
regso
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by regso »

Archos 101
firmware : latest one

Phone : HTC Magic (32A), rooted
tether app: wireless tethering v2.05 RC (from google develop webpage)
bluetooth tether : work

* Before I have updated the phone OS to CM6.1, by using app wireless tethering, only v2.05 work with tether by wifi to my computer and my Archos 101 never work either by wifi or bluetooth. In the phone bluetooth setting page, it always show "paired but cannot connect". After updated the phone OS to CM6.1, in the phone bluetooth setting page, it shows "paired, but not connect". And it can be works by using bluetooth tethering option in Wireless tethering app.
wyattr.hicks
Archos User
Archos User

Post by wyattr.hicks »

Anyone know of any Virgin mobile phone that work. this could prove really useful to me.
koukobin
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by koukobin »

I am an AT&T customer and i have the HTC TILT 2 (Touch Pro 2). I updated the phone to the latest stock rom from HTC web site (FOR SOME REASON TETHERING WAS FAILING BEFORE THAT) and i modified the pre-configured connection "AT&T ISP" as follows:

apn: wap.cingular (it was isp.cingular), username: [email protected] (if i remember correct it was [email protected]), password: CINGULAR1 (case sensitive). Then i chose this conection as default internet connection (by default AT&T devices are using the MEdia Net connection).

i paired the phone with my Archos 70 tablet and then created a bluetooth profile. It gives the choice only for DUN. You will have to manually add the apn to archos which will have to be: wap.cingular (username and password left empty). After that, i was able to tether through bluetooth my tablet to TILT 2. I used a speed test and results was about 450kbps download and 100kbps upload. Not very bad.

The only thing concerns me, if what i did is really allowed by AT&T. Tether is supposed to achieved through the non-modified "AT&T ISP" connection - isp.cingular (AT&T provides tethering plan for that which is very expensive - 60$ per month). So i am avoiding using this connection. I am having it only for emergencies :)
jasdjensen
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by jasdjensen »

Blackberry users:

please check this thread. http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=45238
and this one: http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=45206

I'd like everyone to echo the advice given to archos support. If we all register complaints to Archos Customer service, maybe they will fix the tethering process to include Blackberries.

Thanks!
danintx
Archos User
Archos User

Post by danintx »

I finally mamaged to get tethering to work on my Archos 70.

Samsung Epix, WM 6.5 (xda rom 28008.5.3.0) on AT&T

Paired both via BT.
Made phone Discoverable.
Went to connection sharing on phone.
Turned on ICS.
Go to tethering page in A70 settings.
Click Tether.
Phone tries to re-pair.

Once it re-pairs, tether is successful.
Last edited by danintx on Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
A70-8|ADWLauncher|SlideIT Keyboard
mvl
Archos User
Archos User

Post by mvl »

Archos 43
Software 2.0.71
Phone Motorola Razr v3xx
Carrier AT&T
apn: wap.cingular (top one on list when prompted in pairing process)

Tethering works fine, except for below:

When cellular reception dies (eg: driving into a deadzone), the Archos untethers, and the phone's bluetooth crashes. I can no longer use bluetooth for anything unless I power-cylce the Moto Razr.
UniMatrix
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by UniMatrix »

jasdjensen wrote:<snip!>

I'd like everyone to echo the advice given to archos support. If we all register complaints to Archos Customer service, maybe they will fix the tethering process to include Blackberries.

Thanks!
I think everybody having tethering problems in general should file a support case. Put the pressure on :evil:

Just using the device on the couch with wifi is not why I bought it; I wanted big screen internet on my daily commute and having an Android phone and seeing all the tethering apps I assumed it would be a piece of cake to tether. Now it turns out most phones except a select number of completely hacked phones [rooted, custom roms, etc.] just don't work.
Mustang394
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by Mustang394 »

I think everybody having tethering problems in general should file a support case. Put the pressure on :evil:

Just using the device on the couch with wifi is not why I bought it; I wanted big screen internet on my daily commute and having an Android phone and seeing all the tethering apps I assumed it would be a piece of cake to tether. Now it turns out most phones except a select number of completely hacked phones [rooted, custom roms, etc.] just don't work.
Am I missing something here? If you have to hack phone to get it to work how is that a problem with Archos? Seems to me it is your carrier who is trying to block the ability.

For instance my iphone with factory firmware will not tether, jailbroken it tethers, not archos fault at&t is blocking the ability so I should be mad Archos yeah that makes sense.....
A70 | A101
sweetypie
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sweetypie »

UniMatrix
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by UniMatrix »

Mustang394 wrote:

Am I missing something here? If you have to hack phone to get it to work how is that a problem with Archos? Seems to me it is your carrier who is trying to block the ability.

For instance my iphone with factory firmware will not tether, jailbroken it tethers, not archos fault at&t is blocking the ability so I should be mad Archos yeah that makes sense.....
I can tether my laptop to my not-rooted phone using pdanet on the phone and no other software on my laptop than standard Windows 7 BT DUN after pairing the two... So why should I blame my phone or operator?

If the Archos adhered to the same standards it should connect using BT DUN; it doesn't. Many other users have this problem; they can tether their laptop but not the Archos.

