Froyo firmware 2.0.54 released, report bugs here

General Gen8 Archos Tablet discussions
ArchosGamer
Archos User
Archos User

Re: Froyo firmware 2.0.54 released, report bugs here

Post by ArchosGamer »

gazzas wrote: I'll be about to demo the system to a friend and the thing just locks up! I'll pick up the device and it takes 30 secs to render the icons (every time I rotate it takes 30 secs).
People have reported solving that issue by changing launchers. The two often recommend on the forum are Launcher Pro and ADW.
gazzas wrote: Another new issue appeared over the weekend: Sometimes when the device restarts it fails to recognise the internal storage and requires serveral reboots to get the "Preparing storage..." dialog. When this happens all of my apps saved to storage show as not installed.
SD storage issues including disappearing files and apps has been fixed by creating a new file in your SD card folders and naming it ".nomedia"

Try those two changes and see if that gets rid of your issues.
broken Archos70
Titanium 80 comming
quindo
Archos User
Archos User

Post by quindo »

Running 2.2 Froyo.

Had the problem that I couldn't connect my Archos to my PC (Ubuntu).
Looking in the syslog file I found that the fat had read errors.
Normally on a linux-desktop I would run a fsck.vfat on the drive and fix the errors.
Unfortunately Android (at least this Archos version) doesn't include a fsck.vfat option.
So I had to format the storage device (and loose all my books) with the format option that is provided by Archos (thank you for that).
After that USB connection works again.

So thank you Archos for including the option to format the storage device and if possible could you include a fsck option?

B.t.w. WiFi is working now with 2.2 (WPA-PSK, worked unreliable with 2.1).
quindo
Archos User
Archos User

Post by quindo »

ArchosGamer wrote:
gazzas wrote: Another new issue appeared over the weekend: Sometimes when the device restarts it fails to recognise the internal storage and requires serveral reboots to get the "Preparing storage..." dialog. When this happens all of my apps saved to storage show as not installed.
SD storage issues including disappearing files and apps has been fixed by creating a new file in your SD card folders and naming it ".nomedia"

Try those two changes and see if that gets rid of your issues.
Looking at this and at my own issue with usb connection could it be that somehow the file systems on the device get corrupted? Could be that the media scanner corrupts the file-system if it is interupted. I've always found (v)FAT to be unreliable but that is my (very) biased opinion :-)
CrunchyDoodle
Archos User
Archos User

Post by CrunchyDoodle »

It would be nice if these things worked like they should and were extremely stable - quite a fantasy, eh?. Oops, my Canadian roots just showed up. The truth is these computer based gadgets are all flaky to some extent. The manufacturers are taking some shortcuts to get their stuff to market before the buzz dies out. Then there is the compromises they have to make to achieve the right price point. Archos chose to be a lot less expensive than Apple. We need to be at least a little tolerant of this so we can enjoy working and playing with them.

OK, now to your problem. I suggest a full reformat and reinstall of the OS. You only had two applications installed, after all. It would be a shame to take all the time to replace this thing when a full redo of the firmware might clean it up nicely.

Bye. 8)
jrunnah wrote:Hey All,

New to the Archos and the forum. not sure whether this is a firmware problem or actually a hardware problem but here goes: Archos A70S internet tablet.

Just got the unit on the 7th, of course it wanted the OTA update for froyo. That went through ok. had been using it fine up until the 9th. only apps installed were teamviewer and angry birds. Thursday I started up AB and shot one bird and the unit locked up HARD. It got stuck on game screen and no power button/combination of buttons did anything, so I let it drain the battery overnight. the next day I let it charge for 10 hours, 4 hours into that the archos splash screen came up but still could not reset/power off (I know you have to hold it down for 10-15 secs).

assuming the unit was just bad I disconnected the power and started an RMA through the reseller. today I go to package the unit up, I pressed the power button accidentally and BAM, it turned on! The OS was acting very flaky so I rebooted the unit and now its working fine (even playing angry birds).

