List of Bluetooth tethering phones that work on Froyo

General Gen8 Archos Tablet discussions
Unsinkable II
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: Archos 101 tethering

Post by Unsinkable II »

My A70 is "paired but not connected" to both my MacBook Pro and my Xperia X10, so no dice with bluetooth...

After rooting my phone, I can turn it into a wireless hotspot using barnacle. The MacBook hears the wifi signal and connects to it flawlessly, the A70 doesn't even hear the signal... no dice with wifi...

Rather annoying as tethering was the big selling point to me.
Unsinkable II
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Re: List of Bluetooth tethering phones that work on Froyo

Post by Unsinkable II »

You're most welcome to summarize this thread, or are you expecting someone to do it for you? ;)

Me: Xperia X10 2.1 and A70
Tether? NO.
Harfainx

Re: Archos 101 tethering

Post by Harfainx »

I'm merging this thread with another one that's been in existence for much longer.

Please don't open duplicate threads (especially when one is a sticky) :doubt:
flumpsy
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by flumpsy »

I have a HTC Touch Pro 2 and it wont tether through bluetooth because i get the APN wrong.
But its the same as the phone uses :S
My brand is Vodafone, Holland, and the APN should be live.vodafone.com
Can anyone help me out, because I was really looking forward to using my arcos anywhere on the web.
tnx :D
jbanks25
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by jbanks25 »

took the long way around on this one... It worked, then I upgraded tablet and it didn't, then I upgraded phone and it did...

Archos 101
OS Eclair
Phone G1 Rooted
OS CM6 Stable
Wireless No
USB No
Bluetooth Yes

Archos 101
OS FroYo 2.2.1
Phone G1 Rooted
OS CM6 Stable
Wireless No
USB No
Bluetooth No

Archos 101
OS Froyo 2.2.1
Phone G1 Rooted
OS CM6.1 Stable
Wireless No
USB No
Bluetooth Yes
garryf
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by garryf »

iphone 3gs, jail broken with tetherme add on

procedure is as follows
1. start tethering on iphone
2. open bluetooth in iphone
3. tell a70 to pair
4. confirm on both devices
5. it will say paired but not connected
6. on the a70 go into "cell phone tethering"
7. click on tether and it should connect

only problem I have now is it's all connected, but the a70 doesn't seem to be getting a network connection :( no data services working, anyone any ideas?

Edit: I tried reconnection a few times and it's working now, pretty nice :)
rglick64
Archos User
Archos User

Post by rglick64 »

Successfully tethering A70 with US Verizon Wireless Blackberry Tour 9630

Blackberry OS V 5.0.0.732

A70 Firmware 2.0.71 (also worked under 2.0.54)

APN: <10-digitphonenumber>.vzw3g.com

Tethers very reliably
drinkluder
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by drinkluder »

Phone: Huawei Ideos
Bluetooth: no
USB: nope
Wifi hotspot: yes

Bought this phone recently for the sole purpose to have it as a modem to my 101. Was dissappointed to discover that neither bluetooth or usb-tethering works. I guess it doesn't matter if you have a froyo device. It must be a hardware issue?
luckyday
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by luckyday »

I have G1 phone, try to connect to A101.
Both devices see each other. After enter the code 1234 on both devices for pairing. But they are never pairing. Anyone knows the problem, please help!
sweetypie
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by sweetypie »

Nokia N97 Bluetooth Tethers ok (eventually) with A101.
Kiki
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Kiki »

Phone:
Nokia 6600 slide
s40

Tablet:
A101 latest firmware

works great
UniMatrix
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by UniMatrix »

*This is mainly about tethering an Android phone and an Android tablet*

Phone: SE X10 Mini
Android 2.1
Temporary root possible

Tablet: Archos 101
Android 2.2.1 (Archos 2.0.71)

Results:
WLAN: no
BT: no
USB: no

Mind you: using several apps I can tether my Windows 7 laptop successfully using any of the above methods. In my opinion this proves the phone side, my provider or data plan is not the problem.