So it's logical to look at Archos, sorry... -1 for the two previous posts.
sweetypie
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sweetypie »

UniMatrix wrote: I can tether my laptop to my not-rooted phone using pdanet on the phone and no other software on my laptop than standard Windows 7 BT DUN after pairing the two... So why should I blame my phone or operator?

If the Archos adhered to the same standards it should connect using BT DUN; it doesn't. Many other users have this problem; they can tether their laptop but not the Archos.

So it's logical to look at Archos, sorry... -1 for the two previous posts.
And I can tether my laptop AND ALL MY ARCHOSES to my non-rooted phone. So Archos's BT DUN works for me. At least in a pass / fail, go / no go sense. My A101's tether performance could be better, in making an initial connection. Once connected it's fine.

So what exactly is your proof that Archos is doing something wrong?

I'm learning from another thread (in my innocence) that "rooting a phone" doesn't have the same meaning as "rooting an Archos". It appears that "rooting a phone" is code for hacking your phone in such a way that you can avoid paying the legitimate charges for a data connection to your phone operator.

However, I do agree that, if your phone has inbuilt tether capability (sharing of your internet connection), and your connected mobile phone operator allows this, then your Archos should tether with no difficulty.

My A101 has paired ok with my phone (eventually), and does "connect by tethering", but it can take up to 20 attempts to make the connection. My own hypothesis (and that's all it is of course) is that the BT signal strength is too low. My other Archoses tether just fine (A5ITs).

I know that the Froyo BT stack includes more BT protocols than the Donut one, so maybe the difference is in there somewhere. I do hope so. I'm hoping for an improvement via FW.

Maybe they'll take the hint from the forum after all.
dervari
Archos User
Archos User

Post by dervari »

I just downloaded an App that allowed me to make a direct change to the WiFi configuration file to allow me to use LEAP to authenticate on my access points.

This got me thinking...

If an App can update a WiFi configuration file directly, is it possible for an App update the PPP chatscripts directly?
-----
Richard
Sr Network Engineer
dervari
Archos User
Archos User

Post by dervari »

sweetypie wrote: So what exactly is your proof that Archos is doing something wrong?
Actually, the Blackberry issue is a problem with the way Blackberry implemented the command set in the IP Modem module. However, the OS should be able to be tweaked in order to accommodate different init and dialing strings.
-----
Richard
Sr Network Engineer
Kain
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Kain »

Tablet:
Archos 70
Froyo 2.0.54

Phone:
Orange San Francisco, running Froyo (Modaco-ROM)

App
Wireless Tether 2.0.5
happy4ya
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by happy4ya »

I also sent them a support letter about this issue. Here is another letter if anyone would like to use it (some bits and pieces from other posts so thanks to all who have been posting):
I really need your help in getting BT tethering with Blackberries working. One of the main reasons I bought this tablet was because you advertised BT tethering as one of the BIG features on your website and this was a BIG selling point for myself and plenty of other people from posts I've seen on Archosfans.com and other sites. Please refer to the following links:
http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=45238
http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=45206

It appears that someone basically gave your staff a very good (free) hand in what needs to be done to make this work and they blew it off. When you advertise BT tethering as a main feature and then cannot tether to one of the most popular phones in the world that is false advertising and definitely is not making using this tablet a positive experience. I really like this tablet BUT because anytime I'm out of a wifi area it turns into a useless non-internet device I'm considering getting rid of it and looking for an alternate product.

Please don't disregard this message and send me a pre-written form letter. I believe the info in the link above could fix the Blackberry tethering issue and make a lot of happy Archos owners while not negatively affecting any other devices. Thanks.
I hope they actually read these and do something about it.
UniMatrix
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

What they are doing wrong

Post by UniMatrix »

http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archo ... g=en&p=3#3
Tethering (Using your portable phone as a modem)
Want to be connected anywhere? Just plug your mobile phone equipped with 3.5 G & BluetoothÔäó technology, simply pair it up to your ARCHOS 101 internet tablet via BluetoothÔäó or even via USB cable. This will give you easy access to Internet directly on your device anytime and anywhere. ThereÔÇÖs no need to pay an extra fee when you already have a data service plan***.
That's what they are doing wrong. "Just plug in", "simply", "easy acces". Yeah right...

It should read something like this:
Tethering (Using your portable phone as a modem)
Want to participate in a lottery? Root, jailbreak, hack (or whatever) your phone, install third-party apps on it and if you're lucky (after pressing connect 20 times) your tablet might just simply and easily connect to the internet!*** If you own one of the many phones that just don't work... Hey, sorry for for the misleading advertising that made you think you could just connect! But you bought the thing already so why should we care?

***Please check community websites for phones and software that are reported to work, otherwise DO NOT contact ArchosÔäó support because even if you can connect other devices to your phone it's still your phone or dataplan that's at fault and not your wonderfull ArchosÔäó tablet. DO NOT put your complaints on a forum, we have people roaming the forum to try to make you think it's still your fault and not ours.

Return to “General Archos Gen8: Archos 28, 32, 43, 70 and 101 Internet Tablets”