General Gen8 Archos Tablet discussions
dljor
Archos User
Archos User

Re: Testing new Froyo firmware, unlimited app space inside

Post by dljor »

Hey

Anyone tested Kindle app?

Have they changed the soft buttons at all? Are the buttons still in the way while playing some games?

Thanks.
Charmed_Empress
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by Charmed_Empress »

I wonder how Archos actually test their firmware. How many beta testers like Charbax are there to test it? And how can one join their beta testing program?
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

Charmed_Empress wrote:I wonder how Archos actually test their firmware. How many beta testers like Charbax are there to test it? And how can one join their beta testing program?
The admins of archoslounge.net and jbmm.fr are testing those too. Maybe in future beta firmwares Archos decides to invite a few more beta testers.

By the way, Android version is now 2.2.1 since this latest beta update.
Charmed_Empress
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Charbax wrote:
Charmed_Empress wrote:I wonder how Archos actually test their firmware. How many beta testers like Charbax are there to test it? And how can one join their beta testing program?
The admins of archoslounge.net and jbmm.fr are testing those too. Maybe in future beta firmwares Archos decides to invite a few more beta testers.

Hi Charbax,

I hope they open it up for those who wants to test using the beta firmware. ;-)

You mean the soon-to-be-released (NOT!) firmware you testing is Android 2.2.1? Wonderful. I wonder when they will release it. November seems to end soon.

Also, are you able to test flash games on the new firmware? And are you able to test whether it can now use 3G USB Modem on it, please?

Thanks so much.
Harfainx

Post by Harfainx »

Charmed_Empress wrote:And are you able to test whether it can now use 3G USB Modem on it, please?
Highly doubtful. I would wager to say it's not going to happen.
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

Harfainx wrote:
Charmed_Empress wrote:And are you able to test whether it can now use 3G USB Modem on it, please?
Highly doubtful. I would wager to say it's not going to happen.
I'm pretty sure Archos says it's going to happen. I haven't got one of those USB modems to test if it already works now.
Harfainx

Post by Harfainx »

If archos pushes something like that out, it will have great implications for the rest of the Android world.

I honestly didn't think Archos would push driver support like that, but it is a very pleasant surprise.
Farsquidge
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Farsquidge »

Driver support for 3G USB modems is already implemented on some Chinese Tablets...

Look at post #7 from Hajile

http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=41395
605Wi, A5IMT, A5IT, A7o 8GB:2.4.82
Charmed_Empress
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Harfainx wrote:If archos pushes something like that out, it will have great implications for the rest of the Android world.

I honestly didn't think Archos would push driver support like that, but it is a very pleasant surprise.
To remain competitive with the many new Android tablets and gadgets coming out, Archos needs to offer what others may not. E.g. is 3G support, whether via a built-in 3g modem in upcoming products and ability to support 3g USB modem like those now available on some of the China tablets.

Archos also needs to provide better firmware updates, and ensure that timeline are seriously adhered to rather than disappointing customers time and time again. Most customers who buy a product from Archos, will definitely buy newer Archos product if they have confidence on the support that Archos is able to provide. Delaying a firmware update, or slow or no product support is unacceptable in a competitive business markets. Having one sale today without a promising future sale from the same customer is certainly not a clever business move.

I seen so many threads too about waiting for their orders to be fulfilled. If a customer finally cancels the order, the loss is certainly Archos.
AllenPapapetrou
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by AllenPapapetrou »

Charmed_Empress wrote: I seen so many threads too about waiting for their orders to be fulfilled. If a customer finally cancels the order, the loss is certainly Archos.
Not really a loss for Archos because the demand is so great.

Allen
-An old geek 8)
5IT|A70S|A101
Hajile_Ibushi
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Hajile_Ibushi »

Farsquidge wrote:.
Driver support for 3G USB modems is already implemented on some Chinese Tablets...

Look at post #7 from Hajile

http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=41395
They also have these

Combination USB hub and LAN :D
bananapineapple
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by bananapineapple »

3 more days to go............
Froyo really will come out before Dec.............??
...........><...
chul
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Post by chul »

Hajile_Ibushi wrote: They also have these

Combination USB hub and LAN :D

WOW! This is a great piece of hardware (if its really working) !
Hajile_Ibushi
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by Hajile_Ibushi »

chul wrote:WOW! This is a great piece of hardware (if its really working) !
It's just a docking port. You see those slits along the sides of the china slates that's supposed to let you put it on a stand? This goes there.
jmfrost
Archos User
Archos User

Re: I am testing new Froyo firmware, unlimited app space ins

Post by jmfrost »

rushmore wrote:
jimmyche wrote:Rushmore, where are you? it's time for you to come back to Archos.

I shall compare the Gtablet and 101 and see which to keep.
Dump the GT! :evil: :lol: :D :)
rushmore
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by rushmore »

Charbax wrote:

Charbax,

In regards to the revised app storage you are testing, is the internal space for the 8gb and 16gb now only for app storage? Unless Archos came up with a dynamic method for allocating space on the fly, Android framework requires a specific allocation for device storage for security reasons and the space can not be shared by media. It is part of the defined housekeeping parameters when the device boots up.

The Droid X allocates all 8gb for apps, which (ironically) is overkill, since all apps force large data storage to the microsd (examples are NOVA, Lets Golf, Raging Thunder 2, Quake 1, 2 and 3). Due to the fact that apps force large data files to the microsd regardless, anything above 3gb would be overkill for app storage and the remaining space would be wasted (no media).

Great news if Archos / Android modified the framework to allow dynamic displacement of media for apps, but does not seem practical and would be a major alteration of Android and a LOT of testing to validate.
gottahavit
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Post by gottahavit »

well if they gave all the internal storage to apps..
1) what a waste
2)glad i didn't buy the 16gb
3)feel bad for anyone who got the 250gb

i cant imagine the would do this especially with the a70 250gb
Harfainx

Post by Harfainx »

I don't think they're going to make it dedicated to only internal app storage.

I believe they'll unlock the NAND and make an EXT3 partition on the drive, and have the partition dynamically grow when needed.
dljor
Archos User
Archos User

Post by dljor »

dljor wrote:Hey

Anyone tested Kindle app?

Have they changed the soft buttons at all? Are the buttons still in the way while playing some games?

Thanks.

Nobody?
Charbax
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Charbax »

Yeah I guess it's dynamic cause all my multimedia files are still both on internal and MicroSD storage.

But I am trying to find out which apps can be stored on internal storage and which can't. Angry Birds, Asphalt5 can and are automatically stored on internal storage for example, but my version of Aldiko, Flash Player, Fring, Skype, etc do not.. I guess it's the standard Android 2.2 thing of apps2sd, for some reason only some types of apps can go there.

Maybe Cajl has better understanding how the internal storage deal has been implemented.

Return to “General Archos Gen8: Archos 28, 32, 43, 70 and 101 Internet Tablets”