This leaves us with two options why I can't tether my tablet:

1. The apps used don't support the 'standards' used by Archos / Android (2.2.1)
2. Archos / Android 2.2.1 doesn't confirm to standards that the apps use.

In the first case the developers of the tethering apps should get their act together and build support for the Archos gen8 tablets running Android 2.2.1. In the second case Archos should put more effort in making BT/USB tethering work on their products. I think all users on this forum that want to tether should create support calls to the main 'tether-app-developers' and Archos to get the pressure on. Personally for me the primary use for the tablet would be internet on the go and seeing all the apps in the market on my phone I assumed this was going to be no problem. Now it turns out it only works with some very specific (rooted) phones :evil:

There are several 'tethering' options:

1. Wireless (WLAN)
2. Bluetooth (DUN/PAN)
3. USB (DUN)

Wireless

If your phone or the app you're using provides an 'infrastructure'-type of WLAN access point your lucky, it will work. For example phones with native mobile access point capability (like my collegue's HTC).

Any other app will turn you Android phone into an 'ad-hoc' access point but Android cannot connect to an ad-hoc access point :( Nice loop: Android can only create an ad-hoc network but can only connect to an infrastructure network.

Apps affected:
Barnacle http://szym.net/barnacle/ requires root
Wireless Tether http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/ requires root, requires supported phone

Bluetooth

There are 2 options; DUN (Dial-up networking) and PAN (Personal Area Networking). I have not been able to successfully tether my tablet using any of these methods.

-I run the app on the phone,
-I pair the devices with BT,
-They show 'paired but not connected',
-I choose 'Cell phone tethering' from settings on the Archos, I choose Bluetooth,
-The phone shows up as tethering capable and paired,
-I follow the wizard, no apn found so I enter the one that's on my phone and the profile is complete (PDAnet = DUN, Wireless Tether for root users = PAN)
-I select 'tether'
-PDAnet shows nothing on the phone side an I get the message 'Could not connect by tethering'
-I can see the tablet connecting on the phone and within the app (Wireless Tether)
-I am 'successfully tethered' but because my kernel is not supported there is no traffic possible. (Wireless Tether)

Apps affected:
PDAnet http://www.junefabrics.com/android/
Wireless Tether http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/ requires root, requires supported phone

USB

Only DUN here. Should work pretty much the same as bluetooth.

-I run the app on the phone,
-I connect the devices by USB cable,
-I choose 'Cell phone tethering' from settings on the Archos, I choose USB,
-I follow the wizard, no apn found so I enter the one that's on my phone and the profile is complete,
-I select 'tether'
-All kinds of stuff is happening on my phone and the archos (USB debugging connected / mass storage / etc.) (PDANet, Easytether)
-But in the end tethering fails with the dreaded 'Could not connect by tethering' message. (PDANet, Easytether)

Apps affected:
PDAnet http://www.junefabrics.com/android/
EasyTether http://www.mobile-stream.com/easytether/android.html

So that leaves me with no way to tether after trying all the mainstream apps. Who is to blame? I find it strange that I can easily connect my laptop using Barnacle, PDAnet or Easytether but that my Archos tablet fails to do so with any of them through WLAN, Bluetooth or USB. I'm starting to believe this is a flaw in the tablet's software. On the other side, if any of the developers make their app work I'll readily pay the couple of bucks for the full version.

If there are any solutions or apps that I haven't tried I'll be happy to include them :D
felixsoh
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by felixsoh »

Wifi Tethering didn't work for a long time. Tried all things. Can connect, but just didn't able to get the internet websites via the browser.

Finally got it to work by doing this... Connect the Archos to wireless hotspot of the phone. Then reboot the Archos. Once rebooted. It worked!!! :)

Phone: HTC Desire HD
Archos 70.