Has anyone had this issue where not even holding the power button reset it? I don't want to send this thing back if I know its a fixable firmware bug (I already had to wait for it on back order).
Also, has anyone performed a format + AOS reload, and has that relieved any problems?

Thanks in advance!
ashram
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by ashram »

my issue is constant freezing when booting with my 32gn microsd card. verified authentic and filled her up and everything worked fine.

it takes 3-5 reboots for it to work :(
FZelle
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by FZelle »

When the sd is filled, it gets scanned after the reboot.
This scan is very slow and the system feels like frozen.

If you stop this, it gets worse, so let it run once and than try only to go into sleepmode until the next Firmware comes along.
kenyu73
Archos User
Archos User

Post by kenyu73 »

FZelle wrote:When the sd is filled, it gets scanned after the reboot.

If you stop this, it gets worse, so let it run once and than try only to go into sleepmode until the next Firmware comes along.
I believe if you add a ",nomedia" 0 byte file to large folders, it wont scan them.
FZelle
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by FZelle »

It would be .nomedia, but then you don't have the pics and music in the gallery oder musicplayer.
ashram
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by ashram »

considering i only have about 7GB on the card (about 80 pics, 15 videos so far) and i've let it sit for 45 minutes, i'm 99% sure it's frozen.

the .nomedia in unused folders or folders with no media has helped a little.... instead of 3-5 reboots i'm down to 1-2 before it want's to play nice.

tried the card in 3 windows mobile phones with zero issue as well as the pc....
fanofyou
Archos User
Archos User

Post by fanofyou »

ashram wrote:

considering i only have about 7GB on the card (about 80 pics, 15 videos so far) and i've let it sit for 45 minutes, i'm 99% sure it's frozen.

the .nomedia in unused folders or folders with no media has helped a little.... instead of 3-5 reboots i'm down to 1-2 before it want's to play nice.

tried the card in 3 windows mobile phones with zero issue as well as the pc....

Do you have a virus program on there also. I had an issue where all my music was being scanned and froze until the Archos rebooted itself, originally i thought it was the Micro SD card than i noticed the media was being scanned by the Archos and the Virus protection. When i removed the virus protection the freezes stopped. At least on the media scanning.... :oops:
kenyu73
Archos User
Archos User

Post by kenyu73 »

kenyu73 wrote:

I believe if you add a ",nomedia" 0 byte file to large folders, it wont scan them.
FZelle wrote:It would be .nomedia, but then you don't have the pics and music in the gallery oder musicplayer.
Make that ".nomedia" (a dot not a comma)
ashram
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by ashram »

kenyu73 wrote:
kenyu73 wrote:

FZelle wrote:It would be .nomedia, but then you don't have the pics and music in the gallery oder musicplayer.
Make that ".nomedia" (a dot not a comma)
that comma was a typo.... i typed the message on my phone on the train (too packed to pull the 101 out)

for fanofyou, no anti virus here.... i think it may just be freaking out with the large card, but i can wait for archos to release a better froyo rom.
quindo
Archos User
Archos User

Post by quindo »

quindo wrote:Running 2.2 Froyo.

Had the problem that I couldn't connect my Archos to my PC (Ubuntu).
Looking in the syslog file I found that the fat had read errors.
Normally on a linux-desktop I would run a fsck.vfat on the drive and fix the errors.
Unfortunately Android (at least this Archos version) doesn't include a fsck.vfat option.
So I had to format the storage device (and loose all my books) with the format option that is provided by Archos (thank you for that).
After that USB connection works again.

So thank you Archos for including the option to format the storage device and if possible could you include a fsck option?