Both on Froyo and the lastest firmware.
StealthX
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by StealthX »

Archos A70S - 2.2.1 (2.0.71)
Motorola Droid X - 2.2.1 (2.3.340.MB810)
Bluetooth Tether

I setup Bluetooth tether via the Archos instructions, but getting it to work has been problematic. Also tried Wireless Tether in Bluetooth mode (great app, works well with my notebooks), but also with mixed results with the A70S. Sometimes it works, most times it doesn't. :(

This seems to work:
Droid X Bluetooth on. (can already be on)
Archos A70S, Bluetooth on. (can already be on)
Archos A70S, Tether on. (don't wait for an error or message, do the next step quickly)
Droid X, Click on A70S in Bluetooth settings to connect. (Should show "Connected to panu".)
Archos A70S, should indicate that tether is connected.
The A70S should now be connect via the tether. :D

This seems to be working well based on several tests. I'm going to use this more over the next week, so that will be the real test!
Archos A70S & Motorola Droid X.
Genfan10
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Genfan10 »

I need to dump my blackberry and get a android based phone. So many more possibilities..

and a step by step how to would be appreciated. I wanna try it out with a friends phone
UniMatrix
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by UniMatrix »

StealthX wrote:Archos A70S - 2.2.1 (2.0.71)
Bluetooth Tether

I setup Bluetooth tether via the Archos instructions, but getting it to work has been problematic. Also tried Wireless Tether in Bluetooth mode (great app, works well with my notebooks), but also with mixed results with the A70S. Sometimes it works, most times it doesn't. :(

This seems to work:
Archos A70S, Tether on. (don't wait for an error or message, do the next step quickly)
Droid X, Click on A70S in Bluetooth settings to connect. (Should show "Connected to panu".)

This seems to be working well based on several tests. I'm going to use this more over the next week, so that will be the real test!
Sorry, doen't work for me. I cannot click 'connect' on the phone or tablet. One click does nothing, long click only gives 'unpair' :(
StealthX
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by StealthX »

UniMatrix wrote:
StealthX wrote:Archos A70S - 2.2.1 (2.0.71)
Bluetooth Tether

This seems to work:

Sorry, doen't work for me. I cannot click 'connect' on the phone or tablet. One click does nothing, long click only gives 'unpair' :(
Are you using the exact same hardware and firmware versions? That step in theory should not be required, but is, at least for me, with the DX/A70S combination.
Archos A70S & Motorola Droid X.
dervari
Archos User
Archos User

Post by dervari »

Pantech C740 (Matrix) w/AT&T works great via BT.

Also confirmed that the old Nokia 6555/AT&T works with BT also.
-----
Richard
Sr Network Engineer
ericmartin152
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by ericmartin152 »

How? I have an EVO 4G and cannot get it to tether to the 10.1.
Hexidecimal wrote:Phone: HTC Hero

Tablet: Archos 101 16GB

Wireless DUN tethering via Bluetooth works fine. Occasionally takes 2 attempts to connect.
Arkiv
Archos User
Archos User

Post by Arkiv »

James800 wrote:Paired up my A101 via bluetooth on a Sprint TP2 running the Energy ROM. APN internet.com user name and password blank.
Hmmm, I am having difficulty tethering my A70 with a Samsung M510. I have tethered this phone via DUN/bluetooth with my netbook & Nokia N800. However this is the first time I have been asked for an "APN" instead of a number to dial (#777). I've tried "internet.com", "Sprint", "Sprint PCS", "Sprint PCS Vision", "PCS Vision," "internet", and all sorts of variations on the theme and none of them seem to work. The bluetooth is properly paired and links up, but the data connection always fails.

I have seen a few suggestions to leave the APN blank, but the A70 configuration utility will not let me leave it blank--I get an error message indicating that I have to fill in an APN. Anyone know any tricks for leaving the APN blank, or have a suggestion for a different APN to use with Sprint? Thanks very much in advance for any guidance!
[email protected] - rooted 2.1.08 - Zeam

Return to “General Archos Gen8: Archos 28, 32, 43, 70 and 101 Internet Tablets”