B.t.w. WiFi is working now with 2.2 (WPA-PSK, worked unreliable with 2.1).
Well, a few days later. And the same problem is back!
Again vfat troubles. Looks like the same place.
[513833.425432] FAT: Directory bread(block 28458) failed
[513833.425437] FAT: Directory bread(block 28459) failed
[513833.425442] FAT: Directory bread(block 28460) failed
[513833.425447] FAT: Directory bread(block 28461) failed
[513833.425451] FAT: Directory bread(block 28462) failed
[513833.425456] FAT: Directory bread(block 28463) failed
[513833.425461] FAT: Directory bread(block 28464) failed
[513833.425466] FAT: Directory bread(block 28465) failed
[513833.425520] FAT: Directory bread(block 28458) failed
[513833.425525] FAT: Directory bread(block 28459) failed
[513833.425530] FAT: Directory bread(block 28460) failed
[513833.425535] FAT: Directory bread(block 28461) failed
[513833.425540] FAT: Directory bread(block 28462) failed
[513833.425545] FAT: Directory bread(block 28463) failed
[513833.425549] FAT: Directory bread(block 28464) failed
[513833.425554] FAT: Directory bread(block 28465) failed

This realy bites!

b.t.w. This is the INTERNAL storage. No micro-sd card in the device yet. So no way to backup the data!
gazzas
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by gazzas »

Update on issues:
I did a full reformat of the device and have found that the issues still persist. I ran the device without any additional Apps for a while and still saw problems :(

I've solved the home screen lag by installing ADW Launcher and stopper the internal storage mounting issue with the "nomedia" fix. However still getting random crashes, random restarts, poor performance and corrupt video capture. Interestingly enough using the setCPU to clock the processor from the under clocked 800mhz to the correct 1ghz speed fixes the performance issues!

I've been also using watchdog to monitor the device and have found when the device crashes, performance decreases or the battery just drains that the "Base System" linux process is consuming 97% of the processor! I am suspecting a bug in a driver.

I've had several two replies from Archos support, one saying the network shares issues is being investigated and another asking me to update my firmware to this Froyo firmware! Obviously they did not read my support request!

I'm now seriously losing patience and have the wife asking me can we record the kids opening the presents of Christmas day :(

Gary
CrunchyDoodle
Archos User
Archos User

Post by CrunchyDoodle »

In a word - I'm dissapointed. OK, that's two words. After a long wait, my Archos 101 with 16 GB showed up yesterday. I fired it up and the problems started. Nothing new for those who are following this tread. I will be trying some of the fixes that proved successful for others and hope it makes this thing usable. Because, right now it's not a useable tablet PC. :(

Here's hoping Archos comes through with some real fixes soon.

Bye. 8)
101luva
Archos User
Archos User

Post by 101luva »

CrunchyDoodle wrote:In a word - I'm dissapointed. OK, that's two words. After a long wait, my Archos 101 with 16 GB showed up yesterday. I fired it up and the problems started. Nothing new for those who are following this tread. I will be trying some of the fixes that proved successful for others and hope it makes this thing usable. Because, right now it's not a useable tablet PC. :(

Bye. 8)
I won't be getting my Archos 101/16 until Christmas. I just want to be able to use it "out of the box" and not have to do any of the tweaking that everyone here seems to do just to be able to have it function properly. Even the recommended upgrade to Froyo is questionable, given all the problems others are having after upgrading. The only things I would do is install a new launcher and the Market. I am not tech enough to do anything/everything you guys do and I worry I will break it somehow, so I will have to be happy with it "out of the box."
I'm so disheartened to hear of the many disappointed and unhappy people who are experiencing way too many issues with their device, and these are the ones who have the ability to tweak it here and there, which I don't have. I just may send it back without opening and wait until next year to see what else may be available that fits my simple needs. I had my heart set on the Archos 101, so I'm not happy with all the negative reviews and the prospect of having to send it back. The question is should I keep my Archos 101 and hope that soon, the issues are resolved and the bugs fixed or, should I send it back and buy something else that is more reliable, not so labor intensive, and at the same time, is simple to use?
Just wondering... :?:
ashram
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Post by ashram »

well, MKV's of the hd, subtitled variety seems to bee my issue.... added a few more and the 101 was dead to the world with an sd card inserted (1 hour wait and still frozen) removed all mkv's (after removing the recently added ones and watching the ones i had left) and .nomedia in a few folders and almost no freezing during startup or insertion (after the prepping sd card message)
CrunchyDoodle
Archos User
Archos User

Post by CrunchyDoodle »

It seems to me no Generation 8 Archos Internet Tablet is usable right out the box. Mine sure wasn't. The original Android 2.1 load would go dumb on me for many minutes at a time. By that I mean touching the screen evoked no reaction for several minutes at a time. The soft buttons along the right edge seemed to always work, as well as plugging in a USB keyboard. That is not the experience iPad people have when they open the box and pull out their baby Apple. Not that I really expected the Archos 101 to be superior to the iPad in every way, as the marketing hype would lead you to believe. I would expect the fundamentals of being a computer; a human interface that reacts when you invoke it.

I expect in some months Archos will finally have an Android load that works nearly as well as the hype. For now, I'm trying all the tricks I can think of, as well as all the tricks I read about. I can't wait for February when the iPad 2 is released and eclipses every struggling Android tablet out there.

Bye. 8)
101luva wrote:
CrunchyDoodle wrote:In a word - I'm dissapointed. OK, that's two words. After a long wait, my Archos 101 with 16 GB showed up yesterday. I fired it up and the problems started. Nothing new for those who are following this tread. I will be trying some of the fixes that proved successful for others and hope it makes this thing usable. Because, right now it's not a useable tablet PC. :(

Bye. 8)
I won't be getting my Archos 101/16 until Christmas. I just want to be able to use it "out of the box" and not have to do any of the tweaking that everyone here seems to do just to be able to have it function properly. Even the recommended upgrade to Froyo is questionable, given all the problems others are having after upgrading. The only things I would do is install a new launcher and the Market. I am not tech enough to do anything/everything you guys do and I worry I will break it somehow, so I will have to be happy with it "out of the box."
I'm so disheartened to hear of the many disappointed and unhappy people who are experiencing way too many issues with their device, and these are the ones who have the ability to tweak it here and there, which I don't have. I just may send it back without opening and wait until next year to see what else may be available that fits my simple needs. I had my heart set on the Archos 101, so I'm not happy with all the negative reviews and the prospect of having to send it back. The question is should I keep my Archos 101 and hope that soon, the issues are resolved and the bugs fixed or, should I send it back and buy something else that is more reliable, not so labor intensive, and at the same time, is simple to use?
Just wondering... :?:
aicragdrahcir
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by aicragdrahcir »

Well I'm surprised with all of the troubles being reported here. I received my A70 two weeks ago. I did have many issues with lockups and wifi connections but when I did a clean upgrade to froyo, 99% of my problems were fixed. My wifi connections are now very reliable. I have even been able to to do music and movie streaming with UPnP. I do have an occasional lockup when viewing movies when I use the scroll bar to jump back and forth through the movie. But otherwise, I have had no significant trouble.

I have installed Market with no problems. I have tried some alternate media players but they generally do not work as well as the built-in players. So far, none of the Market players I've tried support UPnP. I have installed Nook with absolutely no trouble. The Dolphin Browser does seem to be superior to the built-in Browser both in function and lockup resistance but I haven't really tried Browser much since I upgraded to Froyo. All of the Google apps that came with gApps4Archos are working well except for YouTube. I will be implementing the fixed mentioned above.

I wonder if some of the trouble people are having is related to Market downloads.

But I do have a bug to report with the Video player. MP4 files have an aspect ratio distortion. The vertical axis is slightly stretched making people appear to have elongated faces. These same video files do not have this distortion problem using various video players on WIN 7. Curiously, other video formats, (AVI and WMV) do not have this problem.
deet
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by deet »

CrunchyDoodle wrote:It seems to me no Generation 8 Archos Internet Tablet is usable right out the box. Mine sure wasn't.
Mine sure was. The more I use it (70IT) the happier I am with my purchase.
A80S-V5(T1) OMAP4460 ES.1.1

Return to “General Archos Gen8: Archos 28, 32, 43, 70 and 101 Internet Tablets”